Muriel's Jackson Square
801 Chartres Street
New Orleans, LA 70116Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
Muriel's Jackson Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.muriels.com/
- Phone: (504) 568-1885
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner served daily: Monday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm and Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Sunday Jazz Brunch 11:00am -2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Gus Martin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Muriel's Jackson Square
The Bistro at Muriel’s Jackson Square offers New Orleans classics like Gumbo, BBQ Shrimp, Oysters "Muriel", Turtle soup, Fried Gulf Shrimp Po-boy, Crabmeat Imperial, Shrimp Remoulade & contemporary Creole cuisine like Pecan Crusted Drum & Wood Grilled Tuna while the Courtyard Bar is the perfect place to drop by for drinks & appetizers. The Séance Lounge is the place for a relaxed, comfortable meeting before or after dining. Comprised of two areas, The Outer & The Inner Séance, the Séance also tells the story of a mystic & checkered past. The Outer Séance addresses the New Orleans era of Storyville & when Muriel's Jackson Square was one of the French Quarter's best bordellos! The Inner Séance is the preferred domain of the resident ghost, Pierre Antoine Lepardi Jourdan, & is the perfect spot for an intimate conversation & a drink amongst its plush surroundings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerCreole / Cajun / Southern
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Muriel's Jackson Square - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
Muriel's Jackson Square reviews from OpenTable diners
365 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (220)fit for foodies (202)romantic (162)neighborhood gem (143)good for groups (120)notable wine list (88)scenic view (73)great for brunch (68)hot spot (60)great for lunch (49)vibrant bar scene (18)great for outdoor dining (11)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- Good example of regional cookingNASAR8VIPDined on 11/20/2014Very good regional cooking with very good service in a historical setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice slice of classic New OrleansOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014Muriel's was highly rated, and in a beautiful part of the French Quarter. I was concerned that it would be too touristy, but took a chance based upon the reviews. I was in town with visitors from abroad who wanted something good, but also with a NOLA flair in the old town. Was not disappointed. Food was excellent, service just fine, and the ambience of the place was perfect. My six guests all raved about the place and their meal. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and one dimentionalPipeliner9Dined on 11/16/2014We arrived early and were seated promptly, the room was only 1/3 full but filled quickly. As the room filled if became very hard to hold a conversation without raising our voices. The table next to us expressed the same opinion. Our service staff were very nice and efficient but we felt rushed through the entire meal. We had wanted to have a nice conversation and meal after seeing a play and this was definitely not the place to do it. Our appetizers were fair; my Wife and Daughter ordered the Tournedos which were cooked correctly but lacked any flavor without the sauce. My Son ordered the Blackened Redfish which looked a tortured piece of meat when placed before him. He advised that the fish was dry and overcooked and the seasoning was more of a one note flavor. I ordered the pork chop with greens and sweet potatoes; I can say that the potatoes were wonderful but the greens were flavorless and the pork chop was dry and had no seasoning. Overall, my Wife and I were both disappointed because we'd both eaten her in the past and enjoyed it. We are taking our children on a gastronomic adventure to awaken their palates and show them that there is so much more out there to enjoy besides Olive Garden and Outback. Unfortunately, this excursion did not help our cause.
- Great in every respect.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2014Superb service and food. Corner of fabulous Jackson Square. Four of us had a great Sunday Jazz brunch. Every morsel was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FRENCH QUARTER DELICIOUSSusanDined on 11/11/2014We dined at Muriel's while on vacation in NO. We were seated immediatly and waited on within a few minutes. The service was efficient and present. We started with drinks and moved on to appetizers followed by entrees and ended with desert to go. I highly recommend the crab Imperial starter. We both at the filet mignon for entrees. They were tender enough to cut with a fork. The candied sweet potatoes as excellent. The pecan pie is not too sweet. Also, the prices are quite reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good experiencepotomac9Dined on 11/10/2014There are a lot of restaurants to choose from in New Orleans. We were there for two days and tried several. This one is no doubt the best. Food was perfectly done and service is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for first timers to N OCalliesDaddyDined on 11/10/2014I attended a convention with co-workers who had never been to New Orleans. I selected Muriel's because of my prior exceptional experiences there and its location in the French Quarter. I also recommended it to two friends from New York who said the tuna and salmon were the best they had ever had. High praise from New Yorkers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous MealeatnightlyVIPDined on 11/10/2014On a second trip to New Orleans my husband and I went back to Muriel's Jackson Square. We arrived a bit before our reservation time and were asked to wait, but not for long. I had requested a quiet table with a view if possible and we got a table in the corner by the window - perfect. We shared the house salad which was fresh with a nice dressing. We both ordered the tuna which was cooked to perfection. The portion was on the large side so we were too full for dessert. Overall a great evening.Special Features:
- To sum it up, WOW.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014This was a recommendation from a friend that goes to New Orleans every year. From the beginning, the service was outstanding! We were early for our reservation so we had a cocktail in the bar. Superb! I ordered the BBQ shrimp with chipotle and parmesan grits, with the salad that had crispy prosciutto, a lovely vinaigrette and mandarins. The food was exceptional and served very quickly!!! Our waiter was excellent as well. Very attentive and on top of every aspect. You MUST have dinner here when you are in town. By far the best food in New Orleans!!!Special Features:
- It was ok...JBNashvilleDined on 11/9/2014The food was not very memorable. They have a Jazz brunch on Sunday and they were performing right behind me so it made it hard for our table to have conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingVerypleasedDined on 11/9/2014Excellent food and service, while listening to a very nice trio band. The perfect Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014We celebrated our 29th anniversary here this past weekend and as usual it was a fantastic experience. I had used Open Table to book our reservation and put in the notes that it was our anniversary. We were greeted by the hostess with a Happy Anniversary and shown to our table. We have been here before and knew what to expect of the dining room. We were seated near the windows overlooking Jackson Square. The server brought us champagne on the house to celebrate. The food was so delicious as we have to come to expect from Muriel's. I will definitely go back again and again!Special Features:
- Outstanding foodoccasionaldinerDined on 11/8/2014Despite being located on the popular tourist stop, Jackson Square, Muriel's has a wonderful atmosphere and outstanding food enough to please the most discerning. We ate well during our whole 4-day trip, but Muriel's was the best food experience. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/8/2014I had a culinary tour as a first time visitor to New Orleans and the tour guide had pointed out Muriel's as a beautiful restaurant with an excellent menu. The location right on Jackson Square worked out well and the evening was very enjoyable with delicious food and attentive service. We had bread pudding at other restaurants in NOLA but none was as delicious as the version at Muriel's!Special Features:
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014We enjoyed our food and the service was great. The goat cheese and shrimp crepes were awesome! Three course fixedw menu had lots of options and was yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Travel bugTravelbugDined on 11/7/2014Good food, excellent service for such a busy evening. Looking forward to New Year's Eve dinner. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Muriel's local New Orleans GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014I have been to New Orleans at least a dozen times and this was one of the best meals that I have had. The goat cheese shrimp was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in Jackson squareTaigadiningDined on 11/6/2014This was our best meal in New Orleans. Location is perfect, great ambiance and amazing service. The table d'hote was outstanding.Special Features:
- Just Great!Bettyannboop63Dined on 11/5/2014Had dinner the other night here & it was truly great! Had the seafood gumbo, bayoubaisse & the creme brulee all of which was delicious! Our guests had the barbequed shrimp, & the pecan puupy drum which was equally great! This restaurant never fails!Special Features:
- More great foodFuzzyBeaverVIPDined on 11/4/2014Starters were gumbo, shrimp, soup. Mains were blackened red fish, wood roasted chicken, seafood bouillabaisse. All were fabulous especially the fish. Yet another great meal. Service was friendly and quite good. The wait staff were a bit weak on their wine list and appropriate recommendations. The restaurant was packed and quite noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealRickEVIPDined on 11/3/2014We enjoyed an excellent dinner at Muriel’s. My wife especially liked the crab stuffed redfish, but everything was great, including the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Brunch!StasiaDined on 11/2/2014We chose Muriel’s for brunch based on other online reviews, and it did not disappoint! Food and service were both outstanding. I had the three course special. Turtle soup was very hearty and think- great for the cold weather outside during weekend. I've never had turtle soup before, and I would order it again. My steak benedict was by far the best I've ever had! Truly great combination of homemade corn bread, the sauce, and smoky steak! One of the eggs on my benedict was slightly overcooked, but I enjoyed it anyways. Bread pudding was very moist and firm at the same time. We also had brandy milk punch, which is a dessert on its own. Great treat to wrap up the meal! I would definitely return for brunch and perhaps dinner as well!Special Features:
- BarbaraCruellaDined on 11/2/2014Muriels is one of my favourite places in New Orleans. Right by Jackson Square so it's easy to find. I love sitting on the balcony enjoying a drink and watching the people. Rick and Denise are the most wonderful, what I want to call typical down south hospitable people who always have time to chat with their guests. The food is great. I've never had a bad meal. I love their spinach salad and turtle soup. I had my very first brandy milk punch this time and it was wonderful. The prices are very reasonable. I've been to Muriels for just a drink, Sunday brunch, lunch and dinner and it's a place I will come back to time and again.Special Features:
- Delicious Group Mealilovefood1228Dined on 11/1/2014Had a bachelorette dinner here before heading to Bourbon street...we were all dressed up with bright wigs and tutus! While this was a nicer restaurant we still received great service despite our funny appearance. Food was delicious...highly recommend the 3 course meal, great value and the crepes were to die for.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014The food and drinks here is phenomenal. The best part is they will cater to my gluten free needs. Hands down, one of the best restaurants in my large repertoire!Special Features:
- Foodlover0612Dined on 11/1/2014My boyfriend and I wanted to eat somewhere fancy in NOLA for our anniversary and were recommended this restaurant by friends. The restaurant was stunning, and the service was incredible. The food was phenomenal! I highly recommend the pecan crusted salmon and goat cheese and shrimp crepes. I loved the lounge and balcony upstairs with a view of the French Quarter. Muriel's was the perfect romantic outing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LailaVIPDined on 11/1/2014Turtle soup was disappointing. Crepes are always delicious. Salad had clearly been premade and was drowning in dressing.
- Epic Awesome ExquisiteRockshowDined on 11/1/2014An awe inspiring location and ambiance, fine-dining service experience, delicious nouveau and classic creole foods...in Jackson Square, next to the Cathedral, with music and street performers and artists a plenty. Extraordinary place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for a Halloween dinnerWhaleboyDined on 10/31/2014Fantastic food, fantastic staff, and wonderful period decor! The wife and I enjoyed dinner here for Halloween while watching out the window. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halloween/Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/31/2014My wife and I went to Muriel's on a whim on Halloween night for her birthday dinner. We had been eating heavy foods in the city, so opted to split an appetizer, salad, and two desserts (hey, it was her birthday). The Eggplant Roulade and Spinach & Granny Smith Apple Salad were great, but the Muriel's "Snickers" Terrine (my wife loves chocolate and peanut butter) and Flourless Chocolate Cake were truly delicious. My only complaint was that my gin fizz was not mixed for long enough.Special Features:
- Very atmospheric for New OrleansOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/31/2014We loved our table tucked away in the Red Room. The food was roll your eyes back delicious and we always go back whenever in New Orleans for that special dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place to go in NOLaChowDnWestchesterVIPDined on 10/31/2014In a town where food is king, Muriel's is REX! Drum fish is to die for. Wine selection is second to none.Special Features:
- Fantastic Restaurant!JeffFoodieDined on 10/30/2014Amazing menu - beautiful, historic restaurant - fantastic waitstaff. Definitely a must when in New Orleans......Special Features:
- NanceDined on 10/27/2014We had a wonderful time here. The bar had fresh mixed drinks with a great back in time vibe. The bartender told us about the upstairs area to visit after dinner that was mysterious and supposedly had spirits. The dinner was superb. There were four of us at dinner and we shared the crab crepes which were tender, delicious and had a tasty sauce. Two of us had the drum , which was a delicate fish that was served with a light wine butter sauce. The other two had the pork chop and salmon which were cooked perfectly . The wine that our waiter recommended was the house wine and paired so well with our dishes . We ended having 2 bottles in addition to our cocktails . We were all full , but did not want to leave without trying their bread pudding. We ordered 2 orders to share and they were scrumptious and served with a bourbon sauce. The service was right on track and our waiter gave us great recommendations which made the evening for my husband's birthday perfect. After we finished our dinner we went up to the second level where they had Gregorian chant music playing which gave out an awesome eerie vibe, especially since the bartender told us it is known to have spirits. There were two rooms which had sofas and dark drapery . We were the only people up there so that was cool. We sat at one of the sofas and sipped on our cocktails and enjoyed the music playing . We noticed that there were two mummy coffins, so we took turns going inside and taking pictures. They also had a large balcony that overlooked Jackson square and you could sit outside and have your cocktails, while people watching everyone out there . We finished our great evening by going back downstairs for a nightcap. This is a romantic restaurant that not only has a diverse creole menu, but the ambiance alone is worth you going to take you back in time for a true unique New Orleans experience. I have already recommended this restaurant to 3 friends who will be visiting in 2014.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphereGMAJODined on 10/27/2014My husband and I were a wee bit disappointed in Muriel's. The ambiance was nice, but the food was a little under par. My husband's double-cut pork chop was slightly tough and I would have preferred my shrimp with the heads removed!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Excellent food experience! Escargot were wonderful and presented in a beautiful way, as was the main entree, redfish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food + great service!RamaDined on 10/26/2014Muriel's really is all around a great experience. The food was amazing. The service, impeccable. A must when visiting NOLA. We were a little concerned about the dress code but jeans didn't seem to be a problem. Other folks were also dressed down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz brunch!Luv2goDined on 10/26/2014Greated with champagne to celebrate our wedding anniversary! Total surprise! Food was delicious and the jazz was very New Orleans. A very nice brunch choice on such a beautiful morning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!rgmcmanusDined on 10/26/2014We had reservations for 4 at the Jazz Brunch on Sunday and we were not disappointed at all. The food was absolutely mouth watering! We started with Milk Punches and I must say they were the best I have had. Three of us had the eggs benedict and the one of us had the seafood gumbo and the crepe appetizers. We were ewwing and awwing! Then, to top it off we had their famous bread pudding and it was over the top for us! The service was excellant, there was even a Jazz Band that played! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- New FavoriteAllie79Dined on 10/25/2014All four of us thoroughly enjoyed our bread, entrées, wine and dessert...still talking about it! Went back again for the bread pudding. Can't wait to eat there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.