Mr. John's Steakhouse
2111 St. Charles Ave
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Mr. John's Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.mrjohnssteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (504) 679-7697
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chef Robert Bruce
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Mr. John's Steakhouse
Desi Vega, Rodney Salvaggio, Paul Varisco and staff, invite you to join them for a "memorable dining experience" at what food critic Tom Fitzmorris calls "The Best Steakhouse in the City." With regular visits from the Saints players and owners, most weekends are sold out. Mr. John's convenient location on historical St. Charles Avenue and valet parking makes for a pleasurable evening in the city!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Mr. John's Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Garden District ›
Mr. John's Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (124)romantic (72)fit for foodies (64)notable wine list (59)neighborhood gem (49)good for groups (44)scenic view (32)hot spot (15)late-night find (11)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014This was a great place to spend my anniversary. The food was fantastic and the service was even better. EXCELLENT! So much better than Ruth Chris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steakPaladinoDined on 11/15/2014I had the bone in cowboy ribeye steak was phenomenal. Nice wine selection, good service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steak, Fantastic ServiceMike068Dined on 11/15/2014The food was great but the service was better! Well done! We dined early following a matinee but never felt rushed and enjoyed a fantastic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints.LouisFromNOVIPDined on 11/14/2014Their steaks are consistently good. Their sides are equally good but do know that some of the sides and apps are unique to Mr. John's and may not satisfy everyone's taste. As for the service, they do an outstanding job. Very attentive but not overly so. This is our favorite steak house in NOLA.
- Didn't live up to the hypeJBAlcottDined on 11/13/2014Although my steak had a good flavor, the temperature was inconsistent. Also part of the steak was inedible due to the fat. I certainly expected more for the price. The mashed potatoes were lukewarm. We were expecting a "Wow" experience but it turned out rather ordinary.Special Features:
- Great steak!CentexfoodiesDined on 11/11/2014Hands down the best place we have eaten in NOLA and we've been to many fine dining places there. Get a reservation in early advance of your visit--especially on a weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CalliesDaddyCalliesDaddyDined on 11/8/2014First time visit and was really impressed. Service was top notch from the time I walked in the door. Steak cooked perfectly after describing how I liked to my waiter. Very good wine list reasonably priced. When they tell you "Don't touch the plate, it is very hot", you better believe them!Special Features:
- THE ABSOLUTE BEST!!!CC123Dined on 11/7/2014The best steaks we have had in years, by far. We will be Mr. John's regulars from now on. Keep up the great work!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant Everdine4everDined on 11/1/2014This was my first time ever going to Mr. John's restaurant. Therefore, Mr. John's is now my favorite restaurant! The food quality and customer service is OUTSTANDING! Also, I love the valet parking. I did not have to drive around looking for parking. As soon as you pull up to the restaurant, your dining experience begins. I was so impressed! Also, it was my husband's birthday. I love the little meatball with a candle. This idea is so cute and elegant.In my reservations, I put specific things that I desired. The hosts made sure all of my desires were met. The two guys that were my waiters were ENJOYABLE! They made the experience extra joyful, from recommendations of food to making my husband's birthday extra special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatTwo2dineDined on 11/1/2014Everything about Mr.John's was great. Great food, great service and great atmosphere. Most tables over look historic St. Charles Ave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Timer 10 year anniversary....BayoulifeDined on 10/30/2014My wife and I have been to several well known resturants in New Orleans in past years, mr. Johns was by far the best all around dining experience. We enjoyed the the serenity,service, and food of the resturant and after wards knew why weeks in advance reservation was needed. We started off with with wine turtle soup and crawfish crab bisque with side crystal hot sauce onion rings all were the best ever. My bone in ribeye and her regular ribeye were sizzling and still cooking so make sure order little less cooked because you can actually cook steak on plate as my wife did. The waiter did recommend the New York strip when asked with no hesitation but we enjoy ribeye which was the best steak we ever had. defiently be back and try the strip..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic steak as always!ElizabethDined on 10/28/2014My husband and I love this place. The steak and sides are wonderful. The service and ambiance make the evening special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Steahkouse in prime spotCHPPGNHCDined on 10/28/2014Passionate owners, fantastic steaks, outstanding service, wonderful sides, located in Garden District---Whay else could you ask for??!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreateatsalotVIPDined on 10/25/2014Mr. John's is, to me, the best steakhouse in New Orleans. As a local, it's at the top of my list for special occasions and I always recommend it to visitors. The ingredients are quality, the execution is consistent, the service is friendly and professional and the view of St. Charles Avenue cannot be beat.Special Features:
- Great place to dineGreatPlacetoEatDined on 10/24/2014My boss and I were able to dine at Mr. John's on Friday night after a busy day at a conference in town. It was my 3rd time at the restaurant & I was delighted that it was just as delicious as I remember from before. The food and atmosphere were wonderful & we enjoyed a well paced & delicious meal. I would highly recommend Mr. John's to other friends & business associates. Please keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehhOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014I had been waiting to try this place and I have to say I was not overly impressed. It was not bad by any means. The Freddie Mac&Cheese, mushrooms and asparagus were delicious, but I was expecting a much better steak. I will say the service was impeccable and the wine list extensive. Overall, mehh. There are much better places in the city for less outrageous prices.Special Features:
- Best SteaksRooster99Dined on 10/23/2014You can't go wrong is you want a great steak and outstanding service. I normally opt for the Filet, over and over because it's fantastic.Special Features:
- ExcellentaescottusDined on 10/21/2014When I made reservations I mentioned that it was our honeymoon. Upon being seated our waiter immediately wished us a happy honeymoon. Additionally they gave us a special treat or lagniappe in the New Orleans tradition. The food was excellent and I highly recommend you go there for a special occasion.Special Features:
- rwood4Dined on 10/17/2014Great place for a group dinner. Food is excellent! Have never been disapppointed! However, it took a little too long for the entres to come out. Enough that we were getting tired and running out of conversation; and we had lots to talk about! However, our waiter was great in checking in and making sure we always had bread and our drinks were full. So, jim compensated for having to wait for out food and made our dinner turn out to be very pleasantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as everGreatlittlespotVIPDined on 10/17/2014What more can I say, I've been to Mr. Johns on several occasions and I've never been disappointed. Coach Payton was dining with a group next to us so that was a little added bit conversation amongst our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jean BJeanBDined on 10/14/2014Great food and excellent service. My favorite steak in Nola!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencePeteetriusDined on 10/14/2014Every selection was delicious. A healthy well priced wine list. If you're in the area please go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect BirthdaySkipperDined on 10/11/2014I always enjoy the steaks and potatoes au gratin on special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMrosDined on 10/10/2014My boyfriend loves steak and for his 30th birthday a friend of mine recommended me Mr. John's. I had made reservation 5 days prior to our dinner and so glad I did because it was filling up quick. Service was great, the food was cooked at its perfection and blown is away! We ended the night with a tiramisu cake with a candle lit up for my boyfriend birthday. He was so surprised and loved every minute of it. Not to mention, we are from houston so it was our first time driving into New Orleans to celebrate! We look forward to coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurant on a great avenuepandkDined on 10/10/2014Food was excellent. Service was great. Restaurant on street car line. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Level RestaurantdavidbDined on 10/10/2014This restaurant was a breath of fresh air. Staff people, like the waiters, his helpers, floor manager were great. The food was awesome, from the appetizers, soup ( turtle, one of the best I had ), steaks, lobster, and finally the dessert . Waiters were very helpful in picking out good wines, knowledge of the specials, every dish that we quizzed him about. He even put a appetizer together that I wanted. The food came out in a very timely manner as not to rush us, but relaxed. We were 4 of us dinning, and no one had a single complaint on the food itself, except the steaks came out on very hot plates and my daughter, accidentally touched it after about 7 minutes and it burned her. I don't see a need for such a hot plate with splattering butterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Steak with Perfect WineDan77Dined on 10/9/2014Nice place in the Garden District with the usual trappings of a classic steakhouse: dark wood trim, white tablecloths and aprons, long wine list. We had the T-bone for two and it was cooked perfectly to medium, tasty, and juicy. The appetizers were great - we had grilled pineapple rings stuffed with crab, and a shrimp remoulade salad that had a wonderful dressing. They had Caymus 2012 CS 40th. Anniversary at a reasonable price, so we had a bottle of this excellent young cab which they decanted for us. Very attentive service. You will not be disappointed. Worth the ride out of the CBD.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerNeverAgainDined on 10/7/2014I was referred by to separate friends. Someone in the food and beverage industry and attorney friend from the area. My wife and I were celebrating our 19th wedding anniversary and were destine to have a good time. I was told we couldn't miss, best steak ever hands down. We arrived early sat at the bar for a couple drinks, then we were promptly sat at our table. It was busy great the food must be wonderful. The noise from people talking was so loud our waiter had to lean in to hear our order. We ordered salads, ribeyes, bake potato and garlic mashed potatoes. Salads were decent, the steaks we ordered one well done and the other medium well came out burnt. The garlic mashed tasted as if they were instant mash potatoes. Very disappointing!
- Excellent server and food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Our server Gindy was the best! The food was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barbbabyDined on 9/27/2014Everything I expected on a first visit. Celebrated a fun birthdaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food, great servicejk7957Dined on 9/26/2014Loved the food and service. Restaurant was a bit loud, which may turn some people off. Would definitely recommend it to anyone. This would be a great double date/group outing as it would allow you to talk freely across the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab cakes are a 10!MeauxDined on 9/26/2014Food was delish and service was fabulous. Crab cake were 98% crab meat. No fillers. Delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What I ExpectedSorelyDisappointedDined on 9/26/2014I ordered a rib-eye steak (medium well) and my spouse ordered stark (medium)-and-lobster, both dishes came with a la cart sides. The meals approached $200.00, with which I had no problem; except that my spouse and I are certain that the rib-eye was a lesser cut of meat masquerading as a rib-eye steak; i.e., tough, no marble, and full of gristle. Moreover, we were seated at a tiny table with not much space to accommodate our dishes. My spouse told me I should have informed the manager, but I am the "hate-to-cause-a scene" type of individual. I just vowed that I would never dine there again. The restaurant was highly recommended by a friend, so we chose the setting to celebrate our wedding anniversary.Special Features:
- Great place for a steak!MikeDined on 9/23/2014Mr. John's does not fail. The service is great; the food is good; and the atmosphere is welcoming. I had the rib-eye and it was one of the best I've had in years!Special Features:
- Fine Dining at its bestkdmcalesterDined on 9/20/2014We went here while in New Orleans for girls' weekend. No one had a compliant. The service was Top of the line. Very nice servers!! You water class was never empty. Eating space was always clean. New silverware for everything. Steaks season well. Huge Lobster tails. Fresh seafood. Just one of the best meal I have had in years.Special Features:
- Good food and elegant serviceTomgolfsDined on 9/20/2014Group of six all had steak, everyone was complimenting the selection since first time for all. We were about 15 minutes early but seated immediately and the service was also very prompt. The table side dishes were ample and each was very well prepared. Overall a good night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SJayVIPDined on 9/20/2014Best steak in NOLA! Porterhouse for 2 is it! Gindy Is def a tremendous waiter!!!Special Features:
- Liv2eatDined on 9/18/2014Get the strip.... Best steak in the city!!! Service is outstanding as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak in New OrleansLivandEllasdaddyDined on 9/16/2014Greg was me and my wife's waiter and he was exceptional. The service is actually a bit to much. I don't need a water or wine refill after only taking a sip or two. Who Dat Shrimp was delicious. After appetizer a homemade meatball was brought out. This was a great/unexpected treat. The filet was cooked perfectly and the hollondaise was a great compliment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigLouDined on 9/16/2014Always great. And when I cannot get in, I go to Desi Vega'sSpecial Features: