1732-1734 Connecticut Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://mourayous.com/
- Phone: (202) 667-2100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Mnday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5;00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Mourayo can host your catering needs. The restaurant can accommodate groups of 20-30 persons in a new section of the dining room without a restaurant buy-out. We can provide set or customized menus.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8558213819
A word from Mourayo
“Mourayo” is Greek for safe harbor where fishermen moor their boats. Mourayo offers healthy, fresh, innovatively refined Greek cuisine. Our regional variations on meats, fish, poultry and legumes have been inspired by the traditional Greek and Mediterranean food culture. We aspire to present an original cuisine concept of this coastal land of blue skies and sparkling blue waters with its thousands of islands! Let us sail you to the Aegean Sea and experience Greek cuisine like never before. We validate Parking after 5:30pm at 2001 S Street (Laz Parking) Monday-FridayContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mourayo reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)neighborhood gem (64)special occasion (25)romantic (21)great for lunch (17)good for groups (16)notable wine list (15)late-night find (6)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Authentic Greek Cusinehak3VIPDined on 11/22/2014Very relaxed understated decor with mature crowd. Menu items very unusual and true to Greek modern cooking styles and flavors. No shish-kabobs or white rice with under-cooked veggies on the menu. Chicken dish outstanding, black ink ravioli tasty, and the baklava exceptional. Very nice white wine from Santorini with slight carbonation was an excellent accompaniment to our dinner for 4Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out!SallyDined on 11/18/2014This is a great place to meet friends. We had a great meal, the service was impeccable, and it was a nice place to sit and talk. We didn't feel rushed, but the pace of the meal was just right. Will be back, especially for the yogurt and honey dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun evening out!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2014There were three of us for dinner, & unfortunately we picked the coldest night of the year (so far) to go out, last Tues. Nov. 18. But inside all was cozy, & everyone liked their dinner choices. I had the squid-ink pasta filled with shrimp & cheese, which was excellent, & the wine choice the server suggested for me was great -- similar to a cab, very full bodied. One of my friends ordered the fish dish, which she was very happy with, & my other friend had the duck moussaka, which she said was very tasty. So, all in all, a very enjoyable evening. When we first arrived, I believe we were the only diners in the restaurant...but by the time we left, about 8 p.m., the place was packed, which certainly says something about the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your typically "american" greek food.AriabelleDined on 11/16/2014We went here as an office meeting for dinner. There was a great variety of things on the menu here, with their specialties being fish, and many things I had never seen or heard of. I tried the monkfish over steamed veggies and the duck moussaka. Both were fabulous. Then we ordered the special dessert of the night, a greek yogurt cheesecake... that was unforgettably good! I would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4th time not quite the charmBayAreaNativeVIPDined on 11/16/2014This was my fourth time over three years at Mourayo. The food remains completely authentic in terms of its Greek roots so I anticipate returning. But for whatever reason the service was not as attentive as in the past; they are always busy so it can't have been just that. Their fish is terrifically prepared, whether octopus, dorado, or shellfish, and those who chose pork and lamb were equally as happy. The wine list is completely limited to Greek wines but the servers are generally quite knowledgeable about them and point you in the right direction. I have not had dessert but those around me seemed happy. One of the two best restaurants for sure on this awesome foodie block of Connecticut Avenue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining experienceME84Dined on 11/15/2014Everyone from the host, to the buss people were very nice and knowledgeable about the dishes and were able to give excellent recommendations. The atmosphere was nice and quiet as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my very favorite restaurants.DCKateDined on 11/15/2014The service and food are outstanding. Have visited many times and it just keeps delighting. Especially enjoy the black ravioli but everything my husband and I have tried was delicious. Great Greek wines. We were entertaining out of town guests who were very impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerriDined on 11/8/2014What a pleasant surprise, lovely restaurant with great food and excellent service - close to our apartment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek FoodporcpineDined on 11/8/2014This restaurant has been a favorite for years. Authentic Greek food with excellent service, an expert maitre d', and family-bottled olive oil with the warm fresh pita. Great desserts, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- catching up with friendstinaDined on 11/8/2014We came to D.C. to visit family and wanted to meet up with some friends who live there. They suggested Mourayo and we all were delighted with the quiet seating, wonderful food and great service. We all had different things and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the meal, wine and desserts. We will be back!Special Features:
