997 Virginia Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30306Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.murphys-atlanta-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 4048720904
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm;
Dinner Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Dinner Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ian Winslade
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Tuesday Wine Tastings, Winemaker Dinners, Thirsty Thursday's and Meatless Monday's. "Like" us on Facebook for updates.
A word from Murphy's
Celebrating 30 years of service, Murphy’s is one of Atlanta’s best-loved restaurants. Located in the trendy Virginia Highlands, it is the long-standing hub of neighborhood camaraderie and the choice destination for visitors seeking the epicenter of the district’s shopping and nightlife. Tom Murphy’s acclaimed restaurant brings in the crowds with the perfect combination of upscale comfort food, unpretentious service, a cozy, high-energy setting and excellent value. The interior combines rustic, exposed-brick and French café doors with modern design elements for a light, airy effect by day and a warm, sparkling atmosphere by night. A new renovation adds a sophisticated martini and wine bar and a sleek retail wine shop that showcases an extensive and user-friendly wine collection and hosts weekly wine tasting and seminars.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Murphy's reviews from OpenTable diners
218 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (156)fit for foodies (93)great for brunch (92)notable wine list (90)great for outdoor dining (85)special occasion (74)great for lunch (67)romantic (65)good for groups (43)hot spot (28)vibrant bar scene (25)kid-friendly (18)scenic view (16)late-night find (10)Show More
- Another great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014I have been eating at Murphy's since it opened in its original location. Though I'm sure that Tom Murphy has made his fortune, I continue to go because whoever runs the restaurant is about 95% successful in hiring a great wait staff. The service is almost always five-star great, the food is enjoyable and well crafted, and the beverage lists are manageable and sparkling -- and your server knows the selections inside and out. Murphy's is an especially nice place for special work lunches (birthdays, etc.), and almost no one makes lunch reservations. Life was better when Murphy's was open every day for breakfast, but we all weighed a lot more then, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2014We went to celebrate my daughters birthday. The waiter was very knowledgeable on the microbrews and wines served there. The gazpacho soup was outstanding as were the beef briskett and trout. Yummy brownie and cobler desserts. A great time and wasn't rushed out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I came here with my friends to celebrate my birthday. This was my first time at this restaurant and I would definitely come back. All of the employees beginning with the hostess were so friendly and pleasant. The food was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a must eat placeKlamathDined on 8/15/2014Murphy's is the definition of a neighborhood gem, great vibe, great food, and great drink offerings paired with exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly very slow serviceSeafoodloverDined on 8/15/2014I made early reservations for dinner (6:00) because my friend & I had to be somewhere by 7:30. At first the waiter was very attentive, but then it was like he disappeared. They were not busy that early on a Friday night, but it took forever to get our appetizer and entrees. The salmon special was $23, which we thought was pretty pricey. It came with a cabbage slaw, which you could not consider a side dish, because it was really just a fork full of shredded cabbage. Also came with about a tablespoon of cheese grits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second disappointing visit in a rowBfarr530VIPDined on 8/14/2014This is the second time in about 6 weeks I dined at Murphy's and found the entree not up to their normal quality level. This time was a halibut entree (which I was certain it really was) that had a very stringy texture. Unusual for halibut. I ordered fish the previous visit too which was overcooked. Maybe a simple take away is to avoid fish at Murphy's.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Always love Murphy's. It's like coming home since I'm out in the burbs now.Special Features:
- Food was disappointing this timeElizabethF1963Dined on 8/12/2014Monk fish was very small and tough - Should have sent it back.
- When in Atlanta.....barristerDined on 8/12/2014........Murphy's is always a treat! Hadn't been there for a few years, but it still maintains its high standards. Imaginative menu, excellent food and uniquely pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:
- WayneVIPDined on 8/10/2014I've never had a bad meal at Murphy's, but I want to praise the servers. They are always knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. My wife has developed a food allergy and Ian, our server, knew precisely what was in each dish ordered and thought ahead to leave out an ingredient that might have caused a problem. The food was delicious, but our server's thoughtfulness made us feel we were at home, taken care of by an attentive host. We've been Murphy regulars for a long time and just as we've never had a bad meal, we've never experienced bad service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Food and service were great! Outdoor seating was lovely and atmosphere was calm!Special Features:
- Consistent but nothing specialLagunamanDined on 8/8/2014Murphy's, as always, is consistent but nothing special. Moderate portions and slightly above average prices make this a place you fall back on when you're pressed without another option. A $14 hamburger is far inferior to one across the street at YEAH Burger or George's. The more substantial menu items (trout, steak, pork chop, etc.) are acceptable but can be found better at other spots close by. More a place to see and be seen than for the food. Seems to attract the "burbanites" more than the "locals"...which says a lot.
- always fine foodHippyDined on 8/7/2014Everytime we go there for diner, we enjoy fresh and delicious fine cooking. Service is kind, helping and excellent: it's always a good thing to come back !Special Features:
- Murphys is a great placefoodie2VIPDined on 8/6/2014We love this restaurant. Food is really good. I love the sausage and beef meatloaf, yes meatloaf, gourmet style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Dinner SpotCHBNADined on 8/1/2014They sat us near the bathroom and cash register, which, while not a sin, was not ideal. The food came out WAYYY too fast....like within 5-7 minutes of ordering and didn't give us a chance to enjoy drinks. The Friday salmon special was "okay" but I would opt for something else. My boyfriend had the sausage meatloaf and it was tasty. Overall it's a decent little place, but I won't be rushing to get back.Special Features:
- As always great experience.hammyDined on 8/1/2014If you haven't been to Murphy's - check it out. If you are a wine enthusiast, visit Leslie to chat about what's hot or answer any questions you have. The bar is comfortable and it's perfect for date night, girls night or guys night. Then head to the restaurant for a fantastic meal with outstanding service. We started with the fresh artichokes. First you get the smell of the grill and then heaven. The lemon aioli is fantastic. The wild shrimp scampi with risotto is divine! Another favorite is the Waygu Flat Iron; cooked to perfection. And those mushrooms!!! Sorry - no room for desert. But the neighboring table had carrot cake and it looked amazing. By the look on his face - it was amazing. Highly recommend!!Special Features:
- EatWellVIPDined on 7/30/2014The food was excellent and the unexpectedly cool breeze moving through the inside dining area (from the outdoor terrace) was delightful. Our waitress was energetic, but rushed us, and did not offer dessert or coffee before delivering our check (which we had not yet requested). The volume was extremely loud and made it difficult to talk. The latter things tempered the pleasure of the former ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningCriticDined on 7/26/2014We celebrated a very special occasion with our granddaughter moving into town to attend Emory. The food, wine and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Noisy!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/26/2014We love Murphy's and go there fairly frequently since we can walk there from our house. We love the food and this last visit was no exception. We also find the service to be consistently very good and have a particular waiter - Dustin - that always takes care of us. However, the past several times we have been, there have been large tables that are VERY LOUD. On our last visit, the table was so loud that the party at the table sitting next to us left without ordering. We left without having dessert because we were so tired of not being able to hear each other speak. Most of the times we have experienced this were in the front room and I think there may be an acoustical issue. I think Murphy's management should be more on top of loud guests.Special Features:
- big party- so accommodatinggr84groupsDined on 7/26/2014Came in with a party of 8 and our waiter and the staff were great! Excellent menu something for everyone… also great wine and cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Value for moneyAnthonyVIPDined on 7/25/2014As always excellent food. Very tasty choices and great value for your money. We are 'foodies' so distinguish quite a bit the "good from the mediocre" . And Murphy's ranks in the good category. Service is very friendly sometimes even a tad familiar but certain items can be slow: drink service is one of those. Still we like to come here regularly and are extra pleased that Murphy's is opening a restaurant in Vinings very soon called I believe: "Paces by Vinings". Terrific news.Special Features:
- EfficiencyWayneVIPDined on 7/21/2014We got seated for lunch at the same time as a party of 76. Our food and service weren't affected a bit, although I bet there were some wild goings on in the kitchen. Our server and another we had previously still found the time to be friendly. That says it all about Murphy's.Special Features:
- Great comfort food!foodie2VIPDined on 7/17/2014This restaurant has wonderful comfort food with a foodie twist, outstanding flavors and combinations. Valet parking a plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkaydecaturfoodieDined on 7/16/2014I've been a "regular" for over 25 yrs. Murphy's is always our go-to restaurant, but I noticed a couple of changes this time. Is it me, or are the martinis smaller?? Usually, two would be a lot, but I ended up ordering three "Cat's Meow" and still wasn't fazed:-/ The quantity in each glass was well below the rim, unlike days past when the drink was up to the rim. Also, the mussels used to come with more than just a piece of toasted bread. Our server was very nice but not the usual enthusiasm we enjoy at Murphy's. We were taken care of, but we felt the table of four next to us received more attention from our server....Still, I love Murphy's and am sure we'll be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/15/2014Service was ridiculously slow. After battling for a place to park, we sat at our table for nearly 20 minutes with empty water glasses, menus in front of us, and not a single visit from a server or management. The food was good, when we finally got it, but there are many restaurants in Atlanta that serve good food - this was nothing special. Also, it was so incredibly loud in the restaurant that we had to yell to be heard over our lunch. We probably won't be going back.
