1732-1734 Connecticut Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://mourayous.com/
- Phone: 2026672100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Mnday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5;00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Mourayo can host your catering needs. The restaurant can accommodate groups of 20-30 persons in a new section of the dining room without a restaurant buy-out. We can provide set or customized menus.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8558213819
A word from Mourayo
“Mourayo” is Greek for safe harbor where fishermen moor their boats. Mourayo offers healthy, fresh, innovatively refined Greek cuisine. Our regional variations on meats, fish, poultry and legumes have been inspired by the traditional Greek and Mediterranean food culture. We aspire to present an original cuisine concept of this coastal land of blue skies and sparkling blue waters with its thousands of islands! Let us sail you to the Aegean Sea and experience Greek cuisine like never before. We validate Parking after 5:30pm at 2001 S Street (Laz Parking) Monday-FridayContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mourayo reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (65)special occasion (33)romantic (27)notable wine list (24)great for lunch (23)good for groups (13)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- great service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Really enjoyed the people here, and I loved the food. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great Greek FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014All 6 people at our table enjoyed their food. It is gourmet Greek that is not pretentious. We shared 2 appetizers, had 6 entrees, and a dessert platter. All the food came out artfully prepared and tasted delicious. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- sseatsVIPDined on 9/8/2014Many good small plates. First server was very knowledgeable and offered samples of wine. But as is often the case in many restaurants, could not find a server to help us after our entree was eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quiet couples eveningaaaaVIPDined on 9/7/2014Exceptional, professional, and friendly/personable staff. Grilled Octopus in ink appetizer was yummy. The elegant presentation of our main entrees of shrimp filled ravioli and pork loin medallions tasted fine but sadly did not meet our expectations. On the other hand, the recommended wine pairing (of native Greek wine - Adoli Ghis and Malagouzia) was fantastic. I would visit again but would focus on appetizers and wine. CheersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousetp10Dined on 9/6/2014Went to Mourayo early on a saturday which was clearly not a prime time. It was empty. The service was great as would be expected when there is no one else. The food was the highlight though, everything was delicious. Would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceRichDined on 9/5/2014It was absolutely wonderful. The food and the ambience were excellent.Special Features:
- Oasis in DuPontGNZmarchDined on 9/5/2014Charming neighborhood restaurant. Excellent and attentive service. Delicious sampler of pita and speciality dips. Nice assortment of small plates and entrees. Quiet, good place to talk and catch up we friends. Elegant classic wooden long bar. Amid the Connecticut corridor bustle, a welcome respite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Greek, impeccable servicerpenovichDined on 9/5/2014Lovely white tablecloth Greek restaurant with impeccable service and thoughtfully prepared food. We ate there for lunch so didn't experience the dinner menu and we would definitely go back for dinner. Wonderful lamb chops; a beautiful Greek tomato, cucumber, olive salad; the best feta we have ever tasted. Many tempting seafood dishes I'd like to try next time, including a whole roasted branzino that the maitre'd masterfully boned and plated for the table next to us. Don't expect gyros or spanakopita. Do expect to eat like you are dining on the Adriatic.Special Features:
- Delicious vegetarian samplerRandomReviewerVIPDined on 9/2/2014Lunchtime bonus: one of the soup offerings was carrot, vegetarian. The service was attentive but not imposing. The iced tea a refreshing non-alcoholic alternative to the Greek wines. One of my fingerling potato pieces was a little too brown, and the whole wheat version of the pita tasted a little yeasty to me, but those were minor detractions from an overall wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014I liked the food very much and thought the service was good. I do not know a lot about Greek wines, but the waiter recommended one I was pleased with. The quality is well above what is typical along that part of Connecticut Ave. Could be a good spot for a special meal occasion. Noise level a bit high, but if you arrive at 8 or so it soon falls to more agreeable levels. Staff very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2014This place has the best combination of higher-end dining without a ridiculous price tab and exceptional yet friendly service. Maitre 'd was exceptional.... looked out for our every need! I didn't give it 5 stars because, even though my friend's grilled bronzino was perfect, I had the mixed grill; which was over-cooked and cold when it came out. I didn't mention anything about it, but I have no doubt that they would have taken care of it if I had. Overall, this is a real gem in DuPont Circle.Special Features:
- Wonderful service, great foodDCZooVIPDined on 8/24/2014We don't live far and love greek food. For some reason we forget about this spot, so it was good to find it again on a night out with friends. The food was delicious (especially the whole branzino roasted in salt) and I can't say enough about the server. She was attentive to one in our group with celiac, and though our group arrived at different times, was able to get everyone drinks or food promptly. We will go back again
- Great ScallopsmajetcDined on 8/22/2014Service was great. Thank you Sofia. The scallops were the best we ever had; moist and flavorful. The seared Ahi was a generous serving; but the combination of capers and kalamata olives proved too salty and overpowered all the delicate flavors. After scraping off the capers, the dish was much more enjoyable. Also, the tuna was a little too done for my taste; I would have preferred it to be very rare. The tuna was cooked to medium; but, that may be a regional thing.Special Features:
- great neighborhood restaurantdannsamjVIPDined on 8/19/2014I enjoyed the Dupont Circle restaurant very much. so convenient to the Metro and a delicious Greek/Italian menu.Special Features:
- Very nice Greek foodHKLandDined on 8/18/2014Great, more upscale Greek food. Service was great and the food was quite yummy! Really good main course dishes in the right proportions. I would go again for sure.Special Features:
- Lovely lunch at MourayoJasmineVIPDined on 8/14/2014I went to Mourayo for lunch during Restaurant Week. There were a number of great choices on the Restaurant Week menu, and the quality of the food was excellent. What a great deal!Special Features:
- Excellent Restaurant Week lunchWayneDined on 8/13/2014Good choices for specials. We had the salmon and the chicken entrees, soup and bean salad for appetizers, and the yogurt and cake for desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!number17Dined on 8/2/2014Not your traditional greek food with souvlaki etc., but my wife and I enjoyed the food at Mourayo!
- Above average Greek fare.DinersDriveInsandDebDined on 8/1/2014First time back at Mourayo since my first visit a couple of years ago. Mostly very good, but not as great as I remembered it. One appetizer, the fava beans, was very bland and dry. The meatball appetizer was tasty and moist. The feta, cucumber and onion salad was plentiful, fresh, and tasty, but nothing original or notable about it. The monkfish entree and scallop entree were delicious and perfectly cooked, if a tad over salted. Unless you're familiar with Greek wines or can translate Greek, the wine list can be tricky to navigate, but our wonderful server (sorry, I can't recall her name!) made some great recommendations that suited our tastes perfectly! We were seated immediately for our 8 pm reservation. Service was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surpriseMorrVIPDined on 7/31/2014I'd been to Mourayo several times, but not in the past year. I was happily surprised at the refreshing cucumber and yogurt soup and the chicken with herbs and honey.Special Features:
- Always EnjoyabletheaspDined on 7/31/2014We too two summer interns who had no experience with Greek food to lunch for their farewell. They both were young and realitvely narrow and parochial in their food choices. They came out of the one and half hours happy, well-rounded and much more appreciate of adventures in eating. They met and liked taramosalata, tzatziki and several other mezzedes. They are both from ut side the Washington area but I am sure Mourayo will rank high on their list if/when they come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014Excellent dinner at Mourayo the other night. I had the branzino baked in salt, which is always very good. My guests had the lamb chops and the pork medallions and were very please with their dishes. Service was very attentive but not insrusive.Special Features:
- Mid-week business lunchDinnerDivaVIPDined on 7/30/2014The setting worked well for a 3-person mid-week business lunch -- quiet enough for conversation, varied menu to suit everyone's tastes, above-average preparation and quality.Special Features:
- ExcellentAKG729Dined on 7/29/2014I have dined at Mourayo for lunch and dinner and had drinks at the bar over the past few years. Always perfect service and delicious and creative food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!foodcomaVIPDined on 7/27/2014Loved the place..Tried the lamb dish and loved it..the servers were friendly and helpful!Special Features:
- Great Greek winesWillVIPDined on 7/26/2014Our waiter took the time to give us an impromptu wine tasting of several delicious white wine they were serving by the glass. It was a nice touch and contributed greatly to our enjoyment of our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Total Hidden GemesquirebabeVIPDined on 7/25/2014You've probably walked right by Mourayo many times (just like we had). But next time you should walk in. And eat. And eat. And eat. We didn't have anything that wasn't superb and lovely. From the oyster mushrooms with tomatoes and feta to grilled octopus to the shrimp in tomato and ouzo to the crabmeat and cheese pastries to the duck moussaka to the dessert platter. And the wines and the service were spot on, too. The latter being helpful and friendly but not pushy. We plan to go back here many times more and bring all our friends and family. You should, too.Special Features:
- great foodGreek1spotDined on 7/21/2014It was my birthday and they gave me the best service and awesome food. Everyone had a delighful timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detailOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/19/2014Once again, Mourayo excels. I can't say we're regulars, but we go often and have always had excellent food and service. I love this place! On this past visit, we were seated at a 4-top right by the huge front floor to ceiling window, which was open for the unusually cool summer evening. We had just begun to get restless after too much time went by without a greeting from a server when the maître d' reappeared to apologize profusely; he brought our cocktails and told us they were on the house - very nice gesture. The "Symposium" appetizer assortment is marvelous. Thank you Mourayo for not mis-using "entrée" for main course - it means the "entry" to the meal, or the appetizer, people!Special Features:
- Always superb.GranBosqueDined on 7/19/2014This is the best Mediterranean food in DC, period!Special Features:
- One Special EveningezknoxvilleDined on 7/18/2014My close friend was traveling with her grandson and had always assumed he could not go to a nicer unique restaurant for fear of his actions. We chose a late reservation (9:15) in hopes it would not be too crowded and took a risk by choosing Mourayo as it is a very nice restaurant and we would most likely need to leave if it didn’t go well. With their guidance, we choose a wonderful Greek bottle of wine and created a “tasting menu” from several small plates and one main dish. At one point my guest commented she was so impressed when she overheard the Maître d stating softly to one of the servers; “Fresh plates for table 19”. I must say, the food was perfect, the wine was perfect, and overall Mourayo exceeded our expectations in every way.Special Features:
- A visit to the Greek IslesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014BF and I enjoyed this cozy, relaxed bit of Greece on Conn Ave. Started off with wonderful warm pita & olive oil. Shared the tasty Salata Santorini followed by perfectly cooked lamb chops for BF and an amazing ravioli "Vytina" for me. The tender raviolis were stuffed with shrimp and cheese in a delightful light lobster-Greek brandy reduction. The Adoni's Secret of ravani cake was a satisfying way to end dinner on a sweet note. We are skeptical of Greek wines, but after a recommended first bottle was too acetic to our liking, the manager brought over another bottle for us to taste which was so much better and was glad to switch out bottles to ensure our pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in graceful ambiencemimaof4VIPDined on 7/16/2014Lunch was delicious. Food is healthful, attractively presented in modest quantities. One can enjoy the flavors while not over-eating. Service was quiet, efficient, friendly (but not overly so). Restaurant is small but very attractively designed, with blues providing a sense of sea. Windows opening to the sidewalk make one feel as though eating outdoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodbeafishDined on 7/15/2014We loved the food. The service was terrific. The place is loud but SO MANY are. I don't go out nearly as much as I might because I can't take the volume. I want to converse with the people I am dining with. Sigh. Other than that...this is a very good restaurant. The prices are reasonable for some terrific food. Also I am a vegetarian and they have lots of choices. We all enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Too posh for GreekMamaPoohDined on 7/15/2014I'm Greek and my parents own tow Greek restaurants in the town I'm from… I visit Greece every other year… I know Greek food. The food here was really tasty but not really Greek. When I go out of town and seek Greek food I'm really looking for comfort food and this place just didn't have it. If this is your first experience with Greek food please don't think this is what traditional Greek is. It is wonderful fancy Greek food though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2014Had a nice dinner with group of 4. Salad was divine. Roasted lamb special was tasty but a slightly dry/tough. My companions enjoyed their entrees thoroughly. Service was friendly and gracious.
- pmccroskVIPDined on 7/11/2014upscale Greek food, with innovative preparations, done very well. Incredibly well informed server, with attentive but not stifling service. gracious and helpful maitre de. Would definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/11/2014I can not rave about this restaurant enough. The food, service and ambiance were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GreekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014The egg plant appetizer was wonderful followed by a steak cooked to perfection and fabulous baclava not too sweet just fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous dinneryvo3Dined on 6/27/2014the pork loin medalions with figs etc were to die for; the filet mignon was perfectly doneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.