320 Columbus Avenue
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://mughlainyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 724-6363
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday/Sunday. 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Jonh ribero
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Private catering is available upon request.
A word from Mughlai
Located in a glass enclosed, greenhouse-like, corner location on beautiful Columbus Avenue, Mughlai has been a pioneering Indian Restaurant since 1984. Just a few steps from Central Park, the Museum of Natural History & the Beacon Theater, Mughlai’s signature blend of authentic Indian spices originate from regional foods and staples of traditional Mughal Cuisine, as well as the southern regions of Hyderabad. Mughlai combines the traditions of the royal cuisine with the contemporary trends of light, healthy & flavorful dishes. Mughlai offers a rich and dynamic selection of a la carte items as well as family-style entrees. Mughlai also serves an incredible lunch deal featuring thali’s (assortment of freshly prepared meats, vegetables, breads, curries and sweets) for $9.99 and up. Creative cocktails, Indian beer, lassi or tea help complete the experience at this UWS family owned jewel.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mughlai reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (5)kid-friendly (2)good for groups (2)special occasion (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Excellent Indian FoodgourmetfishDined on 10/8/2014If you like Indian food there is every reason to try Mughlai. Great variety of Indian dishes all very nicely done, in a comfortable environment that adds to the dining experience.Special Features:
- EstherVIPDined on 8/28/2014A pleasure to have dinner in a restaurant where I could see the food and speak to my friends without have to shout. Additionally, it was lovely to dine with white table clothes and cloth napkins. Thank you! It is no wonder this they have been in business for so long!!Special Features:
- sandygVIPDined on 8/22/2014Fo0o selection is great and the is very intentive to one needs.Special Features:
- Mughlai is DeliciousAnandDined on 8/17/2014All food excellent except the papads were too hot and the kidney bean dish too bland but the other dishes were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Indian in a good locationpa13VIPDined on 8/2/2014The food was authentic Indian cuisine, and very good, but not the best we've ever had. The service was decent, but it was also a very slow night with only a few tables dining at the time we went, meaning I would have expected much more personal attentiveness. Value for the price was very good. We would go there again if staying in the same neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ngangwalVIPDined on 8/2/2014The food has gone down in quality from the last time i was there. Initial bread was not cooked which had to be returned and way too much spice level on the vegetable dishes. The lentils were good and the service was good.
- The following 100 reviews are from the Mughlai reviews archive.
- Muglai great for lunchUpperWSDinerDined on 7/14/2014Food is good, service good, ambience great for conversation. But remember to ask for the lunch menu -- otherwise they will give you the regular menu, which is more expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Local IndianTomMVIPDined on 6/21/2014Casual atmosphere you would expect from a local place like this...but the food and service are well above that. Mine list not too bad either...short but well selected for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every time I'm in New YorkdbreischDined on 6/10/2014Service here is impeccable. They are very accommodating and ask all the right questions. The food is delicious and you can see it being made through the lass-enclosed kitchen. The tandoor is real.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gandmalibVIPDined on 6/9/2014the food was ok because most Indian food is good although our chicken was very under cooked was awful. The service however was awful. Our waiter gave the impression that he was reluctant to bring us anything and we practically had to tackle him to fill our water glasses. Very disappointing since we enjoyed the restaurant a lot a few years ago.
- Always a hit!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2014What makes this Upper West Side Indian restaurant so wonderful is the amazing food and professional staff. It is also the only Indian restaurant of the three or four in the same neighborhood where I see Indian people actually dinning in large groups. That's a tell tale sign of not only authenticity but good cooking. Rarely have I seen an empty table at Maghlai. I return again and again and introduce new friends to it all the time. Their take out is also equally as appetizing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It wouldn't take much....jmparisDined on 5/23/2014This could be a good little place with some tweaking. The tandoori was bland, but the okra was good. Needs a more aggressive stance to Indian spicing! But everything was fresh, and the service was very good.
- Great neighborhood restaurant.HelenVIPDined on 5/17/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the dinner we had at Mughlai. The menu was very extensive and included Indian dishes from many different parts of India. The service was reasonably prompt and very good. The food was delicious.Special Features:
- Friendly and delishOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/9/2014When we go to Mughlai we always order the whole trout. Other diners look skeptical but if you liked grilled fish, this is a delicious specialty and a great value. Other dishes are tasty and the service is pleasant and accommodating. And you can have a conversation with your dining companions! The only negative is that they now charge extra for plain rice. Huh??Special Features:
- Fabulous Indian food best in NYTomandMaryVIPDined on 5/3/2014We were stunned by the range of dishes, flavors and preparations. Having eaten Indian good for years we had never before encountered anything of such superb quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, attentive staffRoseVIPDined on 4/27/2014We enjoyed our meal very much but were particularly impressed by the staff all of whom were friendly and helpful. Batter fried cauliflower and the tandoori were especially nice. Waiters were good about telling us spice levels. The lamb vindaloo was really hot!Special Features:
- Neighborhood Indian foodGerardDined on 4/18/2014Great neighborhood Indian restaurant . Extensive menu, with wide variety of dishes. Pleasant warm atmosphere. Good service.Special Features:
- Revisiting MuglaiUpperWSDinerDined on 4/11/2014I hadn't been to Muglai in a long time, but ate lunch there with a friend recently. Food was excellent, service excellent - and it was quiet enough for a good sit and talk. Friend had a lunch platter -- devoured all of it. I had a vindaloo, which was tasty, not killer spicy. Recommend this place for lunch, definitely.Special Features:
- Good (not great) Neighborhood placeAdamVIPDined on 4/5/2014Went and had Chicken Tika Masala, a Cauliflower/spinach dish and some naan. The cauliflower was good - really good. The Naan was a little greasy (left a large shine on the wax paper and a small pool of oil) and the Tika was a bit sweet for my liking. Additionally, the portions were not large (Tika had 4 pieces of chicken and lots and lots of sauce). The wait staff was friendly and attentive and the restaurant has a glass enclosed kitchen so that families can watch the chef as he does his thing. Overall, a good experience, but not a great oneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food-Kind, Attentive ServiceGraceDined on 4/4/2014The Indian food at Mughlai can't be beat. It is simply the best. The servers are kindly respectful and attentive without being obtrusive. There is an air of gentle dignity in the place that accompanies the delicious and excellent cuisine. A very refreshing combination.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a dependable Indian neighborhoodsunshineVIPDined on 3/29/2014a dependable Indian neighborhood restaurant with many choices on the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty TandooriDobarryDined on 3/14/2014Great food, quiet enough to talk for two couples with a lot to say (even though a full house), and we'll definitely be back more often!Special Features:
- Great Indian foodCFJEBVIPDined on 3/10/2014My husband and I have gone to Mughlai for years. My husband loved everything he had. For me, it was a little to spicy this time around for food I always order. They were very accommodating and brought me something else. We love their food and come from the east side just to eat their food and it never disappoints us. We never eat at any other Indian restaurantSpecial Features:
- Really Great Indian FoodYummYummDined on 2/22/2014The food here is some of the best Indian food I've had in New York City. I only wish I'd had more time to try other items on the menu. Definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Naan Naan NaanFoodie007Dined on 2/16/2014Delicious varieties of tandoori specialties and 9 naan specialties.Special Features:
- Outstanding IndianUpperWestSiderVIPDined on 1/18/2014Just great, traditional, and solid Indian food. Great waitstaff and ambience as well. Definitely go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great indian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/10/2014Mughlsi is one of the best Indian restaurants in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian Delights at a Nice PricecooksdayoffDined on 1/5/2014Did an internet search for an Indian restaurant near New York Historical Society Museam and found info with a good NY Times review for this place. It was perfect! Tasty, interesting food at affordable prices a block away from museums and park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decently prepared Indian food.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/4/2014Decently prepared Indian food. Although there are some unusual choices on the menu, the results are just good, not scintillating. The hostess seemed to be on another planet, oblivious.
- In need of major improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/28/2013This restaurant used to be good. The food is stale and not properly cooked. Over spiced to hide the staleness of the dish. The over all appearance needs to be updated too.
- Excellent Indian cuisineHelenVIPDined on 12/21/2013We thoroughly enjoyed eating at Mughlai. Their menu was extensive and included Indian and Kashmiri dishes from the many parts of India. The servers were very attentive and friendly. The service was a little slow, but I attribute that to the care they took to be sure the dishes were prepared well. We definitely plan to return to this restaurant in the future.Special Features:
- Good Indian food for a night outgpsheadDined on 11/27/2013Great saag gohst (lamb), fruit & nut nan and lasses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can a restaurant get better?DavidDined on 11/27/2013Mughlai has been serving reliably good food at this location for decades. On our last visit, we found the food to be better than before. This is rare in my experience. The lamb was succulent and well spiced and the vegetable appetizers and dishes were fresh and interesting. Our group of 8 was treated very well. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before showCarltonVIPDined on 11/9/2013Went with family for dinner before show at Beacon theatre. Food and service was good. Would gladly go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodKathVIPDined on 10/19/2013The food was good but it took a long time to get served but that was because of a Saturday night and the place was full.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedUWS99Dined on 10/14/2013A friend wanted Indian food and Mughlai gets good reviews. It has been around for years, although I last ate there about ten years ago. This time the food was mediocre and the servers basically ignored us. I won't be back.
- Great food..service eh!LewisVIPDined on 10/11/2013We go here repeatedly despite service. Best Indian food in city. Just tolerate service. 45 minute wait for food to arrive each time. Need something. Waiters stand around doing nothing yet don't respond when you try to get attention. Even on weekday when relatively quiet. But take good with bad. Food is that good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than Average Indian FarePointCloatesVIPDined on 10/3/2013This is a regular for us. We do know our way around Indian food and find this to be better than most on the UWS. We find the service to be very good and ambiance is fine with a real tandoor on view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tasty food!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/21/2013Lived opposite this restaurant for 5 years and have been meaning to give it a try. Wasn't disappointed, the food was lovely. Went here for my anniversary and glad I did. I usually order Indian takeaway from another local restaurant but I might decide to switch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We are family style so weOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2013We are family style so we could try several dishes. Everything was delicious and the service was impeccable.Special Features: