San Carlos Street
Carmel, CA 93921Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mundakacarmel.com/
- Phone: 8316247400x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Su-W 5:30pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Th-Sa 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Californian, Basque
- Executive Chef: Brandon Miller
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We offer private and semi-private dining in various rooms depending on the size of the group
- Private Party Contact: Gabe Georis 8316247400x
- Entertainment: Mundaka Provides a variety of live music and DJ entertainment. Sunday-Wednesday nights we have dinner hour music from 7pm-9pm. Thursday-Saturday is late night DJ from 9:30pm-Midnight
Specifics are available on our website calendar: www.mundakacarmel.com
A word from Mundaka
Mundaka is a Spanish style tapas restaurant in downtown Carmel, CA. It is the result of great friendships, a love of food and wine and music, and a long term romance with Spain and its culture. Open in March 2009, Mundaka continues to evolve daily with the creations of our chef Brandon Miller, and the musical musings of all our talented contributors. Mundaka aspires to be the hub for all that is tasty, fun, artistic, creative, and cultural in Carmel-by-the-sea. We look forward to seeing you soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Mundaka - Best Restaurants in Carmel ›
Mundaka reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (39)neighborhood gem (25)romantic (21)good for groups (18)late-night find (16)hot spot (16)special occasion (13)vibrant bar scene (11)kid-friendly (8)notable wine list (7)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great MenuHalseyVIPDined on 10/25/2014Always great food: fidegua; dates; olives, brussels sprouts--all wonderful. Noise level a bit high, but did not completely interfere with a good experience. To finish--Lemon flan--YUM.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!CBIIIDined on 10/17/2014We have been here multiple times for drinks, but tonight we decided to order multiple small plates. The food was wonderful and the staff was very attentive. In addition, the price was very reasonable (for Carmel).Special Features:
- OveratedWoohoo21VIPDined on 10/15/2014Fabulous location But food was somewhat below average Our waiter was obnoxiousSpecial Features:
- More choicesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/6/2014All the dishes we tasted were good but the menu was somewhat limited. I would have preferred a wider selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively Atmosphere/Good FoodCrazymonkDined on 10/3/2014Upbeat restaurant with friendly and knowledgeable staff. The food was great and the atmosphere was lively and entertaining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- heard many good things: all true!KritiKareVIPDined on 9/29/2014After everyone we know said "Make sure you eat at Mundaka!" when visiting Carmel, we finally did! They were right. Great food with amazing flavors and textures - relaxed and fun service all accompanied by a calm stark atmosphere made for a wonderful evening with friends! we will be back!Special Features:
- Great tapas, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/24/2014A memorable meal--wonderful variety of small plates. The Bomba was particularly good. Waiter was helpful, personable, and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatTapashuntersDined on 9/12/2014Lamb was chewy; monkfish also chewy but both tasty. Dates were delicious, shredded summer squash was good. Expensive for tapas. Not like tapas we had in San Sebastian, Spain. More like small plates.Special Features:
- FunCatCh2VIPDined on 8/30/2014We had a great time people watching while we ate a variety of interesting tapas.Special Features:
- blandmikeDined on 8/29/2014I was just in barcelona and was craving some tapas. This was not what I was expecting. Bland and overpriced. Paid almost $100 for paella and tapas. Typical Carmel food for old people with no taste. The atmosphere and staff were the only thing that kept me fromvwalking out.
- VinniePondAlgaeDined on 8/26/2014Service staff often confused, dishes ordered and forgotten, table forgotten. We were given a strange small 1-cup teapot ($5.50 for a "pot" of mint leaf tea) and server was not even sure how it should be poured. Some dishes were goof and others were mediocre, which should not be the case at that price point. We advise skipping dessert, not worth it.Special Features:
- Tapas in CarmelJuror17Dined on 8/20/2014We honestly weren't expecting much from this restaurant after the host/manager earnestly explained to us what tapas are, (Duh) and were very pleasantly surprised. First, they have a list of G&T cocktails, very big in Spain, which include one with mulled blackberries: delicious. The fried garbanzos with truffle salt are an addictive starter. We shared six tapas plates between the two of us, plus a dense orange pound cake, and were satisfied with everything. Best find: the 15 year old Spanish Brandy, aged in Sherry casks and dark as coffee, was a revelation and we will be ordering some ASAP.Special Features:
- Great Food ExperienceTapasDined on 8/15/2014First time there, and I was delightfully surprised. Our waiter was Spanish, having only live in the U.S. three years, he told us about the foods, how they were prepared, etc. His suggestions were terrific. Each bite was wonderful. With a little alcohol, the $340 for two was a little more than I expected, but the food ... Wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014Honestly didn't stay long enough to warrant a proper review because the service was so bad. All our food came within 5 mins of being seated and we never got our wine we asked for 3 times. Our menu caught on fire and our server said"oh that sucks" and walked away. Never headed back there
- KenDDined on 8/9/2014Great place for tapas and some interesting wines. But all you yuppies, please leave the kiddies with a baby sitter. Saturday night at 8 pm at Mundaka is not the time or place for screaming toddlers.Special Features:
- Noisy, with small and pricey platessfswimDined on 8/8/2014The restaurant was very noisy. The food was good, but a little bland. Patatas bravas did not require bravery. Plates were quite small and expensive. We really couldn't wait to get out of there.
