MP Taverna - Irvington
1 Bridge Street
Irvington, NY 10533Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
MP Taverna - Irvington
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.michaelpsilakis.com/
- Phone: (914) 231-7854
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday–Friday: 12:00pm – 3:00pm Dinner: Sunday–Thursday, 3:00pm–10:00pm Friday–Saturday, 3:00pm–11:00pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am – 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: Michael Psilakis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from MP Taverna - Irvington
Chef Michael Psilakis introduces his award-winning Greek-inspired cuisine to Westchester with the opening of MP Taverna, a modern interpretation of a traditional Greek tavern. MP Taverna’s accessible menu brings Psilakis’ Greek fare into the American culinary lexicon and is another step towards the chef’s goal of putting Greek cuisine on the culinary main stage. “The memories I have of cooking with my family are the inspiration for my restaurants, and I hope my guests create their own memories through their dining experiences at MP Taverna,” says Chef Michael Psilakis. “I want MP Taverna to be a destination for more than just a celebratory meal; a place that conjures the familiarity of your dining room table at home.”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
MP Taverna - Irvington reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (93)neighborhood gem (80)good for groups (45)special occasion (40)vibrant bar scene (38)hot spot (34)great for lunch (28)notable wine list (26)kid-friendly (14)romantic (13)scenic view (9)great for outdoor dining (8)great for brunch (8)late-night find (5)Show More
- MP TavernamimiDined on 11/23/2014We have been going back to MP Taverna for pleasant dinners on the weekends. There are always families with children there so I hesitate to say it is a romantic date place. The food is good. I don't like that they don't have much in the way of sides on the plates but the main dish, fish etc is always good and sufficient. The house salad was so large three of us split it and there was plenty for all. But without that there were like 3 tiny split potatoes on the plate with the fish and 3 split tiny tomatoes. That's a bit low for side dishes in my book. Also they use a lot of black pepper which I am not a fan of. If you are like me, tell them to leave off the black pepper. We didn't care too much for the desserts. The "parfait" was not the way you would ever expect it, the sorbet was o.k but not memorable. But they do seem to take food allergies seriously and so far I have had no trouble with my serious gluten intolerance issues while eating there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StaceyDined on 11/17/2014The service was exceptional and the food delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for any occasionPaulDined on 11/13/2014From appetizers to desert everything was great. Not your ordinary Greek selections. Innovative, tasty and portions are ample. Service is always courteous and efficient. One of my favorite places to dine for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itkareenaDined on 11/11/2014went here for restaurant week, and all three courses were great - appetizer, entree and dessert. The place is large, with both booths and tables and a large bar in front. I have nothing negative to say about La Taverna. I also had a wonderful glass of Greek wine since I always order wine from the restaurant's ethnic bent. Excellent place!Special Features:
- greek2meVIPDined on 11/10/2014The food is very good. We had been to MPT in Astoria before. Be warned. The appetizers are very large portions. Some could easily pass for main dishes. The octopus is always wonderful. I wish they would change the chairs in the dining room. The straight backed chairs are very uncomfortable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service poorWinoDined on 11/9/2014The service was poor. The food was so-so. Soup had good flavors, but the crab cakes were unexciting. Wine list by the glass needs loads of help -- more offerings and greater variety
- Another delish mealKbg351VIPDined on 11/8/2014We had a lovely and tasty meal.. MP salad was very good. Rack of lamb was superb! And apple Napoleon was yum yum.,Special Features:
- Never let down!FunfoodieDined on 11/1/2014Love this place! So close to the train and easy to get to. The food is consistently awesome! Bartenders are wonderful and service is spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tangogirlsDined on 11/1/2014Never had a bad meal here and even on a packed saturday night had good food and service. The trout was cooked perfectly. Mfky friend had the baramundo which was also suiperb. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- consistently goodlocavore51VIPDined on 11/1/2014all the plates were great - especially the greek paella with orzo and rack of lamb - and service was especially good. sometimes in the past, staff seemed a little shorthanded, but everybody was very helpful. regardless, the staff is always pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't forget MP TavernaFrequentDinerDined on 10/31/2014Welcoming local restaurant with a great wine list, very good food, and a pleasant atmosphere--much more pleasant, in many respects, than the popular, noisy restaurant around the corner with so-so food. This may become one of our favorite local go-to establishments.Special Features:
- Fun and dependable greek tavernaEaterVIPDined on 10/24/2014So glad to have mp taverna in Irvington. Always good food and really nice energetic atmosphere. The fried potatoes are irresistible. Seafood is excellent.The Greek lamb burger could use a bit of improvement though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good food, busySwk5VIPDined on 10/24/2014The food was very good, a little expensive, and while tables were not on top of each other, it was still to me, pretty noisy. The dip trio was delicious! Bar is energetic and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth A VisitjamberryjamDined on 10/24/2014Had our first meal here and will be back for more. Menu was creative and every item was tempting. We were very satisfied with our choices. We had very pleasant and experienced wait staff too. All and all a great new addition to our list of "local" restaurantsSpecial Features:
- Gathering with FriendsAmy13Dined on 10/23/2014The food was interesting and good tasting; however, the service was VERY slow… it took almost 30 minutes to get a waiter to take our dinner order in a half filled dining room. Suggest they hire more servers or better train their staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected and deliveredWhyWhyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Brought visiting friends and were not disappointed. The food is consistently good, wine by the glass or bottle makes a good match. You have time to enjoy the food, the vibes and the party you are with.Special Features:
- Good as usualNickDined on 10/17/2014Food is excellent. Place is nice. The only criticism is it's kind of "old." Not as fun of a night out for me and my wife, both 30.Special Features:
- irisnfrankDined on 10/16/2014Terrific food. The tastes of the food melt in your mouth. Terrific wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice neighborhood placemimiDined on 10/11/2014Friendly service, good food, child friendly, lots of them on a Sat. night. It's a casual, relaxed white table cloth, neighborhood place next to the train. Good for city folk who who seek a casual, out of city experience where they can hop off and on the train. The decor is nothing to speak of, but it is nice to see the warmth of exposed old wood beams. The bar set is generally younger than the dinning room crowd. Lots of bar people seem glued to the large screen TV over the bar. So I guess this area serves as an upscale sports bar.Special Features:
- Delightful with a side of garlic!ScoonutVIPDined on 10/7/2014Interesting and tempting offerings that you definitely could not make at home...my favorite kind of place. My only caution is if you don't like garlic, talk to the server to guide you. But fortunately it is one if our favorite things so we enjoyed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A sure thing...RaulVIPDined on 10/5/2014As always, our visit to MP Taverna was an excellent experience. The food is great (don't miss the octopus!!!), the service courteous and what you get for your money is incredibly reasonable. Will continue to be one of our favorite places out of New York City.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 10/5/2014Fantastic restaurant. We frequent the Astoria MP. This is just as good.Special Features:
- The blazeTesheDined on 10/5/2014Went to mp taverna before heading over to the blaze. Got there 5pm first ones to be seated though not for long. Food was excellent the butternut squash purée was a particular favorite. Our server was new a bit eager not able to answer questions regarding certain dishes though he did ask and came back with the answers. IT was busy a little boisterous but that was fine with my group we were out for a day of enjoying the Hudson valley and the more the merrier. Would definitely recommend to others and will return next time I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish Lovers DelightDianeVIPDined on 10/5/2014This is our third time here. No one could possibly duplicate a better fish menu. Prepared beyond description. Other items on the menu which my husband enjoyed but I come to MP Taverna, Irvington for their fish. The excellent staff with their knowledgeable answers to preparation of each dish only enhances the experience. Thank you MP Taverna.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a winnercszrbDined on 10/4/2014We love mp taverna. Well located to meet friends from nyc on our turf, we return time after time. Food is consistently great. This particular time i asked our server for a "big favor"..craving the fabulous smashed fries, I asked to exchange the potatoes that come with my favorite dish..lemon roasted chicken. The kitchen didnot/ wouldnot comply... Not nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/3/2014Best seafood in the Rivertowns. Delicious take on the modern Greek; excellent wine selection and always consistent quality.Special Features:
- Great Food - Reasonable PricesLelandoVIPDined on 9/29/2014Great greek food and a fair value. The wine list is also fairly priced. This restaurant is always on our standard once a month list.Special Features:
- Great place for all!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014Love the appetizers, the meal and enjoyed every minute with my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Healthy FoodShari70Dined on 9/13/2014We so enjoyed our dinner. The food was excellent, great crowd and excellent service. I eat very healthy and found so many choices including a Greek yogurt desert with healthy, crunchy nuts and grains. The bronzinos we had were perfectly grilled. Great crowd of mixed ages. Beautiful bar. Can't wait to go back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In a word: Yum!TheNYFunOnesVIPDined on 9/13/2014We go here regularly. We are seated promptly. The staff is attentive. The restaurant itself is nicely appointed and restrooms are scrupulously clean. Last but not least, the food and drink are consistently delicious, and are a good value with ample portion size. The lemon chicken, and the gnocchi/dumplings are not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy AnniversaryFruhlingDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I just went to MP Taverna for our anniversary and I have to say it was fabulous. I didn't know what to expect since the food is based on a Greek format. After having the meatball I knew this was going to be a great meal. We were seated right away. They put the yummy hard crusted bread down on the table as soon as we sat and I knew from there it would be a great night. From the drinks to the meals to the ice cream we wanted maple walnut and but they were out :(. Everything was great. Loved the service.. they kept our water glasses filled and the table clear. It was not overbearing as some servers/bus boys can be. I highly recommend MP Taverna for a great night out without the kids!!! Go... you wont be disappointed.Special Features:
- OK but nothing moreSkipBuzzVIPDined on 9/11/2014Nicely designed,spacious eatery with separate bar(cocktails are well made) and outdoor dining area.Place is quite big and has a row of booths along one wall. Could get boisterous when full but barely a third full on this late summer evening.Menu is heavily Mediterranean with many Greek accents. Octopus,roast tomato soup,and roast beet salad with fennel and goat cheese was very good. Dorade, greek seafood paella, branzino were merely OK. Paella was gritty and full of small broken shells.Wine list extensive and affordable. Service a bit bumbling and rather inattentive.
- Will eagerly go backCSFHDined on 9/7/2014The menu had many enticing choices, and everyone in our group of 6 was very satisfied with his and her orders. The waiter was friendly and accommodating. On the Sunday evening that we were there, the restaurant had only a handful of patrons, so the noise level was comfortably low. For some reason, though I had tried to make a reservation for a later time through Open Table, I was prevented from doing so, but as I saw, the restaurant had many, many tables available for the time I had originally requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasurebertie0130Dined on 9/6/2014We have been to MP Taverna many times. Truly our favorite Westchester restaurant. The aged feta is heavenly and they do fish like no one else! We love the branzino and paella. Great cocktails and wine list. There is an easy unpretentious vibe, attentive staff. An excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WILL RETURNPaulDined on 9/6/2014All in all my dining experience was very good. Suggest that the bartender brush up on his or her Tom Collins recipe because we had to return it and ordered a different drink. Had the seafood paella which was described as shellfish with spicy lamb sausage. Turns out the whole dish was spicy but despite my eyes tearing and nose running I survived the meal. Grilled octpus app. and dried fruit salad excellent as usual. Will definitely return because the place is great and the service is always very attentive.Special Features:
- whats2eatDined on 9/6/2014Was there on a Sat. night with my husband. We were pleased with the food, though my side vegetables were cold; bronzino done beautifully, but sides no good. It was too crowded and tables up against each other. My chair stuck out and was bumped in to several times and we asked to move. The wait staff was very pleasant but seemed completely overwhelmed. We love greek food and we would go back… just for lunch or an early weekday dinner - never on a weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Losing some lusterHudsonValleyFoodieVIPDined on 9/1/2014We recently dined with them early in the evening on a holiday - while we had a reservation and the restaurant was fairly empty, they seated us right next to the kitchen. We had fish dishes, both of which were just ok. We started with salads, which also weren't outstanding - even the heirloom tomato salad. I just feel like they're not trying anymore.
- It was okayHBHBDined on 8/29/2014Nice enough, but not memorable. Fish special was average, osso bucco tasted okay, but not hot enough. It probably stayed too long in the kitchen. Prices were reasonable, staff was nice, so "okay" seems like an accurate review.
- Great lunch place!Kay76Dined on 8/26/2014Food was terrific -- as always -- and except for the Greek coffee (recommended by my dining companion) everything about MP Taverna was "to love." Daily lunch specials are also nice, but the Grilled Pulled Salmon Salad was definitely a repeater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodJoe123456Dined on 8/24/2014excellent food! excellent service except for the guy at the reception desk who is very rude and condescending waiters are very professional and attentiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.