Moxie's Grill & Bar- University
70 University Avenue
Toronto, ON MJ5 2M4Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
CanadianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Moxie's Grill & Bar- University
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://moxies.ca/blog/toronto-downtown-now-open
- Phone: 6477487172
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm.
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 2:00am, Monday - Tuesday: 4:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Canadian
- Executive Chef: Brandon Thordarson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Moxie's Grill & Bar- University
Now open at 70 University Avenue in Downtown Toronto! Located in Toronto's Financial District, off of University Ave and Wellington St, next to the St. Andrew Metro Station, Moxie’s is a premium casual restaurant offering weekend brunch, lunch, dinner or late night dining. Passion. Food. Friends.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Moxie's Grill & Bar- University - Best Restaurants in Downtown/ Financial District ›
Moxie's Grill & Bar- University reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (47)good for groups (38)great for outdoor dining (21)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (19)special occasion (13)neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (11)scenic view (9)late-night find (9)great for brunch (6)romantic (4)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Good pregame spotTODinerVIPDined on 10/8/2014The food is ok, but not haute cusisine but that is not why you go to Moxies. Comfortabel spot with some good comfort food. The dry ribs are amazing.Special Features:
- Great ServicegreatDined on 9/30/2014I had ordered a lunch pasta and salad but the waiter brought out a dinner size ... so he was good enough to take back the salad. Great service and exceptional food. Why I keep going back. Management is great to.. he always stops by to say hi. Sonia Sharma 416-875-8024Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could have been betterNotafoodieDined on 9/23/2014I ordered the asian salad for lunch. It tasted ok, but you can tell that the chicken wasn't made fresh. The iced tea was also too sweet. The waitress was very pleasant.Special Features:
- Just a perfect placeAlirezaDined on 9/23/2014The place is fantastic. The staff are friendly and caring. It is a nice atmosphere. I have been there a couple of times and I love this place. But my gold medal goes to the chef. Every time that I was there, I tried different menu item and every item was just perfect.Special Features:
- Great service, good timeMucksDined on 9/20/2014Really like this spot - not so much on the weekends, but for drinks & a bite after work - fantastic. Patio's great, and they go out of their way to accommodate. Great service, good times at this location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014I had a good lunch at the restaurant. It was a busy & happening place. Service and food choices were great. It is not a place to come to have a meaningful conversation as the noise bounces off the walls and travels in all directions. It felt like I was in a cantine. I could't have a normal conversation with a friend. No music could be heard over the noise. That is the only complaint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014great spot and we enjoyed the food and the service was great.Special Features:
- Lunch on Sept 3OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014We were there for lunch with a group of 5. Food's very good. Menu has good variety for every to choose from. Service was excellent. Prices were reasonable. Will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- moxie's moxyRapman58VIPDined on 9/3/2014You got have moxy to go up against earl's, the drake, etc. etc. in the downtown lunch and after work scene - especially on the edge of the core. Moxie's seems to have found the formula. Interesting food for a reasonably priced place, great servers (both attitude and looks) and a clean cool atmosphere. Best to sit in the bar area when cold - the patio when warm. The dining room can be a little loud. Kudo's to Moxie's especially because their location at Yonge and Sheppard just pales in comparison, so I wasn't expecting much when I first came here - but I've now been 4 times and not one disappointment. Cheers,Special Features:
- Nice spot for lunchLindylooDined on 8/26/2014Always a great spot for lunch. A tad too noisy but not overwhelming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceParticularfoodiesDined on 8/25/2014We wanted to sit outside so I liked that they had a patio. Not a lot of sunshine on the patio though. We went to Moxies as it is a reliable chain with good food options. We enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great business lunch!AngelaHDined on 8/18/2014Making an online reservation was fast and easy. I was able to book the time/date that I wanted for a business meeting. The hostesses did a terrific job in escorting each guest to the assigned table upon arrival. The wait staff was very attentive to our need to indulge in a business coversation and made sure to interupt only when appropriate. And, the food was good. Thanks for taking care of my needs with a business client!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing out of the ordinaryDowntownDinerDined on 8/11/2014I made a reservation for my team lunch, the web reservation tool was great and easy to use. I would've given Service 4 stars for our server, he was great. Unfortunately, I wanted the score to reflect the cold greeting we got at the door/reception. There was a real lack of energy, and we didn't feel that Moxie's was excited to have us there. It was not an inviting vibe at the door. No greeting other than a "Hi" as supposed to any restaurants around the area would've greeted us with a smile, welcome, and how may I help you. We were gestured by the greeter to follow her instead of "I've got your table ready, right this way please." Unfortunatly these little things at first impression really stuck out.Special Features:
- Patio seasonMaryellenVIPDined on 8/6/2014If you are here during the summer, try and grab seating outside. Even though the view isn't great because it's in the financial district, it's a nice break from the loud music and crowd insideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We had a great experience- no rush- able to enjoy appetizers and dinner before concert in their covered patio...perfect for rainy summer day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014We had an issue with one of our orders and the Manager was fantastic! He took care of the problem and ensured that we had a great dining experience, which we did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really LoudcindyVIPDined on 7/9/2014Went during World Cup and it was really loud. Not sure the sound barriers are good; seemed like the noises bounces off one and another. Lots of people, food is nothing special.. if you are looking to catch up with a friend, it may be hard to talk if it's busy..Special Features:
- Long Wait TimesCasualDinerDined on 7/1/2014I attended this restaurant - along with two friends - with high hopes, considering my positive experiences at other Moxie's locations. However, in this case it seemed as though they were under-staffed. Please keep in mind that it was Canada Day. We were not attended to immediately - took about 15 min. We endured approximately a half an hour wait time between anything that was ordered (starter, entree, the bill, and even the card machine). In addition we had to request for utensils, we had to repeatedly ask for water, we were checked on rarely, and the food was not satisfactory. The restaurant environment however, was energetic with practically everyone enjoying the FIFA match.
- Always goodLibbyKDined on 6/30/2014The food and atmosphere is always great. I always recommend this to friends for lunch, as it's close, the ambiance, service and food is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a stop byZenixDined on 6/28/2014Nice place, good food and service. Recommend the spiced mojito! EnjoySpecial Features:
- Nice casual lunchEliz008Dined on 6/27/2014Went for weekday lunch with friends. Food was good and service was well timed. Nothing exceptional, but nice overall. Noise level a bit too high for my liking. Had difficulty hearing each other while conversing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World Cup Fever @ Moxie'sMonkeyfinger1Dined on 6/26/2014Happened to catch a World Cup Game on June 26 at Moxie's on University and Wellington. The place was hoping. The beer was cold and the service from Columba and Ex GM Alex superb. Couldn't have wished for a greater lunch. BTW Germany won!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 33 reviews are from the Moxie's Grill & Bar- University reviews archive.
- JazzybirmanDined on 6/18/2014Thanks to FIFA, the noise level was deafening. Food was great. Had the steak. Love the non-aloholic mango martini. Service is top-rate.Special Features:
- First time at this Moxie'slunchalotDined on 6/17/2014Not as attractive as the other Moxie's in town - rather sterile-looking. Very crowded front room. Noise level is terrible. Food & Service were very good so I'd go back for that. Prices were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2014Food and service was excellent. The patio wasn't open the day I was there, but will definitely be back to try it out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/16/2014Excellent food and service. Many TVs and depending what is on it can be very noisy!Special Features:
- After the gameLongtimerDined on 5/31/2014Went to Moxie's after the ball game on a Saturday. Not crowded, not too noisy, excellent service. A bit of a walk from the Skydome, but worth it to get away from the crowd.Special Features:
- KGuyDined on 5/23/2014The virgin margarita, appetizer, and the dessert were amazing but the main entree both of us had was lacking substance and taste. I would say it good enough overall for us to come back another time.Special Features:
- Very noisy, food was goodwinefindgirlVIPDined on 5/16/2014Had a meeting there on Friday, very very busy and it was hard to hear each other. I had the fully loaded hamburger and it was quite good, the sweet potato fries were overcooked and not hot. Overall, it was basically a young people lunch place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- What did you say?IndigestionDined on 5/15/2014We would have loved our experience at Moxie's if we had only been able to hear one another. There were six of us at a booth, but even seated right beside each other we could hardly hear what was said. There was no hope to speak with people across the table. We will not be back
- Wonderful lunch with good serviceLindylooDined on 5/6/2014I am so happy Moxie's opened in the Financial District. It's a huge place with great seating (nice large booths). I love their lunch salads especially the citrus arugula salad. Our waiter was funny and friendly and not intrusive. The noise was a little loud, hard to hear the specials but not too loud that I couldn't hear my lunch companion.Special Features:
- MrDineOutthudmeizerDined on 5/2/2014One of the gems in the downtown TO eating scene! I used to go elsewhere in the area for years but now frequent this location awaiting its opening. It has changed my eating radar in that part of the corridor. Well done!Special Features:
- Great tasty foodValeriaDined on 5/2/2014love the food, but could tone down the salt a bit. Overall great experience.Special Features:
- ReviewJohnDined on 4/30/2014Came to watch the Raptors game. Food and service was excellent but the TV's are in really awkward positions and there are not enough of them. Had trouble seeing the game. Would go back but never to watch a sporting eventSpecial Features:
- Too noisyAnonymouusDined on 4/25/2014I had hoped I could get a quiet table where I could touch base with friends. Unfortunately we got the table just near the bar despite my request on the reservation. however the service was good ...
- Good time at lunchwaySMDined on 4/24/2014Had a great time with colleagues. The manager Alex was very accommodating Sevice excellent and menu a little different than typical roadhouse fareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with the LadsLNCH4CLSRSDined on 4/23/2014Great new property for Moxie's downtown location. Natural light and great urban deco. It's got a lot of hustle bustle but that comes with the territory. staff were great at taking it at our pace and kept us hydrated and satisfied. Thx Sarah & Chanel ! Be back soon ...Special Features:
- Bad table, Great ServerDuckbilliousDined on 4/22/2014Lunch crowd was raucous and we were seated at a tiny table near the kitchen despite rezervations. Service was impeccable. Food was good off the luch menu although my salad was over dressed. The Tuna on Taro Chip app was great!Special Features:
- Great spot for dinner downtown.downtowndinerDined on 4/16/2014Moxie's is a very classy yet relaxed restaurant downtown. The food and service are excellent. Can be a bit loud in the evenings though.Special Features:
- Good Friends, Good Food, Great TimeChansyGurlDined on 4/2/2014Moxies at University and Front in Toronto was great. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. If you havent' had the white chocolate brownie, your missing out. It was AMAZING!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.