MUD HEN TAVERN
742 N Highland Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90038Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
MUD HEN TAVERN
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mudhentavern.com/
- Phone: 3232030500x
- Hours of Operation:
ALL SEPTEMBER: LATE NIGHT BURGER & BEER BINGE:
$3 Burgers, Veggie Burgers and $3 Golden Road Tap Takeover 10pm-midnight see website for details
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
For Parties of 6 or more, please call the restaurant for reservations
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub, International
- Executive Chef: Susan Feniger / Kajsa Alger
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From office meetings to private dinner parties, STREET catering offers the same uniquely high quality food and service as we bring to you in our restaurant. For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . We look forward to helping you create a fantastic event
- Private Party Facilities: The upstairs mezzanine at MUDHEN TAVERN is perfect for an intimate, semi-private gathering of up to 14 seated and 20 standing. Cocktails and appetizers, Champagne and dumplings, a candlelit sit down dinner, whatever your desire we can make it happen. We are also happy to discuss the rental of part or all of our downstairs dining room and/or patio areas. Come to us with your ideas and we will go from there!
- Private Party Contact: Shireen Saugen 3232030500x
A word from MUD HEN TAVERN
MUD HEN TAVERN's food, drinks and inviting atmosphere offers an affordable dining experience for the area. Susan and Executive Chef/Partner Kajsa Alger serve up a wide variety of rustic dishes and bar food, with the occasional global inflections that these beloved chefs naturally bring to the table. The bar team, driven by mixology consultant Tricia Carr (formerly Alley), has curated a beverage program that offers a vibrant and accessible selection of international wines, local craft beers and artisanal cocktails that complement Mud Hen Tavern’s cuisine. The refurbished space includes plenty of booths and communal tables, as well as an expanded bar with a draft beer system, all in the front room to allow patrons to easily walk in for drinks or dinner. The outdoor patio offers a more relaxing atmosphere for reservations, larger groups and private events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
MUD HEN TAVERN - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
MUD HEN TAVERN reviews from OpenTable diners
168 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (112)great for outdoor dining (110)neighborhood gem (92)great for brunch (64)good for groups (56)hot spot (38)special occasion (33)vibrant bar scene (33)late-night find (31)great for lunch (23)romantic (19)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Food that is tasty and fun1hipchickkDined on 8/29/2014Every dish is delicious and often surprising. This is a great place for a food adventure. Don't miss the flatbread!Special Features:
- Some really great & original foodBigPhilipDined on 8/27/2014Loved the starters - all great. my partners especially enjoyed the chicken waffles appetizer - sweet - but he would eat them as a whole meal!! Lamb balls also great. loved my trout for main course - very tasty - with great accompaniments.Special Features:
- Can't Wait to ReturnsherpaVIPDined on 8/24/2014Looking for Street, we stumbled upon its successor, Mud Hen Tavern. Everything about it was wonderful; can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Decent but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014The night started out good, the place is cute in a gastropub type of way. The staff is very friendly. The vibe is good, but the food is just average and for the price...not worth it. The Brisket was particularly bad (fatty).Special Features:
- Last minute choiceMarkAMDined on 8/22/2014I was bouncing around some ideas for where to go and picked this at the last minute. Reservations were quick and simple (and recommended later in the evening on Friday night). The waitstaff was great. There when you needed them, not there when you didn't. They seemed to know when to make an appearance. The food was eclectic and really good, but a touch pricey. All in all a great experience.Special Features:
- kt44didDined on 8/16/2014Brisket hash was delicious but the jalapeño waffle already came with the syrup on top which made it really soggy.
- Friendly Neighborhood TavernEatsOutAlotVIPDined on 8/15/2014If you're looking for a hip bar scene with excellent food and a really, really friendly atmosphere Mud Hen Tavern on Highland Ave. just north of Melrose in Hollywood is the perfect spot. Without being terribly expensive my wife and I found the menu more than interesting with the Kaya Toast (egg and coconut jam on toast) exceptional. Add the Saki fries and you have an interesting, tasty treat. We've visited several times and have tried the Tuna Ceviche and the Lamb Meatballs, both also delicious. This is a hip, warm and friendly place to eat or just hang out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UNIQUE, GOOD FOODmattyboy116Dined on 8/14/2014Great for brunch AND dinner - a small menu but it incorporates really unique dishes that taste great!Special Features:
- Love MUD HENSCP2013VIPDined on 8/12/2014Its our regular place to go and I love taking our friends the fig pizza is out of this world and of course my husband loves the chicken and waffles. Thanks for a fabulous dinner and FYI the lemon dessert was so good!!!Special Features:
- Deliciousness!GuinevereDined on 8/9/2014MudHen's menu is unique yet somehow manages not to feel pretentious. The cocktails are out of this world, and ingredients in everything are super fresh and delicious. It can get a bit loud in the back garden when it is crowded. Maybe not the best place for two people who want to chat to go to on a Saturday for brunch - but its a favorite and I will be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2014Friendly staff. Creative cocktails. Fresh ingredients. Good for vegans/vegetarians as well as meat eaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food Find!FoodiefamilyDined on 8/2/2014The food is amazingly delicious and inspired and the service is excellent and friendly!Special Features:
- Never disappontingLove2eatDined on 7/30/2014I've been to the mud hen tavern twice now. The first time I went was with my mom when she came to visit LA. She was super excited about the restaurant and loved the ambiance. The food was amazing and our waiter was very friendly. I also went to the mud hen last week with a friend and we had a great experience as well. My friend loved the food and even said that everything looked so good that she would have to come back again. :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotVegGuyDined on 7/30/2014Great food, pub food with flair. Had a variety of things, from Sake Sweet Potato fries to Pizza with vegan cheese, all items were super tasty. Presentation was good, and service was great. Susan came out to our party and was nice enough to talk to us for a bit, and take a pick. Highly recommend for those looking for non-pretentious good food that has that something extra. Great Vegetarian/Vegan options too, so you everyone can enjoy.Special Features:
- Romance with food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014This is a great place to enjoy delicious food and not feel guilty about it! The price, service, ambiance, and everything adds to the value of dinning here. I just love it. My girlfriends loved it too, when I took them there.Special Features:
- ShockingArlbschDined on 7/26/2014I was surprised as to how no good it was. Seemed like the food should be good, the quality was there, but the dishes did not taste good had the dinela mealSpecial Features:
- Just great foodLALuluDined on 7/26/2014I hate brussels sprouts. But not here. Not that they were on the menu this time of year. Mud Hen Tavern is a taste delight. It's really fun if everyone in your party gets different things and shares. Like tapas, but not.Special Features:
- Gastropub Grub in HollywoodDTD99VIPDined on 7/26/2014We had a nice brunch during DineLA restaurant week. Got a little hot out on the patio though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheDailyCraveDined on 7/26/2014Sweltering heat on the outdoor patio so would highly recommend the venue install some sort of ceiling fans or misters if they continue to offer outdoor brunch in the Summertime. Bottomless cocktails are a good deal but food was surprisingly lackluster. Enjoyed the menu much more so when this was 'Street'.
- Favorite Neighborhood HauntFoodieHomeGirlDined on 7/23/2014Hip, friendly, fabulous food, and reasonably prices - what's not to love?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates way too smallbebeDined on 7/21/2014I've been here before when it was street. I wanted to try it again to see how it has changed. There were four of us and we were told the dine la had to be bought by all of us and selections were too limited so we're ordered off the main menu. I also was hoping to order off happy hour menu but we had to be in the bar and the largest table available was for 3 in there. The small plates were so small it was really just one bite of most things.we did order a drink each but we left paying a $165 bill and were still hungry. If you want to get full maybe eat off the entree list. The sharing small plates like we used to do left us dissatisfied. The food was just ok.the best thing was the kaya toast. The rest was forgettable. It used to be better.Special Features:
- Usually love it...geeeDined on 7/20/2014This was my 5 th visit and it was pretty disappointing. I ordered the brisket.. It was melt in your mouth BUT half of it was fat. When I pointed that out to the waiter he just asked if he could wrap up the side dish that was left, for me to take home. Also, the service was not up to par. We waited almost 20 minutes for him to bring our check. My friend had a pasta dish which she said was just OK All in all I still like this restaurant but I will have a hard time getting my friend back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too hotstarlaDined on 7/20/2014and i mean literally. when the sun hit the awnings on the outdoor patio the whole place heated up so fast and made it uncomfortable to sit. we loved the food, although the hash was bordering on too salty (and i love salt). the drinks were delightful (strawberry, rhubarb and cava) the pancakes delicious, if not a little skimpy in the serving. our waitress, who was lovely, had a dirty white shirt on (kinda turned me off) and our silver was dirty. will i try it again, maybe. i am a long time fan of the owner, but...Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2014Food was not what I expected. Very bland. I loved Street and am find of Border Grill but was really disappointed in this meal.
- Beautiful Patio and Delicious Foodzeke00Dined on 7/19/2014Very interesting and delicious menu. It was a beautiful patio. I would recommend it for brunch, friends, family, etc...Special Features:
- This place is GREATOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Went to the MHT after hearing a review on the Fork Report some time ago. The food lived up to and far exceeded our expectations and was absolutely Delicious!! My wife and I shared the CHICKEN & WAFFLE CROQUETTES, SPINACH POTATO PIEROGI, FISH AND CHIPS, AND WHISKEY MAPLE BARBECUE BRISKET. We can not wait to go back!Special Features:
- YumyummyDined on 7/16/2014We had a bunch of small plates and everything was delicious: chicken and waffle croquets were the highlight, but we also loved the cauliflower, the deviled eggs, the kaya toast, the onion rings and the lemon merengue dessert. It was a decadent way to celebrate a birthday!Special Features:
- Dont sit outside!SerialChemistDined on 7/13/2014I've been to Mud Hen Tavern twice recently and had two totally different experiences. Both times, the food was amazing. Don't pass on the toast! The coffee and marmalade toast is my absolute favorite. My medium rare burger didn't have a bit of pink. It was solidly overcooked to a "well done" state. The last time we were sat outside and spent the entire meal trying to keep flies off of our food. It was disgusting out there! Easily, there were dozens of flies attacking every diner. Stare at a table for longer than 2 minutes and you'd at least one hand swat! I got an apology over twitter, but no word that they've actually done anything to stop the flies. This place is good, but *if* I go back, I'll never sit outside again.Special Features:
- Insanely delicious!!FinfamDined on 7/4/2014Mud Hen Tavern has phenomenally delicious food, wonderful waiters and it's just a great time!! Loved the chicken and waffle croquettes and the beer batter onion rings. The cinnamon roll bread pudding is obscenely wonderful.Special Features:
- YUMMY!AndreaVIPDined on 7/4/2014Very enjoyable evening. Loved the small plates and wished we were dining with a larger group so I could try more dishes. The broccoli is delicious. I don't live close by, but if I did, this would be a regular spot. But, when nearby again, we'll definitely try it again. It was quiet outside on the lovely patio. The service was also quite good .... thanks for a great meal!Special Features:
- Great Way to Spend the 4th!MarkBDined on 7/4/2014Got an e-mail offering a 4th of July special and am I so glad we went! Got a free draft beer because I wore my bathing suit in keeping with the theme of the night. Plus, $10 cheese burgers with a side of sweet potato fries for $3 (delicious) and a $5 Bloody Mary for my wife (also great). I would do that again just about every night of the week. Thanks for the beer, Susan! You rock!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for SharingAlwaysEatingDined on 6/29/2014Delicious food. Great for snacks and small plates. Try the chicken and waffles dish, lamb meatballs and the deviled eggs -- yum. Nice selection of beer and vino. I also had a pasta main which was good but not nearly as tasty and exciting as the starters. Decent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingdisappointedfoodieDined on 6/29/2014It was uncomfortably hot on the patio, which might have been improved by the addition of fans or the like. Fans might also have discour as he'd the multitude of flies that swarmed about, making our meal inedible. The KayaToast was yummy, but its presentation was sloppy. Breakfast burritos were fine, the watercress salad was way overdressed and the seeds tasted stale and.burnt. The brisket hash was run through the deflavorizing machine. We loved Street but won't be back anytime soon. Sad.
- Formerly StreetswssDined on 6/28/2014This place is great..... with some of the items from the Street menu. Addition to the expanded menu and bar this place is still awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun night out with a girlfriendMerBearDined on 6/20/2014Had a great experience. The food was delicious and there was a really good variety. The outside patio was nice and fun, although a little bit of a tight squeeze. The service was great. Perfect for a date, or a night out with friends. I would definitely go back and recommend it to other people.Special Features:
- fun patioDeenDeenVIPDined on 6/20/2014fun place to come after work for a meal and cocktail. Nice staff, good food. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun stop for beer & burgershobbesLAVIPDined on 6/20/2014This is a great neighborhood stop for an easy and tasty dinner. Nice beer selection, good cocktails and a fun atmosphere that brings in a great crowd.Special Features:
- Simply the best!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/20/2014What an incredible dinning experience we had! This was our second time since Street morphed into Mud Hen Tavern. We didn't think Susan could top Street but her new menu is an absolute gastronomical experience. We especially like the ceviche and the Kaya toast. Everything was cooked to perfection, full of flavors without overwhelming the palate. It's our new destination whenever we come to L.A.Special Features:
- Great place with super foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/18/2014We really enjoyed the food and ambience. The chef greeted us and the staff were all excellent. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding experienceJoelDined on 6/16/2014Mud Hen Tavern is one og our favorite dining spots of all time. Food and service are exceptional. Great value on all counts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.