- Discriminate against older patronsBarrykinsVIPDined on 8/8/2014Although we had reservations, and although the main dining room was half empty, my wife and I were made to eat by ourselves in the small annex next door. It was a really sad, lonely dinner and made the food taste terrible. If you are over 50, you are in for a very disappointing experience.
- Poor Servicewub7VIPDined on 8/5/2014Mundaka is a cute restaurant in Carmel. However, the service was so poor that I would not recommend visiting. Our waiter spent lots of time chatting with each new party, and he spent the most time talking with a larger party, but he basically neglected his tables once a new party arrived. We ordered two simple dishes (almonds and bread) that involve no real prep, but it took over 20 minutes to arrive (even though the larger party, which ordered after we did, received all of their dishes). After we pointed this out to the waiter, he went to get the dishes, but he never apologized or offered anything to make up for this. Also, we waited for nearly 15 minutes for the bill after asking for it. Don't go here!
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Came here for my husbands birthday. We had reservations and somehow got stuck in their extra room next door which is a cafe/bagel shop during the day. It should be called the forgotten room where they forget about you. We were there for almost 2 hours & ordered 5 tapas plates. After we finally got each of our plates we decided to leave and go some aces else. Unfortunate that this happened on my husbands birthday, when I talked this restaurant up so much (due to all the reviews). On our search we found a great place that didn't need reservations and had much better service.
- Awesome. Thank you.MJMC8yummyDined on 8/2/2014Great place. YUMMY food! Felt very special. Well treated by owners, Gabe & Mandy and all staff. Arrived early. Accommodated our time frames well, even toug jumping, hopping busy. Had a time frame with Principal Performer at the www.bachfestival.org Carmel BACH Festival, Edwin Huizinga www.edwinhuizinga.com and his partner Jennifer Toole Photographer. Rachel came and talked with us. Others checked on us. Robert, though busy, kept a timely eye on us. Infinitely Grateful for a fabulous yummy experience. MaryJOsephine Morton Cain ;-) Paella was fabulous. Sangria delicious!!! PS AS far as the Open Table computer reservation, it was confirmed the next day, after we had been there. That could be a concern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, fun, relaxedRobmDined on 7/28/2014The long and short of it is we had a very good meal. The small plates are well presented and very tasty, even if the selection is a little limited. The fried garbanzos and the arugalah sald and the home made chorizo were especially good. The wait staff were helpful, attentive but not intrusive.Special Features:
- Excellent food and servicemjogmfDined on 7/26/2014The food was outstanding an authentic. The service was very personable and quite excellent. We were seated in the extra room where the seating/ambiance was marginal.Special Features:
- Our new favorite spotMarsDined on 7/24/2014We were in Carmel for our honeymoon weekend and went to Mundaka for dinner. The wait staff was extremely friendly and helpful with selecting drink and menu items. Our waiter Robert provided excellent customer service. He guessed we were on our honeymoon without us even mentioning it. He took extra time to discuss the menu and take several pictures of us for us to remember this wonderful night. We had the El Trailero which was unbelievable. I think we had about three each. We recommend this restaurant for the great food, ambiance, and friendly staff.Special Features:
- lovetodineDined on 7/21/2014if you like real tapas don't go here, it was made for the American market, what tapas place has sliders on its menu? the wine we had should of been decanted as there was sediment in the bottom of the bottle, no i would not go backSpecial Features:
- amazing tapas plusazAnaVIPDined on 7/21/2014Plenty of options in Carmel but don't miss Mundaka. Amazing tapas, wine, and service in a relaxed setting...even a guitar player on a Monday evening.Special Features:
- sbocarmelDined on 7/20/2014Best restaurant in Carmel. Great food, service and ambiance. Authentic Spanish Tasty tapas served up by unpretentious helpful staff. Spanish wines and Belgian beer on tap. Fun relaxed atmosphere . Perfect for one, two or a group. Don't pass up a chance to experience this gem and experience a little of the bohemian ambiance that reflects the heart of this little town.Special Features:
