10542 Jasper Ave
Edmonton, AB T5J 1Z7Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mrktcafeteria.com/
- Phone: 7807576758x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm.
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Carla Alexander
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from MRKT
MRKT is an eclectic restaurant serving rustic comfort food in the heart of downtown. At MRKT we pride ourselves on using fresh ingredients, naturally raised meats from local farms, and line caught fish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
MRKT reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)good for groups (13)neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (7)romantic (7)special occasion (7)notable wine list (7)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great musselseatlocalDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I make the MRKT a once a month visit. We typically order the mussels as they change how they are prepared which makes for a pleasant surprise.Special Features:
- DisapointedEdmstageVIPDined on 8/5/2014So this was by no means our first visit to MKRT but certainly our only visit that will make us re-think going back to MKRT. I ordered the short-ribs, which are the most amazing short-ribs I have ever eaten and are listed under the large plate category on the menu. My dinning partner order the MeatBalls, also listed under large plate... what came was extremely disappointing. The amount of food that came was closer to an appetizer or a teaser - my partner ended up having to add a small plate option just to have a reasonable amount of food. The meatballs were way over priced for what actually came and extremely poor quality. The flavor was nonexistence... nothing that was promised by the detailed description in the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeenjoyedmontonDined on 7/10/2014This was our first time enjoying MRKT. The food was delicious! We ordered a couple of appetizers, the goat chess and the bruschetta and licked the plates clean. The four of us each ordered separate entrees and all were excellent!Special Features:
- It was OkayCMH21Dined on 7/10/2014We went for my friends Birthday dinner,I made a reservation and specifically put in the reservation that it was her. There was no special attention for my friends birthday, until the end when there was a candle in the dessert but she never said anything. The food itself was average, we had the bruschetta it was ok, I had the garden salad and added the Beef Tenderloin, it had almost no dressing it, 4 pieces of tomato and some goats cheese and carrot for $16 this was not a $16 at all, the piece of Beef tastes BOILED, it was not grilled or pan roasted and was only 2 or 3 oz big. My friends enjoyed their meals they were small plates for the price you are paying. However their homemade virgin drinks and desserts are good.
- Quiet Early DinnerYEGfoodieVIPDined on 6/6/2014We had a lovely, early dinner at MRKT before heading to an event downtown. We were the only folks in the restaurant for the first 45 minutes or so after they opened, but there was no delay in getting delicious food and good service. The soup we had was fantastic, and the cheesy (but pleasantly spicy) cornbread was very comforting. The braised short ribs were fall-off-the-bone tender and were loaded with flavour; the creamy risotto and the fresh coleslaw were nice accompaniments.Special Features:
- Superb presentation and flavoursyokifoodDined on 6/3/2014Excellent cheese and charcuterie board ,amazing presentation and well thought out. Delicious cheese fondue,although slightly thin. Meatballs could be more flavoured with a bit more oomph ,ribs excellent ,tender and tasty. Lovely waitress ,looked after us so well (even when we spilt wine) .Brili lant wine list ,and a bonus to find out some of the wine is half priced on tuesday. We loved the chocolate bark .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeRobertoDined on 5/22/2014Always great food and good service. Love the short ribs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 113 reviews are from the MRKT reviews archive.
- Pretty goodbanjokazooieDined on 5/10/2014Overall, the food was good. The penne that I had was very tasty. Tuna salad was a bit bland. Pork shoulder was a little dry. Portions are on the small side.Special Features:
- Food was awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/1/2014Six of us for dinner,all had a variety & everyone was very pleased with their choice. Excellent selection of very tasty soups .Split a very delicious large salad (wonderful lemony dressing ..... & he thinks he doesn't like lemon )with my husband. Entrees were all excellent. No time for dessert for us. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You gotta eat here!clou66Dined on 4/26/2014Very vibrant atmosphere on a Saturday and not a bad dish to be had. Would recommend anyone looking for awesome food with a lively ambience to make this a definite stop for dinner. The only drawback is it's 2 1/2 ish hours from Calgary...but worth the drive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well hidden Edmonton hot spotarcticguyDined on 4/26/2014want top quality food and great service on Jasper, at a place where the line-ups across the street are too long, or reservations down the street not available? give MRKT a try - fresh, local, innovative, tasting plates available if you ask.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodNogoodDined on 4/26/2014I would not go there hungry. The food portions are vary small. After our $60 meal there we stoped at Mc Donnalds for burgers.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great RestaurantprariefoodloverDined on 4/22/2014I'd been to MRKT a couple of times before this - once for dinner and once for lunch. Both times, I had a terrific meal and good service. So, it seemed I was headed to the right place for dinner out for my husband's birthday. I was not disappointed! Brilliant food and service, and a lovely evening all round. Hats off to the folks at MRKT - you're doing it all right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great service.BernardDined on 4/19/2014Great place to gather with friends and talk. Good food, very well prepared and presented, with many shareable items. Something I like very much. Very very good service. Really impressed with our server, and it seemed like other diners were receiving the same. Solid wine list but as with many somewhat upper scale environments, grossly overpriced. Limited choice of beer, and for a place that looks like a pub, nothing on tap. 18% minimum tip is a bit much. Frankly I think (after many years in the industry) tipping should be up to the client. Will definitely gather a group of friends and go back.Special Features:
- Great ExpectationscanthonyDined on 4/18/2014I had high expectations for this restaurant, I really did. We started with the charcuterie plate for two... and came to the conclusion that almost everything on the platter could be found at our local grocery store. Our mains arrived promptly- mussels with a tomato and white wine broth and braised boneless beef ribs, coleslaw and tomato risotto. The beef was over braised- that is, it was tender but had passed the point of succulence and moved on towards the sawdust stage. The risotto had clearly been made long before- the rice had split and the desired al dente texture of the rice had long since disappeared. The coleslaw's texture was fantastic, but it needed both seasoning and acid. The mussels were, 'fishy but okay.' We passed on dessert.Special Features:
- The food was very tasty, butOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2014The food was very tasty, but the portions were small. We are small eaters. So even then, we found the portions too small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but a little loudhipsterhansenDined on 3/15/2014The food was delicious but several types of beer on the menu were not available (in transition to new brands). The restaurant was very noisy due to a private party of about 30 guests, so difficult to have conversation. Decor is interesting but a bit cold, and all of the wood contributes to noise as there is no baffling. Items to try: Prawns on sweet potato mash; corn bread; mussels. The oysters come in a can but do not be put off - they are delicious especially with the smoked gouda on toast. Scallops were good but not a large enough menu item to fill an average man...would need an additional dish.Special Features:
- Amazing! !OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/13/2014We came for a birthday dinner and it was really delicious. We ordered a lot of food and everything was beautifully plated. The portions aren't too big so you can share a few dishes without over eating. We ALL said "WOW!" after the first bite. If you haven't been, then you HAVE to go!!! YUM YUMMMMMMSpecial Features:
- Tasty Food and attentive ServiceSidneyDined on 3/12/2014Love your 1/2 price wine nights (Tue/Wed). My prawn dish was so flavourful and my wife enjoyed a tasty salad with free range chicken. The unfinished wine bottle was re-corked and looking forward to trying your lunch selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm Ambience on a Cold EveningeatingyegDined on 3/1/2014Sitting inside MRKT the other night, I imagined I was actually in a cool city for the first time in months. Just a few blocks from my apartment, MRKT has a unique ambiance all its own, with wooden blocks and slats comprising the entire decor, including an arched ceiling that really makes the place feel cozy. Food was nice, although I only got as far as the charcuterie board and some drinks--we were just out to sit in a warm place and relax for a bit rather than have a full meal. Pear martini is phenomenal; about as sweet and subtle as actually biting into a ripe pear, which was very refreshing. Would like to hit up their lunch menu, which looks extremely reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehYEGeats33Dined on 2/22/2014Very disappointed. We made our reservation for 930 on Saturday, as my boyfriend drove 3 hours to get to Edmonton, we had to make it later. The first thing out server said upon greeting is was that their kitchen will be closing in 45 minutes, which to me I find as just rude, I served for a better part of a decade and know that it never takes 45 minutes for a couple to order. The menu was very limited so we decided to go with the special, shrimp and scallop in a "bisque" which was essentially a few crustations in a purée soup. We also ordered the smoked oisters (which our server warned us came on a can upon ordering) and should have caught on to what she was trying to hint not to get.
- Went with a group of 10 forMemphDined on 2/18/2014Went with a group of 10 for a birthday. Service was great and food was amazing. Couldn't believe how great the food smelled when we walked in. Will be back for sure. If you haven't been its definitely worth try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nighteatlocalDined on 2/15/2014Valentine's Day evening dining out is most often a challenge to find a restaurant as it is the prime date night. So, the better choice was to book a table the day after and what better place than our favorite downtown casual hang-out - Mrkt. As usual the food was excellent, perfect sharing dishes to choose from. Emily - our server was terrific - not hovering over us but just there at the right moments. This is truly a gem and kudos to Carla - greatest soups in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's dinnerabook14Dined on 2/14/2014Loved the set menu for Valentine's Day. Very romantic atmosphere and great location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Valentine's Day DateLegallyBrunetteDined on 2/14/2014I had a wonderful time here on Valentine's Day. The set menu with wine pairing made the evening so relaxing. Everything was perfectly cooked and the meal was well paced. If eating here not on Valentine's Day I recommend the charcuterie, it's excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Socialable table,yummy cheese dip.yokifoodDined on 2/8/2014We had booked a table so were surprised when we were seated at the communal one! eventually we relaxed and ended up enjoyed talking to the other guests either side of us. The proscutto dish was a stand out ,as was the cheese fondue,smoked salmon, with the green stemmed olives. The boneless ribs we didn't enjoy as much. The wine list wasn't that extensive ,the french red by the glass I wanted wasn't available. The service was excellent . We enjoyed the experience offered here. Loved the tasting plates and next time hope to find something a bit more spicy on the menu (possibly Moroccan or something with chilli oil).Have to say the diner next to us ordered the Mussels ,they did look yummy in a cream sauce ,piled high with fresh crusty bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good, mediocre serviceLinaDined on 2/8/2014I reserved a table on Saturday night. after being seated at the communal table (unbeknownst to me following my reservation), our server sternly told us that we had until 8:15, for the table. This left our group with feeling rushed. I understand that this is standard practice for restaurants that are in high demand; however, there were at least two empty tables all evening! We were never offered any of these tables. The food was fantastic, but I will think twice about having a special event or evening in which we do not want to be limited to a time limit.Special Features:
- Great ambiance small portionsStacyDined on 2/1/2014Food and service was very good but portion size was not adequate for a dinner plate for the price. Especially the large plate beef ribs that actually comes with a single rib.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!SocialClubDined on 1/17/2014I made a reservation in advance for 8 people- service was great, atmosphere was welcoming and cozy! They had a lovely wine list with quite the diversity. Their menu was okay, very small limiting choices. The portion size was small and I felt I didn't get enough bang for my buck. This wouldn't be my "all night location" but I do recommend it for a nice, romantic date night or a chill place before you venture into another location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Fun PlaceEatingEverythingDined on 1/17/2014I went here for an evening out. Walking in, it had a nice trendy feel to it. Clearly caters to the downtown business person/ young professional crowd. Food was tasty and I felt the portion sizes were decent given the prices. What they have in terms of selection of beer is disappointing but they had a reasonably adequate wine list and their cocktails were pretty good as well. Definitely would come back here for a date/ night out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great evening spent at MRKTEmmaDined on 12/28/2013Went to MRKT with some girlfriends for my birthday. I had been once before and had a great time,and this time did not disappoint. Great food (mussels, apps) and fantastic dessert (gluten free!). The service was also very good. Overall, a great night, would recommend to anyone interested in a low-key night with good ambiance. will be back!Special Features:
- Best pub foodReviewManVIPDined on 12/17/2013The Beef Stroganoff and Beef with Coleslaw were great. Don't underestimate the small portions as they are very heavy. I would still like to see an expanded beer selection though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for dinner on a ThursdaySteakyDined on 12/12/2013We went for dinner on a Thursday and it wasn't busy, we had made a reservation with open table. The food and service were both great!! We chose this restaurant as one of our friends is celiac and they have a number of glutton free options. Would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for relaxingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2013We were 10 minutes late and the called to make sure we were on our way - thanks for holding the table for us and not giving it away, like most restaurants would do. The food was great - we loved the mussels! Very relaxing Friday night with some sharing plates and a glass of wine. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mrkt tries, but not for vegitariansdinnerdinerDined on 10/12/20132013 and not one vegan entre on the menu. A bacon dish cannot be made without bacon. In 1980 I could order a Caesar salad without bacon and the chef would do it, not at mrkt. Too many new eateries are offering the same limited menu and are half filled on a Saturday night. I guess its easier to see than do.
- Avenue Magazine Hot SpotDcpatDined on 10/9/2013Service at this restaurant was excellent. Very knowledgeable staff and accommodating to one of our diners who had food allergies. I had the sauted prawns on sweet potato mash. This was very tasty. My other friend had a quinoa salad with ahi tuna and she reported that it was just ok. Homemade almond bark for dessert was the highlight. Definately worth a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousGirlsnightoutDined on 9/28/2013All of our meals were so good. The service was unreal! I will be going back for sure. The only thing bad was I thought the chairs were a little uncomfortable, but I would still go back. Not a big deal if the food is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!TecupDined on 9/27/2013MRKT has always been a go to place when friends get together! They were able to accomadate us with last minute additions to our group, which was greatly appreciated! There are not a lot of options for individual main dishes, so going tapas style is a must! Also, make sure to make resos ahead of time as they book up quickly! Thanks again for a lovely evening MRKT!I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was so loud we couldn'tJRoSDined on 8/6/2013It was so loud we couldn't hear ourselves think, never mind hear each other.
- Hidden GemDBallyDined on 7/26/2013great little community restaurant that you might miss if you are not looking. It is worth the look.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.