149 Mulberry St.
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mulberryproject.com/
- Phone: 6464484536
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 6:00pm - 2:00am, Wednesday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 4:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael "Kiwi" Camplin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
- Special Events: For event inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
A word from Mulberry Project
Mulberry Project is a chic restaurant and subterranean cocktail lounge tucked beneath the 'Mean Streets' of little Italy, and boasting an impressive outdoor garden in the rear. The ever-evolving menu of creative plates by Executive Chef Michael "Kiwi" Camplin prominently features market fresh, seasonal ingredients and a variety of flavors to please all palates and perfect to share. The market fresh theme continues behind the bar where some of New York City's premier bartenders offer a 'no-menu' approach to cocktails, striking up conversation and tailoring each guests' libation to his or her particular taste with fresh fruits and exotic ingredients. The outdoor patio & garden feature a 55-person seated dining area with the wooden booths for a group setting, as well as smaller intimate tables for two. Installations and exhibitions by notable street artists adorn the walls and outdoor space, harkening a New York that is seldom seen anymore.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mulberry Project reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (5)neighborhood gem (4)romantic (4)hot spot (4)fit for foodies (2)good for groups (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014nice spot, but food needs improvement, although cocktails are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm a fanNishtaDined on 8/30/2014My husband organized my birthday celebrations there with friends and we had a blast. I have been back for a date night- equally fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/18/2014Perfect first or second date spot. Make sure to make reservation and sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not honor reservationRest12345VIPDined on 7/17/2014Waited for over 45 min to be seated for our reservation and decided to go somewhere else. They don't know how to manage crowds
- Speakeasy wonderlandOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/6/2014Behind the unmarked red door head out to the outdoor garden where the walls are decorated by street artist Aiko. The bespoke cocktails are the reason to go, and the food is a pan-Latin with a twist. I was born in Brazil and their novel and very non-traditional take on pão de queijo won over even this girl. Think upscale and fried bar food with a insider scene that is very fun. An oasis from the tourist mecca of Little Italy just outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better for DrinksSprowtVIPDined on 6/27/2014I have to admit, I was a little disappointed with the Mulberry Project. My drink was great, as expected, and had I only been going there for drinks, it would have been a success. But I really didn't love the food. The menu was odd, geared more towards expensive snacks than dinner, despite the fact that the whole backyard was filled with people having dinner. And the food just didn't live up to expectations. My carne asada was pedestrian. Our cheese croquettes were pretty good as appetizers. The scallop ceviche was fine, but nothing I'd order again. Ultimately, Mulberry Project makes great drinks. And it has a great backyard. There is plenty going for it and it's certainly a fun place to start your night.Special Features:
- Great cocktails, bad serviceHappyBellyDined on 6/6/2014Had a really great time, but the poor service put a bad memory on the night. Only half our food came, when I asked if the rest was on it's way they assured me it was... when I asked the second time they said the kitchen was now closed. Boo.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKCarlVIPDined on 6/6/2014Cool setting... great drinks. But we had to wait over 20 mins for our drinks and there were only a couple people at the bar. Made no sense. And it was incredibly loud. Ended up leaving so we could actually talk with each other.Special Features:
- The following 114 reviews are from the Mulberry Project reviews archive.
- Are you out of anything else?DavidBVIPDined on 4/23/2014Great speakeasy scene. No sign on the door, so it made for a good ambience of a speakeasy. I took some employees for dinner and they thought everything was okay, except the drinks. The DRINKS are AMAZING!!! The food was okay, nothing to brag or write home about. It was annoying because the waiter started off with telling us 6 things that were on the menu, but were not available. Then kept coming back or telling us during our ordering that they were also out. Subpar food, but amazing drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kerryDined on 4/17/2014Could find restaurant. 149 mulberry st ny ny. Try to call multiple times with no answer
- Our server was polite andOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/23/2014Our server was polite and helpful. Food took a bit of time to come out but it was tasty. Drinks could have been better was a little disappointed in the cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Crowded to EnjoyGeeeDined on 3/2/2014Made reservations for 3, but when we arrived the doorman warned us it was super crowded and we might not want to go in. He was right - we went in for all of 2 min and left because there was no room. He was nice enough to recommend a place down the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's OKzachattachDined on 2/21/2014The title about sums it up. The food was less impressive than the menu description made it sound. The cocktails were less imaginative than I had hoped. Was any of it bad, though? No. There is a back bar area that I felt had an ambiance that spoke to me more than the main room's, and the cocktail emphasis differs. We ended up sitting in the main room because the back room was empty, and being just two, we wanted attach ourselves to the life of the crowd gathered in the front room. Just a tip, but: If you were out with a large, not hungry group you could probably take over the back bar, have dedicated bar tender attention, and really have a good time. I wouldn't mind trying this myself.
- Birthday DrinksBblaDined on 2/21/2014The service was outstanding, Drink #1 was with elderberry - he came back with something with grapefruit, was a bit sweet Drink #2 was one of their standard cocktails (ends in Carre) - very good, but I've had better. Definitely a special occasion kind of place. Trufflie fries were great!Special Features:
- Great pop-up speakeasyCItyHDined on 1/26/2014Friendly people, well crafted drinks and a great ambiance make this a special place to try before it's too late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our server Jessica was amazing!ElizVIPDined on 11/23/2013Our server Jessica was amazing! She made the birthday celebration perfect. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks!dinerintheroughDined on 11/13/2013Wonderful speakeasy with amazing drinks and shareable dinner plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The truffle fries and baconOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/25/2013The truffle fries and bacon wrapped dates where delicious. We each had bespoke drinks and they were great. We ordered steak and they forgot to tell us they were out. However our waiter offered to get us anything else on the house. We declined but it was nice that he offered. Overall great experience, looking forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud , bouncer unfriendlyDisappointedDined on 10/11/2013Even with reservations we had to wait 30 minutes and then they seated us right next to the sound system so none of us could hear each other. On top of that, it took 45 for the waitress to even come by our table even after asking repeatedly. Decent ambience but not worth all the issues and certainly did not live up to the hype
- service needs some workctv123Dined on 10/1/2013our server was all over the place, forgot items requested from our table.
- The outdoor space is amazing.shelbyDined on 9/20/2013The outdoor space is amazing. I highly recommend sitting there if you are going for dinner. The outside can get kind of loud.Special Features:
- Come for cocktails, not the foodSoniaVIPDined on 9/12/2013Nice cocktail bar with a variety of different drinks. This place is rather a late night location than a bar where you start your night out. We tried different things from the food menu but everything we ate was rather poor in taste. Don’t go here for the food, but for late night cocktails.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2013Tried this place after a lot of hype and was sadly disappointed. The service was horrible!! The waitress brought us water and a menu and then disappeared it took over 25 minutes for her to come back and take the drink order and it wasn't that crowded. I almost walked out, but liked the outside patio enough to endure the ridiculousness. The food was also pretty disappointing. The truffle fries were great, but everything else was nothing special. The sliders were basically a sandwich cut in half....seriously! The drinks were good and very strong, although overpriced. Even for little italy, there are much better options. Go to Plan B (no pun intended, but totally intended, Gatsby's, or Spring Lounge instead).Special Features:
- Best Cocktails In NYCother1Dined on 6/21/2013The food was fine but nothing special, but the drinks, amazing! Just tell the bartender what you like and they mix up something amazing just for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktail barNotfromNYCDined on 5/4/2013Went to dinner here last week. The food was fine but it is not really a place to dine. There is only 1 wine on offer and while the cocktails 'are matched' to the food, they really didn't match. The music was so loud speaking to each other was impossible. Saying that, when the rest of my party left in frustration, I stayed on with a friend and really enjoyed the music and cocktails. This place is a must for cocktails - do not bother going for the food.Special Features:
- Had reservation, was walkedBPC70VIPDined on 4/27/2013Had reservation, was walked in and never seated. Worst service ever, but very nice bar concept.
- FUN drinks!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/13/2013Fun for my boyfriend's bday! Best part is the cocktails and mixologist. Very cool place to try!Special Features:
- I've only been here for drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/5/2013I've only been here for drinks and it's a great place. I love their ordering concept and I'm always happy with the drink that arrives. They have a nice outdoor area but the music inside can get very loud.Special Features:
- Won't be Returningj868jennVIPDined on 3/30/2013I thought this was going to be more of a restaurant but it's way more of a bar. The food was good although we were encouraged to order way too much food. The seating arrangement is pretty tight and awkward - you are literally hearing every word from the table to your left and right. The drinks which were supposed to be the highlight of this place were less than mediocre. They also listed me as a no show to open table which then had to be resolved. I won't be returning.Special Features:
- Stick to cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/29/2013Had been here once before on a thurs night for drinks. Great cocktails and place looked lively and food looked good. Came back for a Friday night dinner. Service was slow, bar was full and it took mearly 15 minutes to get our cocktails! Menu is super limited. Only about 9 small plates to choose from, 4 pricey entrees and a few sides. Food was ok nothing amazing. But again, second round of cocktails took another 15 min! Music also is playing so loud you are literally yelling across the table. Will probably return for cocktails on a week night but no more dinners.Special Features:
- Absolutely love Mulberry Project!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/29/2013Absolutely love Mulberry Project! I hadn't been in a few months. Not totally sure how I felt about it this time...usually I order an ambiguous drink but the waitress this time was trying to be more directive about my drink. I also am not sure how I feel about the new small plates menu but that's probably just because I wasn't used to it. Still an amazing place and will be back!!Special Features:
- Excellent Cocktails, Mediocre FoodemckaeVIPDined on 2/23/2013This is a cool little spot. The dish concepts were great but all of our dishes were over-salted (a duck dish we got literally had a pile of sea salt in the middle). The bacon wrapped dates were the only exceptional item we ordered and I highly recommend them. Will perhaps return for cocktails when the weather is warmer and they open up the patio.Special Features:
- Very trendy. Be sure to makeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/23/2013Very trendy. Be sure to make a reservation if you plan on having dinner, gets very crowded. Food was delicious and drinks were yummy.Special Features:
- Good drinks, food was poor-OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013Good drinks, food was poor- way too salty. Staff is great and will definitely go back for drinksSpecial Features:
- Cozy and Fun... Great find!NY2LADined on 2/1/2013Cozy and Fun... Great find! Must try one (or more) of the various exotic drinks.Special Features:
- Would not recomend for theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/26/2013Would not recomend for the food. It was terrible. Speakers are so close to the tables, makes it uncomfortable to eat. They should just focus on their great drinks and close the kitchen. This should just be a bar!Special Features:
- Do Not Honor Reservations - AVOID!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/24/2012In spite of having a reservation for Friday night (3 people), the "bouncer" turned our party away since "Open Table often allows people to make reservations even when the restaurant does not have the space to accommodate guests".Really? If the restaurant KNOWS this to be a problem, why not fix it instead of having people trek all the way down and hearing such nonsense?Or were we turned away because we were two guys and one girl, in which case don't allow reservations to be made after a certain time - just enforce a "bottles only" / "at doorman discretion" policy a la Meatpacking and attract a different type of crowd
- Totally underwhelming.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/20/2012Service was lacking in many areas.... brusk manners, no attention to refilling water, no familiarity with the cocktail menu, dishes were brought out out cold, wouldn't run more than 4 credit cards, and tip was included (to top it all off). Food was uninspired and felt like something you'd expect at an airport... lobster roll buns were too big, BBQ slider rolls were soggy, steak came out cold, fries were scrappy, etc. For a bar that touts its cocktails, they even messed that up... server brought us the cocktail menu, but then when we went to re-order our drinks we were told they were not actually part of that evening's menu. Really? With 6 tables in the whole restaurant you can't handle making a few drinks that you've already served?Special Features:
- Not again!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2012Much less than expected! Drinks were not tastefull and food far too spice!
- Order bespoke cocktails, themattVIPDined on 11/16/2012Order bespoke cocktails, the bartenders are geniusesSpecial Features: