1215 19th Street
Sacramento, CA 95811Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mulvaneysbl.com/
- Phone: 9164416022x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
The patio tables are not reflected here at the website, please call the restaurant to check availability
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Patrick Mulvaney
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Mulvaney's B&L
As an American restaurant, we focus on seasonal local products from our friends the farmers. Likewise, our modestly priced wine list emphasizes producers from the West. We are a small restaurant, if there is no availability here please call the restaurant to check.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Mulvaney's B&L - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
Mulvaney's B&L reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (87)special occasion (81)neighborhood gem (59)great for outdoor dining (53)romantic (41)notable wine list (31)great for lunch (25)hot spot (21)good for groups (15)great for brunch (6)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- foodie4OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014The service was great. The cocktails were fine. My husband and I both had the special abalone for appertizer, and it was perfect. The steak my husband had was good, but the colossal pork chop that I had was dry and tasteless except for the outermost grilled part. Dessert was good. Overall maybe between 3and half and 4 stars.Special Features:
- Always A TreatAllyDined on 10/17/2014Delicious food made from local ingredients, super friendly service, terrific atmosphere (in an old fire house) all wrapped up in one. Try it now!Special Features:
- Always outstanding!SeniorfoodieVIPDined on 10/14/2014My friend and I first requested the patio for a much anticipated birthday lunch. But the day was a little too cool for my friend so i requested to move inside. Since I have troule hearing in a crowded room I asked for the Dish Room. There was a moment's hesitation before our server said she would check on its availability. Next thing I knew she returned and said the Dish Room was ready for us. We had a delicious meal and a fun conversation while sitting and being served in quiet comfort. Our server was cheerful and accommodating, patient and helpful with our indecision,and checked with us regularly. Food was yummy! Outstanding dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014Anytime I am in Sacramento for the evening I end up here first.Special Features:
- Nice Date NightengineergirlDined on 10/11/2014We were looking for a farm to table spot with creative dishes for a nice dinner out. The food was good, but nothing show stopping. The kitchen was able to accommodate my request for a grain, dairy and soy free meal (paleo). My husband ordered the Ribeye which was served with kale, the plate was very blah looking and the kale taste like it had been roasted and then got soggy. He was relatively disappointed in the lack of flair with the dish. I had duck breast with mashed celery root and hericot verts. My food was good, the sear was nice, but the sauce left something to be desired. The price for the meal was average for what we received, but we'll likely not be returning to this restaurant.Special Features:
- AmazingAevnDined on 10/10/2014The food was incredible! The service was remarkable; our drinks were constantly filled in such a way that you didn't notice them filling them! I would highly recommend it and I intend on returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LvgoodfoodDined on 10/4/2014We enjoyed a nice anniversary dinner here. The restaurant was very accommodating and provided us with a nice quiet table. We loved the tomatoes with pulled mozzarella and balsamic reduction. The fettuccine with house made pancetta was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just great!ALF74Dined on 10/2/2014A great birthday dinner! Even said happy birthday on the menus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a meeting.warmbreadsolveseverythingDined on 10/1/2014I loved Mulvaney's B&L because there wasn't loud music blaring and you can hear the other person talk which is a good thing to exchange ideas! Also, the bread was warm and delicious and the soup was creamy and satisfying.Special Features:
- couldn't have been betterMonseMire26Dined on 9/30/2014Clean, comfortable, quiet. Sat on patio for lunch. Gorgeous natural feeling space. Staff-very knowledgeable &helpful. Great recommendations. Attentive w/o being overwhelming or pushy to order. Lunch menu-nice selection. Prices incredibly fair, especially for such quality. Pulled mozzarella appetizer was even better than expected. Heirloom tomatoes-fresh and flavorful. Smoked salmon appetizer-best I've had anywhere. Excellently paired with Russian soda bread/butter, capers, finely chopped egg whites and yolks, red onion. Entrée-we split the duck burger. I loved this burger. Perfectly cooked, cheese and caramelized onions-excellent. No split plate charge. Good beer selection. Great experience, will most certainly return for lunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always, but been betterLilaDined on 9/27/2014I love Mulvaney's