10542 Jasper Ave
Edmonton, AB T5J 1Z7Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mrktcafeteria.com/
- Phone: (780) 757-6758
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm.
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Carla Alexander
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from MRKT
MRKT is an eclectic restaurant serving rustic comfort food in the heart of downtown. At MRKT we pride ourselves on using fresh ingredients, naturally raised meats from local farms, and line caught fish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
MRKT reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (27)good for groups (20)neighborhood gem (14)special occasion (12)notable wine list (11)hot spot (10)great for lunch (9)romantic (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Loved it!CAGriggDined on 11/21/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and service. The shrimp(main) was absolutely amazing-- definitely something I will crave. The charceuterie board to start was ok, but left something to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableGourmetchicVIPDined on 11/8/2014Cosy space. Interesting menu and declicious food. Service was spot on. An enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- InterstellarBQQsayssoDined on 11/8/2014Hey! We had a great time out at this cute little gem. Felt like being in a ship in the middle of the city. Great ambiance, food was delish although portions were a bit small for the value. Service was great, wine was very palatable and I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No minors after 7pmLisaDined on 11/7/2014When I booked the restaurant, I didn't realize that minors were not allowed after 7pm on a Friday. Fortunately, we were not affected, but I wish there was something on OpenTable that indicated that this restaurant is not suitable for families after a certain hour. Food was OK, a little pricy for what we received.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional plates of foodKatsyrupDined on 10/10/2014Great food. Great service. Our hostess/server was absolutely fabulous. My birthday party friends had a fantastic evening. I'm happy you take weekend reservations. Other restaurants should learn to because this means customers are wanting to have lots to eat and drink!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely worth a try - 3-4 timesseaschellDined on 10/3/2014I have been to MRKT a few times before and this time was no different from the last - AMAZING. The staff is very personable and the food changes regularly so it doesn't get boring. They have an awesome by-the-bottle wine list and while their by-the-glass list is small, it provides a lot of variety and has some great choices. I will continue to come back here regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!FoodjunkieDined on 9/25/2014Had a great experience here. Went on a late night date and food was quick, there was not a lot of people so it was nice and quiet. Service was great. Food was amazing! Thanks for a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always delicious!BaTlVIPDined on 9/23/2014A regular favorite. Eat here at least once a week. Nightly specials. The muscles change regularly. The wine is great. The service is fabulous. Can't say enough good things. Casual laid back atmosphere. Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- DisappointingFoodclub6Dined on 9/23/2014Went with my dinner club and it was a horrible waste if money. Food with zero flavour...thank god for fresh ground pepper. price point for selection was way too high. 5 meatballs....$20 Cheese fondu was cold and tasted like onions. Meat and cheese board was not explained..... Just a very bad experience. Would never go back!!!
- Great musselseatlocalDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I make the MRKT a once a month visit. We typically order the mussels as they change how they are prepared which makes for a pleasant surprise.Special Features:
- DisapointedEdmstageVIPDined on 8/5/2014So this was by no means our first visit to MKRT but certainly our only visit that will make us re-think going back to MKRT. I ordered the short-ribs, which are the most amazing short-ribs I have ever eaten and are listed under the large plate category on the menu. My dinning partner order the MeatBalls, also listed under large plate... what came was extremely disappointing. The amount of food that came was closer to an appetizer or a teaser - my partner ended up having to add a small plate option just to have a reasonable amount of food. The meatballs were way over priced for what actually came and extremely poor quality. The flavor was nonexistence... nothing that was promised by the detailed description in the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 118 reviews are from the MRKT reviews archive.
- First timeenjoyedmontonDined on 7/10/2014This was our first time enjoying MRKT. The food was delicious! We ordered a couple of appetizers, the goat chess and the bruschetta and licked the plates clean. The four of us each ordered separate entrees and all were excellent!Special Features:
- It was OkayCMH21Dined on 7/10/2014We went for my friends Birthday dinner,I made a reservation and specifically put in the reservation that it was her. There was no special attention for my friends birthday, until the end when there was a candle in the dessert but she never said anything. The food itself was average, we had the bruschetta it was ok, I had the garden salad and added the Beef Tenderloin, it had almost no dressing it, 4 pieces of tomato and some goats cheese and carrot for $16 this was not a $16 at all, the piece of Beef tastes BOILED, it was not grilled or pan roasted and was only 2 or 3 oz big. My friends enjoyed their meals they were small plates for the price you are paying. However their homemade virgin drinks and desserts are good.
- Quiet Early DinnerYEGfoodieVIPDined on 6/6/2014We had a lovely, early dinner at MRKT before heading to an event downtown. We were the only folks in the restaurant for the first 45 minutes or so after they opened, but there was no delay in getting delicious food and good service. The soup we had was fantastic, and the cheesy (but pleasantly spicy) cornbread was very comforting. The braised short ribs were fall-off-the-bone tender and were loaded with flavour; the creamy risotto and the fresh coleslaw were nice accompaniments.Special Features:
- Superb presentation and flavoursyokifoodDined on 6/3/2014Excellent cheese and charcuterie board ,amazing presentation and well thought out. Delicious cheese fondue,although slightly thin. Meatballs could be more flavoured with a bit more oomph ,ribs excellent ,tender and tasty. Lovely waitress ,looked after us so well (even when we spilt wine) .Brili lant wine list ,and a bonus to find out some of the wine is half priced on tuesday. We loved the chocolate bark .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeRobertoDined on 5/22/2014Always great food and good service. Love the short ribs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodbanjokazooieDined on 5/10/2014Overall, the food was good. The penne that I had was very tasty. Tuna salad was a bit bland. Pork shoulder was a little dry. Portions are on the small side.Special Features:
- Food was awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/1/2014Six of us for dinner,all had a variety & everyone was very pleased with their choice. Excellent selection of very tasty soups .Split a very delicious large salad (wonderful lemony dressing ..... & he thinks he doesn't like lemon )with my husband. Entrees were all excellent. No time for dessert for us. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You gotta eat here!clou66Dined on 4/26/2014Very vibrant atmosphere on a Saturday and not a bad dish to be had. Would recommend anyone looking for awesome food with a lively ambience to make this a definite stop for dinner. The only drawback is it's 2 1/2 ish hours from Calgary...but worth the drive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well hidden Edmonton hot spotarcticguyDined on 4/26/2014want top quality food and great service on Jasper, at a place where the line-ups across the street are too long, or reservations down the street not available? give MRKT a try - fresh, local, innovative, tasting plates available if you ask.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodNogoodDined on 4/26/2014I would not go there hungry. The food portions are vary small. After our $60 meal there we stoped at Mc Donnalds for burgers.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great RestaurantprariefoodloverDined on 4/22/2014I'd been to MRKT a couple of times before this - once for dinner and once for lunch. Both times, I had a terrific meal and good service. So, it seemed I was headed to the right place for dinner out for my husband's birthday. I was not disappointed! Brilliant food and service, and a lovely evening all round. Hats off to the folks at MRKT - you're doing it all right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great service.BernardDined on 4/19/2014Great place to gather with friends and talk. Good food, very well prepared and presented, with many shareable items. Something I like very much. Very very good service. Really impressed with our server, and it seemed like other diners were receiving the same. Solid wine list but as with many somewhat upper scale environments, grossly overpriced. Limited choice of beer, and for a place that looks like a pub, nothing on tap. 18% minimum tip is a bit much. Frankly I think (after many years in the industry) tipping should be up to the client. Will definitely gather a group of friends and go back.Special Features:
- Great ExpectationscanthonyDined on 4/18/2014I had high expectations for this restaurant, I really did. We started with the charcuterie plate for two... and came to the conclusion that almost everything on the platter could be found at our local grocery store. Our mains arrived promptly- mussels with a tomato and white wine broth and braised boneless beef ribs, coleslaw and tomato risotto. The beef was over braised- that is, it was tender but had passed the point of succulence and moved on towards the sawdust stage. The risotto had clearly been made long before- the rice had split and the desired al dente texture of the rice had long since disappeared. The coleslaw's texture was fantastic, but it needed both seasoning and acid. The mussels were, 'fishy but okay.' We passed on dessert.Special Features:
- The food was very tasty, butOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2014The food was very tasty, but the portions were small. We are small eaters. So even then, we found the portions too small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but a little loudhipsterhansenDined on 3/15/2014The food was delicious but several types of beer on the menu were not available (in transition to new brands). The restaurant was very noisy due to a private party of about 30 guests, so difficult to have conversation. Decor is interesting but a bit cold, and all of the wood contributes to noise as there is no baffling. Items to try: Prawns on sweet potato mash; corn bread; mussels. The oysters come in a can but do not be put off - they are delicious especially with the smoked gouda on toast. Scallops were good but not a large enough menu item to fill an average man...would need an additional dish.Special Features:
- Amazing! !OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/13/2014We came for a birthday dinner and it was really delicious. We ordered a lot of food and everything was beautifully plated. The portions aren't too big so you can share a few dishes without over eating. We ALL said "WOW!" after the first bite. If you haven't been, then you HAVE to go!!! YUM YUMMMMMMSpecial Features:
- Tasty Food and attentive ServiceSidneyDined on 3/12/2014Love your 1/2 price wine nights (Tue/Wed). My prawn dish was so flavourful and my wife enjoyed a tasty salad with free range chicken. The unfinished wine bottle was re-corked and looking forward to trying your lunch selectionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm Ambience on a Cold EveningeatingyegDined on 3/1/2014Sitting inside MRKT the other night, I imagined I was actually in a cool city for the first time in months. Just a few blocks from my apartment, MRKT has a unique ambiance all its own, with wooden blocks and slats comprising the entire decor, including an arched ceiling that really makes the place feel cozy. Food was nice, although I only got as far as the charcuterie board and some drinks--we were just out to sit in a warm place and relax for a bit rather than have a full meal. Pear martini is phenomenal; about as sweet and subtle as actually biting into a ripe pear, which was very refreshing. Would like to hit up their lunch menu, which looks extremely reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehYEGeats33Dined on 2/22/2014Very disappointed. We made our reservation for 930 on Saturday, as my boyfriend drove 3 hours to get to Edmonton, we had to make it later. The first thing out server said upon greeting is was that their kitchen will be closing in 45 minutes, which to me I find as just rude, I served for a better part of a decade and know that it never takes 45 minutes for a couple to order. The menu was very limited so we decided to go with the special, shrimp and scallop in a "bisque" which was essentially a few crustations in a purée soup. We also ordered the smoked oisters (which our server warned us came on a can upon ordering) and should have caught on to what she was trying to hint not to get.
- Went with a group of 10 forMemphDined on 2/18/2014Went with a group of 10 for a birthday. Service was great and food was amazing. Couldn't believe how great the food smelled when we walked in. Will be back for sure. If you haven't been its definitely worth try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nighteatlocalDined on 2/15/2014Valentine's Day evening dining out is most often a challenge to find a restaurant as it is the prime date night. So, the better choice was to book a table the day after and what better place than our favorite downtown casual hang-out - Mrkt. As usual the food was excellent, perfect sharing dishes to choose from. Emily - our server was terrific - not hovering over us but just there at the right moments. This is truly a gem and kudos to Carla - greatest soups in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's dinnerabook14Dined on 2/14/2014Loved the set menu for Valentine's Day. Very romantic atmosphere and great location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic Valentine's Day DateLegallyBrunetteDined on 2/14/2014I had a wonderful time here on Valentine's Day. The set menu with wine pairing made the evening so relaxing. Everything was perfectly cooked and the meal was well paced. If eating here not on Valentine's Day I recommend the charcuterie, it's excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Socialable table,yummy cheese dip.yokifoodDined on 2/8/2014We had booked a table so were surprised when we were seated at the communal one! eventually we relaxed and ended up enjoyed talking to the other guests either side of us. The proscutto dish was a stand out ,as was the cheese fondue,smoked salmon, with the green stemmed olives. The boneless ribs we didn't enjoy as much. The wine list wasn't that extensive ,the french red by the glass I wanted wasn't available. The service was excellent . We enjoyed the experience offered here. Loved the tasting plates and next time hope to find something a bit more spicy on the menu (possibly Moroccan or something with chilli oil).Have to say the diner next to us ordered the Mussels ,they did look yummy in a cream sauce ,piled high with fresh crusty bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good, mediocre serviceLinaDined on 2/8/2014I reserved a table on Saturday night. after being seated at the communal table (unbeknownst to me following my reservation), our server sternly told us that we had until 8:15, for the table. This left our group with feeling rushed. I understand that this is standard practice for restaurants that are in high demand; however, there were at least two empty tables all evening! We were never offered any of these tables. The food was fantastic, but I will think twice about having a special event or evening in which we do not want to be limited to a time limit.Special Features:
- Great ambiance small portionsStacyDined on 2/1/2014Food and service was very good but portion size was not adequate for a dinner plate for the price. Especially the large plate beef ribs that actually comes with a single rib.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!SocialClubDined on 1/17/2014I made a reservation in advance for 8 people- service was great, atmosphere was welcoming and cozy! They had a lovely wine list with quite the diversity. Their menu was okay, very small limiting choices. The portion size was small and I felt I didn't get enough bang for my buck. This wouldn't be my "all night location" but I do recommend it for a nice, romantic date night or a chill place before you venture into another location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Fun PlaceEatingEverythingDined on 1/17/2014I went here for an evening out. Walking in, it had a nice trendy feel to it. Clearly caters to the downtown business person/ young professional crowd. Food was tasty and I felt the portion sizes were decent given the prices. What they have in terms of selection of beer is disappointing but they had a reasonably adequate wine list and their cocktails were pretty good as well. Definitely would come back here for a date/ night out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great evening spent at MRKTEmmaDined on 12/28/2013Went to MRKT with some girlfriends for my birthday. I had been once before and had a great time,and this time did not disappoint. Great food (mussels, apps) and fantastic dessert (gluten free!). The service was also very good. Overall, a great night, would recommend to anyone interested in a low-key night with good ambiance. will be back!Special Features: