1215 19th Street
Sacramento, CA 95811Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mulvaneysbl.com/
- Phone: 9164416022x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
The patio tables are not reflected here at the website, please call the restaurant to check availability
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Patrick Mulvaney
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Mulvaney's B&L
As an American restaurant, we focus on seasonal local products from our friends the farmers. Likewise, our modestly priced wine list emphasizes producers from the West. We are a small restaurant, if there is no availability here please call the restaurant to check.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Mulvaney's B&L - Best Restaurants in Sacramento ›
Mulvaney's B&L reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (82)special occasion (80)neighborhood gem (56)great for outdoor dining (55)romantic (43)notable wine list (31)great for lunch (23)hot spot (22)good for groups (11)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Anniversary dinnerDinnerVIPDined on 8/30/2014A very memorable meal. Everything was outstanding and the service was second to none. Can't wait to go back some day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review & AdviceButtersDined on 8/30/2014My wife & I are foodies and often go into SF to hit the highly reviewed restaurants.Locally, Mulvaney's is our "go-to" restaurant for special occasions. We have tried MB&L enough to say the food & service can hold its own to almost any of the top end places in SF. It is consistent in its preparation, food and service. MB&L is part of Sacramento's list of places that can rival those in SF - thus saving 2 hours in driving and gas. As a side note & this is a touchy subject but for the life of me I can't understand why people bring infants into high end establishments. Other people are there celebrating special occasions & who may rarely get out. A crying child can ruin a evening for people. Get a babysitter or try a suitable family place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best meal of my monthphotophilDined on 8/29/2014It's rare that I visit one of the most highly rated restaurants in Sacramento, so it was with great anticipation that I booked a table for lunch at Mulvaney's B&L. The only thing I would change is that I wish I had more than an hour and a half to relax and enjoy the surroundings. Sure, one could easily be in and out in less time than that, but it was such a pleasure that I could have spent an entire afternoon just sipping coffee on the patio after enjoying a creative meal. I've had food from Mulvaney's before, but this was my first time there on a random day. I've heard it's just always that good. The service was great, from the moment I walked in the front door until I reluctantly left. My food was outstanding and so was my friend's order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50 BirthdayRoseblumDined on 8/28/2014First time, loved the place,food and server. FABULOUSSpecial Features:
- mccullbDined on 8/26/2014Always excellent food. Excellent service. We really enjoyed the halibut, scallops, and toast. Almost painfully loud for the first hour or so that we were there.Special Features:
- Great food & service!DelishDined on 8/23/2014I booked on open table for my husbands 42nd birthday . When we were sat at our table, then promptly greeted by our server. She proceeded to go over the wines & beer list, then handing us our menues... Looked good I thought ... I looked again & they had printed "Happy 42nd Birthday" at the top of our menu. I love attention to detail & Mulvaneys did exactly that. From the fresh motzz to my delightfuly seared scallops or my hubby's juicy double cut pork chops.. I highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Is a Charm!chaslinDined on 8/22/2014This was my first visit to Mulvaney's and I'm a very picky, non-adventurous eater, so I was a little worried. My two friends really seemed to want to go there for lunch, so I decided to give it a go. I'm so glad I did--everything was fantastic and I will definitely return. We dined outside on the patio and, while it was a hot day, the shade made for a pleasant experience. My only issue would be that the menu is different every day and I would love to repeat the lunch meal I had, but I guess I'll just have to be brave and try something different again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Sacramento GemCACD7Dined on 8/21/2014Farm to Fork dining at its finest! Delicious food, attentive and friendly staff and wonderful historic setting. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Audra RobertsaudieappleDined on 8/15/2014Outstanding food. Great seasonal menu. High quality not only in the food, but service. Every detail was performed. From folding your napkin when you got up to use the restroom, to coursing your meal with the right silverware. No stone was left unturned. Exceptional in every way. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere/ FoodMacfoodyDined on 8/15/2014Had a great dinner at Mulvaney`s. This is a Top Notch restaurant. We walked in to see the Mayor having dinner with Owner. We have wanted to come here for a while, but due to popularity and James Beard dinner fame, you need weekend reservations a week in advance. Very nice and casual but professional service. We had a Chef and Culinary Institute Of America of New York grad with us, and this dinner did not disappoint. Patrick came to our table and talked for 10 minutes with our guest. Nice Touch.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food & ServiceSunita54Dined on 8/14/2014I would highly recommend Mulvaney's for it's high quality & seasonal ingredients; courteous & attentive wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014Everything about our meal was excellent. The food was delicious; the waiter was smart, attentive, and made outstanding wine recommendations; and, the atmosphere was wonderful, befitting the occasion (celebrating my wife's birthday). We particularly enjoyed the leisurely pace of the meal, without the feeling of being rushed. Excellent attention to details.Special Features:
- Mulvaney's Friday nightPhillyPhanaticDined on 8/8/2014The wait staff was incredibly friendly and very attentive to our needs. The food was absolutely fantastic -- very fresh and quite tasty. The hostesses were a bit snobby and rude. Nonetheless, I highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableWayneOfRenoDined on 8/5/2014Nice, but pricey. Asked about a particular varietal and server suggested most expensive in the category. Asked about another varietal and again the server recommended the most expense on the list. Food was very good and well presented.Special Features:
- Next to kitchen and loved itBigCheese2014Dined on 8/1/2014Buzzing in kitchen and restaurant. Delicious food with a friendly wait staff. Chef came to the table and the meal was delicious.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/31/2014I met a friend for dinner at Mulvaney's and was somewhat disappointed with our experience. The food was exceptional and I enjoyed the atmosphere of the restaurant but the service was horrendously slow. It took us almost an hour to even order an appetizer. I actually liked our waitress and she apologized many times, but the service remained slow throughout the evening. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy dining and do not like to be rushed, but 3.5 hours for dinner on a Thursday night (for a party of 2) just isn't acceptable. We were offered free dessert which was appreciated, but I expected overall better service from a restaurant like Mulvaney's.Special Features:
- Mulvaney's B&L Top Sac Fine DiningCAMCKDined on 7/26/2014Mulvaney's ranks among the few top tier Sacto restaurants, if not the top. Patrick Mulvaney is a chef of incredible talent. Our favorite at this time of year is his incredible tomato/mozzarella plate - "Rey Yeung's Farm Heirloom Tomatoes & Hand Pulled Mozzarella" with a balsamic reduction, basil & olive oil. Sounds so simple, but we are die-hard tomato fans and Mulvaney's always has the best! The hand-pulled mozzarella is prepared in house and is out of this world. This plate is absolutely the best in Nor Cal if not the entire tomato state. We then shared the Seared Wild King Salmon with Saffron Cous Cous, Soil Born Cucumber & Pesto. (Soil Born is the farm). Excellent! Cooked just right. Great flavors, beautifully presented. You Must Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and overratedGlobaltasterDined on 7/25/2014This is my third time to this restaurant. For the price and portion, had better meals at other restaurants in Downtown, Granite Bay and Land Park.Special Features:
- Best in SacJamesDined on 7/25/2014Still one of the best, if not the best, restaurant in Sacramento.Special Features:
- Love this placesactownfoodieDined on 7/23/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Sacramento. Always good food, excellent service, and innovative. what more could you ask for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMONG THE BEST IN SACRAMENTO1KTravelerVIPDined on 7/18/2014This was my first time dining at Mulvaney's B&L. I asked for three courses, "Chef's Choice" with wine pairings. The first was an heirloom tomato salad with pulled Mozzarella. The cheese was incredibly delicious and buttery, melding nicely with the EVOO and aged Balsamic. It was perfectly paired with a Maldonado Chardonnay. The second course was a special request "toast points" served with a sauterne. It was sublime! The star of the show was a duck breast served over Bloomfield spinach and oven baked potatoes, next to a Sesame Red Pepper Coulis. It was delicious and tender, yet the heat from the Coulis added an Asian spice flair. The pairing with a Pinot from Santa Lucia Highlands was delightful. Peach Cobbler sealed the deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchsacfoodDined on 7/16/2014Loved the sturgeon and the pasta is always delicious. The patio is a great spot to eat when the weather is not to hot, an inviting spot.Special Features:
- Duck and sturgeonWatermelonKingDined on 7/15/2014Three of us each had different duck dishes and a hefty sturgeon fillet. All were superb. The service was impeccable and the wine recommendation had me searching for a couple of bottles the next day.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014We had the best service! She gave us so many details and provided us with options, very very good experience and excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mulvaney'sGloriaDined on 7/9/2014great ambience and the service ws impeccable! I love the farm to table concept. The wine list was great and well priced. Thanks for a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvfreshvegDined on 7/5/2014We were greeted kindly and a high chair brought to us. We were asked if we wanted or fish/steak medim or wel done etc. and we received it in the proper condition. The vegetables were local and absolutely delicious. Our water and bread were constantly refilled, our needs were met and we did not have to ask for anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great farm to fork food!CinaVIPDined on 7/2/2014We enjoyed everything that we ordered. We realize it's a fine dining restaurant; however, we felt the prices were exorbitant for the small portions. Because of that, lunch is a better choice. Since it was my husband's birthday, we went out afterwards for hot fudge sundaes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnnsieVIPDined on 7/1/2014We always enjoy this wonderful restaurant. The food is reliably delicious and beautifully presented. We had lunch on their patio, which has a lot of lovely shade and was very comfortable on a hot day. Our waitress was thoughtful and attentive, but also serving a table of about twenty people, so that slowed the service a bit. We noticed that there was a faint garbage smell on the patio near an open door by their trash area, and asked to be moved. Haven't had that problem before and hope we won't again.Special Features:
- A PleasureWatchkingDined on 6/27/2014It was our Anniversary and one of my friends recommended this place. We got there and was seated right away. I had made reservations. They change their menu daily so on the printed menu was Happy Anniversary which my wife noticed right away. It was a very nice touch. The waiter recommended some items and we picked some of them. The food was so fabulous. We had the heirloom tomatoes & Mozzarella which was amazing. My wife had the rib eye which was smoked and had great flavor. I had the duck, oh so good. Service was great and we would recommend this place to anyone.....Special Features:
- Excellent CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/25/2014Always the freshest of ingredients, stellar wait staff and inventive menus!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You have to eat here!Jesuit24Dined on 6/24/2014This is by far one of the best restaurants in the Sacramento area. Patrick the owner is very friendly, the food is to die for, and the ambiance is like no other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014Very loud in the restaurant. Food is excellent, but disappointed that the menu had not changed since I came here last summer. No specials being served. Wish I had gone elsewhere. Service was very slow.Special Features:
- FantasticYulianDined on 6/21/2014The food and service were exquisite. It had a high-class but homey feel. The staff was incredible and very friendly and casual feeling, yet very professional. The food was incredible. I ordered a 28 day aged rib eye, cooked well done. THe steak was so tender and juicy, my medium-rare loving girlfriend loved it, and she avoids well done. The ice cream at the end felt like whipped cream and ice cream had a baby. Best food ever.Special Features:
- Awesome Experience at Mulvaney'sSatisfiedinsactoDined on 6/20/2014Mulvaney's food and service were amazing. I've lived in Sac my whole life, and never stopped in to Mulvaney's until this weekend with my boyfriend. A little pricey, but totally worth it. We ordered the cheese assortment, the raviolis, the rib-eye and they were all way better than I could ever put into words. "Absolutely delicious" is all I can say, but that's as you would expect from a fine-dining, farm-to-fork restaurant. The wait staff was nothing but friendly and extremely attentive to our every need.We will definitely be back for our next occasion. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midtown Farm to TableLiveWellDined on 6/18/2014Mulvaneys's is one of our midtown Sacramento favorites (the other being the Press) We enjoyed a wonderful weeknight dinner -- good thing we had a reservation as all the tables in the restaurant and patio were filled. Our server, David, was excellent, as were all the support staff, and the food was fresh and delicious and the portions just right.Special Features:
- I wanted it to be better5ft19inDined on 6/17/2014What a fun place with fun and attentive wait staff, but I wanted the food to be better. The cheese board was delicious if a bit skimpy, the Rio salad was a clump of field greens with very little dressing and a crostini on top, edible but not very enjoyable, the pork chop was huge, cooked to perfection, but rather tasteless, despite a mildly minty marinade of some sort. The panzanella was decent, but it's really not much of a dish to start with, sort of croutons soaked with gazpacho. My dinner guest had the short ribs and octopus, the short ribs were apparently fantastic, but the octopus was anything but, he didn't finish but a couple of bites.Special Features:
- Always a pleasurePenelopeDined on 6/17/2014All was good. Parking is a stressful way to start the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CVGGDined on 6/5/2014They made our 15th Wedding Anniversay so special. It is our favorite restaurant in all of Sacramento.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Local Restaurantluv2dineVIPDined on 6/4/2014We found this restaurant online through Open Table since we were travelling to Sacramento. Great food and service. The bartender was fun the way he picked out the wine.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/4/2014Super service. Excellent pricing on the wine list for some hard to get quality wines. They do very interesting fruit/veg preps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.