- Best salmon everTishDined on 7/14/2014The salmon dish was yummy and our server, Tom was incredible!!!!!!! One of our best dining experience ever...Special Features:
- Great experience at Murphy'sDJPtheFoodieVIPDined on 7/14/2014Everything was magnificent!!! The service was a delight and the food was scrumptious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeABProdsDined on 7/12/2014We got in quickly on a Sat night and had excellent service. The food was reasonably priced and was delicious!Special Features:
- dirtytiniDined on 7/12/2014The short rib special reminded the guys of Mom's Sunday night suppers (back then... roast beef). Yummy, comfort food. The ladies thought the dirty martini's were amazing. Just one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going, gone downhillOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/12/2014The menu has changed at Murphy's and not for the better. I ordered the summertime gnocchi and the sauce was way too smoky and bitter - weird - and gnocchi was wrong consistency. Salads are made ahead of time and are served way too cold - takes away from their flavor. Waiter was absolutely horrible and there are extra staff persons floating around that seem to serve little purpose and get in the way. Been coming to this restaurant since it very first opened and was a hole in the wall, and it's just lost its character. Major bummer.
- Low key perfectionTableboxDined on 7/11/2014Murphy's has a wide variety of entree choices, all with a local, southern spin on them to elevate each dish they have on their menu. We both ordered shrimp scampi and we're not disappointed. Unlike many restaurants with small wine by the glass offerings, Murphy's had quite a few choices in both reds and whites for many food pairings. We will certainly be returning and exploring more choices from both the dinner and the dessert menus.Special Features:
- Scrumptious MusselsOptickerDined on 7/11/2014We hadn't eaten at Murphy's for several years despite the fact that it is in our "dining area." Recently we returned and share a series of small plates for dinner. One was mussels. Wow! They were so good that within a month we went back. Each of use ordered the mussels along with an order of bread. The mussels are cooked in a tomato, garlic, and spice broth that is several cuts above the mussels we've had. Go get 'em!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just too loud, just okay foodMoonboyVIPDined on 7/10/2014Don't see what all the fuss is about, this restaurant is just okay. The noise level is so high you can not have a conversation with your guest, I felt like I was going crazy! The menu changes everyday, we must have hit it on a bad day. In no rush to go back.Special Features:
- Terrible ServiceDuncanVIPDined on 7/9/2014We live in the neighborhood and frequent Murphy's. This time was a major disappointment, mainly because of how bad our server was. Really ruined what we had looked forward to being a pleasant night out. Also, the mussels were bad. Every other one was not fresh and the "new" sauce was a butter over kill mess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Value!yorksnbeansDined on 7/9/2014Great food, service and atmosphere! We couldn't have chosen a better restaurant to meet up with old friends from college we haven't seen in 18 years! Everyone's meal was excellent and the service was superb!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/7/2014My wife ordered the salmon, and I ordered the shrimp scampi. Both were very good. The bread was delicious. I also ordered the summer bean soup, which was superb. We ordered a bottle of Vina Alberdi, which is a very good value from Spain, as well as being very tasty. Furthermore, it was wine discount night, which we didn't know, making the wine even better. The only minor drawback, was the tiny cup of cappuccino, which I drank in 4 sips. I rated the noise level as quiet, as it was a Monday night and there weren't many patrons. I'm sure on the weekend it is much noisier like most restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed TastebudsBemusedDined on 7/3/2014Having made our Thursday, July 3, evening reservation On-line where the dinner menu indicated that that evening's special was a mouthwatering duck breast, I was disappointed (and a tad miffed) that the menu still On-line and the duck breast were kaput, replaced by a different menu that even today, July 8, does not appear On-line. What we did order, the mussels and the two different wild shrimp dishes, were superb. So, I give Murphy's five stars for the food we did have, but my disappointed taste buds insist I give managment no stars and thus knock down the overall rating of our experience to three stars. We'll be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always so enjoyable....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014We couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable experience, as always: our shared Cheese Starter was a hit/the crunchy-smokey grilled bread was fabulous with the cheeses; my dining companion ordered the Trout and simply 'cleaned her plate' ...and my Springer Mountain Chicken was juicy with crispy skin, good mashed potatoes and bright crisp-tender asparagus spears. Our server said he was In Training, but we had no hiccups/the service was attentive and timely. All in all, a highly enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as AlwaysDaleDempDined on 6/28/2014This time I took my kids to see their reaction. Everyone enjoyed being there. The food was perfect.Special Features:
- wonderful for 33 yearsvanilla33VIPDined on 6/27/2014For 33 years they are still doing it right. Great food , service & value, & valet parking. Love the patio as noise level is ok, too loud inside.They should be around another 33 years. hope I am to enjoy it.Special Features: