MUD HEN TAVERN
742 N Highland Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90038Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
MUD HEN TAVERN
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mudhentavern.com/
- Phone: (323) 203-0500
- Hours of Operation:
ALL SEPTEMBER: LATE NIGHT BURGER & BEER BINGE:
$3 Burgers, Veggie Burgers and $3 Golden Road Tap Takeover 10pm-midnight see website for details
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
For Parties of 6 or more, please call the restaurant for reservations
NFL package- we play ALL THE GAMES
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub, International
- Executive Chef: Susan Feniger / Kajsa Alger
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From office meetings to private dinner parties, STREET catering offers the same uniquely high quality food and service as we bring to you in our restaurant. For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . We look forward to helping you create a fantastic event
- Private Party Facilities: The upstairs mezzanine at MUDHEN TAVERN is perfect for an intimate, semi-private gathering of up to 14 seated and 20 standing. Cocktails and appetizers, Champagne and dumplings, a candlelit sit down dinner, whatever your desire we can make it happen. We are also happy to discuss the rental of part or all of our downstairs dining room and/or patio areas. Come to us with your ideas and we will go from there!
- Private Party Contact: Shireen Saugen 3232030500x
A word from MUD HEN TAVERN
MUD HEN TAVERN's food, drinks and inviting atmosphere offers an affordable dining experience for the area. Susan and Executive Chef/Partner Kajsa Alger serve up a wide variety of rustic dishes and bar food, with the occasional global inflections that these beloved chefs naturally bring to the table. The bar team, driven by mixology consultant Tricia Carr, has curated a beverage program that offers a vibrant and accessible selection of international wines, local craft beers and artisanal cocktails that complement Mud Hen Tavern’s cuisine. The refurbished space includes plenty of booths and communal tables, as well as an expanded bar with a draft beer system, all in the front room to allow patrons to easily walk in for drinks or dinner. The outdoor patio offers a more relaxing atmosphere for reservations, larger groups and private events.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
MUD HEN TAVERN - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
MUD HEN TAVERN reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (97)neighborhood gem (75)great for outdoor dining (73)good for groups (53)hot spot (39)late-night find (33)great for brunch (32)vibrant bar scene (27)special occasion (18)great for lunch (13)romantic (13)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Great PlaceJawgirl17Dined on 11/15/2014Four us dined there recently and each of us loved what we ordered.....lamb meatballs, fish and chips, split pea soup, pumpkin poblano ravioli, homemade sausage plate, pizza with lamb sausage. The Caesar salad could have been better. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood JointKD14Dined on 11/9/2014The menu is limited, but thoughtful. Items will cover whatever food group mood you might be in. Nice vibe in the bar area with communal tables and booths. We were able to keep a casual eye on Sunday Night football which beamed from a few strategically placed screens. We're coming back and telling our pals in the hood to come too. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I should eavesdrop more oftenBelgianDudeDined on 11/7/2014I actually overheard a lady recommending the Mud Hen Tavern to a group of Norwegian tourists and decided to try it out for myself. It goes without saying that I was very pleasantly surprised. I would probably have never found this little gem on my first stay in LA and to be owned by an American chef, restaurateur, cookbook author, and radio and TV personality at that! The waitress did an excellent job of suggesting which plates to order. I was stuffed after the second plate so I will definitly have to come back to try out more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spot with yummy food!foodieccDined on 11/5/2014Great neighborhood spot! Loved the drink called "43 Bucks" made with homemade ginger ale and vodka! We like to do some of the small plates and share a couple of entree. Awesome French fries! Music gets louder as evening progresses so it's fun but you need to sit close if you want to whisper sweet nothings...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the chicken and wafflesSCP2013VIPDined on 10/30/2014thank you for a delicious dinner we love the chicken and waffles and the onion rings and the lemon dessert is SO GOODSpecial Features:
- Something for everyonemsmcdowallVIPDined on 10/26/2014This is where we come to dinner when we have a group that isn't easy to please. The service and food are excellent. The cocktails are as well. They will make pizza without the basil for the kids, and have vegetarian options. Eating tapa style is a great way to go here but the burgers and fries are really tasty too.Special Features:
- Great food, great restaurantGeobad11VIPDined on 10/24/2014The food was amazing. We started with the kaya toast which is my fav. Rhe pizza and fish & chips were really good. The service was amazing. The fish & chips were slightly over-cooked, though still really good and because of that, the waiter gave us a free earl grey custard dessert with salted caramel...amazing. Overall, a superb restaurant with very good food and service. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EmbarrassingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/19/2014Been dining here for years, even before it was Mud Hen. Always a great food experience. Thought I'd bring a friend for lunch. The three entrees she could eat were all out. I was so embarrassed that I asked her if she wanted to leave and go elsewhere. She ended up ordering the BLT without bacon, since she doesn't eat meat. She asked for the fries without garlic. Waiter said it was no problem. I ordered a few small plates for myself. ALL of my food came out first. Hers arrived 20+ minutes after mine and the fries had garlic! When it finally came, she asked for salt and pepper. The pepper mill they gave us was EMPTY and we were told they ran out of peppercorns so they gave us a bowl if pepper. What a great first impression for my friend.Special Features:
- Needs more servers on the weekend!KittyCaliVIPDined on 10/19/2014Service was excruciatingly slow during our Sunday brunch visit. There was a football game on, but I don't know if that was a significant contributor to the place being full. We had to wait 30 minutes for a table, despite our reservation, and it was at least another 10 minutes before a server even came to our table after we were seated. All told, lunch took 2.5 hours due to the slow kitchen and slow service. Our server was trying her best, but she had too many tables and not enough help.Special Features:
- Gemsandy30Dined on 10/18/2014Mud Hen Tavern is a neighborhood gem! The ambiance is great, the decor is awesome and the food is excellent. Do not forget to order the Kaya Toast it is unbelievable!!! I highly recommend this restaurant for weekend brunch because of the extensive menu options and outdoor area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!terilynnVIPDined on 10/18/2014Love the outdoor patio and the food was really good! We are vegetarian and the cauliflower, sweet potato fries and veggie burgers were all really flavorful and interesting with exciting seasonings! Location not in our neighborhood but next time we wanna go to Hollywood this is a great choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did Not Live Up to Expectations!FoodLoverDined on 10/14/2014Kaya Toast was delicious. Chicken & Waffle Croquettes were forgettable. Lamb Meatballs were acceptable. Rainbow Trout was delicious, however, you could not cut through the vegetables on both orders. Pan Seared Skirt Steak was ordered medium rare but was tough, the parsnip mashed potatoes were lumpy yet over mashed; the grilled rapini was not edible, it was bitter and everyone made the same sour face that tasted this vegetable. The lemon meringue custard was delicious, the chocolate layer cake was filled with too much butter cream and although everyone at this table loved desserts, 7/8 of this cake was left at the end of the meal. Overall, we expected much more from this restaurant, obviously the head chef was not in the house.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014Brandon was very attentive and the food was excellent. Nice ambiance and well lit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!mfxdaleyDined on 10/5/2014Everything we tried off the most eclectic pub menu I've seen was fantastic. And the place has a great atmosphere. We loved our waiter but the other nearby waiter was careful to ignore us when we needed something. But otherwise a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Went with a group from work and we had a blast. The service and food were both really good!Special Features:
- Amazing!bryanDined on 9/28/2014Great, helpful and attentive service with really good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingSausulesDined on 9/27/2014My wife wanted to try something from one of the chefs she has enjoyed on television. This chef also owns the Border Grill in Santa Monica, but we wanted to try something a little different while visiting the LA area. The outside of the restaurant is unassuming and easy to miss. Inside, the decor and the energy is great. Our server was very attentive, friendly, and excited about the restaurant and the food, which was infectious. Everything we had, from drinks to food, was delicious, with an inventive, street food vibe. Prices were very fair, especially for the quality of the food. My wife was especially thrilled when the chef stopped by our table and talked with us about our experience. She was very low key and easy going.Special Features:
- First time to the Hensandler01VIPDined on 9/24/2014My Wife and I had a wonderful time and the food was fun and easy to sit and enjoy. Staff was very friendly and made sure we enjoying our meal. Fun time and very lay back feel. Looking forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- good spotfinerthingslaDined on 9/21/2014This place was good, a few dishes were not great (the waffle for one...) but everything was pretty good. We went because we thought it was a seahwaks bar from previous social media we'd seen, but the waiter seemed to think otherwise. A few hawks fans trickled in, but we definitely were the loudest ones there. Maybe a bit nice for that sort of debauchery... service improved over course of visit (mostly because they kept the mimosas flowing.)Special Features:
- A nice innovationSandyrkVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had been to Street, and didn't really love it. This is a great improvement! The food is interesting, varied, and the service was very pleasant. The small plates were nicely spiced. Particularly liked the summer corn dish, the tuna ceviche, and the flat bread. Four of us shared eight small plates, and none of them were misses. A really nice evening!Special Features:
- Must Try!SmFoodieDined on 9/20/2014Good variety of small plates reasonably priced. Especially good the tuna ceviche and the pumpkin raviolis. The lemon meringue custard dessert was also delicious. Outside patio is charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even better then The StreetDisappointedDinerVIPDined on 9/17/2014Susan Fenigar has done it again! I know I'm 8 months late to the party, but I think it's very possibly that the chef has topped The Street with Mud Hen. The menu is simply amazing!!!! The service is amazing with Fenigar often going around personally to check on each table. It's simply an amazing place to patronize. Can't recommend it highly enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mud Hen Rocks!LoopsVIPDined on 9/17/2014Started with the Denogginzer, Drakes, Imperial IPA and a delicious cocktail, the Cynar Swizzle, as we devoured the always incredible Kaya Toast. Next a flavorful, delicious flatbread, then the Spinach Potato Pierogi, the awesome garlic french fries, crisp and hot with a dipping sauce. The crispy pork belly had a most amazing sauce, miso butterscotch served with Japanese eggplant. The preparation of the white asparagus was inspirational: oven roasted with pistachio, lemon and opal basil. We finished with the wonderful lemon meringue custard. Derek our waiter was incredible as well We had been to Street a dozen times and this is a wonderful hybrid and addition to the Hollywood restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid food and experienceswim2kkVIPDined on 9/13/2014All of the items we ordered were quite tasty. The service was very good, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointedDissapointedDined on 9/12/2014We tried dinner for the first time. My wife was there previously and had a fantastic brunch. As for dinner, I had high hopes for the house special burger, being $16 without fries and being a gastropub. The burger was just not tasty nor juicy dispite being orium rare. We also had the pumpkin truffle ravioli and 2 out of our group of 4 agreed that it had a bad aftertaste. I may consider trying the brunch but won't be back for dinner.
- Love the chicken and wafflesSCP2013VIPDined on 9/5/2014We are regulars and the food and service never disappoints we love itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and proudGhostDined on 9/4/2014The concrete floor and wood walls make this place an echo cavern for conversation and nostalgic 80's new romantic music. The food is presented farm to table and is bright and colorful. But every dish had a little something off, as if it were a game to discover the mystery spice or season that does not belong. Lastly, for a proud veggie restaurant, I laughed out loud when there was only one salad to be found on the menu and few veggie sides. Though I love Susan's complexity, a few simple items on the menu would be nice to provide safe harbor from the adventure of the other courses.Special Features:
- upscale pub environmentPackersFanDined on 9/4/2014We used to go here when it was Street. They've kept our favorite kaya toast (ridic!) and excellent burgers on the menu. We went with our tween kids for burgers and to watch the Packers game. They aspire to be a sports destination but need a few more well placed TVs for it to be ideal. That said, we had good a view of the game, volume levels were good but not overwhelming. There's an excellent selection of craft beers on tap and delicious custom cocktails. The chef came over to chat and when she found out we liked whiskey, surprised us with an Old Maple to try. So good. If you like an old-fashioned you'll love this. We left with full bellies and happiness from rediscovering one of our favorite neighborhood joints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Funky Farm FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Yummy. The food is like eating at your funky Aunts Organic farm where she's secretly an amazing chef that cooks for the president. Unassuming restaurant from the front, but opens up to a neighborhood gem. Great smells. Amazing deviled eggs. Great stuffed hash browns with sous vide eggs. The burger with fried egg is juicy and off the charts. The homemade chips....! If your are into bottomless mimosas you've found the mother ship. Lots of different purees for the champagne. Service was A+.Special Features:
- Food that is tasty and fun1hipchickkDined on 8/29/2014Every dish is delicious and often surprising. This is a great place for a food adventure. Don't miss the flatbread!Special Features:
- Some really great & original foodBigPhilipDined on 8/27/2014Loved the starters - all great. my partners especially enjoyed the chicken waffles appetizer - sweet - but he would eat them as a whole meal!! Lamb balls also great. loved my trout for main course - very tasty - with great accompaniments.Special Features:
- Can't Wait to ReturnsherpaVIPDined on 8/24/2014Looking for Street, we stumbled upon its successor, Mud Hen Tavern. Everything about it was wonderful; can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Decent but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014The night started out good, the place is cute in a gastropub type of way. The staff is very friendly. The vibe is good, but the food is just average and for the price...not worth it. The Brisket was particularly bad (fatty).Special Features:
- Last minute choiceMarkAMDined on 8/22/2014I was bouncing around some ideas for where to go and picked this at the last minute. Reservations were quick and simple (and recommended later in the evening on Friday night). The waitstaff was great. There when you needed them, not there when you didn't. They seemed to know when to make an appearance. The food was eclectic and really good, but a touch pricey. All in all a great experience.Special Features:
- kt44didDined on 8/16/2014Brisket hash was delicious but the jalapeño waffle already came with the syrup on top which made it really soggy.
- Friendly Neighborhood TavernEatsOutAlotVIPDined on 8/15/2014If you're looking for a hip bar scene with excellent food and a really, really friendly atmosphere Mud Hen Tavern on Highland Ave. just north of Melrose in Hollywood is the perfect spot. Without being terribly expensive my wife and I found the menu more than interesting with the Kaya Toast (egg and coconut jam on toast) exceptional. Add the Saki fries and you have an interesting, tasty treat. We've visited several times and have tried the Tuna Ceviche and the Lamb Meatballs, both also delicious. This is a hip, warm and friendly place to eat or just hang out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UNIQUE, GOOD FOODmattyboy116Dined on 8/14/2014Great for brunch AND dinner - a small menu but it incorporates really unique dishes that taste great!Special Features:
- Love MUD HENSCP2013VIPDined on 8/12/2014Its our regular place to go and I love taking our friends the fig pizza is out of this world and of course my husband loves the chicken and waffles. Thanks for a fabulous dinner and FYI the lemon dessert was so good!!!Special Features:
- Deliciousness!GuinevereDined on 8/9/2014MudHen's menu is unique yet somehow manages not to feel pretentious. The cocktails are out of this world, and ingredients in everything are super fresh and delicious. It can get a bit loud in the back garden when it is crowded. Maybe not the best place for two people who want to chat to go to on a Saturday for brunch - but its a favorite and I will be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/7/2014Friendly staff. Creative cocktails. Fresh ingredients. Good for vegans/vegetarians as well as meat eaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.