Il Mulino Trattoria
36 East 20th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Il Mulino Trattoria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ilmulino.com/
- Phone: (212) 777-8448
- Hours of Operation:
MON - WED 11:30AM - 11:00PM
THU - SAT 11:30AM - 12:00AM
SUN 11:30 AM - 11:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Michele Mazza
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We do catering for both small and large events.
- Special Events: Mulino Trattoria can accommodate up to 150 guests on the main dining room and up to 40 guests in a complete private room.
- Cross Street: Between Broadway and Park Avenue South
- Public Transit: 4, 5 & 6 trains to 23rd Street and N, R & Q trains to 23rd Street or Union Square
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Manhattan Parking Group
32 Gramercy Park South, New York, NY (212) 533-0863
Icon Parking Systems
245 East 19th Street, New York, NY (212) 505-7942
A word from Il Mulino Trattoria
Reigning from the Il Mulino New York Family, Mulino Trattoria is now open in the heart of Manhattan’s Gramercy District. Mulino Trattoria delivers a fresh dynamic while preserving the modern elegance of the Il Mulino New York name. Executive Chef Michele Mazza has created a menu that boasts Mulino Trattoria New York’s traditional Italian cuisine along with original dishes that reflect the sophistication of downtown.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Il Mulino Trattoria reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (47)neighborhood gem (37)special occasion (25)great for lunch (23)hot spot (23)good for groups (21)romantic (18)notable wine list (13)great for brunch (8)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Dinner in the Twighlight Zone!TobycatVIPDined on 11/22/2014A truly bizarre experience. Even after confirming the reservation earlier they clearly did not have it when we arrived. We were seated right next to the bar in the front area. The waiter was just odd - hovering over the table making strange comments. After 10minutes someone came to check the name on reservation and seemed embarrassed. Food ranged from good - meatballs to just plain poor - capellini w/ pesto. While we never said anything, management must have realized things were not going well. They sent over dessert comped but even then the waiter made it seemed like it was done against his wishes. When we asked for the check he told us it was all comped but then made it uncomfortable by acting as if we were rubes for not knowing who was chomping the meal! Ruined what was a nice gesture.
- extremely overpricedjimcDined on 11/21/2014Extremely overpriced, especially for food that's very average at best. Service was adequate but certainly not outstanding. One party member ordered veal that had to be sent back as one pieced was tough.
- Amazing dinnertorres6Dined on 11/15/2014The place looks great and is quite spacious. The food is beyond amazing. The service was good and friendly, but it did seem a bit rushed. Overall, a great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs upgradeecp123Dined on 11/2/2014Food was good but the service was so scattered and discombobulated. And that was with only 4 or 5 tables seated. Two brunch items were brought out with some of the ingredients missing. One of the four main courses arrived almost 10 minutes after the other 3 so we were almost done eating by the time it arrived. Drink orders were forgotten twice. Can't imagine what it's like when they are busy. But it's a pretty space and the food overall was tasty.
- Great birthday dinner spotAmymc72Dined on 11/1/2014I took my daughter to NYC as a surprise for her 10th birthday and Il Mulino Trattoria was my choice for her birthday dinner. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was appropriate for a child her age (who appreciates interesting food and is well behaved).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- woonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/30/2014Our first time here and it was wonderful...from our gracious hostess to our superb waiter Diego, we were impressed..the food is top notch and the room is very appealing....and the runners/bussers were just as good....hightly recommendedSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/30/2014disappointing food and service leaves a lot to be desired.
- Enjoyed very muchSteakloverVIPDined on 10/29/2014Il Mulino Downtown was fully booked so we tried this location. Different ambiance but just as good. 5:30 reservation so empty and quiet. Started with drinks:Rosa margarita and their Cosmo, both really good. Bread and salami served immediately upon seating...tasty. 2 glasses of Chianti...perfect accompaniment. Husband had the Tomato salad. Mains: spaghettini w/ meatballs, veal picatta with a side of spinach. Both excellent. I enjoyed my veal here more than downtown. Salted caramel ice cream for dessert. VERY attentive service. Will return.Special Features:
- Won't go backgasil66VIPDined on 10/24/2014The food was good but extremely overpriced. Especially in light of ESPN Sports Center being projected - huge - on the wall next to our table. Was I in a sports bar? Couldn't figure that out. With lots of great food in the neighborhood and more reasonable prices I won't be going back.
- bibloDined on 10/23/2014Everything we had was more than delicious. From the bread through to the wonderful desert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/14/2014The food was good, but the service left a bad taste in your mouth.Special Features:
- New GempmmnycVIPDined on 10/5/2014Had brunch here for the first time since I noticed it appeared in the previous spot for Parea. New industrial design is very cool, and the ricotta meatballs were great. Will come back for dinner!Special Features:
- Shocking bathroomsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/20/2014The food is pretty good and the place certainly hums, but the unisex bathrooms which are straight off the dining area are a disgrace- dirty, with toilet paper all over the floor and a bin overflowing with paper towels. More than enough to put you off your food. Completely unacceptable and a genuine reason not to recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- Neighborhood Gem,Except for NoiseOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/18/2014The food and service are 5 star. The noise level in the back of the restaurant is impossible...barely ok in the front. They need to remedy that situation quickly.Special Features:
- Exceptional Dining ExperiencePinaDined on 9/17/2014Friendly Staff, & a variety of dishes to choose from. Atmosphere was good, needed a bit more light to read menu was the only concern .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always visitFavoriteFoodsDined on 9/17/2014Every time I go to New York , I have to have dinner here. Love the menu, the neighborhood, love the watermelon but rats salad!Special Features:
- Not worth expenseOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/16/2014I was expecting some outstanding food with the Il Mulino name but was disappointed. Food was good not great with better Italian restaurants in the neighborhood.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/13/2014This is the second time we've dined at Il Mulino Trattoria and once again, the food was extraordinary! While the food lived up to and may have surpassed expectations, the service was really not up to the caliber of this restaurant. There seemed to be lots of people mulling around each table but no one seemed really attentive nor dedicated to seeing that our dinner was served properly. While discussing the menu, the waiter seemed unfamiliar with the various options available and needed to stop and confer with either the chef or a senior staff member several times. Not sure if he was in fact the waiter or merely someone taking our order. The host was very nice and attentive, offering our pasta "complimentary" as it wasn't served on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- big tv lighting up dining roomFreqdinerVIPDined on 9/12/2014First table we were given was in bar. Second table we could see the 100 inch projection tv of the mets game. Felt like a sports bar... Overpriced but food is good.... But do r subject me to a sports bar big tv. Mets game reflecting off Windows and everything else. . Probably will not be back.... ever....
- KateVIPDined on 8/31/2014We went to Il Mulino Trattoria based on a favorable review in the Wall St. Journal and were quite disappointed. The ambiance was that of a sports bar rather than an upscale Italian restaurant. The front dining room where we were seated is dominated by a large screen (as in 6 feet by 6 feet) television that was tuned to ESPN the entire time we were there. There was also fairly loud piped in music. The food was quite good but incredibly overpriced. I ordered the halibut which was $38 and came with no sides. A side order of spinach was another 10 bucks. On the plus side, our waitress was excellent as was the entire staff. There are too many outstanding dining choices in NYC for me to return to this one.
- It you are looking for LOUDOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2014LOUD is the theme in this trendy, in spot for dinner. 2 of 3 dinner choices were very good, the third should have been sent back. Not my first time here, but will be my last!Special Features:
- abouttown1Dined on 8/19/2014I have been her several times and I have consistently found the food and service exceptionally good. While all the food is expertly prepared, the ricotta meatballs and the pasta with truffles are not to be missed.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodMikeDVIPDined on 8/14/2014This was my first visit and I was very impressed. The food was fantastic....to be savored. The service was OK....needs some work. Decor interesting. Noise too loud for quiet conversation. I'd return for the food anytime!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/13/2014Quality of food reflected high volume, long wait on stove or heat lamps, didn't live up to reputation or description. Restaurant Week portions more "tasting menu" & overcooked. Servers Not your new BFF.Special Features:
- Delicious food in a modern settingRainbow3feVIPDined on 8/10/2014This Trattoria has food as well prepared as the original Il Mulino. However, the service lacks interest and attentiveness. We were 4 people. Three ordered a bottle of wine and one ordered a drink. The wine arrived and was poured but about 10 minutes later, we had to ask again for the drink. There was no apology. They ran out of breadsticks at 8 PM on a Sunday night an decided not to make more since the restaurant was not crowded. The servers were courteous but did not show the kind of professionalism you would expect in a fine New York City restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYfoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014First time here and did not disappoint... Wonderful interior design with food and service to match... Judy happens to be down the block from the famous " Gramercy Tavern"..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TWICE THE CHARMER...DEB1VIPDined on 8/5/2014My friend and I liked it so much the first time, we came back shortly thereafter... Sitting at the Chef's Bar you can see the love 'Ariel' puts into each preparation and his recommendations have been right on each time... we'll be back after Labor Day...Special Features:
- Great food & service!StephanieGDined on 8/4/2014The found was amazing! I dreamed about the barata on watermelon for the next week! The mushroom raviolis, grilled octopus and stuffed calamari special were all exceptional. The staff was great, very knowledgeable and offered us complimentary shots at the end of our meal! Will absolutely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service too aggressiveHKPPVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food was great but the service was so aggressive that we felt rushed throughout the dinner. The reception was not very welcoming either. Hope the place will be ran better soon.Special Features:
- First TimeAshleyDined on 7/31/2014Went here because of restaurant week, wanted to try something new! Loved the truffle ravioli, absolutely delicious. Pizza is fabulous too! Noise level was annoying, although of course it was busy. I feel like if they added buffers to the ceiling to detract from the noise it would be such finer experience. All in all I would recommend the place again, the staff was friendly, great food, and cool atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 224 reviews are from the Il Mulino Trattoria reviews archive.
- Restaurant WeekcaroleecarolieDined on 7/29/2014I came across this restaurant based on a friend who loves the original Il Mulino. The restaurant is very modern and comfortable, a little darker, and definitely was busy by the time we got our food around 7:30pm. Dinner was great, I especially enjoyed their wine selection. Before eating the bar tender was very helpful in making wine suggestions and even allowed me to taste before I made a final decision. Overall great experience, and worth trying during Restaurant Week!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/25/2014The services from the bust boys are very good and the 4 stars all go to them.... the maî·tre d' and the waiter can learn a lot from the lower level workers. The octopus appetizer is very good.. but the quality of food goes down from there in each course.
- Great foodYummyinthetummyDined on 7/24/2014Great food, but spotty service. We had to keep asking for wine from the bottle we ordered bc they wouldn't put it on the table. In addition, they didn't ask if we wanted another bottle after we finished the first (which we did) nor did they ask if we wanted any more drinks. They lost out on additional revenue due to spotty service. The noise level was very high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not in keepinghappyeaterVIPDined on 7/23/2014I have been to other il mulinos. The service was very slow amd overwhelmed. The noise level was deafening
- So disappointedLUVFOODTRVLVIPDined on 7/23/2014We were seated promptly for our 6:45 reso. When they heard we wanted the restaurant week menu, they weren't happy. Portions were tiny, and after sitting there for an hour and a half, our main courses hadn't come out yet. After two and a half hours, dessert hadn't come out, so I left without the third course of my prix fixe three course meal. Kitchen has serious issues as it wasn't only our table.
- overpricedeatsoutalotVIPDined on 7/22/2014Overpriced for what it is. Not the Il Mulino of old, trading on the name of a former great restaurant. Prices of entrees not worth it especially when all the side dishes are an additional $10Special Features:
- Trattoria Il MulinoPublicolaDined on 7/21/2014They better get their act together soon or they will destroy the good name of Il Mulino. The noise is not baffled and severely impedes any effort at normal conversation. The server was energetic and eager to please, but was totally undermined by the failure of a colleague, who was apparently responsible, to distribute menus. Also, the kitchen was exceedingly slow, and it took approximately an hour and a half to get our entrees even though it was late evening and the restaurant was emptying out. The food was mixed, and my wife suffered severe GI distress after the meal, probably from the oysters. I welcomed the Trattoria because I have always though Il Mulino was the best Italian restaurant in NYC, but we won't be going back to this one.
- Great Findnewport5VIPDined on 7/21/2014We went to Trattoria IL Molino for New York restaurant week. The lunch menu was very good. There were so many other dishes I would have loved to try but it was a wonderful experience and I will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stavros AktipissaktipisDined on 7/10/2014Very nice restaurant with good food and service. Amazing to say.. that the music was great also but noisy room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EH???goodfoodVIPDined on 7/9/2014It is so loud at 8pm that hearing your dining companions or the wait staff is really tough! Some sound absorbing tiles would help tremendously.