MP Taverna - Irvington
1 Bridge Street
Irvington, NY 10533Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
MP Taverna - Irvington
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.michaelpsilakis.com/
- Phone: 9142317854
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday–Friday: 12:00pm – 3:00pm Dinner: Sunday–Thursday, 3:00pm–10:00pm Friday–Saturday, 3:00pm–11:00pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am – 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: Michael Psilakis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from MP Taverna - Irvington
Chef Michael Psilakis introduces his award-winning Greek-inspired cuisine to Westchester with the opening of MP Taverna, a modern interpretation of a traditional Greek tavern. MP Taverna’s accessible menu brings Psilakis’ Greek fare into the American culinary lexicon and is another step towards the chef’s goal of putting Greek cuisine on the culinary main stage. “The memories I have of cooking with my family are the inspiration for my restaurants, and I hope my guests create their own memories through their dining experiences at MP Taverna,” says Chef Michael Psilakis. “I want MP Taverna to be a destination for more than just a celebratory meal; a place that conjures the familiarity of your dining room table at home.”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
MP Taverna - Irvington reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (96)neighborhood gem (84)special occasion (49)good for groups (40)vibrant bar scene (38)hot spot (33)great for lunch (28)notable wine list (27)romantic (15)kid-friendly (13)great for outdoor dining (13)great for brunch (12)scenic view (10)late-night find (3)Show More
- Expected and deliveredWhyWhyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Brought visiting friends and were not disappointed. The food is consistently good, wine by the glass or bottle makes a good match. You have time to enjoy the food, the vibes and the party you are with.Special Features:
- irisnfrankDined on 10/16/2014Terrific food. The tastes of the food melt in your mouth. Terrific wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood placemimiDined on 10/11/2014Friendly service, good food, child friendly, lots of them on a Sat. night. It's a casual, relaxed white table cloth, neighborhood place next to the train. Good for city folk who who seek a casual, out of city experience where they can hop off and on the train. The decor is nothing to speak of, but it is nice to see the warmth of exposed old wood beams. The bar set is generally younger than the dinning room crowd. Lots of bar people seem glued to the large screen TV over the bar. So I guess this area serves as an upscale sports bar.Special Features:
- Delightful with a side of garlic!ScoonutDined on 10/7/2014Interesting and tempting offerings that you definitely could not make at home...my favorite kind of place. My only caution is if you don't like garlic, talk to the server to guide you. But fortunately it is one if our favorite things so we enjoyed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A sure thing...RaulVIPDined on 10/5/2014As always, our visit to MP Taverna was an excellent experience. The food is great (don't miss the octopus!!!), the service courteous and what you get for your money is incredibly reasonable. Will continue to be one of our favorite places out of New York City.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 10/5/2014Fantastic restaurant. We frequent the Astoria MP. This is just as good.Special Features:
- The blazeTesheDined on 10/5/2014Went to mp taverna before heading over to the blaze. Got there 5pm first ones to be seated though not for long. Food was excellent the butternut squash purée was a particular favorite. Our server was new a bit eager not able to answer questions regarding certain dishes though he did ask and came back with the answers. IT was busy a little boisterous but that was fine with my group we were out for a day of enjoying the Hudson valley and the more the merrier. Would definitely recommend to others and will return next time I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish Lovers DelightDianeVIPDined on 10/5/2014This is our third time here. No one could possibly duplicate a better fish menu. Prepared beyond description. Other items on the menu which my husband enjoyed but I come to MP Taverna, Irvington for their fish. The excellent staff with their knowledgeable answers to preparation of each dish only enhances the experience. Thank you MP Taverna.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a winnercszrbDined on 10/4/2014We love mp taverna. Well located to meet friends from nyc on our turf, we return time after time. Food is consistently great. This particular time i asked our server for a "big favor"..craving the fabulous smashed fries, I asked to exchange the potatoes that come with my favorite dish..lemon roasted chicken. The kitchen didnot/ wouldnot comply... Not nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/3/2014Best seafood in the Rivertowns. Delicious take on the modern Greek; excellent wine selection and always consistent quality.Special Features:
- Great Food - Reasonable PricesLelandoVIPDined on 9/29/2014Great greek food and a fair value. The wine list is also fairly priced. This restaurant is always on our standard once a month list.Special Features:
- Great place for all!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014Love the appetizers, the meal and enjoyed every minute with my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Healthy FoodShari70Dined on 9/13/2014We so enjoyed our dinner. The food was excellent, great crowd and excellent service. I eat very healthy and found so many choices including a Greek yogurt desert with healthy, crunchy nuts and grains. The bronzinos we had were perfectly grilled. Great crowd of mixed ages. Beautiful bar. Can't wait to go back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a word: Yum!TheNYFunOnesVIPDined on 9/13/2014We go here regularly. We are seated promptly. The staff is attentive. The restaurant itself is nicely appointed and restrooms are scrupulously clean. Last but not least, the food and drink are consistently delicious, and are a good value with ample portion size. The lemon chicken, and the gnocchi/dumplings are not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AnniversaryFruhlingDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I just went to MP Taverna for our anniversary and I have to say it was fabulous. I didn't know what to expect since the food is based on a Greek format. After having the meatball I knew this was going to be a great meal. We were seated right away. They put the yummy hard crusted bread down on the table as soon as we sat and I knew from there it would be a great night. From the drinks to the meals to the ice cream we wanted maple walnut and but they were out :(. Everything was great. Loved the service.. they kept our water glasses filled and the table clear. It was not overbearing as some servers/bus boys can be. I highly recommend MP Taverna for a great night out without the kids!!! Go... you wont be disappointed.Special Features:
- OK but nothing moreSkipBuzzVIPDined on 9/11/2014Nicely designed,spacious eatery with separate bar(cocktails are well made) and outdoor dining area.Place is quite big and has a row of booths along one wall. Could get boisterous when full but barely a third full on this late summer evening.Menu is heavily Mediterranean with many Greek accents. Octopus,roast tomato soup,and roast beet salad with fennel and goat cheese was very good. Dorade, greek seafood paella, branzino were merely OK. Paella was gritty and full of small broken shells.Wine list extensive and affordable. Service a bit bumbling and rather inattentive.
- Will eagerly go backCSFHDined on 9/7/2014The menu had many enticing choices, and everyone in our group of 6 was very satisfied with his and her orders. The waiter was friendly and accommodating. On the Sunday evening that we were there, the restaurant had only a handful of patrons, so the noise level was comfortably low. For some reason, though I had tried to make a reservation for a later time through Open Table, I was prevented from doing so, but as I saw, the restaurant had many, many tables available for the time I had originally requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasurebertie0130Dined on 9/6/2014We have been to MP Taverna many times. Truly our favorite Westchester restaurant. The aged feta is heavenly and they do fish like no one else! We love the branzino and paella. Great cocktails and wine list. There is an easy unpretentious vibe, attentive staff. An excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WILL RETURNPaulDined on 9/6/2014All in all my dining experience was very good. Suggest that the bartender brush up on his or her Tom Collins recipe because we had to return it and ordered a different drink. Had the seafood paella which was described as shellfish with spicy lamb sausage. Turns out the whole dish was spicy but despite my eyes tearing and nose running I survived the meal. Grilled octpus app. and dried fruit salad excellent as usual. Will definitely return because the place is great and the service is always very attentive.Special Features:
- whats2eatDined on 9/6/2014Was there on a Sat. night with my husband. We were pleased with the food, though my side vegetables were cold; bronzino done beautifully, but sides no good. It was too crowded and tables up against each other. My chair stuck out and was bumped in to several times and we asked to move. The wait staff was very pleasant but seemed completely overwhelmed. We love greek food and we would go back… just for lunch or an early weekday dinner - never on a weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing some lusterHudsonValleyFoodieVIPDined on 9/1/2014We recently dined with them early in the evening on a holiday - while we had a reservation and the restaurant was fairly empty, they seated us right next to the kitchen. We had fish dishes, both of which were just ok. We started with salads, which also weren't outstanding - even the heirloom tomato salad. I just feel like they're not trying anymore.
- It was okayHBHBDined on 8/29/2014Nice enough, but not memorable. Fish special was average, osso bucco tasted okay, but not hot enough. It probably stayed too long in the kitchen. Prices were reasonable, staff was nice, so "okay" seems like an accurate review.
- Great lunch place!Kay76Dined on 8/26/2014Food was terrific -- as always -- and except for the Greek coffee (recommended by my dining companion) everything about MP Taverna was "to love." Daily lunch specials are also nice, but the Grilled Pulled Salmon Salad was definitely a repeater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodJoe123456Dined on 8/24/2014excellent food! excellent service except for the guy at the reception desk who is very rude and condescending waiters are very professional and attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrooklynFoodieDined on 8/23/2014We arrived 10 mins late but were seated promptly. The service was attentive in spite of having 2 kids in our party. We had 2 grilled fish dishes and they both came up great - fresh with nice touch of herbs and vegetables. The octopus salad was almost to the perfection. We loved the casual atmosphere with the bar in the front and the formal dinning room in the back. Overall, it's a nice, pleasant dinning experience.Special Features:
- Maître d was arrogantExcellentDined on 8/22/2014My wife and I ordered the Greek Paella which the menu said was made with "spicy lamb sausage". The dish was quite peppered, well beyond my wife's tolerance and she sent it back. There had been no warning from our waitress about how hot the dish was. When I commented to the maître d that a warning was in order his response was "of course you should have known that the spicy lamb would have infused the whole sauce". Needless to say we got into a shouting match. (At least a loud conversation ) Further we came to celebrate my daughter's birthday and stated so on the reservation. The restaurant missed it totally. Again the maître d did not believe me and had to check the reservation. I Don't think I'm coming back soon.Special Features:
- Should have been better.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/22/2014Food was good, but not great. Appetizers were delicious, but main course arrived cold on a hot plate...fail! Service was terrible. Combination of inexperienced waitress and bad or no training. We expected better from Michael Psilakis!
- Overall great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/21/2014For apps, must try the crab croquettes, grilled octopus and pita bread with dips. Enjoyed the appetizers more than the entrees, but paella and lemon chicken were solid. Wish there were more health conscious desserts that aren't all so sweet, but tried the brownie and sorbet which were both great.Special Features:
- Superior Greek and MediterraneanJayPeeVIPDined on 8/19/2014Superb food. The salmon was sublime, cooked perfectly, and the octopus as always was excellent.Special Features:
- Never going backJimjimDined on 8/19/2014We asked to move from a booth to a table because the booth seats were very uncomfortable, which they did, and then never brought us menus , which we had to ask for after 15 minutes. Many diners who sat down after us got their food long before us, we had to ask numerous times where our food was. The managers's response to the lateness of our food was to tell us it will be worth the wait, which it was not. Lamb burgers were supposed to be done medium and were well done and tasteless. Manager sent one complimentary dessert for 4 people which was too little too late.
- Great foodAdamsVIPDined on 8/18/2014Totally enjoyed the Crab Croquettes!! WOW what a great appetizer! Had special Sole which was very good too. Enjoyed the food and the excellent service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but noisy!!Lisac4Dined on 8/18/2014I always liked this place but when we went there were a few large parties with many noisy kids!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunch, as usualKay76Dined on 8/18/2014Even though it was a quiet August Monday and the dining area wasn't as crowded as it usually is, everything about MP Taverna was great! The Grilled Pulled Salmon Salad I had was exceptional in every way, and my friend's burger plate was cooked exactly as ordered. Instead of wine, both of us had iced coffee, which was unusually good coffee and truly a treat on a hot day. The crusty bread served prior to entrée was heated and served with very good olive oil. Neither of us had dessert, so I can't comment on that. As always, the service was attentive but not over-bearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jskpDined on 8/17/2014I have been many times and have never been disappointed. The food is fabulous - I crave the lemon chicken and smashed fries. Can't ask for more attentive and knowledgeable wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good placeGoodfoodjunkieDined on 8/16/2014Really enjoyed dinner. The lamb was delicious. The crab croquettes were great too. Good wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ViewerVIPDined on 8/11/2014In a town replete with excellent dining options, MP Taverna is a standout. Warm service, cool design, and really great modern-Greek food.Special Features:
- cszrbDined on 8/11/2014Never disappoints,,,this is one of my favorites...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GreeklentarVIPDined on 8/9/2014Really nice menu choices. Very extensive selection of fish, simply prepared- I had the Lavraki ( a Mediterranean sea bass special)- fresh and delicious. My husband had an unusual and tasty pasta with lamb sausage and cheese. I would say desserts are the weak link-- need more use of seasonal fruits.Special Features:
- GrammyVIPDined on 8/9/2014This was not our first time dining at this restaurant, which is a good thing, because for there was a glitch in the service. our past servers have been exemplary as is the food. This has made for an unbeatable combination, and we have brought several sets of friends new to the restaurant when we come. This time, the server wrote down my order incorrectly, and when it came, she didn't offer one word of apology, but brought me a menu and told me to order something else, which I refused to do because I didn't want to be eating my dinner after the other 3 at the table had finished. The manager graciously brought me what I ordered which he took from another order. We will still go back but the server should have responded differently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and fantasticNoraVIPDined on 8/9/2014Was skeptical from all the hype in West. Mag. But would be easy to follow Mediterranean diet if I could eat here every day. After lunch, the 4 of us went to see new film by our god, Woody Allen, and all we talked about after was the meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.