997 Virginia Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30306Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.murphys-atlanta-restaurant.com/
- Phone: 4048720904
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm;
Dinner Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm;
Dinner Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ian Winslade
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Tuesday Wine Tastings, Winemaker Dinners, Thirsty Thursday's and Meatless Monday's. "Like" us on Facebook for updates.
A word from Murphy's
Celebrating 30 years of service, Murphy’s is one of Atlanta’s best-loved restaurants. Located in the trendy Virginia Highlands, it is the long-standing hub of neighborhood camaraderie and the choice destination for visitors seeking the epicenter of the district’s shopping and nightlife. Tom Murphy’s acclaimed restaurant brings in the crowds with the perfect combination of upscale comfort food, unpretentious service, a cozy, high-energy setting and excellent value. The interior combines rustic, exposed-brick and French café doors with modern design elements for a light, airy effect by day and a warm, sparkling atmosphere by night. A new renovation adds a sophisticated martini and wine bar and a sleek retail wine shop that showcases an extensive and user-friendly wine collection and hosts weekly wine tasting and seminars.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Murphy's - Best Restaurants in Virginia Highland ›
Murphy's reviews from OpenTable diners
210 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (148)fit for foodies (101)great for brunch (96)notable wine list (92)great for outdoor dining (81)special occasion (70)great for lunch (66)romantic (53)good for groups (41)hot spot (33)vibrant bar scene (27)kid-friendly (21)scenic view (12)late-night find (6)Show More
- What a lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014My partner and I have a midweek date night, and this was the perfect spot. We were both new to Murphy's, and we were immediately entranced by the wine shop and bakery. Everything we ordered for dinner was lovely. That brisket is out of this world! Thank you for a lovely evening! We will be back soon.Special Features:
- Great, not outstanding, but great.MarkVIPDined on 9/13/2014Four of us went last Saturday evening to celebrate my wife's birthday. It was early 530, and in spite of it being a light crowd, service, at least to begin with, was slow, very friendly, just slow. We ordered drinks and it took at least 15 minute for them to show up. Our server, Samantha was helpful in making selections from the menu and with our drink orders too. After the slow "to get our drinks", thing, it the pace picked up and spacing was fine. Samantha was very friendly and interested in what was going on with us and even gave our table a free dessert to share, which tasted fabulous. We will return.Special Features:
- great nightAtlantaeaterDined on 9/12/2014You definitely need a reservation, and expect valet to be busy. We were early so had to wait, but were seated right at our reservation time. Space is at a premium, so you're pretty close to other diners, but not uncomfortably so. The food is delicious--we had the meatballs appetizer, the burger, and the special (salmon). All done to perfection.Special Features:
- Neighborhood favoriteJillVIPDined on 9/12/2014Always love going to Murphy's. great food. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunch spot.SilasVIPDined on 9/8/2014Very good food. Friendly excellent service. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great food!DinnerDined on 9/7/2014We have been to this restaurant several times and are never disappointed.Special Features:
- Never expect less.macattackDined on 9/3/2014Always amazing. I always appreciate the service and quality of food. Usually, restaurants fall short in one category, but Murphy's never fails me. The only issue is getting your table at the requested time, because it's so popular.Special Features:
- Great food as usualTodger29Dined on 8/30/2014Busy night and service was slow but was not lacking.Special Features:
- Still goodmikeVIPDined on 8/30/2014Been going to this place when it moved here. Still a treatSpecial Features:
- Always great and reliableDWWDVIPDined on 8/29/2014Great food. Always delicious. Service is not as good as the past, but food has held up well.Special Features:
- we love murphy'sseriousVIPDined on 8/29/2014Murphy's just gets better and better. The only even slight negative was that our server was a bit on the serious side, although still very professional.Special Features:
- MrsGDined on 8/27/2014I took my Father to dinner and we had an excellent experience. The food was delectable, the service was stellar, the ambiance felt private and homey (if you will). I will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- the service timing was offOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014we need not get our drinks before our starters it really through the meal off by not having drinks or wine in a timely mannerSpecial Features:
- Awesome!vfeldmanDined on 8/23/2014Great food, great service..fresh, flavorful, great quality. Bonzo dessert is the best--would travel for that!Special Features:
- beverageDined on 8/22/2014Went with out of town friends and had another great meal.Special Features:
- Never Disappoints!!decaturfoodieDined on 8/22/2014As always, our food was wonderful. We really enjoyed our server who took good care of us. I still feel the martini glasses should be full and not so far below the rim......They used to be! The wine is also carefully measured, and you don't get much.....But Murphy's is a true favorite of ours for many years.....our old standby.....Special Features:
- Another great lunchJustWalkingDined on 8/18/2014I have been eating at Murphy's since it opened in its original location. Though I'm sure that Tom Murphy has made his fortune, I continue to go because whoever runs the restaurant is about 95% successful in hiring a great wait staff. The service is almost always five-star great, the food is enjoyable and well crafted, and the beverage lists are manageable and sparkling -- and your server knows the selections inside and out. Murphy's is an especially nice place for special work lunches (birthdays, etc.), and almost no one makes lunch reservations. Life was better when Murphy's was open every day for breakfast, but we all weighed a lot more then, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service Great foodCountryrxmanDined on 8/17/2014We went to celebrate my daughters birthday. The waiter was very knowledgeable on the microbrews and wines served there. The gazpacho soup was outstanding as were the beef briskett and trout. Yummy brownie and cobler desserts. A great time and wasn't rushed out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I came here with my friends to celebrate my birthday. This was my first time at this restaurant and I would definitely come back. All of the employees beginning with the hostess were so friendly and pleasant. The food was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a must eat placeKlamathDined on 8/15/2014Murphy's is the definition of a neighborhood gem, great vibe, great food, and great drink offerings paired with exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly very slow serviceSeafoodloverDined on 8/15/2014I made early reservations for dinner (6:00) because my friend & I had to be somewhere by 7:30. At first the waiter was very attentive, but then it was like he disappeared. They were not busy that early on a Friday night, but it took forever to get our appetizer and entrees. The salmon special was $23, which we thought was pretty pricey. It came with a cabbage slaw, which you could not consider a side dish, because it was really just a fork full of shredded cabbage. Also came with about a tablespoon of cheese grits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second disappointing visit in a rowBfarr530VIPDined on 8/14/2014This is the second time in about 6 weeks I dined at Murphy's and found the entree not up to their normal quality level. This time was a halibut entree (which I was certain it really was) that had a very stringy texture. Unusual for halibut. I ordered fish the previous visit too which was overcooked. Maybe a simple take away is to avoid fish at Murphy's.
- searsbackhomeDined on 8/14/2014Always love Murphy's. It's like coming home since I'm out in the burbs now.Special Features:
- Excellent!allyrw25Dined on 8/13/2014My experience was great! I met with my girlfriends to grab lunch and catch up, and the service was outstanding! The food was fresh, our server was friendly and we were served fast. I would recommend this place to anyone. The only downside is the parking, but the food is worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was disappointing this timeElizabethF1963Dined on 8/12/2014Monk fish was very small and tough - Should have sent it back.
- When in Atlanta.....barristerDined on 8/12/2014........Murphy's is always a treat! Hadn't been there for a few years, but it still maintains its high standards. Imaginative menu, excellent food and uniquely pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:
- WayneVIPDined on 8/10/2014I've never had a bad meal at Murphy's, but I want to praise the servers. They are always knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. My wife has developed a food allergy and Ian, our server, knew precisely what was in each dish ordered and thought ahead to leave out an ingredient that might have caused a problem. The food was delicious, but our server's thoughtfulness made us feel we were at home, taken care of by an attentive host. We've been Murphy regulars for a long time and just as we've never had a bad meal, we've never experienced bad service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Food and service were great! Outdoor seating was lovely and atmosphere was calm!Special Features:
- Consistent but nothing specialLagunamanDined on 8/8/2014Murphy's, as always, is consistent but nothing special. Moderate portions and slightly above average prices make this a place you fall back on when you're pressed without another option. A $14 hamburger is far inferior to one across the street at YEAH Burger or George's. The more substantial menu items (trout, steak, pork chop, etc.) are acceptable but can be found better at other spots close by. More a place to see and be seen than for the food. Seems to attract the "burbanites" more than the "locals"...which says a lot.
- always fine foodHippyDined on 8/7/2014Everytime we go there for diner, we enjoy fresh and delicious fine cooking. Service is kind, helping and excellent: it's always a good thing to come back !Special Features:
- still awesome 28 years later!gamgamVIPDined on 8/7/2014A go to restaurant to take our kids and their friends! They love the treat to a nice meal out and the menu choices and prices are perfect to make it a great option. We always sit outside. the servers do an awesome job of keeping the table moving along without rushing us. Portions are generous and we leave having enjoyed a night out with a feeling of being at someone's home! We cannot wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Murphys is a great placefoodie2VIPDined on 8/6/2014We love this restaurant. Food is really good. I love the sausage and beef meatloaf, yes meatloaf, gourmet style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Dinner SpotCHBNADined on 8/1/2014They sat us near the bathroom and cash register, which, while not a sin, was not ideal. The food came out WAYYY too fast....like within 5-7 minutes of ordering and didn't give us a chance to enjoy drinks. The Friday salmon special was "okay" but I would opt for something else. My boyfriend had the sausage meatloaf and it was tasty. Overall it's a decent little place, but I won't be rushing to get back.Special Features:
- As always great experience.hammyDined on 8/1/2014If you haven't been to Murphy's - check it out. If you are a wine enthusiast, visit Leslie to chat about what's hot or answer any questions you have. The bar is comfortable and it's perfect for date night, girls night or guys night. Then head to the restaurant for a fantastic meal with outstanding service. We started with the fresh artichokes. First you get the smell of the grill and then heaven. The lemon aioli is fantastic. The wild shrimp scampi with risotto is divine! Another favorite is the Waygu Flat Iron; cooked to perfection. And those mushrooms!!! Sorry - no room for desert. But the neighboring table had carrot cake and it looked amazing. By the look on his face - it was amazing. Highly recommend!!Special Features:
- EatWellVIPDined on 7/30/2014The food was excellent and the unexpectedly cool breeze moving through the inside dining area (from the outdoor terrace) was delightful. Our waitress was energetic, but rushed us, and did not offer dessert or coffee before delivering our check (which we had not yet requested). The volume was extremely loud and made it difficult to talk. The latter things tempered the pleasure of the former ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningCriticDined on 7/26/2014We celebrated a very special occasion with our granddaughter moving into town to attend Emory. The food, wine and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Noisy!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/26/2014We love Murphy's and go there fairly frequently since we can walk there from our house. We love the food and this last visit was no exception. We also find the service to be consistently very good and have a particular waiter - Dustin - that always takes care of us. However, the past several times we have been, there have been large tables that are VERY LOUD. On our last visit, the table was so loud that the party at the table sitting next to us left without ordering. We left without having dessert because we were so tired of not being able to hear each other speak. Most of the times we have experienced this were in the front room and I think there may be an acoustical issue. I think Murphy's management should be more on top of loud guests.Special Features:
- big party- so accommodatinggr84groupsDined on 7/26/2014Came in with a party of 8 and our waiter and the staff were great! Excellent menu something for everyone… also great wine and cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Value for moneyAnthonyVIPDined on 7/25/2014As always excellent food. Very tasty choices and great value for your money. We are 'foodies' so distinguish quite a bit the "good from the mediocre" . And Murphy's ranks in the good category. Service is very friendly sometimes even a tad familiar but certain items can be slow: drink service is one of those. Still we like to come here regularly and are extra pleased that Murphy's is opening a restaurant in Vinings very soon called I believe: "Paces by Vinings". Terrific news.Special Features:
- EfficiencyWayneVIPDined on 7/21/2014We got seated for lunch at the same time as a party of 76. Our food and service weren't affected a bit, although I bet there were some wild goings on in the kitchen. Our server and another we had previously still found the time to be friendly. That says it all about Murphy's.Special Features: