New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
JapanesePrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mrrobata.com/
- Phone: 2127571030
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 12:00pm - 1:00am (Mon-Sat); Sundays 2pm-11:30pm Manhattan's all new late night contemporary Japanese cusine.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Masaki Nakayama
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Let Mr. Robata provide the backdrop for your next private party. Finding a venue for meetings, private parties, and celebrations can be difficult in New York City. Time is of the essence in most cases, and if you know who to call, the party throws itself!
- Special Events: Let Mr. Robata provide the backdrop for your next private party. Finding a venue for meetings, private parties, and celebrations can be difficult in New York City. Time is of the essence in most cases, and if you know who to call, the party throws itself! We will be glad to host your next party, and can accommodate parties of up to 45 persons.
A word from Mr. Robata
Right in the heart of Broadway, New York's entertainment district, Mr. Robata offers the finest contemporary Japanese cuisine in the city. Our expert chefs personify New York boldness, mixing daring inspiration with a fine dining atmosphere. Our dynamic menu will delight you with a variety of the highest grade sushi, robata, and chef's specials. Join us and share in an ageless tradition of indulgence. Robata: A Rustic Japanese grilling technique originating from the country farmhouses of Japan; our chefs attentively grill over charcoal to maintain precise temperatures, constantly tending the grill to achieve perfection-Robata embodies what authentic Japanese food is all about. Achieving perfection! Like New York nightlife, Mr. Robata mixes fine ingredients with expert technique. Our chef gracefully integrates the theory of Japanese Kaiseki with his French restaurant experience, imbuing each dish with the subtlety of Japan and the bold sauces of storied French cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mr. Robata reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
late-night find (3)neighborhood gem (3)special occasion (2)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014We were quite disappointed in this restaurant. The ambiance was cold and stark. The wine list was almost nonexistent and when my husband ordered the house Chianti he was told that they were out. The ladies at the table next to us ordered the Sangria that was advertised as the day's special and they were out of that as well. The food was ok, the server very pleasant but I would not recommend this restaurant.
- Amazing shrimp cocktail & dessert!CityfoodDined on 8/9/2014The appetizers and the dessert was really good. The sushi was fresh and tasted really good but was not amazing enough to suit the price. Racked a 120 dollar bill for one appetizer, three rolls and one dessert + tip!Special Features:
- Horrible and expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/7/2014The waitres didn't tell us what we where ordering the triple of the foodSpecial Features:
- Good sushiD1C2L3VIPDined on 7/6/2014We found this restaurant on Broadway not far from Times Square. The sashimi, rolls and entres were all fresh and well prepared. Service was quick and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The price does not match the food.TachibanaDined on 7/4/2014This is not an original japanese restaurant. The food tastes more like ocidental. I tried the sushis, and they were salty and warm. And they cost 5 to 15$ each. I would not recommend it for people who knows what a good japanese food is.
- love the foodBuonissimoDined on 5/27/2014presentation, service, and food are superb..Friendly people in there, the food is artistically presented and the drinks are great.Special Features:
- The following 214 reviews are from the Mr. Robata reviews archive.
- Sushi on your way to the theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/15/2014If you like sushi and you are going to see a show, search no more, Mr, Robata is perfect for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-ConcertLuv2EatVIPDined on 4/4/2014We stopped in to have drinks and a bite to eat before the Lady Gaga concert on Friday and were not disappointed. We ate three different types of rolls and were blown away by the tuna taco appetizer that we ended up with a triple order!! The only thing that was disappointing was the soy sauce; it was a regular soy. It was too light for the sushi/sashimi, but still good. Drinks were absolutely amazing and our waiter was attentive, efficient and an abolute pro!I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the theater district andnancyDined on 4/3/2014In the theater district and great for a 5 pm dinner. Waiter very helpful with suggesting items. The pork bellies were delicious.