and this was our 3rd visit. My fiancé and our friend got the steak. They said it was good, but "not $42 good". I had the Nicoise salad which was good, but again not my favorite dish there. All in all it was a good meal and we will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Read this reviewMrQuigsDined on 9/26/2014Great food and service. However, it was extremely noisy inside the restaurant. Maybe because it was a Friday evening. Next time I will try for a table on the outside patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So wonderfulFoodrusDined on 9/26/2014Amazing mozzarella and heirloom tomatoes to die for. Had Patrick's stew this time. Fall off the fork. You can't get more authentic locally sourced than the B and L. Can't wait to get back bext time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WeezieMacWeezieMacDined on 9/24/2014One of my favorite places in town. Have never been let down. Food and staff are wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible everythingbrosephkaylorDined on 9/23/2014Exceeded expectations on all fronts. Would highly reccomend to anyone visiting Sacramento or going out to dinner for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingCarlinaDined on 9/19/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday. From the bread with salted butter...to the wine...to the appetizer and the meal it was all outstanding! I recommend the lamb the pulled mozzarella appetizer and the lime pie for dessert.Special Features:
- excellent serviceqnvisionDined on 9/18/2014Celebrate my anniversary here tonight. The food was excellent and was only top by the great service. Definitely a place to come again.Special Features:
- Favorite restaurant in townBroncobombDined on 9/12/2014What can I say? I love this place. The menu changes daily and Mulvaney's is at the forefront of Sacramento's "Farm To Fork" mantra. It's a fun, yet sophisticated environment. They encouraging trying anything and everything, so naturally we made a point to order 4 different entree's. None of them disappointed. They place a premium on service. The staff will seemingly jump out of your way when you are going to the bathroom, etc. And they are very friendly and informative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pulled mozzarellaAnniDined on 9/12/2014The caprese salad with pulled mozzarella and heirloom tomatoes is unbelievably good...the cheese practically melts in your mouth. I came here for the pork chop and it never disappoints...tender, flavorful and enough for lunch the next day.Special Features:
- Wonderful service and food!KeithDined on 9/12/2014I took a friend here a few nights ago for her birthday. The food was delicious and the server went way out of his way to make my friend's birthday special. Also, I enjoyed and appreciated the wonderful vegan plate the chef made up for me.Special Features:
- Great for a blind datedermcoach1Dined on 9/11/2014Worried my date may not show, I was relieved to find hoe friendly Dan the bartender and other wait staff were. I had a clean, herbaceous gin concoction customized for me and watched from the bar the chef prepare something with Gooseberries fresh from the bush.y date showed up and treated me to an amazing culinary experience. I really love this place as it reminds me of my home in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special NightsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014Mulvaney's is perfect for special occasions. We celebrated our anniversary there. The newly printed menu wished us a happy anniversary, our server was especially attentive (although they always are), and they wrote Happy Anniversary in chocolate around the plate of our dessert. Caring, attentive, and great food - can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Dinner was to celebrate my wife's birthday. The service and food were outstanding.Special Features:
- AnnsieVIPDined on 9/4/2014We love Mulvaney's. The food is just marvelous--imaginative and beautifully prepared. On a summer's day, enjoy the leafy patio. It's really a Sacramento gem.Special Features:
- Date night problem solvedPonyoDined on 9/2/2014We're not from the area so we always get excited when we find a new go to spot. This place has it all delicious food great service low key ambiance. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go for the burrata salad...frekwentdinerVIPDined on 8/30/2014stay for the dessert. Mulvaney's is clearly the "in" spot. Very crowded but they do a good job managing the crowd. Of course, everything is fresh. I think their best entrees are their non-meat items, such as fish or fowl. Their bread and butter can't be beat, and the decor is really great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerDinnerVIPDined on 8/30/2014A very memorable meal. Everything was outstanding and the service was second to none. Can't wait to go back some day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review & AdviceButtersDined on 8/30/2014My wife & I are foodies and often go into SF to hit the highly reviewed restaurants.Locally, Mulvaney's is our "go-to" restaurant for special occasions. We have tried MB&L enough to say the food & service can hold its own to almost any of the top end places in SF. It is consistent in its preparation, food and service. MB&L is part of Sacramento's list of places that can rival those in SF - thus saving 2 hours in driving and gas. As a side note & this is a touchy subject but for the life of me I can't understand why people bring infants into high end establishments. Other people are there celebrating special occasions & who may rarely get out. A crying child can ruin a evening for people. Get a babysitter or try a suitable family place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best meal of my monthphotophilDined on 8/29/2014It's rare that I visit one of the most highly rated restaurants in Sacramento, so it was with great anticipation that I booked a table for lunch at Mulvaney's B&L. The only thing I would change is that I wish I had more than an hour and a half to relax and enjoy the surroundings. Sure, one could easily be in and out in less time than that, but it was such a pleasure that I could have spent an entire afternoon just sipping coffee on the patio after enjoying a creative meal. I've had food from Mulvaney's before, but this was my first time there on a random day. I've heard it's just always that good. The service was great, from the moment I walked in the front door until I reluctantly left. My food was outstanding and so was my friend's order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50 BirthdayRoseblumDined on 8/28/2014First time, loved the place,food and server. FABULOUSSpecial Features:
- mccullbDined on 8/26/2014Always excellent food. Excellent service. We really enjoyed the halibut, scallops, and toast. Almost painfully loud for the first hour or so that we were there.Special Features:
- Great food & service!DelishDined on 8/23/2014I booked on open table for my husbands 42nd birthday . When we were sat at our table, then promptly greeted by our server. She proceeded to go over the wines & beer list, then handing us our menues... Looked good I thought ... I looked again & they had printed "Happy 42nd Birthday" at the top of our menu. I love attention to detail & Mulvaneys did exactly that. From the fresh motzz to my delightfuly seared scallops or my hubby's juicy double cut pork chops.. I highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Is a Charm!chaslinDined on 8/22/2014This was my first visit to Mulvaney's and I'm a very picky, non-adventurous eater, so I was a little worried. My two friends really seemed to want to go there for lunch, so I decided to give it a go. I'm so glad I did--everything was fantastic and I will definitely return. We dined outside on the patio and, while it was a hot day, the shade made for a pleasant experience. My only issue would be that the menu is different every day and I would love to repeat the lunch meal I had, but I guess I'll just have to be brave and try something different again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Sacramento GemCACD7Dined on 8/21/2014Farm to Fork dining at its finest! Delicious food, attentive and friendly staff and wonderful historic setting. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Audra RobertsaudieappleDined on 8/15/2014Outstanding food. Great seasonal menu. High quality not only in the food, but service. Every detail was performed. From folding your napkin when you got up to use the restroom, to coursing your meal with the right silverware. No stone was left unturned. Exceptional in every way. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere/ FoodMacfoodyDined on 8/15/2014Had a great dinner at Mulvaney`s. This is a Top Notch restaurant. We walked in to see the Mayor having dinner with Owner. We have wanted to come here for a while, but due to popularity and James Beard dinner fame, you need weekend reservations a week in advance. Very nice and casual but professional service. We had a Chef and Culinary Institute Of America of New York grad with us, and this dinner did not disappoint. Patrick came to our table and talked for 10 minutes with our guest. Nice Touch.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food & ServiceSunita54Dined on 8/14/2014I would highly recommend Mulvaney's for it's high quality & seasonal ingredients; courteous & attentive wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014Everything about our meal was excellent. The food was delicious; the waiter was smart, attentive, and made outstanding wine recommendations; and, the atmosphere was wonderful, befitting the occasion (celebrating my wife's birthday). We particularly enjoyed the leisurely pace of the meal, without the feeling of being rushed. Excellent attention to details.Special Features:
- Mulvaney's Friday nightPhillyPhanaticDined on 8/8/2014The wait staff was incredibly friendly and very attentive to our needs. The food was absolutely fantastic -- very fresh and quite tasty. The hostesses were a bit snobby and rude. Nonetheless, I highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableWayneOfRenoVIPDined on 8/5/2014Nice, but pricey. Asked about a particular varietal and server suggested most expensive in the category. Asked about another varietal and again the server recommended the most expense on the list. Food was very good and well presented.Special Features: