Mr. John's Steakhouse
2111 St. Charles Ave
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Mr. John's Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mrjohnssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 5046797697
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef Robert Bruce
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Mr. John's Steakhouse
Desi Vega, Rodney Salvaggio, Paul Varisco and staff, invite you to join them for a "memorable dining experience" at what food critic Tom Fitzmorris calls "The Best Steakhouse in the City." With regular visits from the Saints players and owners, most weekends are sold out. Mr. John's convenient location on historical St. Charles Avenue and valet parking makes for a pleasurable evening in the city!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Mr. John's Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Garden District ›
Mr. John's Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (115)romantic (66)fit for foodies (52)notable wine list (51)neighborhood gem (44)good for groups (37)scenic view (28)hot spot (15)great for lunch (9)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- As good as everGreatlittlespotVIPDined on 10/17/2014What more can I say, I've been to Mr. Johns on several occasions and I've never been disappointed. Coach Payton was dining with a group next to us so that was a little added bit conversation amongst our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jean BJeanBDined on 10/14/2014Great food and excellent service. My favorite steak in Nola!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencePeteetriusDined on 10/14/2014Every selection was delicious. A healthy well priced wine list. If you're in the area please go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect BirthdaySkipperDined on 10/11/2014I always enjoy the steaks and potatoes au gratin on special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMrosDined on 10/10/2014My boyfriend loves steak and for his 30th birthday a friend of mine recommended me Mr. John's. I had made reservation 5 days prior to our dinner and so glad I did because it was filling up quick. Service was great, the food was cooked at its perfection and blown is away! We ended the night with a tiramisu cake with a candle lit up for my boyfriend birthday. He was so surprised and loved every minute of it. Not to mention, we are from houston so it was our first time driving into New Orleans to celebrate! We look forward to coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant on a great avenuepandkDined on 10/10/2014Food was excellent. Service was great. Restaurant on street car line. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Level RestaurantdavidbDined on 10/10/2014This restaurant was a breath of fresh air. Staff people, like the waiters, his helpers, floor manager were great. The food was awesome, from the appetizers, soup ( turtle, one of the best I had ), steaks, lobster, and finally the dessert . Waiters were very helpful in picking out good wines, knowledge of the specials, every dish that we quizzed him about. He even put a appetizer together that I wanted. The food came out in a very timely manner as not to rush us, but relaxed. We were 4 of us dinning, and no one had a single complaint on the food itself, except the steaks came out on very hot plates and my daughter, accidentally touched it after about 7 minutes and it burned her. I don't see a need for such a hot plate with splattering butterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Steak with Perfect WineDan77Dined on 10/9/2014Nice place in the Garden District with the usual trappings of a classic steakhouse: dark wood trim, white tablecloths and aprons, long wine list. We had the T-bone for two and it was cooked perfectly to medium, tasty, and juicy. The appetizers were great - we had grilled pineapple rings stuffed with crab, and a shrimp remoulade salad that had a wonderful dressing. They had Caymus 2012 CS 40th. Anniversary at a reasonable price, so we had a bottle of this excellent young cab which they decanted for us. Very attentive service. You will not be disappointed. Worth the ride out of the CBD.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerNeverAgainDined on 10/7/2014I was referred by to separate friends. Someone in the food and beverage industry and attorney friend from the area. My wife and I were celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary and were destine to have a good time. I was told we couldn't miss, best steak ever hands down. We arrived early sat at the bar for a couple drinks, then we were promptly sat at our table. It was busy great the food must be wonderful. The noise from people talking was so loud our waiter had to lean in to hear our order. We ordered salads, ribeyes, bake potato and garlic mashed potatoes. Salads were decent, the steaks we ordered one well done and the other medium well came out burnt. The garlic mashed tasted as if they were instant mash potatoes. Very disappointing!
- Excellent server and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Our server Gindy was the best! The food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barbbabyDined on 9/27/2014Everything I expected on a first visit. Celebrated a fun birthdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food, great servicejk7957Dined on 9/26/2014Loved the food and service. Restaurant was a bit loud, which may turn some people off. Would definitely recommend it to anyone. This would be a great double date/group outing as it would allow you to talk freely across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab cakes are a 10!MeauxDined on 9/26/2014Food was delish and service was fabulous. Crab cake were 98% crab meat. No fillers. Delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What I ExpectedSorelyDisappointedDined on 9/26/2014I ordered a rib-eye steak (medium well) and my spouse ordered stark (medium)-and-lobster, both dishes came with a la cart sides. The meals approached $200.00, with which I had no problem; except that my spouse and I are certain that the rib-eye was a lesser cut of meat masquerading as a rib-eye steak; i.e., tough, no marble, and full of gristle. Moreover, we were seated at a tiny table with not much space to accommodate our dishes. My spouse told me I should have informed the manager, but I am the "hate-to-cause-a scene" type of individual. I just vowed that I would never dine there again. The restaurant was highly recommended by a friend, so we chose the setting to celebrate our wedding anniversary.Special Features:
- Great place for a steak!MikeDined on 9/23/2014Mr. John's does not fail. The service is great; the food is good; and the atmosphere is welcoming. I had the rib-eye and it was one of the best I've had in years!Special Features:
- Fine Dining at its bestkdmcalesterDined on 9/20/2014We went here while in New Orleans for girls' weekend. No one had a compliant. The service was Top of the line. Very nice servers!! You water class was never empty. Eating space was always clean. New silverware for everything. Steaks season well. Huge Lobster tails. Fresh seafood. Just one of the best meal I have had in years.Special Features:
- Good food and elegant serviceTomgolfsDined on 9/20/2014Group of six all had steak, everyone was complimenting the selection since first time for all. We were about 15 minutes early but seated immediately and the service was also very prompt. The table side dishes were ample and each was very well prepared. Overall a good night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SJayVIPDined on 9/20/2014Best steak in NOLA! Porterhouse for 2 is it! Gindy Is def a tremendous waiter!!!Special Features:
- Liv2eatDined on 9/18/2014Get the strip.... Best steak in the city!!! Service is outstanding as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak in New OrleansLivandEllasdaddyDined on 9/16/2014Greg was me and my wife's waiter and he was exceptional. The service is actually a bit to much. I don't need a water or wine refill after only taking a sip or two. Who Dat Shrimp was delicious. After appetizer a homemade meatball was brought out. This was a great/unexpected treat. The filet was cooked perfectly and the hollondaise was a great compliment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigLouDined on 9/16/2014Always great. And when I cannot get in, I go to Desi Vega'sSpecial Features:
- Did Not Disappoint!COF6Dined on 9/13/2014I found this place searching the internet. Was our 20 yr anniversary. They welcomed and congratulated us upon arrival. Took us to a nice table by the window. There was a 14 member bachelor party and an 8 member female birthday celebration. Both were loud, but the staff apologized profusely. Did not really bother us; as it was New Orleans! Food was phenomenal. Wedge salad was tasty. Chef sent out complimentary meatball appetizer to clean our pallets. Scrumptious!!! And the steak and lobster were perfect...perfect! GM came over to our table and personally thanked us for spending our anniversary with them. Was extremely cordial. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Best steak house in New OrleansUnbiasedNOLADined on 9/12/2014The filets are consistent and perfect. Service is always professional yet welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatNolaDined on 9/12/2014Food, service, and presentation are memorable for all the right reasons. Porterhouse for two was attractively sliced to share. Mr. John's salad is one that will be enjoyed again. French onion soup and turtle soup were both very good. On the St. Charles streetcar route, dinner at this restaurant is a nice New Orleans event.Special Features:
- NissaGDined on 9/12/2014Food was great, pretty noisy for @ lunch time. Pleased with waiter and quality of the food.Special Features:
- Great food, great service!theGfamilyDined on 9/9/2014Our family celebrated our son's 25th birthday at Mr. John's. We had a great time and enjoyed the food- as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prototypical steakhouseTaylorDined on 9/6/2014This is your "run of the mill" steakhouse, but there's nothing wrong with that. Right? I agree with Tom Fitzmorris in his assessment of Mr John's being "the best steakhouse in the city." The food is wonderful with quality cuts of beef, the service was great, and the restaurant is beautiful. Fantastic location on St Charles Ave to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another sublime evening in NolaRoachesFLDined on 9/4/2014Love this place. Mr. John's is always on our list of places to eat when we go to Nola. The folks who own this restaurant really understand how to develop a client-centric strategy, and then execute on that strategy of preparing a top-notch dining experience. From the moment we walk in, through their warm, genuinely-friendly greeting, then being seated at a great corner spot due to our special anniversary - they really deliver the goods. And the food is magnificent. The steaks are always perfectly medium-rare, the salad cold and crisp, the sides hot, the bread fresh, and the extensive wine list seems to always show us something new and different that we haven't had before. These folks really deliver. Wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AnniversaryCfoodeatitDined on 9/4/2014We chose to try Mr John's Steakhouse for our anniversary dinner. We had been given a gift card for the resturant for Christmas and decided to save it for our 44 anniversary. My wife and I have decided that this will be our go to resturant for all our special occasions. The wait staff were extremely knowledgeable and helpful as we selected each course of our meal. I have left the best for last, the food itself. I chose the Cowboy Cut Ribeye and my wife had the Petit Filet, both could be cut with a fork and were full of of flavor and cooked to perfection served on a sizzling hot plate. The appetizers, side items all complimented the meal and the desserts sent it over the top. Can't wait for the next occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NolatolatonolaDined on 8/30/2014Well worth the expense. Cooked to perfection and wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary/Birthday DinnerThe2FloridiansDined on 8/30/2014Great food, excellent service, staff very attentive. Could not have asked for a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014This was our second time going to Mr John's and it was just as good as the first time. We had the Surf and Turf and the Filet Mignon. The service is excellent!!!! Would definitely recommend this place to anyone! I know a lot of people like Ruth Chris, but this isn't a chain restaurant and that's what makes it even more special!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy Steak HouseOthayDined on 8/30/2014Mr. John's is a classy, New Orleans-style steak house. A picturesque view of the historic St. Charles Avenue while dining on a tender, juicy Grade A steak and great sides is hard to beat. Friendly service makes you feel at home. Highly recommend this place for special occasions or just a nice dinner any night.Special Features:
- Best steakMiataluvrDined on 8/29/2014As always the steak was great! Sat us not in main dining area which was greatly appreciated. The main area is quite loud whereas this area was peaceful. Never a disappointment!Special Features:
- THE BEST STEAKS IN NEW ORLEANSOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014JUST AS THE HEADKINE SAYS, MR. JOHN'S, QUITE SIMPLY, HAS THE BEST STEAKS IN NEW ORLEANS. THE SERVICE IS OUTSTANDING, AS IS THE AMBIENCE, ESPECIALLY IN THE "BOARD ROOM." YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.Special Features:
- Once is Not EnoughBoggiemanDined on 8/29/2014Mr. John's is one of the best if not the best steak destination in Net New Orleans. Great food, great service, dining with a view of St. Charles' street cars. On the upper price scale but we'll worth it for a special occasion. Highly recommended; you won't regret it and realize; "Once is Not Enough"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakJacksonDined on 8/26/2014Great Steak once again... we were a small party and out reservation was honored at exactly the time set... no waiting. The food again was outstanding and the service excellent as we have come to expectSpecial Features:
- luv2eatDined on 8/26/2014Our entire meal was delicious. Everything was prepared to order and the water gave us time between each entrée.Special Features:
- Mr johns steakhouseSteakloverDined on 8/23/2014Abosultely the very best steak around! Service was excellent, and the ambiance is awesome definitely a place to take the girlfriend or wife for a great romantic dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatjohnDined on 8/23/2014The food was excellent. I had the veal Alyssa and it was great.Special Features: