8631 Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://muddyleek.com/
- Phone: 3108382281
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Happy Hour: Tuesday - Friday : 4:00pm - close @ Bar
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Whitney Flood
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Bon Mélange Catering offers full service catering and events. Chef Whitney and Julie Retzlaff have been running Bon Melange for the past seven years prior to the opening of Muddy Leek. Offering Organic, Local, Sustainable cuisine to clients across Los Angeles.
- Private Party Facilities: Tucked away in the beautiful Arts District of Culver City, Muddy Leek is the Neighborhood Gem that awaits to serve you. Indulge in Chef Whitney Flood's cuisine complimented by Beverage Director Sarah Kay Godot's cocktail program! Our heated & enclosed patio is the perfect backdrop for any occasion!
- Private Party Contact: Julie Retzlaff 8669571425
A word from Muddy Leek
Muddy Leek is an innovative, gourmet restaurant practicing farm-to-table sourcing and dedicated to providing food for enriching the moments in life we wish to celebrate. Using exclusively organic, locally farmed produce, the kitchen at Muddy Leek remains an ever-changing, dynamic place where curiosity reigns and each item is made in house from scratch. Creating innovative seasonal menus, owners Julie and Whitney are active members in the larger community of farmers, artisans and winemakers throughout Southern California working together to sustain the integrity of food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Muddy Leek reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (25)neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (21)great for lunch (14)good for groups (10)special occasion (8)romantic (5)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Top notch foodDrBobDined on 9/6/2014Other reviews have said that the location is suboptimal. We didn't find it at all. And the food in fact was very good. We had a superb tomato soup with lentils with in Indian curry spice undertone. I love for Risotto and the risotto here was first rate. The chicken pot pie was disappointing. But overall we had a very good meal.Special Features:
- Best for Apps & DrinksFateoptionalDined on 8/30/2014Entrees = problem here, inconsistent and over-priced. Beef cheeks tastes plain despite its beautiful tumeric-colored sauce. Chicken breast was juicy but $28 is way over-priced! You pay that in top restaurants, and the fly-swarmed patio @ Leek is not that (fly problems are common outdoors, but this is something the restaurant should watch -- perhaps spray down the flower beds right next to the tables?). Cheese and charcuterie plate was good, but half the bread was so hard as to be inedible. We felt like we were being used to get rid of old stock. Crostini should be crunchy, not hard. Wines = good, flatbread was nice. The fried bacon is a heartstopper, but good. Suggest going for apps and drinks. But entrees elsewhere until the prices settle.Special Features:
- great!stacyDined on 8/22/2014Loved this place! Awesome cocktails and the food presentation and quality were superb. Patio was cool. We will definitely return and highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for business lunchGraduationDined on 8/19/2014Had a quiet business lunch as the place was not too crowded. Would recommend sitting for business, as the tables outside were large group tables. Friendly and unique and good food!Special Features:
- Cute lunch spotDTD99VIPDined on 8/15/2014Came to Muddy Leek for lunch with a girlfriend and really enjoyed dining on their back patio. My curry chicken sandwich wasn't bad either, but I prefer their shrimp 'n grits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mostly well donerEViewsDined on 7/26/2014Nice ambience, interesting menu choices and good service. My wife was not impressed by her piece of fish. Said the ingreditents weren't necessarily up to the overall level and skill of the chef(s). I had a nice fresh carrot/ginger soup, a bit too gingery for my palage but forgiven with the oil drizzled in. Mushroom streudel was unexpected and worked nicely with a previously unknown blonde ale from the bar. Could use a little tweaking but I'd probably come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night PlaceSaraDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I went there this past weekend and had a great time. We had the pickled vegetables (so good) and drinks at the bar. The bartender makes a heck of a gin drink with cucumbers and mint. For dinner I had the lobster roll and the scallop special. My husband had the shrimp and grits and scallop special. The lobster roll was really good and my husband loved the shrimp & grits. He also really loved the scallop dish, but I wasn't as big of a fan as he was. It was good, but I thought it was a little bland, or maybe I was expecting there to be more pork belly, as there was only a few shredded pieces but it wasn't enough to flavor the black eyed peas. Overall though a great place! We'll go back.Special Features:
- Leeks, Who knew?live2eatDined on 7/25/2014Muddy Leeks was an excellent find. The food was excellent and the Cocktails were fantastic. I am going back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in Arts DistrictiSkylarkDined on 7/25/2014Tasty menu with even tastier cocktails! This looks like a fun place to come for happy hour. Fresh, seasonal menu and creative mixed drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DineLA weekvivi88Dined on 7/24/2014I may come back, but not for DineLA. The portions were small, and the entrées were hit or miss. I thought the quail was good, but others did not like their sea bass. The lighting is a bit too dark, but good for an intimate occasion I suppose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite a Find!maxwellsmartDined on 7/19/2014This is a lovely neighborhood joint that I can highly recommend... and frankly it's too brilliant spot to share with too many, so be careful who you tell! Delicious food, wonderful service, delightful patio in back!!!! Don't miss it!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/16/2014Unwelcoming. Our actual server was ok, but I felt like we were a problem being in the restaurant midday as everyone had tasks they were doing. plus they offered to get us change for the meters and never brought any! Finally gave up on the manager before getting a ticket. Plenty of parking, but the only meters I've used in years that do not accept cards. Plenty of more interesting menus in the area. Still waiting on our meter change. Keep it!
- Muddy Leek for Seniors!FoodieCentralDined on 7/3/2014My friend and I (2 ladies in their 70's) love to try new restaurants, but noise levels have become an increasingly important factor in the decision-making process. I'd been hearing good things about Muddy Leek's food, and we decided to give it a try, hoping the patio might offer a quiet atmosphere. We werethen told that there would be music in the patio that night (Thurs, 7/3) so thought maybe we should settle inside instead. The hostess was terrific, so helpful, re-seated us, but when she told us the music would be by a finalist on "The Voice" we immediately went back to the patio! Noise level was just fine, corkage fee reasonable, additional wine good, and the food terrific. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinnerdryanmillerVIPDined on 6/28/2014We stopped in here on a whim one night right as dinner was beginning. The food was great and the service was excellent, as they were the other times we have been here. We had our 1 1/2 year old with us and the waiter treated him like just another dinner and really helped keep him happy.Special Features:
- Fantastic!SallyLDined on 6/26/2014The food was amazing! we shared the lobster bisque, the yellowtail/avocado tacos and seared scallops salad as well as the beignets for dessert. Our dining experience could not have been better except the coffee was not very good - strong like I like it, but it tasted burnt. The back patio is such a great area to have lunch (or dinner). It was a perfect lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back Patio is Nice for LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/20/2014The back patio is pleasant for a summer lunch. Service is very attentive and the house-made sodas are very refreshing.Special Features:
- Organic, limited menu -martiVIPDined on 6/17/2014The pizza was too cheesy, the salmon salad was OK the vegetable special was very good.Special Features:
- stop the saltfoodie2Dined on 6/14/2014The atmosphere is wonderful…the drinks are amazing (specialty mixology from a pro)…the chicken fried bacon is incredible! UNFORTUNATELY… the entree and side dish I ordered (goat entree and spinach side) could not be finished beyond the first bite because of the absurd amount of salt thrown into them. I couldn't even taste the potentially lovely blend of flavors of the other ingredients. There is absolutely no reason or excuse for that much sodium. Horrible. And the unfortunate lack of cushioning for the outdoor seating also put a damper on an otherwise lovely evening.Special Features:
- UMBRELLAPOPPINSDined on 6/3/2014I love to dine here. Great for wonderful food. Great service. Warm and friendly. AND IT IS GREAT FOR CONVERSATION, hearing is possible!!Special Features:
- Date Night SpectacularchilekatDined on 5/31/2014Went to Muddy Leek for Saturday date night and we were not disappointed at all. Even though we were ~30 minutes late (which due to traffic and parking in LA is almost like being on time) the hostess was extremely gracious and seated us right away. The drinks were strong and delicious. The HS Thompson and Sara Vaughn. Our waiter was attentive and had a great sense of humor to boot. My boyfriend loved the chicken fried bacon and we both thought the baked mac and cheese with spinach was divine. We even got chocolate truffles with the check to round out a really fun night. Very cool vibe, gorgeous decor. I highly recommend and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 115 reviews are from the Muddy Leek reviews archive.
- For healthy eatersLKRJDined on 5/17/2014Healthy food that tastes good. Drawback: limited menu. Only one choice for desert.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not exactly what we expectedTinaODined on 5/10/2014Very excited to try Muddy Leeks, heard great things. The menu is limited and our guests said it was more limited than their last visit. Only one dessert; one salad. Food took a very long time. The server tried to explain the food delay, kept bringing bread, but table after table received their orders while we waited. We were told that it was the chicken that took such a long time. Doesn't make sense. When we arrived we were the only people in the place and we were the last people served. When we received the food it was good but not great. We came for a birthday (they were told up-front) and nothing was done, but we saw a candle in something at a nearby table.
- Great food ... service not so much!SallyLDined on 5/3/2014Enjoyed outdoor dining experience ... great menu selections but service was not that good - it wasn't that busy either. Will return because food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit & MissNeighborhoodDinerDined on 5/2/2014The Muddy Leek has a beautiful patio, lovely on a warm night. The menu is limited and this time we had one great dish, fish and one not so good lamb that was overcooked and wrapped in a doughy coat that was not at all tasty. I've been other times, sat at the bar and had appetizers that were really delicious. I won't rule it out, but I think it would be higher on my to go to list if the menu were not quite so limited.Special Features:
- Nothing special hereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/2/2014Restaurant was empty for a friday night. Menu is very simple and nothing special but overpriced. Ordered the flat iron steak and mac and cheese and everything tasted like salt. Server was friendly but that is about it. Had to grab some more food somwhere else afterwards. Will never go back. Nice open doors and windows as long as no one smokes outside and if they do the server will politely say there is nothing she can do and close the door for you.
- Worst dining experience ever?HmacgVIPDined on 4/26/2014Out of the five entrees listed, they were out of the two that we wanted. Who runs out of steak and chicken at the first sitting on a Saturday night? They substituted an overly salted chicken leg for the chicken breast. The house salad had not been tossed. We discovered a "glob" of dressing under the lettuce. As we were leaving, I told the manager that we did not have an enjoyable experience. Her response indicated that we were to blame... Would you want to eat here?
- Eclectic Interesting FoodHilaryDined on 4/26/2014This was an interesting restaurant, a perfect place if you are ready for a food adventure.very different cocktails and menu choices perfectly cooked and well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InconsistentprosAndconsDined on 4/24/2014My first meal at Muddy Leek was everything you want in a neighborhood gem. Solid/friendly service, delicious food/drinks/dessert/wine. Everything was consistently tasty and expertly prepared. Second visit, not so much. The service was still great (which in L.A. is a rarity unto itself), but the food was heavy-handed, overcooked and underwhelming. The pot pie was pasty, the chile rellenos were deep fried and burned, and the beignets were tough, dense and chewy. I really like this place but my advice: Don't let a crowded house overwhelm you.Special Features:
- Another Culver City gemWhetherpersonVIPDined on 4/23/2014Thirdvtime there and always an excellent meal at a fair price. Loved the peas ans asparagus salad. Two of us had the leek tort and wanted another. "Foodies" should make the pilgrimage.Special Features:
- Under ratedBandyDined on 4/12/2014The restaurant has a back outdoor area and a front all glass front section with a bar and a nice view of the street. The scene was relatively quiet for a Saturday. Food was interesting and good. The menu is small but that is usually a sign of concentration. The wine list was too short.Special Features:
- Love this PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014On previous occasions at the Muddy Leek I've been with girlfriends. This time I was with my husband and another couple and I'm happy to say that once again our group had a lovely evening. We sat outside on the patio, it was quieter than inside and warm and cozy - even though it was a cool evening. As always the service was fantastic, the menu had us all oohing and ahhing over what we wanted so I suggested ordering "family style" - trying a bit of everything. The guys didn't like the idea of sharing (why is that?) - but grudgingly agreed. Thankfully as each dish appeared and was enthusiastically devoured I knew that my recommendations for the evening had gone down well. Hats off to the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fast Becoming a Local FavoriteTheFoodalistDined on 3/29/2014Delectable delight of a neighborhood gem with an intimate patio setting and food that will tickle the taste buds. Also have some very drinkable French wines as a reasonable price for those of us allergic to CA wines (too many sulfites in CA wines for me).Special Features:
- my new favNejyannoDined on 3/29/2014The food & cocktais are so creative and delicious! The staff seems to be really having fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great find!DawnieDined on 3/28/2014Amazing food, great service and wonderful cocktails with interesting homemade ice cubes! I will be back and I will bring a few friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OFF NIGHT AT MUDDY LEEKLAFoodieVIPDined on 3/15/2014We've been a few times to Muddy Leek. The concept is great: Farm, local based food cooked at a high level. Really nice beverage service: interesting wines and trendy but tasty cocktails (Full Bar.) Generally tasty and imaginative food. But this time the food really fell down. Piazetta with Port Salut and Peas? Maybe it's our frequent visits to Mozza or Olio, but this dish was not fit for restaurant consumption. It reminded us of Virgin Air Upper Class food. Edible but that's about it. Mushroom Risotto? Not sure what the rice used was, but it was as far from al dente as could be and again was about the same quality as decent airplane food. Coffee? Burnt. Sent back. Taken off the bill, so points for that.
- Always GREAT... but this time.BenSDined on 3/8/2014We love their food and style... combination of key flavors is key and they do it very well. This time however, the chicken pot pie was a bit bland... perhaps my expectation of flavor was higher. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent! Waiter attentiveAlisonDined on 3/7/2014Excellent! Waiter attentive and professional and food was inventive and very fresh. Definitely a keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday LunchiubassDined on 3/7/2014My wife was a little skeptical when I told her...organic...farm to table but she was totally thrilled with the food and cocktails and so was I. They brought her a birthday dessert - lemon crepe with blood oranges and she wolfed it down and she is not a big dessert eater...said it was the best dessert she had eaten....thanks Muddy Leek for making my wife's birthday lunch memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The hostess could have beenKJonesDined on 3/1/2014The hostess could have been friendlier and the food, although delicious, took a long time to arrive.Special Features:
- Great apologydinerDined on 2/15/2014Everything was great, but we'd ordered too much food so we asked to take home the leftovers. Our server took 2 plates, and another staff member took the third. Our server came over in a couple minutes and said that the other staff member had trashed that last plate, so would we mind waiting a bit, and the kitchen will replace that last plate with a fresh order. I won't expect that kind of service the next time, but we definitely are going back.Special Features: