Muddy Rudder Yarmouth
1335 US Rt. 1
Yarmouth, ME 04096Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Muddy Rudder Yarmouth
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.muddy-rudder.com/
- Phone: 2078463082x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11am - 9pm Friday - 11am - 930pm
Saturday 10am - 2pm Brunch 10am - 930pm Dinner
Sunday 10am - 2pm Brunch 10am - 930pm Dinner
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Come listen to out talented piano players that play on Wednesday, Friday and Saturdays.
- Special Events: Happy Hour daily from 3pm - 6pm
Let us cater your special event.
A word from Muddy Rudder Yarmouth
Matthew Witham is proud and excited to invite you to The Muddy Rudder Restaurant. We provide our guests with exceptional food, coupled with impeccable service, has materialized on the picturesque coastline of Maine. Welcome and enjoy…..Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Muddy Rudder Yarmouth - Best Restaurants in Yarmouth ›
Muddy Rudder Yarmouth reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (29)romantic (21)special occasion (21)fit for foodies (17)great for outdoor dining (17)good for groups (15)great for lunch (14)great for brunch (11)neighborhood gem (7)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- RobbyRobbyVIPDined on 9/18/2014We went for a family dinner and everyone was very happy with their meals. The meals ranged from steak to salmon and all were cooked to order and delicious.Special Features:
- Classy RestuarantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Beautiful facility with great piano bar. Very enjoyable dining experience, great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out for LobsterParrinoNightoutDined on 9/5/2014Had a wonderful evening with my wife while enjoying a lobster and shrimp dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/4/2014We visited Muddy Rudder during a week when we visited a number of high end fish restaurants. Muddy Rudder had good food, but not great. Good, solid comfort food, with great service. I had the seafood casserole and blueberry pie. Good fresh oysters. Very relaxed setting.Special Features:
- Always makes for a good stopEricDined on 9/1/2014On our way home, my wife and I stopped for dinner. Once again everything was fantastic. Great seafood, great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2014This may be my first ever negative review, but went there with 4 people, steamers were full and I mean full of mud, Tuna Steak was barely edible, very fishy, definitely old, Prime Rib was most definitely left over, not fresh, one person had the filet and said that was delicious, butter for the bread was good and French onion soup was good.Special Features:
- It's Just OkayBabsieDined on 8/22/2014Waitress was a delight. Food was less so. According to out group of four, onion soup very good, wedge salad was very good, clam chowder was cold and not at all good. A lot of places around here serve it. We would recommend that you skip it here. Fried haddock was good, roast beef very good, two of us had the special seafood casserole. It contained 2 shrimp, 2 scallops and a lot of pieces of mystery fish. Flavor was missing, tho it was not dried out. Skipped dessert. I wouldn't try it again. There are lots of better places here. Our view was of a bunch of dining chairs thrown outside, an old fence, a bunch of trash. For goodness sake, block the view! The waitress was a delight.
- A nice place for a special eveningjherforthDined on 8/21/2014My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Maine and were recommended the Muddy Rudder from family that lived in Maine for years. It was sold to us as a nice night out at a place that is great for special occasions. We weren't disappointed. I had one of the seafood pastas which was good and my wife had the scallop dishes which was excellent. The host and wait staff were very attentive. We went for an early dinner at around 5:30 and things were very quiet even though there seemed to be decent numbers in the restaurant that early in the evening. There were two large parties near us and everyone in the restaurant was dressed semi formal (polos, slacks, dresses) and children were quietly eating, so you know the food is good. Highly Recommend.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchGrazerVIPDined on 8/17/2014Beautiful table with a great view. Our waitress seemed a little preoccupied. Fairly typical brunch menu. Food was good and portions large. Food was not outstanding. It took a long time to get our meals once we ordered. I would return for brunch but it wouldn't be my first choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much improved menuGrazerVIPDined on 8/15/2014I had stopped going to this restaurant because there menu was tired and their service lackluster. My husband ate here with a group a week ago and suggested I try it again. I was not disappointed. The scallops were frsh and yummy. The server was knowledgable and attentive. We were a group of three and we all enjoyed it very much. We went back for brunch on Sunday !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!bjatravelerDined on 8/11/2014The warm rolls with slightly sweetened butter were a great start to our meal. The salmon special topped with a crab cake was outstanding ... and the fried scallops were sweet and large and just perfectly cooked! A reasonably priced bottle of Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc nicely complemented our meal. Service was very good and the tables are spaced well for privacy. Great value!! We'll definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food good...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Went to muddy rudder on Saturday night. There were 9 in our party. The server was very nice drinks came out quickly. Waited 30 mind. For our clam chowder to be served. And an hour for our food! Had clams/scallops they were good but could of been more for the price. Don't think it was the servers fault I think it was the kitchen.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never againMarthaDined on 8/7/2014Poor food, poor service, too loud, way overpriced. They capitalize on unwary tourists!Special Features:
- Scrumptious!LuvTheOceanDined on 8/2/2014Dining at the Muddy Rudder is an experience. The ambiance is wonderful, spacious, views are very nice overlooking a small active ocean inlet. I've dined here during the daytime hours and evening. All is beautiful. The food is unique, each item on the menu sounds too good to pass up. I have never had a disappointing meal. Nothing is overdone or underdone. Each meal is an experience in itself. I always side with seafood dishes, my husband as well but he has had the prime rib which he said was something he would not forget it was so good. Portion sizes are ample but not too large. The Muddy Rudder is pricey but it is a treat and worth it for a special afternoon or evening out.Special Features:
- AnonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014It was a quiet and nice environment to have a nice meal. The service was also good.Special Features:
- FREDDined on 8/1/2014I had reservations for 6:30 and right on the button I was seated, even though the person I was eating with had not arrived. It gave me time to look at the superb wine list and order a wonderful bottle of wine. The service, food, presentation and the ambiance is well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is only so soJimPDined on 7/26/2014Good service and a nice location, but a very boring menu and food that was not particularly well prepared.Special Features:
- My reviewPWZoDined on 7/24/2014What a wonderful place to stop and enjoy our first dinner of our Maine vacation. The staff was friendly, the portions were great and the service was excellent. When you go, don't forget to visit the restroom, where they have an amazing salt scrub soap. Cleans so well and leaves a soft, refreshing sensation. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NothingmuddyhereDined on 7/20/2014We have been here a number of times - like the menu very much - just good food.Special Features:
- Fine Dining at the Muddy RudderbldougDined on 7/16/2014Great Atmosphere, Fantastic Service and excellent food made our 20th Anniversary a special night out. From the Appetizers (Steamed clams and the Artichoke Dip), to the Salad (Caesar), to the Entree's (Seared Scallops and Filet Migon) and finally dessert (Creme Brulee and Blueberry pie and Ice cream), everything was high quality and delicious. The restaurant was very considerate and prepared for a Gluten free meal for my wife - Plenty of choices for her. Our waitress was charming and attentive. Overall, it was a memorable evening!Special Features:
- The following 163 reviews are from the Muddy Rudder Yarmouth reviews archive.
- always goodmarieDined on 3/9/2014We always enjoy Muddy Rudder Yarmouth when visiting Maine. Since it was off season, it was easy to get a table. They were really great adapting the menu for food allergies. All 5 of us enjoyed our meals. The menu was original and creative without being snobby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bits and PiecesFoodieDined on 3/7/2014I have not been to the Muddy Rudder in years. My boyfriend and I went there for my 30th birthday. His prime rib was to die for. It was cook perfectly, melted in your mouth, and had tons of flavor. I got the fishermen’s platter. It has more food than you can ever eat but the quality was subpar. It had no real taste to it. Their tartar sauce has a strong horseradish taste, and the seafood tasted kind of like old oil. I would recommend the Muddy Rudder because it has a very nice and relaxing atmosphere, a nice view, and I think I just got a dud. I would recommend that they update their chairs because a couple of them were holding on for dear life. Our waitress was friendly but it she took a long time to get our order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Groupon brought us in...ChrisDined on 2/16/2014…but the food and service will bring us back. My husband and I visited to celebrate Valentines Day. We shared a bottle of wine and then a Caesar salad. The entries, a special salmon and the seafood casserole, were delicious. We finished with a warm apple tart with vanilla ice cream and coffee. Our server, Angela was attentive and made good recommendations. All in all, two thumbs up. Thanks for asking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- could be bettersnowdogDined on 2/14/2014appetizer and dessert were very good but the entree was barely warm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DinnerRonMDined on 2/14/2014Another great dinning experience at the Muddy Rudder which we have been patronizing for many years, always good food, service and nice settingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I requested a simple tableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014I requested a simple table by the window for my newlywed bride. And they pulled through! :) It was very romantic abs simple at the same time, not a single thing to complain about!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite dining spotssakdpDined on 1/25/2014The food and service is always good. Do so enjoy the piano music at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceCarlDined on 1/25/2014We went with friends and we're able to sit a talk for a lengthy time, it was a wonderful experience. And they were able to seat us before our reservation time.Special Features:
- So dissapointedDiggersDined on 12/24/2013We booked a table for 3 for 7pm on Christmas Eve. We opted to have two portions of mussels to share between the three of us, two of us ordered seafood casserole and one a seafood pasta dish). And then the wait began ! The waitress, would disappear for 10 mins at a time and after about 25 mins eventually informed us the kitchen was really backed up and running about 45 mins behind. The bill took another 10 to 15 mins for the bill to arrive, by now the restaurant was at least half empty In summary if you are going to open on key dates like Xmas Eve, please resource the restaurant and especially kitchen, appropriately because the wait we experienced, followed by both starters and mains arriving almost simultaneously was frankly ridiculous.Special Features:
- Good food, great service.DukeDDined on 12/14/2013We visit Freeport every year an the Muddy Rudder is a must stop for us. I had fish and chips that was out of this world. Specials looked pretty good too. Wish I remembered what my fiance' ordered.... but she loved it. Service was excellant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mixed review.....idlacromDined on 12/14/2013We've dined at the Muddy Rudder every time we're in Maine and enjoy it greatly. On Saturday night they have a talented pianist creating a lovely ambience. Unfortunately for my significant other, their version of "medium" for her prime rib was very much too rare. After sending it back twice it finally looked like medium. On the other hand, my grilled salmon was wonderful, perfectly prepared. After seeing the difficulty we had with the prime rib, the manager offered complimentary desserts for both of us, which we enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat disappointedJudyDined on 12/12/2013Three of the four diners had filet mignon and it was not what we expected. Rather tough and sinewy. Not as good as usual, but we'll try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent FareOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/27/2013We dine here several times each year. The food is quite good and pretty consistent in quality. On our last visit, the waiter greeted us and recited the daily specials. He asked if we wanted to order appetizers, which we did. He then scurried off without asking if we wanted drinks. It was 10-15 minutes before he came back at which time I told him we would like to order drinks. It was not a busy night. Overall, the food was good. The waiter never brought out a bread basket, which all other tables had. Service was mediocre. Very nice waiter but was not really attentive to our needs.Special Features:
- DisappointedBazhaDined on 11/22/2013When we first arrived, we were brought to our table, the menus dropped on it for us and wished a good meal. Right then I new it had probably gone downhill from the last time we dined there. The ambience was wonderful, the pianist is fun. The waitress was unobtrusive, sometimes to the point of me needing to have to ask for a refill. I ordered my dish without tomatoes and there they were. The waitress did realize it, only after she prepared the bill, and did apologize to me. (We shared the dish, so gave them all to my husband.) The salad was good as well as a tasty soup. I did not care for with the presentation of the Shrimp Scampi nor the flavor. It did not taste fresh and looked like it had been reheated. The scallops were mushy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningKsr1Dined on 11/9/2013Dinner was tasty, ambiance comfortable with background piano music Will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!Two4dinnerDined on 10/26/2013The food was great , service was great, ambience was very nice. Hadn't been there for a few years and was very pleasantly surprised. The whole experience was just great. Certainly will visit there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliablesnipsVIPDined on 10/19/2013The Muddy Rudder has been a Yarmouth-Freeport staple for many years and is always a reliable spot for a fried seafood platter, lobster roll, or some other traditional Maine fare. We enjoyed the fried clam, a couple of Shipyard exports, and a lobster roll and after a long days travel to get to Maine, few things say welcome better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!Jeepgyrl25Dined on 10/19/2013Great food, wonderful service and friendly staff! I know that The Muddy Rudder was known as a touristy-but-not-exceptional restaurant for a long time...This is definitely not the case now! Our waiter, Eric, was friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable...Would definitely visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful piano musicMoi1VIPDined on 10/12/2013What a pleasure to have a live musician playing lovely music. The food was fine, the service good, but the ambiance was all quite enhanced by the live music. Everyone I our family large party commented on how that is rare - and much appreciated.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family GatheringMIMS80Dined on 9/8/2013Great menu, ample variety for all ages, tastes and restrictions. Easy to reach location, experienced and pleasant staff. We look forward to many more lovely gatherings at Muddy Rudder. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.