- Inventive tapasbb1769Dined on 7/19/2014Quite the menu here - some traditional tapas, but lots of creative tasty items. We wanted to try them all. Prices really weren't too bad for Carmel. The staff were very welcoming as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaitressOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/16/2014The waitress disappeared when we needed her so it took a little while to get the check and our drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!PamEatsDined on 7/12/2014We had an excellent time on a Saturday night. Our server was very knowledgeable and helped us pick our vegetarian dishes. He even brought us a dish on the house when we expressed interest in learning more about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas to die formayaleoDined on 7/11/2014Our search for a unique, satisfying dining experience had come to a fruitful ending! I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who is adventurous when it comes to eating. The selections we ordered met our expectations. Our server was enthusiastic and charming. He guided us through the tapas experience deftly. Don't miss this one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great eveningLainieMDined on 7/11/2014As always, the food at Mundaka was excellent. It's one of my favorite places to eat, especially when I can bring a friend or two along to share all the delicious tapas. There were two of us; we had the cauliflower gratin with a touch of horseradish that really made it sparkle, the piquillos stuffed with housemade bacalao, and some serrano ham with figs. Everything was delicious. The place is casual, boisterous and fun.Special Features:
- SouthernerVIPDined on 6/12/2014This is a cute, fun, friendly place for awesome tapas. The staff is welcoming and the food is spectacular. A nice change of pace for Carmel dining. Kudos to the chef and the staff for a great dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 139 reviews are from the Mundaka reviews archive.
- InterestingRagsVIPDined on 5/29/2014My wife wasn't so sure. The menu doesn't tell you about the courses. But she finally found some she liked. They could do a better job about the menu. If you are a tapas fan from Spain, then you probably know what's on the menu. Else, you don't have a clue. Interesting. I liked it, Not sure if my wife did.Special Features:
- Spanish GemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2014A wide spectrum of super fresh and tasty small plates of very authentic Spanish style food. Very good Spanish wine list. Unbelievable 32 ounce ribeye steak shared by four people. Authentic Spanish cocktails and coffee. Very casual. All in the group are seasoned travelers to Spain and San Sebastian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good traditional tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/23/2014Have been a few times - very authentic dishes (tortilla, boquerones, patatas bravas) and nice ambience. Great drinks (had a jalapeno margarita and a few claras, which is a spanish shandy). Service was not great this time, though it has been before. I would/will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goergoerDined on 5/22/2014Mundaka is Carmel's local hot spot. Great small plates (tapa style). Quality ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced Underwhelming ForgottenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014Tapas that have two bites shouldn't cost $10-14 per plate. Missing that special kick of flavor. Since tapas are normally such small portions they are packed with flavor. Mundaka is just not hitting that mark. We had a group of 4 and ordered 10 different plates. Only one I can remember was the potatoes and ketchup. Oh yeah... And the pitcher of house sangria taste like a box of red wine. Headed to Barcelona in a couple weeks... Hope the tapas bars/restaurants there erase my memory of Mundakas.Special Features:
- Where's the codHungryformoreDined on 5/10/2014Bravas were delicious, and while most of the food was good -- it was not remarkable. And there were major inconsistencies. They really skimped on ingredients -- if you are going to charge $11+ for two roasted Pequillo peppers, you need to stuff them with more than mashed potatoes. (No evidence of salt cod advertised.) Same goes with fritters supposedly containing chorizo and olives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to HealdsbergTapas1Dined on 5/10/2014We wanted a culinary experience. Although unique items, food was rather bland. Waitress was perky and nice but service was very slow. Cocktails overpriced. We probably won't go again although it was a unique experience.Special Features:
- Fun place to eastsea1VIPDined on 4/27/2014Great food and service. Enjoyed learning about Spanish food and wine. A great way to have fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.