Muriel's Jackson Square
801 Chartres Street
New Orleans, LA 70116Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
Muriel's Jackson Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.muriels.com/
- Phone: 5045681885
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner served daily: Monday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm and Sunday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30am - 2:30pm
Sunday Jazz Brunch 11:00am -2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Gus Martin
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Muriel's Jackson Square
The Bistro at Muriel’s Jackson Square offers New Orleans classics like Gumbo, BBQ Shrimp, Oysters "Muriel", Turtle soup, Fried Gulf Shrimp Po-boy, Crabmeat Imperial, Shrimp Remoulade & contemporary Creole cuisine like Pecan Crusted Drum & Wood Grilled Tuna while the Courtyard Bar is the perfect place to drop by for drinks & appetizers. The Séance Lounge is the place for a relaxed, comfortable meeting before or after dining. Comprised of two areas, The Outer & The Inner Séance, the Séance also tells the story of a mystic & checkered past. The Outer Séance addresses the New Orleans era of Storyville & when Muriel's Jackson Square was one of the French Quarter's best bordellos! The Inner Séance is the preferred domain of the resident ghost, Pierre Antoine Lepardi Jourdan, & is the perfect spot for an intimate conversation & a drink amongst its plush surroundings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerCreole / Cajun / Southern
Muriel's Jackson Square - Best Restaurants in French Quarter ›
Muriel's Jackson Square reviews from OpenTable diners
307 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (193)fit for foodies (153)romantic (151)neighborhood gem (117)good for groups (99)scenic view (81)notable wine list (67)great for brunch (64)great for lunch (51)hot spot (47)vibrant bar scene (16)great for outdoor dining (11)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- Best meal I had in New Orleans!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014Loved this restaurant, beautiful, great food and great service. Had the drum fish on Sunday night and it was possibly the best fish I've ever had - went back the next night and ordered the same thing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Pleasure to Eat HereJayRayDined on 10/19/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants to take out of town guests to - the location and food can't be beat. Service started out very slowly but then returned to its normal excellence. We always recommend the turtle soup and goat cheese crepes to first timers. Their set menu of three courses also is a big hit and all four of us did get this menu. There is enough variety on the set menu for everyone to get a good variety. They also have an excellent cocktail menu and tried the Vampire's Kiss - very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jazz BrunchJAKEDined on 10/19/2014Delicious food, great service, and wonderful music! Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Jazz BrunchEricDined on 10/19/2014Made a reservation and was taken right on time. Very comfortable setting for brunch. Very attentive service. Jazz band rotated from room to room. Food was delicious.Special Features:
- TmcnpDined on 10/18/2014Southern charm and very good food. Service outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014WOW! It was my husband's 30th birthday and we were so impressed! Not only was the food incredible, but the service was outstanding! They even brought out a little cake with a candle on top! Best food in New Orleans! I would highly recommend this restaurant - but make a reservation early as it is a very popular spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place!MMtravelerDined on 10/17/2014This was my second time at Muriel's. The service was okay, not great. We ordered the drum fish and the porkchop. My mom raved about the fish, my pork was undercooked and very fatty. I requested the pork be done medium well and the waitress forgot. It had a great taste, but needed more time cooking and a better cut. Too bad, the first time was much better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good foodspeaktruthDined on 10/17/2014Most New Orleans restaurants have good food, but the food here is especially good.Special Features:
- Great Taste of NOLADocADined on 10/17/2014We had a reservation for a family birthday and were immediately seated when we arrived. The service was outstanding. All of our seafood was fresh and the beef was cooked perfectly. I grew up in south Louisiana and would say that the seafood gumbo is one of the best in the city and authentic to the Cajun Culture. Everything we ordered was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/17/2014We had a great meal in a prime location on Jackson Square. Ambiance was great! Service and friendliness of staff was great! One of the best meals we had during our trip to New Orleans! Highly recommend going to Muriels! We tried authentic creole cuisine that was worth trying and eating! Dessert was amazing too! Best flourless chocolate cake I've had in years!!Special Features:
- It was....okayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2014We went for dinner on Friday, Oct. 17. The restaurant was beautiful and the staff was great.I ordered the eggplant appetizer and really enjoyed it. We all ordered the salmon and found it to be extremely salty. I really couldn't taste anything BUT salt. The bread pudding was the best of the trip. I would go back but I wouldn't order the salmon again.
- Good Place to Try the Local CousinDMR77VIPDined on 10/17/2014Located in the heart of the French Quarter, Muriel's Jackson Square provides great Creole and Cajun food. The Gumbo and Bayoubaisse are a must. Service is prompt and attentive and prices are reasonable, especially the Prix Fixe menu. Recommended.Special Features:
- Muriel's Jackson SquareJazzmanDined on 10/16/2014The food was well prepared and very tasty but the wait staff were unenthusiastic and did not smile or seem helpful.Special Features:
- Wonderful service!CarolynVIPDined on 10/16/2014We loved the whole experience and the service was the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In NOLA you could do betterFoodie4lifeDined on 10/14/2014The food was very good, not great, not memorable. Beyond that, for all the great restaurants you can go to we were a bit disappointed given the star rating at Open Table Usually OT ratings are pretty close but this time it fell short
- Always a hitGrayNetDined on 10/14/2014This is one of our go-to's when visiting New Orleans...the prix fixe menu is an excellent value (and taste!) but we've yet to have something that doesn't taste divine! This trip I enjoyed the duck breast, paired with a spinach-apple-bleu cheese salad and some turtle soup...don't miss out!Special Features:
- Great Food with Excellent Wine ListDan77Dined on 10/13/2014As the title states, great food with Cajun flair. It is not at all spicy so those who are bothered by that need not worry. Many good selections on the menu, and they have a very good wine list with some very competitive prices for a restaurant. I especially liked the 2012 Caymus Cabernet 40th Anniversary. In the heart of the French Quarter on Jackson Square. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DutchmanDined on 10/12/2014Great place, nicely designed with fantastic food and drink. Service was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every way.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Wow. This place met all of my expectations for a business dinner. Service from the time you walk in the door, to the pre-dinner cocktails, to apps to dinner was flawless. The Pre-Fix menu has enough regional choices to please any taste. The turtle soup is a definite must have.Special Features:
- Great Location on Jackson SquareOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014In the heart of the action. Great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restauranttamara063VIPDined on 10/12/2014Loved the atmosphere, service and the delicious food! We even saw a parade go by while we were having brunch which was a bonus! Thank you for a fantastic meal!Special Features:
- Great food, great service!memphisfoodieDined on 10/11/2014We celebrated my birthday at Muriel's while in town for a conference, and it was our first time dining there. It was wonderful! The food was classic upscale New Orleans, and the ambiance as well. Liz, our server, was fantastic. I would highly recommend this restaurant to people both new to and familiar with New Orleans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Husband's BirthdaylafoodieDined on 10/11/2014I made the reservation to celebrate my husband's birthday. This was our first time to Muriel's & we were not disappointed . My husband had the barbecue shrimp & I had the pecan crusted drum fish. Both dishes were so delicious. The service was excellent. I would recommend this restaurant & we can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our "go-to" place.FrechquartertransplantsDined on 10/11/2014We live close to Muriel's and it has become our favorite place to find a good meal. We've never been disappointed with anything on the menu, which has a nice diversity of choices for whatever you might be craving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aside from the great location...KatFVIPDined on 10/10/2014Location is everything in NOLA and Muriel's does not disappoint. However, it was extremely loud, crowded, and the food was just ok. The prix fixed menu was a decent value with all the NOLA favs represented; but, dishes tended to be on the oily side and overdressed/overseasoned. The vanilla creme brûlée tasted good, but could have had a little more flair.
- Great AmbianceFoodGirlDined on 10/8/2014We really enjoyed our evening here. Very romantic and great food. Highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Great experienceNOLADined on 10/5/2014First time to Muriel's and will def be back. Food, Service and staff are great. We had a big group and they did well accommodating everyone.Special Features:
- Muriel's for BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/5/2014We heard this was a great place for brunch and it did not disappoint. We loved the atmosphere, the food and the jazz trio. We would certainly go back if we return to New Orleans.Special Features:
- Fantastic!KayPea357Dined on 10/4/2014Beautiful surroundings, impeccable service, great view to Jackson Square and most importantly, delicious food. It was nice to find a wine list with reasonably priced wines. Try the BBQ shrimp, it was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this NOLA original!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/4/2014Had lunch here and loved the stuffed mirliton. They served the whole mirliton cut in half and each side stuffed with shrimp dressing. Quite delicious and a generous serving. Turtle soup was excellent. Our waiter was very good. A young woman assistant was very sweet but could have used more training and made a few mistakes. Small problem in a very lovely restaurant.
- goodTazdogVIPDined on 10/4/2014it was good food . great view looking at the city while eating.Special Features:
- A New Orleans ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014One of the restaurants that makes New Orleans the food capital that it is. After 3 days of restaurants like Muriel's and others that have formed and held the New Orleans tradition, it will be a letdown to eat in Jackson.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experience...Hilltopper81Dined on 10/2/2014This was our first time there and the food, service and ambiance was awesome.. The bread pudding is a must....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected betterTheTravelerDined on 10/1/2014Turtle soup was outstanding, some of the best I've had in a while, but everything else was either not what it should have been or not prepared correctly. Wife had Drum fish with crab and I had Bouillabaisse. Fish coating was too thick and over seasoned for such a mild fish and it was sauteed too long on one side burning it. The crab with the fish was in a side dish and was mostly sauteed pecans with a hint of crab. My dish had nothing to do with Bouillabaisse and was a sort of seafood stew with an unbelievable amount of green and red pepper slices in it. There were two shrimp, a small piece of fish and a modest helping of lump crab meat placed on top of a stewed tomatoes and green and red pepper, it was horrible. Go only for the soup.
- Enjoyable exceptcarolDined on 9/30/2014Gorgonzola cheese tart appetizer was divine but too large for an appetizer. Stunning presentation and wish I could have taken it back to hotel but no refrig. Chicken dish on Table de Hote menu was excellent...fork tender and flavorful. Double pork chop was good.Special Features:
- Will Not Disappoint!!TJMCCDined on 9/30/2014We were visiting New Orleans on business and I picked this restaurant based on online recommendations. The food and service were outstanding. Large portions and friendly smiles galore. Great New Orleans specialty dishes!! Shrimp crepes and Gorgonzola Cheese Cake (appetizers) were decadent!! Try spreading the cheesecake on your bread!! Baby Drum fish entrée was excellent and I was told the Pork Chop entrée was the "Best Ever". We will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- Creative Tastes ...smlywunDined on 9/30/2014The food was ok ... I booked Muriel's for my wife's birthday dinner while spending a night in the quarter ... I prefer more traditional tastes and didn't care much for some of the creative spices, etc. that were used in the food. I ordered the Baby Drum and found the outer bread crusts somewhat "burnt" in taste and the lemon sauce was overpowering. The menu was limited. I would have preferred a traditional tasty steak dish. The other places we had hoped to dine at were booked up for the night. We were looking for something a little more romantic with the possibilities of outdoor seating so that we could enjoy the weather, etc....with Muriel's we had hoped for possible balcony seating but was told that his wasn't available.Special Features:
- Delicious foodYummy55Dined on 9/28/2014Muriel's is a great find at Jackson Square. Not touristy at all. They have a price fix menu. Three courses for $40.00. The food was great, fresh, and well seasoned hey they don't need to add heat to make up for the lack of taste. We had a great time and will go back.Special Features:
- Old style New OrleansWiliWaliDined on 9/28/2014Traditional style New Orleans restaurant complete with all the trimmings. Classic creole inspired menu with old time favorites as well as some new twists on old standbys. Can't go wrong for brunch. Had the shrimp on grits which was different than I have previously had - was more like a Pascal Manales style "barbequed" shrimp with heads on the grits - very nice.Special Features:
- Not a good choiceMACADined on 9/27/2014The service was very slow, not at all attentive, and the food was just mediocre. Certainly not the food caliber one expects in New Orleans.