MP Taverna - Astoria
31-29 Ditmars Blvd
Astoria, NY 11105Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
MP Taverna - Astoria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Phone: 7187772187
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from MP Taverna - Astoria
Michael Psilakis will bring his award-winning Greek-inspired cuisine to Astoria with the opening of MP Taverna, a modern interpretation of a traditional Greek tavern. With locations in Long Island and Westchester, MP Taverna’s accessible menu brings Psilakis’ Greek fare into the American culinary lexicon and is another step towards the chef’s goal of putting Greek cuisine on the culinary main stage.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
MP Taverna - Astoria - Best Restaurants in Astoria ›
MP Taverna - Astoria reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (67)great for outdoor dining (58)fit for foodies (47)good for groups (37)vibrant bar scene (33)special occasion (22)hot spot (22)notable wine list (21)romantic (18)great for brunch (17)kid-friendly (15)great for lunch (15)late-night find (12)scenic view (7)Show More
- Always consistentjdbros80Dined on 9/12/2014Food is consistently well prepared and always full of flavor. Dishes like the Greek chicken and lamb sausage dumplings give MP just the right amount of spin especially in a neighborhood bent on traditional Greek food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peak GreeksajeadviseVIPDined on 9/1/2014Outstanding in every way. Quality of food and service equals multiple return visits. Also, the servings are large enough to share, but you'll find yourself hoarding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Octopus DishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014The Octopus dish was outstanding and the grandma's meatballs were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MP TavernamnbnycVIPDined on 8/24/2014Great brunch and nice atmosphere and service. This looks like a good place for dinner too. Well worth the trip from Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Brunch, Slow ServicesammydayeatsVIPDined on 8/24/2014The brunch is outstanding, but the portions can be too large for one person. Consider sharing your main and splitting an app. The low service rating is due to the lack of attention we were given at our table. From the time we ordered, our single appetizer didn't come to the table for 40 minutes. Last time I was at MP, I ordered this app while at the bar and it took 10 minutes. Not sure what happened; it would have been better had our server come over to check in and let us know what was taking so long. Once the app came (the octopus), at least it was delicious. I DO recommend this place. The food is amazing.Special Features:
- Prices much higher than menu onlineNYCgoodiefoodieDined on 8/23/2014Service and ambiance was great. First thing I noticed was that the prices were much more expensive than the menu on their website. $17 for octopus while their online menu said $13. Octopus and eggplant dip was great but very small portions. I had the branzino which lacked flavor and only had a burnt grilled taste. Overall, the place isn't bad but there are much better options to spending over $120 for dinner.
- Yum!!binabeansDined on 8/12/2014My friends and I decided to order a mixture of appetizers and salads instead of mains. Everything was prepared very well. The octopus and meatballs were definitely my favorite. The octopus was cooked perfectly- extremely tender! The waiter was also very polite, attentive and honest about the meal choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great great findJimmypizzaDined on 8/10/2014Last minute plans to go to MP taverna with six people. What a great choice. Everything from service,food,attitude, and outdoor seating was superb.Food was a 10 out of 10. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014The first time here. We enjoyed everything. Rocky the waiter was very helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love thi placeSchrodingerDined on 8/9/2014We often end up coming here for special occasions. This time was my husband's birthday. Our waitress was the most attentive we've had there. The new kids menu makes things a lot easier for us too. Great beer selection, though I'm sad there was no more singlecut.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never dissapointedathenaDined on 8/2/2014Delicious, authentic cuisine. This place is great, their galaktoboureko creme Brule is to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DRB46DRB46Dined on 8/1/2014Another visit and a delicious dinner. One note that they were charging us for an extra thimble full of marinara sauce for the delicious calimari? What's with that when your bill is nearly $200.Special Features:
- luvAstoriaDined on 7/29/2014Our dinner was very good. Food was well prepared. Service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy To Go!GreekFoodieDined on 7/26/2014Decided to finally dine here. We stumbled upon Happy Hour and left happy customers, especially after the pitcher of Sangria. Tried the skirt steak which was good along with a few 'Happy Hour appetizers', which were on the dietetic side but good nonetheless. Nice ambiance and friendly staff. Would go there again.Special Features:
- A great neighborhood additionFoodieDined on 7/21/2014Always love the food and the ambience. The service on previous visits was always friendly, informed, attentive. This last visit, our waiter started out friendly, then he it became how he thought it should be rather than what the customer requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderful!SharonODined on 7/12/2014We have frequented most of the Greek/Mediterranean restaurants in Astoria and MP Taverna became our favorite on our first visit. The food was excellent and the service exemplarily.The hostess was very nice about letting us be 1/2 hour late for our Saturday night 8:00reservation. We called and told her that we were stuck in traffic: No Problem... our table was waiting for us when we arrived. Our server, Christina, was very accommodating, helpful and personable. I thought that the prices were quite reasonable for the quality. MP Taverna is just down the block from one of the "famous" Greek places where people waited an hour or more for a table. MP Taverna had better food and ambiance without the hassle. No disappointments.Special Features:
- Great Night!DansDining11Dined on 7/11/2014My fifth time here & food was as good as ever! Greek meatballs were cooked to perfection & very tasty. The filet of sole with spinach & feta was different & delicious. Great beer & wine choices. Our waiter, Adonis, was very personable, energetic & helpful. Definitely will be looking forward to returning, especially with friends.Special Features:
- Always a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/8/2014Great service, amazing food!! Neighborhood gem and probably one of the top three restaurants in Astoria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service LackedwineloverVIPDined on 7/6/2014I went here on a Sunday night for dinner. The server was inattentive and ended up bringing us the wrong check. As we were leaving no one thanked us or even acknowledged us. Despite the service the food was pretty good. The lamb was well done and I had asked for it medium. The meatballs were quite good and the fries were just okay. The service makes me not want to go back. I might order takeout sometime.Special Features:
- GDinerVIPDined on 7/5/2014A dining nightmare. After being seated, we waited for no less than 10 minutes for menu's. Drinks took forever. When the food finally arrived, all meals (4) were ice cold. Food was bland. If this is authentic Greek food, I will never go back. Save your money!
- 1233Dined on 7/5/2014Great place overall. Small menu selection. Most foods overpriced. Ie: my $15 gyro sandwich with only 3 pieces of pork. VERY dissapointing!!! I could get a platter for that price elsewhere. But gyro sliders were good.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 7/2/2014Fantastic on all levels. Beautiful restaurant with fantastic service and phenomenal food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too saltyFooddocDined on 6/30/2014Great waitress. The duck confit was way too salty. We ordered the lamb chops medium rare and they came out medium well. The manager asked how everything was. We told him. He said "oh", turned and left. No follow up or comment. Just "oh" I love duck. The salt was overwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Octupus at lunchAlderVIPDined on 6/30/2014Upon entering and glancing at the menu, I was disappointed. Mistakenly, I thought lack of variety and ordinary decor. I asked the manager for recommendations. He strongly recommended that we start with an appetizer of Octopus salad. Very reluctantly we agreed. It was the best I have ever had. While the dumplings and fish were excellent after that, I could return and simply lunch on heavenly octopus salad. The adventure and fun of dining in newly discovered gems.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DRB46DRB46Dined on 6/29/2014First time at the Astoria location.Delicious and terrific selections. We stuck to all the mezze selections and loved the variety and quality.Special Features:
- Greek brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/29/2014Nice sophisticated brunch. They also serve the excellent octopus, even on Sunday mornings. Service was fine; we weren't drinking but our server mentioned cocktails one too many times every time she came back to the table.Special Features:
- Yummy food, service could improvefoodfemVIPDined on 6/24/2014This was my second visit to MP Taverna with my fiance. This area of Ditmars is very pleasant -- with good ambiance worthy of date night. Cocktails are not overly inventive, but they are well-rendered and tasty. The food was just plain yummy. We ordered the mussels with gigantes as an appetizer, but it's enough to be an entree and worth it because it's infused with excellent tomato-y garlic flavor and greek lamb. The paella is similar so don't order both. The lamb shank is excellent as well. My star ratings lower because we didn't have the best experience with staff -- slow-moving, brought the wrong item, not familiar with the menu. Polishing on this front would bring this tasty restaurant up to 4-5 stars. I still recommend you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatgc917Dined on 6/21/2014I've eaten at MP Taverna several times and it never disappoints. Food and service are always top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern GreekBobbyLODined on 6/21/2014Michael Psilakis takes classic Greek cuisine, and brings it into the 21st century with flying colors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Greek in Townjetblu2001VIPDined on 6/20/2014Had a great time with my wife. Food was fantastic and the server was great as well.Special Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/18/2014Had dinner at MP with some friends and family and it was amazing, the food was so good, the mussels with the Greek sausage was perfect! Service was very attentive and professional, can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but ...iicamiiDined on 6/14/2014service needs work. Very slow and disorganized. Food was great though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. spotty servicebastabobVIPDined on 6/13/2014This was my fourth time dining here, and while I must say, that I am a bit disappointed that the menu has not changed once, it was the service that was the most disappointing. Entrees came out while we were still eating appetizers and the entire meal felt rushed. There were empty tables around us so there was no reason for it, and i'm not certain if I will make a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Recommend!MrMrsSunnyDined on 5/21/2014Fantastic service!! Couldn't have asked for a friendlier, more welcoming staff! The owner (?) checked in with us frequently and our waitress was attentive and helped with special requests with ease. The atmosphere and food would cost so much more other places - what a great find for us. We had very little kids with us for this meal and they were so accommodating and welcoming to them. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 209 reviews are from the MP Taverna - Astoria reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/17/2014Delicious food, and a fun ambience! We loved the lamb dumplings and the trio of dips! The burger and paella were great too (though less amazing than the dumplings)! We can't wait to come back!
- Neighborhood GempoppapriVIPDined on 5/15/2014been here a few times, finally getting a chance to say every time was amazing... the food, the wine, the service, the ambiance... perfect... food is def. on par as one of Astoria's best Greek/Mediterranean restaurants... looking forward to my next dining experience there...Special Features:
- Outstanding5StarsDined on 5/11/2014We went to MP Taverna on Mother's Day and it was a great. The food was really tasty and the waitress Brandi was outstanding and went above and beyond. Great staff, very friendly and welcoming, will definitely return for more beautiful and delicious outing's to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- contangoDined on 5/3/2014Have been here several times, as well as their Roslyn location. Consistent good food and quality service. Wait staff always spot on with both food and wine recommendations. Been here with larger as well as smaller groups. Never a problem. Every person we bring here wants to return. That says it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/27/2014The food was amazing as always. This time I had the salmon, seasoned perfectly. Although the food was exceptional, their drinks could use some tweaking. The Limonada was too sweet as well as the Ouzo drink. If you like the taste of licorice, it's perfect your you. I unfortunately do not. We tried their "modern" baklava which was really an apple strudel but delicious nonetheless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Modern Greek Food at it's bestgeminimdDined on 4/26/2014Came to NY for the weekend to see some friends and they wanted me to try MP Taverna. The place was packed and had a vibrant scene. Showed up 15 minutes early for our reservation and were seated right away. Food was great and portions were big. If you are looking for traditional greek food, then this is not the place - for that you can go elsewhere, but I wouldn't. Definitely will be back. Good for couples and big parties. Wine list had a great selection of wines and great selection of craft beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.