MP Taverna - Irvington
1 Bridge Street
Irvington, NY 10533Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
MP Taverna - Irvington
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.michaelpsilakis.com/
- Phone: 9142317854
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday–Friday: 12:00pm – 3:00pm Dinner: Sunday–Thursday, 3:00pm–10:00pm Friday–Saturday, 3:00pm–11:00pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am – 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: Michael Psilakis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from MP Taverna - Irvington
Chef Michael Psilakis introduces his award-winning Greek-inspired cuisine to Westchester with the opening of MP Taverna, a modern interpretation of a traditional Greek tavern. MP Taverna’s accessible menu brings Psilakis’ Greek fare into the American culinary lexicon and is another step towards the chef’s goal of putting Greek cuisine on the culinary main stage. “The memories I have of cooking with my family are the inspiration for my restaurants, and I hope my guests create their own memories through their dining experiences at MP Taverna,” says Chef Michael Psilakis. “I want MP Taverna to be a destination for more than just a celebratory meal; a place that conjures the familiarity of your dining room table at home.”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
MP Taverna - Irvington - Best Restaurants in Irvington ›
MP Taverna - Irvington reviews from OpenTable diners
215 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (112)fit for foodies (111)special occasion (57)vibrant bar scene (45)good for groups (44)great for lunch (40)hot spot (32)notable wine list (24)romantic (21)great for outdoor dining (21)great for brunch (19)scenic view (16)kid-friendly (14)late-night find (7)Show More
- Great lunch place!Kay76Dined on 8/26/2014Food was terrific -- as always -- and except for the Greek coffee (recommended by my dining companion) everything about MP Taverna was "to love." Daily lunch specials are also nice, but the Grilled Pulled Salmon Salad was definitely a repeater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014excellent food! excellent service except for the guy at the reception desk who is very rude and condescending waiters are very professional and attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrooklynFoodieDined on 8/23/2014We arrived 10 mins late but were seated promptly. The service was attentive in spite of having 2 kids in our party. We had 2 grilled fish dishes and they both came up great - fresh with nice touch of herbs and vegetables. The octopus salad was almost to the perfection. We loved the casual atmosphere with the bar in the front and the formal dinning room in the back. Overall, it's a nice, pleasant dinning experience.Special Features:
- Maître d was arrogantExcellentDined on 8/22/2014My wife and I ordered the Greek Paella which the menu said was made with "spicy lamb sausage". The dish was quite peppered, well beyond my wife's tolerance and she sent it back. There had been no warning from our waitress about how hot the dish was. When I commented to the maître d that a warning was in order his response was "of course you should have known that the spicy lamb would have infused the whole sauce". Needless to say we got into a shouting match. (At least a loud conversation ) Further we came to celebrate my daughter's birthday and stated so on the reservation. The restaurant missed it totally. Again the maître d did not believe me and had to check the reservation. I Don't think I'm coming back soon.Special Features:
- Should have been better.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/22/2014Food was good, but not great. Appetizers were delicious, but main course arrived cold on a hot plate...fail! Service was terrible. Combination of inexperienced waitress and bad or no training. We expected better from Michael Psilakis!
- Overall great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014For apps, must try the crab croquettes, grilled octopus and pita bread with dips. Enjoyed the appetizers more than the entrees, but paella and lemon chicken were solid. Wish there were more health conscious desserts that aren't all so sweet, but tried the brownie and sorbet which were both great.Special Features:
- Superior Greek and MediterraneanJayPeeVIPDined on 8/19/2014Superb food. The salmon was sublime, cooked perfectly, and the octopus as always was excellent.Special Features:
- Never going backJimjimDined on 8/19/2014We asked to move from a booth to a table because the booth seats were very uncomfortable, which they did, and then never brought us menus , which we had to ask for after 15 minutes. Many diners who sat down after us got their food long before us, we had to ask numerous times where our food was. The managers's response to the lateness of our food was to tell us it will be worth the wait, which it was not. Lamb burgers were supposed to be done medium and were well done and tasteless. Manager sent one complimentary dessert for 4 people which was too little too late.
- Great foodAdamsVIPDined on 8/18/2014Totally enjoyed the Crab Croquettes!! WOW what a great appetizer! Had special Sole which was very good too. Enjoyed the food and the excellent service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but noisy!!Lisac4Dined on 8/18/2014I always liked this place but when we went there were a few large parties with many noisy kids!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunch, as usualKay76Dined on 8/18/2014Even though it was a quiet August Monday and the dining area wasn't as crowded as it usually is, everything about MP Taverna was great! The Grilled Pulled Salmon Salad I had was exceptional in every way, and my friend's burger plate was cooked exactly as ordered. Instead of wine, both of us had iced coffee, which was unusually good coffee and truly a treat on a hot day. The crusty bread served prior to entrée was heated and served with very good olive oil. Neither of us had dessert, so I can't comment on that. As always, the service was attentive but not over-bearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jskpDined on 8/17/2014I have been many times and have never been disappointed. The food is fabulous - I crave the lemon chicken and smashed fries. Can't ask for more attentive and knowledgeable wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good placeGoodfoodjunkieDined on 8/16/2014Really enjoyed dinner. The lamb was delicious. The crab croquettes were great too. Good wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ViewerVIPDined on 8/11/2014In a town replete with excellent dining options, MP Taverna is a standout. Warm service, cool design, and really great modern-Greek food.Special Features:
- cszrbDined on 8/11/2014Never disappoints,,,this is one of my favorites...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GreeklentarVIPDined on 8/9/2014Really nice menu choices. Very extensive selection of fish, simply prepared- I had the Lavraki ( a Mediterranean sea bass special)- fresh and delicious. My husband had an unusual and tasty pasta with lamb sausage and cheese. I would say desserts are the weak link-- need more use of seasonal fruits.Special Features:
- GrammyVIPDined on 8/9/2014This was not our first time dining at this restaurant, which is a good thing, because for there was a glitch in the service. our past servers have been exemplary as is the food. This has made for an unbeatable combination, and we have brought several sets of friends new to the restaurant when we come. This time, the server wrote down my order incorrectly, and when it came, she didn't offer one word of apology, but brought me a menu and told me to order something else, which I refused to do because I didn't want to be eating my dinner after the other 3 at the table had finished. The manager graciously brought me what I ordered which he took from another order. We will still go back but the server should have responded differently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and fantasticNoraVIPDined on 8/9/2014Was skeptical from all the hype in West. Mag. But would be easy to follow Mediterranean diet if I could eat here every day. After lunch, the 4 of us went to see new film by our god, Woody Allen, and all we talked about after was the meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceGardenweaselVIPDined on 8/9/2014Have been here several times. Staff very friendly & attentive. Food was 50/50 this time- excellent octopus, lemon chicken,smashed fries Didn't care for crab cakes or lamb burger . Outside dining looked appealing but was full. I still recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meal started well...Midtown48VIPDined on 7/27/2014When we first arrived, the restaurant was not crowded and we received prompt attention and service. Appetizers and main courses came quickly and were delicious. As things got busier it became harder to get anyone's attention - it took over 30 mins to get two brownies delivered to the table and that was after we inquired and were told"the kitchen forgot" - they should have been on the house! A woman at the next table went to the bar and brought her own drink back. I wish I could say the service issue was the first time we experienced that but unfortunately it was not! For some reason restrooms were out of order too!
- Always greatcatcatDined on 7/26/2014Good service, fun atmosphere that's just the right amount of casual and great food. Noise level a little high bit the ace is hopping!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ServiceBrrrrDined on 7/24/2014Greek food at its finest. Server described varoius dishes we asked about and we got exactly what he described. Wine and beer list will not disappoint. We decided to dine outside only because it was a beautiful summer nite but the interior space was very well furnished and interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerFamilyof5Dined on 7/23/2014My wife's MP salad was very good, my beet salad was fantastic. We both ordered specials - Gamelli pasta with mushroom & cheese, and a scallop risotto in a red sauce. We overheard brief comments from two tables next to ours, both very complimentary.Special Features:
- Retirement CelebrationBDayDined on 7/23/2014We took a family member out to celebrate her retirement. It was a great night. Steven, a lovely young chap I spoke with earlier offered us a classy serving of Proseco to start the evening. It was enjoyed and appreciated. Our waiter, Lupe took great care of us. A consistently wonderful restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodmsjanet16Dined on 7/23/2014Just tried MP Taverna for the first time. Best piece of fish i have ever eaten. (grilled branzino). The Beet Salad was also spectacular. Very friendly attentive service as well. Hope to be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around solid Greek foodjpat2798Dined on 7/21/2014We've been to MP Taverna about a dozen times since they opened a few years ago, and they've never dissappointed. Solid food at not-exorbitant prices! If you're looking for a more scenic view, however, you'd be better off at the Red Hat which is in the same complex.Special Features:
- The worst meal everDianaLDined on 7/19/2014Terrible waitress... bass fish came with bones and was totally over cooked. You couldn't eat it, with out almost choaking on the bones, which you couldn't see because the lighting was so dim, very dangerous.... and when I mentioned it to the waitress..she said " I know " They said I could order something else. I ordered crab cakes- they were cold and mushy, and greasy meal balls, that looked like meat sause for pasta. Also cold and terrible. I big let down, they can't handle Saturday night rush with terrible wait staff and poor quality cooking..I went home hungry and I never complain about food, but this was the worst !Special Features:
- TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/19/2014This was my second visit and I will return. Excellent menu, food and service.Special Features:
- OMGRobbieGDined on 7/18/2014This was our first visit after trying to get a table for months. Everything was great, food was melt in your mouth good. Service was outstanding, very knowledgable waiter who was friendly and gave good recommendations. Up scale Greek, highly recommended. One of the best I've ever been to. Atmosphere was a bit noisy, but convivial, and who cares, the food was awesome. Those reviewers I've seen that have complained about slow service don't appreciate that great cooking takes time. If you're in a hurry, go to a fast food crap joint. If you want a superior dining experience, try this place.Special Features:
- Great place!IlovetoeatDined on 7/18/2014I live in Irvington and we have a plethora of great restaurants in the river town area. MP is one of my favorites. Whether to stop by for a drink, dinner with friends or a night out with my wife, MP never disappoints. Try the Angora cocktail and don't miss the octopus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over zealous bus boysMimiVIPDined on 7/18/2014I have been to this restaurant many times. It is one of my favorites. However the other night I brought guests and was embarrassed at how we were rushed. As we enjoyed our appetizer, dinner was placed in front of us. Then as each diner was finished plates were removed one at a time. They tried to remove my plate 3-4 times while I was still eating. We finished the dip platter for dessert. Excellent food but the wait staff must be better trained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where has service gone?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014A spur of the moment decision to dine at MP Taverna did not disappoint. Food is always fabulous! A nice specialty cocktail (Sandman) started off the evening, and our appetizers were delicious. The chick pea dip (and the excellent zucchini) was a great way to start. Salad with fruit and nuts (very light on fruit) was very good. My husband loved his lamb burger. I had an excellent flank steak and greek sausage. The smashed fries that came with our dinners are not to be missed! My only disappointment was service. Impersonal - our server obviously was too busy or really shouldn't be in the service business. Appetizer wasn't cleared - just shoved aside when dinner came. No conversation, just to deliver food and check. I would expect more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice mealArdsleyDinerDined on 7/13/2014We had dinner on a Sunday night, the restaurant was about half to 2/3 full. We each had a special cocktail, which we enjoyed. My husband had the mixed grill, and I had the sliders and barley salad, which I enjoyed very much. Our server disappeared once our food was served, so it took a while to find him so we could get our check. Overall the food was yummy!Special Features:
- MP Taverna SteakhouseGary55Dined on 7/13/2014Try the recently added MP Steak menu shown on the back of the specials menu, which features 45 day aged prime black angus beef for 2 people including 2 sides of your choice. I shared the NY Strip with my son which is served sliced with lemon and garlic- comes with the bone and was big, thick, juicy and delicious. They also feature a porterhouse and rib eye steak for 2 as well, all prime grade quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotjzwestchesterVIPDined on 7/10/2014First class food in a nice atmosphere with wonderful service. There's nothing not to like. Great job all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good...not greatUnderstaffedDined on 7/9/2014Food was very good, but that is only part of the experience. Service was subpar. You could see they were understaffed. Hostess was running out plates. Our meals were placed at different times. Had to search and flag down our waitress for drinks all night. Add some staff, experience would be better. Simple formula.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2014Service was very poor. Slow and kept on messing what was coming out of the kitchen. Food was decent but tough to enjoy because everything was slow and getting messed up. Took about 20 minutes to get second bottle of wine. Manager new things were not going smoothley but refused to look at my table's direction.
- just perfectzellaDined on 7/4/2014With a gorgeous setting, delicious food, moderate prices and stellar service, MP is just perfect! I love the casual atmosphere and especially the way the room stays pretty quiet even when most tables are full. Don't forget to save room for dessert - parsnip cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NewtoreviewsDined on 7/3/2014First time at good neighborhood restaurant. Special occasion. Asked for but not given private table. Good for groups but not for twosomes. Also noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!psychetVIPDined on 6/29/2014Excellent food, service, ambience. Always enjoy our dinners here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.