1215 19th Street
Sacramento, CA 95811Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mulvaneysbl.com/
- Phone: 9164416022x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
The patio tables are not reflected here at the website, please call the restaurant to check availability
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Patrick Mulvaney
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Mulvaney's B&L
As an American restaurant, we focus on seasonal local products from our friends the farmers. Likewise, our modestly priced wine list emphasizes producers from the West. We are a small restaurant, if there is no availability here please call the restaurant to check.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Mulvaney's B&L - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
Mulvaney's B&L reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)special occasion (85)neighborhood gem (62)great for outdoor dining (56)romantic (44)notable wine list (35)great for lunch (25)hot spot (22)good for groups (12)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Favorite restaurant in townBroncobombDined on 9/12/2014What can I say? I love this place. The menu changes daily and Mulvaney's is at the forefront of Sacramento's "Farm To Fork" mantra. It's a fun, yet sophisticated environment. They encouraging trying anything and everything, so naturally we made a point to order 4 different entree's. None of them disappointed. They place a premium on service. The staff will seemingly jump out of your way when you are going to the bathroom, etc. And they are very friendly and informative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pulled mozzarellaAnniDined on 9/12/2014The caprese salad with pulled mozzarella and heirloom tomatoes is unbelievably good...the cheese practically melts in your mouth. I came here for the pork chop and it never disappoints...tender, flavorful and enough for lunch the next day.Special Features:
- Wonderful service and food!KeithDined on 9/12/2014I took a friend here a few nights ago for her birthday. The food was delicious and the server went way out of his way to make my friend's birthday special. Also, I enjoyed and appreciated the wonderful vegan plate the chef made up for me.Special Features:
- Great for a blind datedermcoach1Dined on 9/11/2014Worried my date may not show, I was relieved to find hoe friendly Dan the bartender and other wait staff were. I had a clean, herbaceous gin concoction customized for me and watched from the bar the chef prepare something with Gooseberries fresh from the bush.y date showed up and treated me to an amazing culinary experience. I really love this place as it reminds me of my home in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special NightsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014Mulvaney's is perfect for special occasions. We celebrated our anniversary there. The newly printed menu wished us a happy anniversary, our server was especially attentive (although they always are), and they wrote Happy Anniversary in chocolate around the plate of our dessert. Caring, attentive, and great food - can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Dinner was to celebrate my wife's birthday. The service and food were outstanding.Special Features:
- AnnsieVIPDined on 9/4/2014We love Mulvaney's. The food is just marvelous--imaginative and beautifully prepared. On a summer's day, enjoy the leafy patio. It's really a Sacramento gem.Special Features:
- Date night problem solvedPonyoDined on 9/2/2014We're not from the area so we always get excited when we find a new go to spot. This place has it all delicious food great service low key ambiance. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go for the burrata salad...frekwentdinerVIPDined on 8/30/2014stay for the dessert. Mulvaney's is clearly the "in" spot. Very crowded but they do a good job managing the crowd. Of course, everything is fresh. I think their best entrees are their non-meat items, such as fish or fowl. Their bread and butter can't be beat, and the decor is really great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerDinnerVIPDined on 8/30/2014A very memorable meal. Everything was outstanding and the service was second to none. Can't wait to go back some day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review & AdviceButtersDined on 8/30/2014My wife & I are foodies and often go into SF to hit the highly reviewed restaurants.Locally, Mulvaney's is our "go-to" restaurant for special occasions. We have tried MB&L enough to say the food & service can hold its own to almost any of the top end places in SF. It is consistent in its preparation, food and service. MB&L is part of Sacramento's list of places that can rival those in SF - thus saving 2 hours in driving and gas. As a side note & this is a touchy subject but for the life of me I can't understand why people bring infants into high end establishments. Other people are there celebrating special occasions & who may rarely get out. A crying child can ruin a evening for people. Get a babysitter or try a suitable family place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best meal of my monthphotophilDined on 8/29/2014It's rare that I visit one of the most highly rated restaurants in Sacramento, so it was with great anticipation that I booked a table for lunch at Mulvaney's B&L. The only thing I would change is that I wish I had more than an hour and a half to relax and enjoy the surroundings. Sure, one could easily be in and out in less time than that, but it was such a pleasure that I could have spent an entire afternoon just sipping coffee on the patio after enjoying a creative meal. I've had food from Mulvaney's before, but this was my first time there on a random day. I've heard it's just always that good. The service was great, from the moment I walked in the front door until I reluctantly left. My food was outstanding and so was my friend's order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50 BirthdayRoseblumDined on 8/28/2014First time, loved the place,food and server. FABULOUSSpecial Features:
- mccullbDined on 8/26/2014Always excellent food. Excellent service. We really enjoyed the halibut, scallops, and toast. Almost painfully loud for the first hour or so that we were there.Special Features:
- Great food & service!DelishDined on 8/23/2014I booked on open table for my husbands 42nd birthday . When we were sat at our table, then promptly greeted by our server. She proceeded to go over the wines & beer list, then handing us our menues... Looked good I thought ... I looked again & they had printed "Happy 42nd Birthday" at the top of our menu. I love attention to detail & Mulvaneys did exactly that. From the fresh motzz to my delightfuly seared scallops or my hubby's juicy double cut pork chops.. I highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Is a Charm!chaslinDined on 8/22/2014This was my first visit to Mulvaney's and I'm a very picky, non-adventurous eater, so I was a little worried. My two friends really seemed to want to go there for lunch, so I decided to give it a go. I'm so glad I did--everything was fantastic and I will definitely return. We dined outside on the patio and, while it was a hot day, the shade made for a pleasant experience. My only issue would be that the menu is different every day and I would love to repeat the lunch meal I had, but I guess I'll just have to be brave and try something different again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Sacramento GemCACD7Dined on 8/21/2014Farm to Fork dining at its finest! Delicious food, attentive and friendly staff and wonderful historic setting. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Audra RobertsaudieappleDined on 8/15/2014Outstanding food. Great seasonal menu. High quality not only in the food, but service. Every detail was performed. From folding your napkin when you got up to use the restroom, to coursing your meal with the right silverware. No stone was left unturned. Exceptional in every way. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere/ FoodMacfoodyDined on 8/15/2014Had a great dinner at Mulvaney`s. This is a Top Notch restaurant. We walked in to see the Mayor having dinner with Owner. We have wanted to come here for a while, but due to popularity and James Beard dinner fame, you need weekend reservations a week in advance. Very nice and casual but professional service. We had a Chef and Culinary Institute Of America of New York grad with us, and this dinner did not disappoint. Patrick came to our table and talked for 10 minutes with our guest. Nice Touch.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food & ServiceSunita54Dined on 8/14/2014I would highly recommend Mulvaney's for it's high quality & seasonal ingredients; courteous & attentive wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014Everything about our meal was excellent. The food was delicious; the waiter was smart, attentive, and made outstanding wine recommendations; and, the atmosphere was wonderful, befitting the occasion (celebrating my wife's birthday). We particularly enjoyed the leisurely pace of the meal, without the feeling of being rushed. Excellent attention to details.Special Features:
- Mulvaney's Friday nightPhillyPhanaticDined on 8/8/2014The wait staff was incredibly friendly and very attentive to our needs. The food was absolutely fantastic -- very fresh and quite tasty. The hostesses were a bit snobby and rude. Nonetheless, I highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableWayneOfRenoVIPDined on 8/5/2014Nice, but pricey. Asked about a particular varietal and server suggested most expensive in the category. Asked about another varietal and again the server recommended the most expense on the list. Food was very good and well presented.Special Features:
- Next to kitchen and loved itBigCheese2014Dined on 8/1/2014Buzzing in kitchen and restaurant. Delicious food with a friendly wait staff. Chef came to the table and the meal was delicious.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/31/2014I met a friend for dinner at Mulvaney's and was somewhat disappointed with our experience. The food was exceptional and I enjoyed the atmosphere of the restaurant but the service was horrendously slow. It took us almost an hour to even order an appetizer. I actually liked our waitress and she apologized many times, but the service remained slow throughout the evening. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy dining and do not like to be rushed, but 3.5 hours for dinner on a Thursday night (for a party of 2) just isn't acceptable. We were offered free dessert which was appreciated, but I expected overall better service from a restaurant like Mulvaney's.Special Features:
- Mulvaney's B&L Top Sac Fine DiningCAMCKDined on 7/26/2014Mulvaney's ranks among the few top tier Sacto restaurants, if not the top. Patrick Mulvaney is a chef of incredible talent. Our favorite at this time of year is his incredible tomato/mozzarella plate - "Rey Yeung's Farm Heirloom Tomatoes & Hand Pulled Mozzarella" with a balsamic reduction, basil & olive oil. Sounds so simple, but we are die-hard tomato fans and Mulvaney's always has the best! The hand-pulled mozzarella is prepared in house and is out of this world. This plate is absolutely the best in Nor Cal if not the entire tomato state. We then shared the Seared Wild King Salmon with Saffron Cous Cous, Soil Born Cucumber & Pesto. (Soil Born is the farm). Excellent! Cooked just right. Great flavors, beautifully presented. You Must Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and overratedGlobaltasterDined on 7/25/2014This is my third time to this restaurant. For the price and portion, had better meals at other restaurants in Downtown, Granite Bay and Land Park.Special Features:
- Best in SacJamesDined on 7/25/2014Still one of the best, if not the best, restaurant in Sacramento.Special Features:
- Love this placesactownfoodieDined on 7/23/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Sacramento. Always good food, excellent service, and innovative. what more could you ask for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMONG THE BEST IN SACRAMENTO1KTravelerVIPDined on 7/18/2014This was my first time dining at Mulvaney's B&L. I asked for three courses, "Chef's Choice" with wine pairings. The first was an heirloom tomato salad with pulled Mozzarella. The cheese was incredibly delicious and buttery, melding nicely with the EVOO and aged Balsamic. It was perfectly paired with a Maldonado Chardonnay. The second course was a special request "toast points" served with a sauterne. It was sublime! The star of the show was a duck breast served over Bloomfield spinach and oven baked potatoes, next to a Sesame Red Pepper Coulis. It was delicious and tender, yet the heat from the Coulis added an Asian spice flair. The pairing with a Pinot from Santa Lucia Highlands was delightful. Peach Cobbler sealed the deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchsacfoodDined on 7/16/2014Loved the sturgeon and the pasta is always delicious. The patio is a great spot to eat when the weather is not to hot, an inviting spot.Special Features:
- Duck and sturgeonWatermelonKingDined on 7/15/2014Three of us each had different duck dishes and a hefty sturgeon fillet. All were superb. The service was impeccable and the wine recommendation had me searching for a couple of bottles the next day.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014We had the best service! She gave us so many details and provided us with options, very very good experience and excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mulvaney'sGloriaDined on 7/9/2014great ambience and the service ws impeccable! I love the farm to table concept. The wine list was great and well priced. Thanks for a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvfreshvegDined on 7/5/2014We were greeted kindly and a high chair brought to us. We were asked if we wanted or fish/steak medim or wel done etc. and we received it in the proper condition. The vegetables were local and absolutely delicious. Our water and bread were constantly refilled, our needs were met and we did not have to ask for anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great farm to fork food!CinaVIPDined on 7/2/2014We enjoyed everything that we ordered. We realize it's a fine dining restaurant; however, we felt the prices were exorbitant for the small portions. Because of that, lunch is a better choice. Since it was my husband's birthday, we went out afterwards for hot fudge sundaes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnsieVIPDined on 7/1/2014We always enjoy this wonderful restaurant. The food is reliably delicious and beautifully presented. We had lunch on their patio, which has a lot of lovely shade and was very comfortable on a hot day. Our waitress was thoughtful and attentive, but also serving a table of about twenty people, so that slowed the service a bit. We noticed that there was a faint garbage smell on the patio near an open door by their trash area, and asked to be moved. Haven't had that problem before and hope we won't again.Special Features:
- A PleasureWatchkingDined on 6/27/2014It was our Anniversary and one of my friends recommended this place. We got there and was seated right away. I had made reservations. They change their menu daily so on the printed menu was Happy Anniversary which my wife noticed right away. It was a very nice touch. The waiter recommended some items and we picked some of them. The food was so fabulous. We had the heirloom tomatoes & Mozzarella which was amazing. My wife had the rib eye which was smoked and had great flavor. I had the duck, oh so good. Service was great and we would recommend this place to anyone.....Special Features:
- Excellent CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/25/2014Always the freshest of ingredients, stellar wait staff and inventive menus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You have to eat here!Jesuit24Dined on 6/24/2014This is by far one of the best restaurants in the Sacramento area. Patrick the owner is very friendly, the food is to die for, and the ambiance is like no other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.