Mr. Chow - Malibu
3835 Cross Creek Rd., #18A
Malibu, CA 90265Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $50 and over
Mr. Chow - Malibu
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mrchow.com/main.html
- Phone: (310) 456-7600
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Executive Chef: Jia Chi Zhao
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Patio Buyout or Entire restaurant Buyout. Please call the restaurant for more details.
- Entertainment: Pasta Chef demonstrates traditional Chinese hand-made noodle making nightly.
Beijing Duck carved at the table.
A word from Mr. Chow - Malibu
Most recently awarded the 5 Star Diamond Award by the American Academy of Hospitality Sciences for its excellence, service, and cuisine this is the newest outpost of the legendary restaurateur MR CHOW located in the Malibu Country Mart. Our Executive Chefs are one of most respected chefs in Chinese cuisine. MR CHOW is a combination of old authentic Beijing, Original Recipes, and the signature dishes such as Chicken Satay, MR CHOW Noodles and Ma Mignon all were created by our passionate and skillful chefs. Also on the Menu is one of the best prepared Beijing Ducks in the world. The famous nightly handmade noodle show is presented in every location since the opening of London in 1968. Enjoy sipping on our Fresh Specialty Cocktails while enjoying the view from our beach-side outdoor patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
Mr. Chow - Malibu - Best Restaurants in Malibu ›
Mr. Chow - Malibu reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (18)special occasion (17)great for outdoor dining (15)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (11)hot spot (11)romantic (9)notable wine list (5)vibrant bar scene (5)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- It's cool to be at Mr. ChowImthebestDined on 11/9/2014the food is exceptional. the prices are not cheap, but you also get great food. the service is very good. they are not cheap on their help either. you feel rich, revived and it's a fresh place to eat for sure.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Expecting more, got much less. Based on it's popularity in Beverly Hills, we didn't get it. The four dishes we ordered were drab tasting. Only one stood out and that was the filet mignon...and only stood out because all the others were so tasteless. The flavors are there, but they just don't pop. The ambiance/vibe is totally wrong. It's Malibu, not Beverly Hills. Get rid of the linen table tops and servers' outfits. They are totally over the top formal and perhaps would be too much for any upscale restaurant. Although, the wait staff couldn't have more more attentive and gracious. We thought Mr. Chow is to Chinese as Nobu is to Japanese. We were wrong. I'm no restaurant expert, but I know it can be fixed with some adjustments.
- ShoeHenDined on 10/18/2014Mr. Chow Malibu took over the old Nobu location in the north west corner of the Malibu country mart and aside from a more modern, clean white decor, the place looks the same and the prices are comparable ($$$$). That said, the notable differences were the impeccable and knowledgeable service staff and the delicious dishes. I would recommend this place for a quiet date night (when you want to impress) or a group dinner but expect to pay the high prices of Malibu.Special Features:
- Stupidly Overpriced, Average FoodSpankyVIPDined on 10/12/2014Very average Chinese food, served by very nice staff, in a pleasant setting, for an absolutely Ridiculous Price. At almost a hundred dollars out the door per person without liquor, it was obvious that what was being sold was the name and being in Malibu. We used to enjoy Mr. Chow in Beverly Hills, but hadn't been in a few years, so we thought that we would try his Malibu restaurant. Big Mistake. if your idea of fun is paying fifty bucks for a Big Mac, you might be OK with this place. As you may has guessed, we won't make this mistake again.
- Chow's At The BeachMisterBDined on 10/7/2014As expected, the Malibu outpost of the venerable Chow family does not disappoint. Great place to go when you are in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Always looking forward to Mr. Chow.mikesfinedineVIPDined on 9/13/2014We always enjoy this location for Mr.Chow in Malibu. Seems easier to book compair to Beverly Hills location. Prices for glass of wine little hight, but food is great. Inc noodles my fav. We got great dessert or our Anniversary.We are regular customers. Thank you!Special Features:
- Been there - done that!MamaMia2uDined on 8/28/2014Nobu was fully booked so we settled on the new Mr. Chow's in Malibu. Very quiet evening --- very few diners. Pretty room. Good food. But the service was not up to Chow par. SO much prefer the Beverly Hills location. This one does not have the same charm at all. Service good in the beginning of the evening and then they disappeared. We had to ask for dirty dishes to be cleared away throughout the meal. Everyone was nice enough but a disappointment indeed on so many levels.
- 1st time experienceHolljacoDined on 8/27/2014Ate at the Malibu restaurant. Greetings were outstanding. Food was delicious. Very high priced.Special Features:
- ExceptionalColiss4darDined on 8/12/2014The staff are attentive and strive to make your experience with them perfect. We let them choose our meal for us. The food was exquisite. Mr. Chow Malibu was the perfect choice to have a family celebratory dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service, mediocre foodLuvGreatFoodDined on 8/9/2014Our party of 4 was seated 1 hour after our reservation time. We had to request our waiter several times. The food was fine but nothing special. We ordered all the house specials and not one impressed us.Special Features:
- The following 98 reviews are from the Mr. Chow - Malibu reviews archive.
- Great Place, Food and ServiceFoodDined on 7/26/2014They even placed a candle onto my desert as my birth day desert.Special Features:
- Best Chinese FoodGreat2dine42Dined on 7/26/2014The dishes are very tasty and the service is excellent. A bit loud on Saturday night. Overall really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeorgewithanoVIPDined on 7/26/2014We are life-long satisfied diners of Mr. Chow Beverly Hills, but the Malibu location was a huge disappointment. We arrived an hour before the kitchen closed, but the waiters were both inattentive and impatient. One of us actually had his plate taken from under him while in the middle of eating the last dumpling. The waiter forgot to bring the Mr. Chow noodles (the signature dish), and when we asked about them, he argued with us and insisted that he had brought them. He remarked that he could do nothing now because the kitchen was closed, but then he came back with a dish of noodles. They tasted odd, as though they had been reheated, but at that point, we just felt so unwelcome in the restaurant that we didn't say anything.
- Always ConsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/24/2014Every time we eat here the food is great the service is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- omnivoreDined on 7/24/2014The food was very good with good variety. Service was excellent. The price was highSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great service, expensiveDinesOutDined on 7/19/2014We did enjoy the food but the restaurant is very noisy and it seems a bit pricey for Chinese food. We made a reservation but were not seated for another 30 minutes or so, so it's a bit of a conundrum why they bother with reservations. Either that, or this "front desk" staff do not know what they are doing. The manager was very kind, checked in with us, made sure we were enjoying once we were seated. The service was impeccable! Definitely worth another try! P.S. The glazed shrimp is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love mr chow's!FOODKINGDined on 7/18/2014the food is always SO good...the wait/service staff are amongst the tops in the business...and the atmosphere is always fun but also the place is laid out so that you can have your own privacy.Special Features:
- Malibus Hong KongTorontoTimVIPDined on 7/13/2014Great spot for delicious chinese food. Amazing how accessible compared to Beverly Hills. Malibus best kept secret.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What's up with the Captain?foodyVIPDined on 7/10/2014The ambiance was off, this is Malibu - the "Captain" needs to loosen up, he was learking but not helpful. His crew was more competent but were not allowed to wait on us. The food was so so not as good as the Beverly Hills location. Malibu locals can see throuh the fine dining act.
- Not worth the hefty price taganonymousVIPDined on 7/6/2014Great location nestled in the back of the Malibu Country Mart, but not worth the overpriced food and lackluster ambiance. Save your money!!
- show stoppingkeeperVIPDined on 7/5/2014Mr. Chow's Malibu does everything right! Great experience! Great food! Perfect martini! Too bad it's in a shopping strip, but, they do wonders with their space! Totally enjoyed ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Total DisappointmentSS91320Dined on 7/5/2014The food was bland, service was mediocre. We had a $380 dinner for party of 4 with only one drink each and felt dupped. What a bunch of hype. I've eaten at many nice restaurants and never walked out feeling like this.
- Wonderful staffLuv2dineDined on 6/25/2014Food is always delicious Brian always takes care of me love seeing him there makes me feel like I'm at chows on 57th street NYC. Staff is great and always welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chow Chow Chow4periodDined on 6/14/2014Fun time at Mr. Chow at Cross Creek. Sat in outdoor patio and service was excellent. Great spot to impress a date or spouse. Don't miss the glazed prawns with walnuts!Special Features:
- Food wasnt good at allRockingLA2VIPDined on 6/13/2014Staff where professional Service was very good But food was not good.
- Sweet and SpicyDiningDelightsDined on 6/13/2014I loved this restaurant. The decor has such simple elegance, and the food is delicious. I recommend adding a dab of the chili sauce to the walnut prawns for a sweet and spicy flavor sensation.Special Features:
- probably best Chinese cuisine ever!skeeterDined on 5/27/2014Everything we tried was fantastic. Best chicken I've ever had at a chinese restaurant. Black pepper lobster was amazing. Loved Mr chows noodles. Had a cocktail called white sand with sake, lime and agave. Amazing had three of them. Service was outstanding. Roger was there for us from when we arrived all the way through and gave great recommendations every step of our meal. Hip hip hurray!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love love love!!!GreenemanVIPDined on 5/23/2014Can never go wrong with mr chows noodles - glazed walnut shrimp - shrimp with egg whites & Beijing chicken - baby Bok Choy & shrimp fried rice - trust the best of the best on the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely amazing!JenniferVIPDined on 5/16/2014My boyfriend and I frequent Mr. Chow often and every time it's absolutely amazing. Yes, it's pricy but the experience itself is absolutely worth it. I say experience because they do things differently that most restaurants. A team of people all with different responsibilities work closely together to service your table. It's highly efficient and results in spectacular service. I'm a lactose intolerant vegetarian and there are tons of options for me! Everything is share style, however you could order for yourself. I would highly suggest this restaurant! Tip: go during the week when the restaurant is not busy. Also, eat outside! It never gets too cold out there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love Mr.Chow!tulipe10Dined on 5/16/2014one of my favorite place for dining in Malibu, never disappointing The service is outstanding, and the food always delicious
- Culinary DelightKayByTheSeaDined on 5/16/2014Don't let the seemingly formal ambiance fool you - Mr. Chow's is very friendly and now offers a bar menu (and a tv - yeah). While the food is definitely expensive, the taste of every item is amazing and servings are ample. Take your time to order and you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TurnerTurnerDined on 5/8/2014I had out of town guests. VIP's in my book. We were very well attended to, and the entire place looked amazing.Special Features:
- Mr. Chows MalibuOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Tucked away in the back of cross creek, Mr. Chows is always a dreamy dining experience. Nowhere in Malibu, not Nobu, definitely not Nikita will you find such a fun, charming and exceptionally trained staff. The food is simply perfect, the silver champagne cart exquisite... The staff is clearly pleased to present to you their amazing cuisine. All white right down to the white orchids on the table, lit and glowing from underneath, to the HUGE bouquet of fragrant Casablanca Lillie's the ambiance is one of a clean white cloud. Intimate fine dinning that is somehow yet not stuffy or intimidating. "Gamblers Peking duck", scallops on the half shell, lobster vermicelli... You just can't go wrong. Go to Mr. Chows it is simply wonderful wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring a group for your first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014After reading YELP reviews, my expectations for Mr.Chow's Malibu outpost were low at best. Notwithstanding, the comment about getting food just as good for half the cost in the San Gabriel Valley. Apples and oranges. Go to Panda Express if your dining experience is based on cost alone. We arrived around 6PM on Friday and no one was there until 7PM, so my impression of the noise level may be flawed. The service was excellent. The ambiance was bright inside, romantic outside. I loved that they had 8 champagnes at various price points available by the glass. Of the 8 family-style dishes we tried, 2 were duds, 2 were average and 4 were fabulous. I was glad to have gone with 4 people so that we could sample much of the menu. Overall: A+Special Features:
- Food is excellentRicardoVIPDined on 4/12/2014It was a full restaurant on Saturday night in Malibu. The food was delicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter vs mater D (?)JupiterVIPDined on 3/22/2014Food was good but too expensive for the extremely small portions served. We had to wait approximately 15-20mn to be seated, even with a reservation via open table. After being seated, had to wait another 10-15mn to get a menu (?) I kept asking anyone working who passed the table, each one would say wait for the Mater D who sat us. When he finally came back to the table, he had the menus with him, but appeared very annoyed I ask others for a menu (?) very weird experience! There were no waiters per table, just the mater D??? However, lot's of Bus boys & other's working, but they didn't have authority to wait tables, get a menu or take an order? I'll Never go back there!!!Special Features:
- At least as fantastic as the othersChowfanDined on 3/2/2014I am a frequent Mr Chow diner in London, New York and Beverly Hills and this was the very first time I visited Mr Chow in Malibu. I can truly say that Mr Chow in Malibu is at least as good as its older colleague restaurants in every respect. As a matter of fact I would rate this restaurant as the leader of the pack when it comes to the service and possibly the food as well. The only odd thing we noticed was that the number of dinner guests this evening was unexpectedly low, but it could possibly be explained by the fact that it was the night of the Oscars in downtown LA, and it meant that the service level for the few guests in the restaurant most likely peaked this evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have heard so many differentOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/1/2014I have heard so many different reviews on this restaurant but I can't wait to go back. From the moment we walked in the service was amazing and the food delicious . Loved itSpecial Features:
- As good as I remember!MontrealFoddiesVIPDined on 2/23/2014As good as the LA location without the photogs and outdoor circusSpecial Features:
- LOVED!!!!MariDined on 2/22/2014TWO THUMBS UP ALL THE WAY! I received such great personalized service!!! We celebrated a dear friends bday, she was definitely made feel super special thanks to the whole staff there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.