Mr. John's Steakhouse
2111 St. Charles Ave
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Mr. John's Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mrjohnssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 5046797697
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef Robert Bruce
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Mr. John's Steakhouse
Desi Vega, Rodney Salvaggio, Paul Varisco and staff, invite you to join them for a "memorable dining experience" at what food critic Tom Fitzmorris calls "The Best Steakhouse in the City." With regular visits from the Saints players and owners, most weekends are sold out. Mr. John's convenient location on historical St. Charles Avenue and valet parking makes for a pleasurable evening in the city!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Mr. John's Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Garden District ›
Mr. John's Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (112)romantic (72)fit for foodies (48)notable wine list (48)neighborhood gem (46)good for groups (32)scenic view (25)hot spot (13)great for lunch (9)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Terrific food, great servicejk7957Dined on 9/26/2014Loved the food and service. Restaurant was a bit loud, which may turn some people off. Would definitely recommend it to anyone. This would be a great double date/group outing as it would allow you to talk freely across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab cakes are a 10!MeauxDined on 9/26/2014Food was delish and service was fabulous. Crab cake were 98% crab meat. No fillers. Delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a steak!MikeDined on 9/23/2014Mr. John's does not fail. The service is great; the food is good; and the atmosphere is welcoming. I had the rib-eye and it was one of the best I've had in years!Special Features:
- Fine Dining at its bestkdmcalesterDined on 9/20/2014We went here while in New Orleans for girls' weekend. No one had a compliant. The service was Top of the line. Very nice servers!! You water class was never empty. Eating space was always clean. New silverware for everything. Steaks season well. Huge Lobster tails. Fresh seafood. Just one of the best meal I have had in years.Special Features:
- Good food and elegant serviceTomgolfsDined on 9/20/2014Group of six all had steak, everyone was complimenting the selection since first time for all. We were about 15 minutes early but seated immediately and the service was also very prompt. The table side dishes were ample and each was very well prepared. Overall a good night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SJayVIPDined on 9/20/2014Best steak in NOLA! Porterhouse for 2 is it! Gindy Is def a tremendous waiter!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Get the strip.... Best steak in the city!!! Service is outstanding as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak in New OrleansLivandEllasdaddyDined on 9/16/2014Greg was me and my wife's waiter and he was exceptional. The service is actually a bit to much. I don't need a water or wine refill after only taking a sip or two. Who Dat Shrimp was delicious. After appetizer a homemade meatball was brought out. This was a great/unexpected treat. The filet was cooked perfectly and the hollondaise was a great compliment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigLouDined on 9/16/2014Always great. And when I cannot get in, I go to Desi Vega'sSpecial Features:
- Did Not Disappoint!COF6Dined on 9/13/2014I found this place searching the internet. Was our 20 yr anniversary. They welcomed and congratulated us upon arrival. Took us to a nice table by the window. There was a 14 member bachelor party and an 8 member female birthday celebration. Both were loud, but the staff apologized profusely. Did not really bother us; as it was New Orleans! Food was phenomenal. Wedge salad was tasty. Chef sent out complimentary meatball appetizer to clean our pallets. Scrumptious!!! And the steak and lobster were perfect...perfect! GM came over to our table and personally thanked us for spending our anniversary with them. Was extremely cordial. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Best steak house in New OrleansUnbiasedNOLADined on 9/12/2014The filets are consistent and perfect. Service is always professional yet welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatNolaDined on 9/12/2014Food, service, and presentation are memorable for all the right reasons. Porterhouse for two was attractively sliced to share. Mr. John's salad is one that will be enjoyed again. French onion soup and turtle soup were both very good. On the St. Charles streetcar route, dinner at this restaurant is a nice New Orleans event.Special Features:
- NissaGDined on 9/12/2014Food was great, pretty noisy for @ lunch time. Pleased with waiter and quality of the food.Special Features:
- Great food, great service!theGfamilyDined on 9/9/2014Our family celebrated our son's 25th birthday at Mr. John's. We had a great time and enjoyed the food- as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prototypical steakhouseTaylorDined on 9/6/2014This is your "run of the mill" steakhouse, but there's nothing wrong with that. Right? I agree with Tom Fitzmorris in his assessment of Mr John's being "the best steakhouse in the city." The food is wonderful with quality cuts of beef, the service was great, and the restaurant is beautiful. Fantastic location on St Charles Ave to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another sublime evening in NolaRoachesFLDined on 9/4/2014Love this place. Mr. John's is always on our list of places to eat when we go to Nola. The folks who own this restaurant really understand how to develop a client-centric strategy, and then execute on that strategy of preparing a top-notch dining experience. From the moment we walk in, through their warm, genuinely-friendly greeting, then being seated at a great corner spot due to our special anniversary - they really deliver the goods. And the food is magnificent. The steaks are always perfectly medium-rare, the salad cold and crisp, the sides hot, the bread fresh, and the extensive wine list seems to always show us something new and different that we haven't had before. These folks really deliver. Wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AnniversaryCfoodeatitDined on 9/4/2014We chose to try Mr John's Steakhouse for our anniversary dinner. We had been given a gift card for the resturant for Christmas and decided to save it for our 44 anniversary. My wife and I have decided that this will be our go to resturant for all our special occasions. The wait staff were extremely knowledgeable and helpful as we selected each course of our meal. I have left the best for last, the food itself. I chose the Cowboy Cut Ribeye and my wife had the Petit Filet, both could be cut with a fork and were full of of flavor and cooked to perfection served on a sizzling hot plate. The appetizers, side items all complimented the meal and the desserts sent it over the top. Can't wait for the next occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NolatolatonolaDined on 8/30/2014Well worth the expense. Cooked to perfection and wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary/Birthday DinnerThe2FloridiansDined on 8/30/2014Great food, excellent service, staff very attentive. Could not have asked for a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014This was our second time going to Mr John's and it was just as good as the first time. We had the Surf and Turf and the Filet Mignon. The service is excellent!!!! Would definitely recommend this place to anyone! I know a lot of people like Ruth Chris, but this isn't a chain restaurant and that's what makes it even more special!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy Steak HouseOthayDined on 8/30/2014Mr. John's is a classy, New Orleans-style steak house. A picturesque view of the historic St. Charles Avenue while dining on a tender, juicy Grade A steak and great sides is hard to beat. Friendly service makes you feel at home. Highly recommend this place for special occasions or just a nice dinner any night.Special Features:
- Best steakMiataluvrDined on 8/29/2014As always the steak was great! Sat us not in main dining area which was greatly appreciated. The main area is quite loud whereas this area was peaceful. Never a disappointment!Special Features:
- THE BEST STEAKS IN NEW ORLEANSOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014JUST AS THE HEADKINE SAYS, MR. JOHN'S, QUITE SIMPLY, HAS THE BEST STEAKS IN NEW ORLEANS. THE SERVICE IS OUTSTANDING, AS IS THE AMBIENCE, ESPECIALLY IN THE "BOARD ROOM." YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.Special Features:
- Once is Not EnoughBoggiemanDined on 8/29/2014Mr. John's is one of the best if not the best steak destination in Net New Orleans. Great food, great service, dining with a view of St. Charles' street cars. On the upper price scale but we'll worth it for a special occasion. Highly recommended; you won't regret it and realize; "Once is Not Enough"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakJacksonDined on 8/26/2014Great Steak once again... we were a small party and out reservation was honored at exactly the time set... no waiting. The food again was outstanding and the service excellent as we have come to expectSpecial Features:
- luv2eatDined on 8/26/2014Our entire meal was delicious. Everything was prepared to order and the water gave us time between each entrée.Special Features:
- Mr johns steakhouseSteakloverDined on 8/23/2014Abosultely the very best steak around! Service was excellent, and the ambiance is awesome definitely a place to take the girlfriend or wife for a great romantic dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatjohnDined on 8/23/2014The food was excellent. I had the veal Alyssa and it was great.Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerlovedthisplaceDined on 8/21/2014The staff was exceptional. The food was awesome. We had steak, smoked tuna, sweet potato and creamed spinach. Service was great. We had Patrick and Jimmy. The food was hot and one of the best steaks we've had. Great ambience. Located on beautiful St Charles Ave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My absolute fav place! Best steak!Only1KCDined on 8/21/2014My first time going was last August, and it instantly became my favorite restaurant. I literally have yet to try anything from this restaurant that isn't good. This is a place where you won't go wrong trying something new from the menu. The ribeye--to die for! The sizzling crab cake-perfection. All their sides-creamed spinach, sweet potato soufflé, garlic mashed potatoes, EVERYTHING! And the tiramisu & brownie. Amazing. Not to mention their exceptional service & gorgeous atmosphere. I'm ready for my next visit. This place never disappoints. Best steak in NOLA. Beats Ruth's Chris & Mortons any day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steakhouse BlueschewlaDined on 8/20/2014We had an 8p reservation. I called to see if we could get in earlier, only 7:45 was available. Asked about dress code,"can my husband wear shorts?""we prefer business casual, but if you have a reservation we won't turn you away" Got there at least 20 tables were empty. host dressed like she was ready for Bourbon. Guy in front of us had on jean shorts with sneakers and ball cap. Had to walk through the kitchen to access bathroom. kind of cool for me, but staff must be so annoyed with it. Ordered the Porterhouse for 2, it was huge and very good, had left overs for the next night- now for the sides.....broccoli au gratin, steamed broccoli with cheese whiz- really? crystal marinated onion rings- where's the hot sauce? just not approp for $$$Special Features:
- Never let's us downSteaklover4VIPDined on 8/19/2014Once again service and food was great! Thanks Aaron you were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLuvsteakDined on 8/19/2014As always , steak was delicious. Special fried artichoke salad with crawfish and crab was outstanding! Lobster was a little tough. Should never order if Lobster is more than 1 1/2 pounds because if you do it will always be tough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLiseDined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed everything about Mr. John's Steakhouse. The valet parking is a plus on St. Charles Avenue. We were greeted by the nice manager & shown to our table. We had 2 birthdays to celebrate so our celebrants got their amuse bouche with candles (delicious meatballs in marinara). The meal including appetizers, salads, & steaks with sides was terrific. We had a good Pinot Noir & enjoyed the entire evening.Special Features:
- EXCELLENTHDANGDined on 8/15/2014RESERVATION RECOMMENDED, HAD A VOUCHER, EXCELLENT SERVICES, AND PHENOMENON FOOD!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014The food was excellent and the ambience was wonderful. We enjoy the experience everytime we go.Special Features:
- Can't Go WrongOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/15/2014We've been dining here for a few years and it's still as wonderful as it was the very first time we did. I have two favorite steakhouses in New Orleans and this is one of them. Gindy and Jimmy are the best servers!Special Features:
- Best steak everLove2dineoutDined on 8/14/2014Best steak I have ever had... I've traveled around the world and have had steak in numerous countries but Mr.John's is the best I ever had! Definitely go if you have the chance!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hostess with the most-essFishfaceDined on 8/9/2014Let me start by -" I love this place"!!! It's always been a very classy pick! Being a personal friend of the late Mr. John Santopadre (R.I.P.). My daughter & I dined this past Sat eve. We Reminisced back to when she was 4, used to go into the kitchen w/Mr. John, have special steak bites made for her- she would run upstairs to his office to take him pictures she’d made. She’s now 16 & said,"it’s just like I remembered it"! I admire & respect the fact- new owners have'nt changed Mr. Johns a bit! The steaks still come sizzling & melt in your mouth- cooked to perfection! I prefer service/food (especially steaks & prime rib) way above Emerils, Brennans, Ruths Chris ANY DAY!Good Job Guys! It a GEM- I HIGHLY recommend it!!Special Features:
- Beautiful Restaurant, Amazing FoodLadyDeeDined on 8/8/2014I took my fiance here for his birthday hoping to surprise him with a fine dining experience, and Mr. John's delivered. The staff were prompt and friendly, and we were sat immediately. The wine list was extensive, though not enough white wine selections in my opinion. The food was amazing. I got the filet, and he got the surf and turf. Both our steaks were cooked as ordered, and they came out sizzling. They even surprised my fiance with a candle in his bread pudding. It's pricey but a great place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.