MP Taverna - Astoria
31-29 Ditmars Blvd
Astoria, NY 11105Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
MP Taverna - Astoria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 7187772187
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from MP Taverna - Astoria
Michael Psilakis will bring his award-winning Greek-inspired cuisine to Astoria with the opening of MP Taverna, a modern interpretation of a traditional Greek tavern. With locations in Long Island and Westchester, MP Taverna’s accessible menu brings Psilakis’ Greek fare into the American culinary lexicon and is another step towards the chef’s goal of putting Greek cuisine on the culinary main stage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
MP Taverna - Astoria - Best Restaurants in Astoria ›
MP Taverna - Astoria reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (71)great for outdoor dining (55)fit for foodies (51)good for groups (40)vibrant bar scene (37)hot spot (25)notable wine list (19)great for brunch (18)romantic (16)special occasion (16)great for lunch (15)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (7)scenic view (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/22/2014Grilled Branzino was excellent. Food in general is very good. This is not traditional Greek but I would like to see traditional Greek Village salad added to menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal and serviceLocaleasterDined on 10/18/2014A gem--updated Greek with deep rich flavors and seasonal freshness. We wanted to order everything on the menu. Service was enthusiastic and knowledgable. Well worth the travel from our food-focused neighborhood in Brooklyn for an extraordinary meal in Queens.Special Features:
- Fantastic Upscale Greek DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/17/2014MP Taverna continues to be a great addition to the Ditmars area of Astoria. The restaurant is beautiful with a great atmosphere that manages to be upscale without feeling stuffy/pretentious. The food is solid, with a few exceptions. My biggest complaints with my most recent visit stem from the hostesses. We arrived at 8:15 for an 8:45 reservation, so I went up to the front desk to let them know we were there a bit early. The hostess rudely remarked that we were VERY early and said our table wouldn't be ready until 8:45. Then when our table was ready, the other hostess took us to a table where we couldn't even pull the chairs out to sit down it was so tightly packed! We insisted that we sit at another table. Server & bartender were great.Special Features:
- Great spot, food, service!fairytalefeastsVIPDined on 10/17/2014I have been to MP Taverna multiple times now. It's different than the other Taverna a block away, which is also a fav. MP is a bit more modern, upscale and trendy. It's great for outdoor dining. I love sitting outside. The inside is a little to busy/noisy for me but I have only ever sat downstairs. The Greek dip trio is a great appetizer there and a must have. MP Taverna has the best Octopus I've ever had. It's pricey for an appetizer but worth it! I love the Seafood Paella and the chicken kebabs. Tried the lamb risotto and it was a bit greasy. Also love their drinks - the Sandman is my fav! Overall, great place. Service was outstanding as well. It def helps to have a reservation.Special Features:
- Consistantly Goodlive2eatVIPDined on 10/11/2014We go to MP every couple of months. Always pleased. The Host really tried to accomodate our table request so when he saw us at a different table he came over. I assured him it was me- I asked for the wrong location. We had a great time and enjoed the food as always. I had Grandma's meatballs for app and lamb chops for dinner. My wife had eggplant dip for app and red snapper for entree. We each had the special baklava-i don't share. Yum!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good, fresh foodVeggieQueenVIPDined on 10/10/2014We've dined at MP Taverna a few times and the food is always good. Traditional Greek dishes elevated by adding different flavors and taking a new spin on what otherwise would be just simple dishes. Leave room for desert, too. Service is quick and friendly. Nice ambiance. However, during busy times it can get a little crowded and loud. We had reservations every time and were seated within a few minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful, well prepared mealCoastalGuyDined on 10/2/2014I would imagine many of the people who discover MP do so as they couldn't get into Kyclades. MP is not traditional Greek food, but it is an excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceJkolineVIPDined on 9/27/2014Very slow service, after appetizer took half an hour for entrees to come and no staffs come by our table to pour sparkling water for us during entire dinner. Good food but not so good in services.Special Features:
- A Local GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2014It's great having a Manhattan caliber restaurant like MP Taverna in Queens. This past weekend was only our 2nd time in a year but we definitely plan on being more frequent visitors! Our favorite dish has been the octopus and chick peas - just perfect.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceTatyanaVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was delicious. We got the octopus/chickpea app, the 3 spreads, grilled branzino, pasta with rabbit, and a cheeseburger. Everything was amazing and we cleaned our plates (and we are usually a picky group!). Our server Dennis was efficient and professional. We never felt we needed to waive him down. The manager/owner stopped by twice to see how we were doing, nice touch. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Good but not greatShrinkgirlVIPDined on 9/20/2014Came to NYC to see son who lives in Astoria and wanted to try something new. Service very good and seated right away. Loved the cocktails - very delicious. Food was good but flavors were missing something so off the mark and quite frankly a little blah. Dessert was better but still no quite on the mark. In the city for the price I would look for somewhere else for dinner but come for the bar and drinks.Special Features:
- Like2eatlike2eatVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a great time, delicious food and a very attentive wait staff. Couldn't have asked for a nicer evening. We were so delighted that we could have an upstairs table and be in a vibrant restaurant where we could still have a conversation and hear each other!!!! Thank you for a great night.Special Features:
- Always consistentjdbros80Dined on 9/12/2014Food is consistently well prepared and always full of flavor. Dishes like the Greek chicken and lamb sausage dumplings give MP just the right amount of spin especially in a neighborhood bent on traditional Greek food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peak GreeksajeadviseVIPDined on 9/1/2014Outstanding in every way. Quality of food and service equals multiple return visits. Also, the servings are large enough to share, but you'll find yourself hoarding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Octopus DishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The Octopus dish was outstanding and the grandma's meatballs were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MP TavernamnbnycVIPDined on 8/24/2014Great brunch and nice atmosphere and service. This looks like a good place for dinner too. Well worth the trip from Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Brunch, Slow ServicesammydayeatsVIPDined on 8/24/2014The brunch is outstanding, but the portions can be too large for one person. Consider sharing your main and splitting an app. The low service rating is due to the lack of attention we were given at our table. From the time we ordered, our single appetizer didn't come to the table for 40 minutes. Last time I was at MP, I ordered this app while at the bar and it took 10 minutes. Not sure what happened; it would have been better had our server come over to check in and let us know what was taking so long. Once the app came (the octopus), at least it was delicious. I DO recommend this place. The food is amazing.Special Features:
- Prices much higher than menu onlineNYCgoodiefoodieDined on 8/23/2014Service and ambiance was great. First thing I noticed was that the prices were much more expensive than the menu on their website. $17 for octopus while their online menu said $13. Octopus and eggplant dip was great but very small portions. I had the branzino which lacked flavor and only had a burnt grilled taste. Overall, the place isn't bad but there are much better options to spending over $120 for dinner.
- Yum!!binabeansDined on 8/12/2014My friends and I decided to order a mixture of appetizers and salads instead of mains. Everything was prepared very well. The octopus and meatballs were definitely my favorite. The octopus was cooked perfectly- extremely tender! The waiter was also very polite, attentive and honest about the meal choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great great findJimmypizzaDined on 8/10/2014Last minute plans to go to MP taverna with six people. What a great choice. Everything from service,food,attitude, and outdoor seating was superb.Food was a 10 out of 10. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014The first time here. We enjoyed everything. Rocky the waiter was very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love thi placeSchrodingerDined on 8/9/2014We often end up coming here for special occasions. This time was my husband's birthday. Our waitress was the most attentive we've had there. The new kids menu makes things a lot easier for us too. Great beer selection, though I'm sad there was no more singlecut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/2/2014the first couple of times i went here it was great, i mean really tasty and worth the money. then the more and more i go i get more and more disappointed. i really like the soft leather chairs upstairs. the service is good.Special Features:
- never dissapointedathenaDined on 8/2/2014Delicious, authentic cuisine. This place is great, their galaktoboureko creme Brule is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DRB46DRB46Dined on 8/1/2014Another visit and a delicious dinner. One note that they were charging us for an extra thimble full of marinara sauce for the delicious calimari? What's with that when your bill is nearly $200.Special Features:
- luvAstoriaDined on 7/29/2014Our dinner was very good. Food was well prepared. Service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy To Go!GreekFoodieDined on 7/26/2014Decided to finally dine here. We stumbled upon Happy Hour and left happy customers, especially after the pitcher of Sangria. Tried the skirt steak which was good along with a few 'Happy Hour appetizers', which were on the dietetic side but good nonetheless. Nice ambiance and friendly staff. Would go there again.Special Features:
- A great neighborhood additionFoodieDined on 7/21/2014Always love the food and the ambience. The service on previous visits was always friendly, informed, attentive. This last visit, our waiter started out friendly, then he it became how he thought it should be rather than what the customer requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderful!SharonODined on 7/12/2014We have frequented most of the Greek/Mediterranean restaurants in Astoria and MP Taverna became our favorite on our first visit. The food was excellent and the service exemplarily.The hostess was very nice about letting us be 1/2 hour late for our Saturday night 8:00reservation. We called and told her that we were stuck in traffic: No Problem... our table was waiting for us when we arrived. Our server, Christina, was very accommodating, helpful and personable. I thought that the prices were quite reasonable for the quality. MP Taverna is just down the block from one of the "famous" Greek places where people waited an hour or more for a table. MP Taverna had better food and ambiance without the hassle. No disappointments.Special Features:
- Great Night!DansDining11Dined on 7/11/2014My fifth time here & food was as good as ever! Greek meatballs were cooked to perfection & very tasty. The filet of sole with spinach & feta was different & delicious. Great beer & wine choices. Our waiter, Adonis, was very personable, energetic & helpful. Definitely will be looking forward to returning, especially with friends.Special Features:
- Always a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/8/2014Great service, amazing food!! Neighborhood gem and probably one of the top three restaurants in Astoria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service LackedwineloverVIPDined on 7/6/2014I went here on a Sunday night for dinner. The server was inattentive and ended up bringing us the wrong check. As we were leaving no one thanked us or even acknowledged us. Despite the service the food was pretty good. The lamb was well done and I had asked for it medium. The meatballs were quite good and the fries were just okay. The service makes me not want to go back. I might order takeout sometime.Special Features:
- GDinerVIPDined on 7/5/2014A dining nightmare. After being seated, we waited for no less than 10 minutes for menu's. Drinks took forever. When the food finally arrived, all meals (4) were ice cold. Food was bland. If this is authentic Greek food, I will never go back. Save your money!
- 1233Dined on 7/5/2014Great place overall. Small menu selection. Most foods overpriced. Ie: my $15 gyro sandwich with only 3 pieces of pork. VERY dissapointing!!! I could get a platter for that price elsewhere. But gyro sliders were good.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 7/2/2014Fantastic on all levels. Beautiful restaurant with fantastic service and phenomenal food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too saltyFooddocDined on 6/30/2014Great waitress. The duck confit was way too salty. We ordered the lamb chops medium rare and they came out medium well. The manager asked how everything was. We told him. He said "oh", turned and left. No follow up or comment. Just "oh" I love duck. The salt was overwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Octupus at lunchAlderVIPDined on 6/30/2014Upon entering and glancing at the menu, I was disappointed. Mistakenly, I thought lack of variety and ordinary decor. I asked the manager for recommendations. He strongly recommended that we start with an appetizer of Octopus salad. Very reluctantly we agreed. It was the best I have ever had. While the dumplings and fish were excellent after that, I could return and simply lunch on heavenly octopus salad. The adventure and fun of dining in newly discovered gems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DRB46DRB46Dined on 6/29/2014First time at the Astoria location.Delicious and terrific selections. We stuck to all the mezze selections and loved the variety and quality.Special Features:
- Greek brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/29/2014Nice sophisticated brunch. They also serve the excellent octopus, even on Sunday mornings. Service was fine; we weren't drinking but our server mentioned cocktails one too many times every time she came back to the table.Special Features:
- The following 217 reviews are from the MP Taverna - Astoria reviews archive.
- Yummy food, service could improvefoodfemVIPDined on 6/24/2014This was my second visit to MP Taverna with my fiance. This area of Ditmars is very pleasant -- with good ambiance worthy of date night. Cocktails are not overly inventive, but they are well-rendered and tasty. The food was just plain yummy. We ordered the mussels with gigantes as an appetizer, but it's enough to be an entree and worth it because it's infused with excellent tomato-y garlic flavor and greek lamb. The paella is similar so don't order both. The lamb shank is excellent as well. My star ratings lower because we didn't have the best experience with staff -- slow-moving, brought the wrong item, not familiar with the menu. Polishing on this front would bring this tasty restaurant up to 4-5 stars. I still recommend you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.