- Simply the Best Japanese in NYCMichaelDined on 3/18/2014Absolutely fantastic! From the moment we walked in there was a classy yet relaxed atmosphere with a very chic decor. The wait staff was incredibly diligent and kind (& very flexible with our complicated order). We each had a three course meal (perfect place to go before a show). He had the Noodle Salad & I had an order of the spicy french fries. Both were exceptional. The fries were spiced perfectly & something about the way they cooked the chicken in the salad was incredible. For dinner he got the Crispy Chicken Burger and I got 2 sushi rolls. Everything was simply awesome. A unique flavor to everything & a wide ranging menu. Even friends of mine who aren't fans of Japanese food would love the menu & it has a very romantic/modern NYC vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasantly surprised!markienycVIPDined on 2/28/2014I took my girlfriend here and we both loved it! I am not a fan of sushi (to say the least) but was pleasently surprised at all the cooked options. I had the grilled skirt steak which was outstanding. My girlfriend loves sushi and she claims this was some of the best she's ever had in the city. Prices were decent for midtown. Highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midtown surpriseLuvNYCdining23Dined on 2/28/2014Went to dinner here with a friend a few nights ago . I usually stay away from midtown west however to my surprise this place was very good! Very friendly staff, nice decor and very laid back automosphere. Menu was extensive and included sushi items as well as grilled items and wagyu sliders. Sushi was very fresh and the pork belly simply melts in your mouth. Decent selection of sake and very creative cocktail list. Def will go back when in midtownSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightBowsandarrowsDined on 2/26/2014I went here with my husband this past week and we felt extremely welcomed. Service was great and our server was Rey nice. She was very helpful when we asked her to explain the menu. The food was amazing over all. I had sushi rolls, dreams come true, stardust and the spicy scallop crunch roll were delicious. My husband had the grilled scallops and the sort steak. Everything was really good and we finished off the night with the exotic bomba dessert. I am definitely coming back. I absolutely loved it!Special Features:
- RobataJsapienVIPDined on 2/21/2014The service was fair, with the waiter frequently absent. Sushi was fair and similar to what you will find in an airport restaurant. Only the skewers where very good.
- disappointingksklDined on 2/15/2014Was recommended by our hotel but found the menu limited and the food not tasty. Filet was dry and tasteless, sushi, better in my home town. Would not recommend.
- Could Use Some PolishingDinewithdogsVIPDined on 1/21/2014Was looking for a neighborhood gem. Wanted to love it but still just lukewarm about it. Food was good but very basic. Service could have been stepped up a notch - experience, knowledge and therefore presentation to customers. Asked server if it sake we ordered was too big for two people. His response- small, he would be able to finish it by himself. A Shaku Masu cup & standard tokkuri pitcher=144 ml, a common serving size, & good reference. Ours=720ml, 4 single sake servings...like a bottle of wine. Absolutely did not love the large TV screens everyone. May be best suited for a happy hour, quick meal as opposed to a destination.
- Robata is getting worse.IgorDined on 1/17/2014We used to love this place but food and service is getting worse. We went there this Friday and robata grilled mushrooms were cold and lamb was frozen inside. We also ordered same hot expensive sake and they brought us 2 distinctively different sakes in 2 cups. Do not recommend.
- Very enjoyable dinner dateTravelerDined on 1/11/2014Service was fast and friendly. Food was very well presented and tasty. The prices were not cheap but not out of line either. The chicken wings, bok chou, and sushi were all very good. The dessert- a ball of sorbet covered in white chocolate was outstanding. I would recommend this place to someone looking for a very good Japanese grill & sushi restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi in tourist landJoe3Dined on 1/9/2014We found this on OT looking for a quick pre-opera bite. We had sushi, a chirashi bowl and some spicy tuna tacos. OK, Nobu 57 it ain't, but for the purpose it was exactly what we wanted. Walking distance from the hotel, super fresh well made dishes, Japanese beer, and the whole world passes before your eyes when you look out the window (it is on Broadway a little north of Times Sq.), and you're out in 45 minutes if you want to. Service is ok-ish (they had a little trouble remembering stuff), but friendliness made up for that. It is not super cheap, but apparently they had some happy-hour thing going on, because when they brought the bill they had taken $ 30 off. At $ 100 or so, a steal for the area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and quick after theater mealBillfDined on 12/30/2013This was a good choice for a light, late night (after theater) meal. Sushi was fresh, service was great, and we were seated and served quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJassimDined on 12/30/2013Very nice restaurant close to time squre international food plus perfect japanies foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grill the Japanese wayYumyumDined on 12/26/2013We love Robata because it's not only terrific sashimi but the grilled veggies are outstanding. Only disappointment was the host who seated walk ins before us and gave them a prime table while trying to foist off a twofer right by the drafty door on us. Happily, the manager popped over and made sure all was well.Special Features:
- Surprise hitSuloDined on 12/22/2013We needed a meal near midtown hotel and we were at defcon 2 with my 7 year old. Really surprisingly good izakaya (next door to flash dancers?). Also have sushi, but I'd say go for cooked food. Brussell sprouts, snap peas, chicken wings all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, quick to satisfyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/22/2013Great for a quick bite. Had tuna burger sandwich that said was pan seared and the waitress even asked how I would like it prepared. Seeing the restaurant also serves sushi I assumed it would be a piece of sushi grade tuna, however it was a frozen patty
- Sushi restaurant as sportsOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/10/2013Sushi restaurant as sports bar: loud and bad music, a large screen TV, all a great loss. The decor is fine: remove the TV and pick better music, and you'd have an environment that matched the quality of the food.
- Good food, but a little slowglennDined on 12/2/2013The food was great. When we were there, the service was very slow. It would take about 15 - 20 minutes from ordering to getting our food out and many of the items came out seperately. What should have taken an hour was closer to 2.
- Robata?KeithDined on 11/30/2013It is called themselve robatayaki restaurant, but, in fact, not the food cooked on a Robata, it is a fake Japanese food. It is eaten with it, but it is not enough to call themselves the food cooked on a Robata.
- Average, overpricedCadeDined on 11/16/2013Robata's has a cool vibe, and a great location we had sushi and it was all good, but overpriced. Guess that's what you get in Tines Square. For a Times Square restaurant, it's better than most.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & LocationHuffcamDined on 11/16/2013We wanted a sushi & sashimi restaurant in or near the theater district and found this one. On Broadway near the Ed Sullivan Theater. Enjoyed the food, ambience and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Under ConstructionOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/1/2013Mr. Robata is currently under construction. The whole facade is covered in plywood. It feels pretty sketchy entering the place and once inside there was a strange smell that the waiter attributed to construction. This smell was made worse by the gruff hostess who went outside the door of the tiny spot to smoke a few cigarettes - sending the smoke right into the restaurant. ALSO, the restaurant sits right next door to the strip club Flash Dancers. YUCK!
- Nice sushi place near BroadwayNJAppleVIPDined on 10/10/2013Cozy neighborhood sushi place with great location on Broadway. Sushi was good, not brilliant. Litchi red bean dessert was delightful! Sports screen in background adds to comfortable atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Japanese Taste Buds......EaggyDined on 10/4/2013...treat yourself to a delightful meal at Mr. Robata! I've been here before and can honestly say that my return trip was just as perfect as my first one! They honored my request for a booth setting near the front (we like to watch the chefs at work!). The wait staff is prompt, courteous and attentive to all your needs...and most important of all...your taste buds will rock the night away!!! Each artfully arranged dish has its own unique flavors. You will not be disappointed....I promise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the roughFoodloverDined on 9/21/2013Just found the restaurant online while searching for a place to have dinner on the Michelin website. It was recommended. Had a great Japanese dining experience. Ordered a Chirashi bowl, and then tried a fillet mignon robata. The Chirashi bowl was outstanding. The filet mignon impressed me the most....melting in your mouth and tasty. I had it as recommended by the Robata chef. The Sushi chef was very friendly...I sat by the sushi bar. Overall, I was very satisfied with my meal at Mr. ROBATA. Will definitely return for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I went here for my birthdayBrunchGreatVIPDined on 9/17/2013I went here for my birthday and it was quite enjoyable.
- AmazingLisaDined on 9/5/2013The food was absolutely amazing that we ordered 2 of our dishes again as we couldn't get enough of it!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good meal at Mr. Robata'sMarylouDined on 9/1/2013We had a good time. Food was excellent! We had a nice table (a cool spot - the weather was very hot!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale yet cozy pre-theater diningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2013Mr. Robata's is a sensational find for dining in the theater district. From the moment you walk in, you experience a surprising level of service and comfort. Street noise fades away as you are ensconced in carefully lit dining nooks and presented with a menu that should please foodies and casual diners alike. We made a meal from the fabulous selection of starters, including outstanding wagyu beef sliders and braised pork bellies. We will definitely eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service; our tableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2013Terrible service; our table was virtually forgotten, even though the manager and other servers were walking by. Veggie plate lunch special left much to be desired.
- Ambiance & food good but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2013Went with my family. The robata (barbecue style) stuff is generally good. The steak skirt was delicious and so were Brussel Sprouts. Stay away from artichoke robata, at least in August. It did not taste like anything. Sushi/Sashimi dishes were not their forte. The taste was rather bland. The Chirashi had sesame paste over rice instead of vinegar "sushi" rice. Very weird and did not enjoy it. The desserts were very good! If anything order desserts to make up for disappointing dinner fares.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautifully decorated space,DrLarryVIPDined on 8/16/2013Beautifully decorated space, great for a quick pre-theater bite, but the food is only mediocre to good.