Mrs. Murphy & Sons Irish Bistro
3905 N Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60613Neighborhood:
IrishPrice: $30 and under
Mrs. Murphy & Sons Irish Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.irishbistro.com/
- Phone: (773) 248-3905
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Weekend Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Irish, British
- Executive Chef: Jeanne Carlson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: n/a
- Private Party Facilities: If it's important in your life, you can celebrate it at Mrs. Murphy & Sons Irish Bistro. Whether it's a wedding for over a hundred to a small, intimate gathering, we can customize the perfect event for you.
- Private Party Contact: Jaime Jennings 7732483905x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz on Wednesday nights with the Lee Rothenberg Trio.
- Special Events: We offer a full range of options for any kind of event from fundraiser to theater group reading, condo association meeting to special presentations. Please contact our event planner or see our website for more details.
A word from Mrs. Murphy & Sons Irish Bistro
It is perhaps fitting that the Murphy family motto is "Fortis et Hospitable" which, roughly translated, means brave and hospitable. The process of building a 200 seat contemporary Irish restaurant in a run down, 1920's former funeral home has been a project of epic proportions; definitely not a journey for the faint-hearted. The brainchild of Jim Murphy who, prior to his death early in 2003, had dreamed of bringing a contemporary twist to Irish cuisine in Chicago. Already the owner of the very popular Wrigleyville bar, Murphy's Bleachers, he felt that fine dining had yet to make its debut in his hometown. The building's structure has been painstakingly renovated by Joe Zapora, with many of the best of the original features being preserved. Artisans and craftspeople alike have been involved with the project, blending modern elements with the old to create a warm, inviting and unique environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mrs. Murphy & Sons Irish Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (15)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (8)special occasion (6)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (4)fit for foodies (4)romantic (4)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Easy, delicious, charmingBethKDDined on 11/2/2014We picked this place because of the location, and the fact that it had its own parking lot. We'll be going back because the food was awesome, the Bloody Murphy was one of the best Bloody Marys I've had in Chicago, and the vibe was great-- seating for a big group was easy, the music wasn't too loud, it had charming atmosphere. Food service was slow, but drinks came out fast and servers were nice. Overall, total WIN!Special Features:
- Good overallSuzanneSDined on 11/1/2014We are regulars at Mrs Murphy's & Sons - we usually go in for weeknight dinner and found the atmosphere to be much more energetic Saturday night- which was overall a good thing. The waitress was fairly attentive, almost to the point of being too attentive- same with the busboy. We felt a little bit rushed which was maybe a reflection on how busy they were, but it was not nearly as relaxing as we have experienced in the past. We'll still be back! We do love it there!Special Features:
- Pub with excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2014Stopped here for brunch and was blown away. This is not your usual pub comfort food. Well, it is, but so much better. The Guinness mac & cheese is awesome, though a little heavy on the breadcrumbs. Omelette was excellent. Nice layout and I can't wait to come back during the evening for a nice pint.Special Features:
- Overall, it's just an ok placebbqexpertDined on 10/4/2014Having tried their ribs at rib fest this summer, I could not wait to have them again. At Rib Fest, these were the best ribs my bf and I have ever tasted and we are regulars at many other Chicago BBQ places. So needless to say expectations were high based on our past experience. I decided to order the homemade root beer, let me just say, DON'T DO IT! I guess, I should have read the description more clearly but this root beer tasted nothing like what root bear tastes like. I'm assuming it was the addition of sassafras to the typical vanilla soda but it was horrible and $4. The mussels were just average and the ribs were severely disappointing.They tasted nothing like we remembered. They were tender but nothing special.
- Fantastic foodbella290Dined on 9/13/2014My husband and I love this place, but we are biased because we got married here. This weekend, there was a larger group next to our table, but our server still gave us great service. The food, as always, was amazing and was served quickly. It's not the best setting for a quiet dinner, but we still had a great experience.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem that never lets me down!BSpillnerVIPDined on 8/17/2014I've been here a number of times over the years and have never been disappointed. The place is really big on the inside which is surprising each time I step in. This visit I was there for brunch with my wife. We both had omelets, Irish Meats and Oscar Wilde. Both were very good portions for the cost and delicious. I also had a side of mashed potates with the mushroom gravy that was so good. I would have the gravy each time I go back now. The hidden part of the Bistro is they have a good rotating beer list. I didn't have any this visit but I typically do when I'm there for dinner. Always a 3 Floyds on tap and other local breweries are show cased.Special Features:
- Mrs. M's, go there's plenty of roomDiningDorsVIPDined on 8/16/2014First people at brunch, service was great. Reuben=real corn beef, chips homemade=yum; corn beef hash=yum. Big place, tons of space for a big party. Cute free phone booth library. Had a nice time but not "hopping" early if you are looking to talk to othersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste of Ireland in ChicagofoodieDined on 8/12/2014A friend and I came here for the storytelling show, and decided to grab dinner first. He had a burger and a literal mountain of fries - he couldn't finish them all, and I had the mussels (which I'd been craving) They were out of this world, and if I could have lifted the skillet, I would have drank the garlic-wine sauce straight. I also had the mac and cheese - I'd kill for the recipe. We're coming back every month for storytelling - and that mac and cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 297 reviews are from the Mrs. Murphy & Sons Irish Bistro reviews archive.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Our Server, Mary, was wonderful! Very knowledgeable about the menu and the drink listings - made great recommendations, too! Food was hot and presentation was lovely. It's a favorite already!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- abbyDined on 6/14/2014ribs, beer list & cheesecake all A #1. Like General MacArthur; we shall return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service felt surprisingly slowDekinNorthCenterDined on 6/8/2014This was by no means my first time at Mrs Murphys and I really think it's one of the best restaurants in North Center but this was the first time the service was sub-par. It may have been because of the Rib Fest spillover but the restaurant overall seemed pretty empty and quiet. Our server was very helpful when he was around but there would be long gaps between seeing him. And it always feels a little "off" when the table next to was seated 15mins after you got there and they got their entrees before we got our app. While it most likely wasn't enough to deter me from coming back, if that was my first time there, it would've been a bit off-putting. Food was ridiculous as always :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place needs is a proper chefbaldscottVIPDined on 6/1/2014Great local location and the space looks good. The menu is reasonable, but it's hampered by the kitchen. We had problems with 3 out of 4 of our plates. It indicates to me that the kitchen is either not well trained or doesn't care. Two of us ordered of fish and chips and it had too much breading. The fish itself tasted good, but was ruined by the thick breading. One of us ordered the salmon salad, and found much of the fish to be raw like a rare steak. The salmon salad would have been good, save the preparation error. My wife had the ribs and she didn't have any issues, other than average flavor. This could have been a reasonable dinner for all if the kitchen would have done a better job preparing it.
- What a Gem! Great for Brunch!Beelov3dDined on 5/25/2014If you're looking for a great brunch spot that has the service, value, great food with no fillers, this is it. Often I dine in at places who's reviews focus on the decor - but honestly I love great tasting food, value, & service beyond everything else! The place is has a fantastic laid back staff - kind & attentive! I highly recommend sitting at the bar for your meal. It's the perfect size, the stout is tasty, the Bloody Mary (made with their own stout beer) is AMAZING, & the small talk with the bartenders is always pleasant! I tried their Curry Omelette and short stack Oatmeal pancakes and OMG, fresh greens & the pancakes are amazing!!! You'll notice the huge portions, but my favorite was the orange marmalade served up w/them! Delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Iris Ribs?!!!!SpriteyDined on 5/10/2014Never thought about ribs being Irish....incredible! My friends really liked their martinis...and the seafood stew...will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful for groupsChicagoDaveDined on 5/3/2014the perfect place to take friends to chat and enjoy each others company. This is a neighborhood bar and restaurant that serves an upper end bar food menu. The corned beef, and mussels are outstanding, jsut to name 2, and each salad I have had is delicious. This is not our 1st trip here and it will not be our last either.Special Features:
- Easter brunchTJ130Dined on 4/20/2014I met some friends here for Easter brunch. I appreciated that the restaurant took reservations on such a traditionally busy day. The brunch buffet was a bit pricey, but had a good mix of different foods. Our server was really friendly and attentive. Overall a lovely experience.Special Features:
- Mrs. Murphy & Sons providedeata7otVIPDined on 4/6/2014Mrs. Murphy & Sons provided an excellent dining experience in all ways -- food, service, ambiance, and easy parking. If I'm back in the neighborhood again (I live in another state, but was en route from O'Hare back home), I will definitely dine there again. Next time, I hope to experience the endless Mimosas for Sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than expectedChitownrefugeeDined on 3/29/2014We were a group of eight and the service was wonderful. The staff was friendly and efficient, splitting a couple of plates for us that made those diners feel like they were getting a full meal. The trout was superb and the salmon special was a highlight, moist and flavorfull. Even the chicken dish looked wonderful. One drawback was for our early dinner, 5:30, the sun was pretty intense streaming in through the windows at our front table, an awning, blinds, or shades would be a thoughtful addition to the space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy St Pat'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/17/2014I was pleased to get a reservation at an Irish themed restaurant on St. Pat's Day. The food was very good. We ate upstairs. Other than some piped in Irish music, the atmoshere was much like any other restaurant. The vibe downstairs might be more festive. Corned beef was flavorful and the red cabbage was particularly tasty vs. the traditional boiled green cabbage you might expect. The Shepherd's Pie was enough for 2 people. The Guiness Stew was delicious. The service was good, but I'd call it "relaxed". Our server was attentive, but she was also serving three groups of 6 or more people, plus three other tables. Some people might want faster service especially if you have some place to go.Special Features:
- Delicious!SamanthaDined on 3/17/2014My husband and I went to Mrs. Murphy & Sons on St. Patrick's Day for the corn beef and cabbage dinner. It was delicious! The corn beef and cabbage that I have eaten in the past, and that I have eaten since our visit, does not compare to the food we ordered at Mrs. Murphy & Sons. This was not our first visit to the restaurant. We loved it the first time, and we have never been disappointed with the food or the service. All around great place to have a meal. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St. Patty's Day!LadyLakeView55Dined on 3/17/2014Had a wonderful time and meal for St. Patty's Day. Enjoyed their Bloody Mary's, mussels, curry chips, French Onion style soup, and amazing corn beef. Best corn beef I have ever had. I will be back again for it all especially before it warms up to enjoy more soup and of course mussels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- St. Patrick's Feast and FunOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2014My friends and I were looking for a fun place to go for St. Patrick's Day that would have good food and a festive atmosphere without being too annoying, and Mrs. Murphy's was the perfect choice!! All of the staff I dealt with were cheerful and courteous, the food was delicious, and we even had Irish dancers as entertainment! It was a lovely afternoon, and I look forward to coming back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Irish fareKrisDined on 3/14/2014Food was delicious! Some strange seating decision by the hostess and the service was good until we asked our server to split the check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BruchKozEatsDined on 3/2/2014Very good food - $12 bottomless mimosa - perfect portions - very casual relaxed place for brunch - décor needs something, big room with little furnishings - but I come for food and it was good - we will be back...............Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great option for theater goers.dianeVIPDined on 2/22/2014Great option for theater goers. Totally enjoyed the food and the service was excellent. It was a little noisy in the dining room so we move to the bar and had a better experience. It was a little cold in the restaurant but when we mentioned it to the server he bumped up the thermostat. We will no doubt go back again when we are in the neighborhood and hopefully on a warmer day so that the temp will be a little warmer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They were very nice aboutDianeDined on 2/15/2014They were very nice about the fact that we got held up on the Kennedy Expressway and were late. While they have some Irish dishes, we would recommend the ribs, for which they have won prizes, and their cheeseburger with onion rings.Special Features:
- Great Valentine's Day DinnerBillDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I had a great Valentine's Day dinner at Mrs. Murphy and Son's Irish Bistro. We sat on the 2nd floor and it was a great romantic space, we had never been up there before. The food was very good and the service was very attentive. We will be back more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedJWilsonWDined on 2/14/2014I booked this place as a last-minute Valentine's Day dinner and was blown away by how nice it was. It was a little strange walking in, because the first thing you see is a bar. I thought to myself, "well, I guess we're having V-Day in a pub". Then the hostess brought us up to the dining room. It was beautiful, bright and colorful. No TVs around meant no distractions from my date. The food came out within 10 minutes of ordering (I'm guessing most items are pre-cooked earlier in the evening). Everything we had was delicious. I had the Corned Beef and my date had the Shepherd's Pie. Both tasted pretty amazing. Price was a little high but had a great time otherwise. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The most delicious cornedNoodlegravyDined on 2/7/2014The most delicious corned beef and cabbage on the planet. Actually, everything on the menu is outstanding. And the service is always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place for brunch!Laura312VIPDined on 1/26/2014Had delicious brunch here a couple weeks ago. Pancakes were amazing; my friend got the curry omelet and really liked it, too. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Too fast foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/10/2014This is the second time I've eaten at this restaurant and each time the food was brought to our table too quickly. We were barely able to finish one serving and the next serving came to our table.
- Delicious BrunchfugumushiVIPDined on 12/29/2013A focused & concise brunch menu filled with Irish traditional foods such as the irish fry up, but also includes some more interesting & delicious items such as banana french toast. Give the maple-glazed bacon a try. The menu is not extensive, but I enjoy not having a million foodie-enticing items, everything is good, simple, & delicious. The service is also quite excellent, the waitstaff are very knowledgeable & always friendly. The ambience is quiet, but it was snowing up a storm when I was here, so it may not be that way normally during brunch. I would definitely recommend to all my brunch-frequenting friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch with familyNorthcenterdinerVIPDined on 12/29/2013We went to Mrs. Murphy's for brunch with visiting family on Sunday. It's great they have a parking lot since we had older aunt/uncle with us and the menu has something for everyone. The service was great, all of the food was delicious (burgers, eggs, and sandwiches), and the pancakes for the kids were the best pancakes we've ever had. I'm not sure why it wasn't crowded (perhaps due to the big (and disappointing) Bears game later that day), but try it if you haven't gone. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hagan's OpinionLadyLakeView55Dined on 11/23/2013First time at Mrs. Murphy & Sons Irish Bistro..was just great. We did Brunch on Saturday and there food is just awesome. Had the onion soup which was really good and smoke salmon eggs Benedict....so good. Highly recommend and will be going back myself. Not sure why it took me so long to get there. Free parking down the street what else does one need. Great place you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service great, food too fastChicagovolgirlDined on 11/15/2013We like to relax on Friday nights and take a leisurely approach to dinner. Restaurant was great, food pretty good, but service was so speedy that we felt rushed. Food expensive for Irish food, very meat and potatoes. With so many other places to try, we likely won't return here.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperiencebmurfDined on 11/9/2013First time here....parking was fantastic because they have their own lot. Hard to find parking in the Lincoln Square area. The restaurant and bar have a great atmosphere and decor. The staff was friendly and our server was excellent. The food was superb. I had the oatmeal crusted rainbow trout which was very good. The Mac and cheese was some of the best I have ever had. Even the bread with bacon butter (yes, bacon butter!) was top notch. My girlfriend had a lamb, sausage soup and a side of veggies. Both were great. We were Ina bit of a hurry because we were out to see our friend's band play, or I would have liked to have tried dessert and/ hang out at the bar for a bit. Service was friendly and prompt. I will go again and bring friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved their brunchAAMI71VIPDined on 11/3/2013Great service. They kept the coffee coming. We particularly enjoyed the Irish Meats Omelet , Mrs. Murphy's Eggs Benedict (great corned beef) and the Irish Oatmeal Brûlée. If we hadn't had a long drive ahead of us, we would have tried the Breakfast Stout and Mrs. Murphy's Bloody Mary ... next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Local SpotNucdocDined on 10/27/2013This restaurant masquerades as a bar and it indeed has a very nice bar. The food however is well above average in the restaurant area. The menu changes seasonally but some staples such as Shepard's pie , Gusiness stew and gourmet Mac and Cheese are always there. Our party was five people each of whom ordered a different dish. The Gusiness based onion soup is a different version of onion soup, and is delicious. The soup of the day was a squash based soup and superb. The main courses were equally great. We did not order desert because no one felt they could eat anymore. However the desert menu look great. Service was attentive but not intrusive, but it was a quiet night with few diners. Overall an excellent dinner.Special Features:
- Had a great brunch last SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/27/2013Had a great brunch last Sunday and it was great. The Murphy's has benefit was delicious as was the Bloody Mary. Wait staff attended to us as needed - not there every moment asking how everything is which is never good. The building is a gem and I will definitely go back and have already suggested it to a friend of mine.Special Features:
- Great food!JoeODined on 10/11/2013What we love about Mrs. Murphy's is that it combines the look and feel of an Irish Pub with a more upscale food menu. You can get a burger there, but it's quite fabulous! There's always yummy specials, corned beef & cabbage, and many other choices. The service is great and we love the ambience as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.