- Very accommodating service212ConsultantVIPDined on 11/6/2014Originally had a table for 9, needed to get to 17 in short-order and they met the need!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Wine Reccommendation EverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014I've eaten lunch at Mourayo many times so we decided to take our out of town friends there for dinner. We described the kind of wine that we like and the waitress picked a perfect bottle from Santorini. It set the tone for a delightful evening with delicious food. Our guests loved the lamb chops (as did I) and pork medallions and my husband devoured his lamb stew. Along with salads and a shared appetizer, it was a great meal. Our only regret was we were too full to try the desserts that sounded wonderful.Special Features:
- Great GreekLikeISeeItVIPDined on 11/3/2014I've eaten here a couple of times and the food and service are both great. Authentic Greek food, wine, olives....staff is friendly and helpful with recommendations if you are unfamiliar with Greek wine. (BTW, you should learn about them. Very good!) I love the branzino but will try to branch out next time.Special Features:
- Authentic imaginative Greek cuisineJohnEOVIPDined on 11/3/2014Visited with friends who are frequent diners at Mourayo, which offers good authentic and imaginative Greek cuisine with good service. Expensive overpriced wine list, however, but fine dining with some very good Greek specials. Started with taramasalata and pitta bread. Then, I had the some beautiful home-cooked lamb with vegetables and feta cheese. A splendid evening with very good service. Not cheap, however.Special Features:
- mediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2014nice décor, service was pleasant (but they did not get our order right), food was incredibly mediocre. We ordered five small dishes and not one was really good (and one--the butternut squash dish) was virtually inedible.
- EmilyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2014Mourayo is a lovely spot on Connecticut Ave., within easy walking distance of the metro. I would describe it as upscale Greek, and everything we ordered was delicious, right down to the pita. Our entrees were lamb stew with orzo and a fabulous duck moussaka. All the wines are Greek, including a wonderful retsina. And it's quiet enough for a conversation. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Enjoyed a fun Sunday night dinner...ensemble appetizer was delightful and an elevation of the traditional humus, taramasalata. My dish of salt cod was very nice; my husband's monkfish lacked salt and there was none on the table. Wines by the glass were very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014The octopus appetizer is ok. It was undercook but they took it in and grill it again for us. Delicious fresh branzino fish and lamb chops as entree. The yogurt dessert is awesome. Decent service. I definitely would come back.Special Features:
- PaulieDined on 10/24/2014The food was excellent, the service friendly, warm and welcoming. The Greek salad was the best I have had outside of Greece. I would like there to be a less expensive house wine by the glass. We keep returning because we like the food the atmosphere and the personalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingdinerindcDined on 10/21/2014The portions were ample, but the food was mediocre. I had the mussels appetizer which smelled overly "fishy" and tasted bland. The beet salad was simple, but good. The baklava was awful.
- Yummy and welcomingall4thefoodDined on 10/17/2014Duck moussaka and lamb stew with orzo (with hint of cinnamon) were mouth watering renderings of the traditional dishes. We were given plenty of time for the four of us to enjoy our cocktails (including a nice bourbon old fashioned) and meal, but friendly service was there whenever we needed it. Took good advantage of the dessert sampling; don't forget the yogurt!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great p[ace eat;v good foodfussyfoodieDined on 10/13/2014good place to talk and eat. Good food and atmosphere/Special Features:
- Good Food Terrible ServiceknowfoodDined on 10/11/2014The major problem I had was with the service. During our main course we were not checked on at all. We wanted to order another glass of wine with our main course. Yet, we were unable to flag down our server for over 30 minutes. Moreover, when we told the busboy that we wanted to order another glass of wine, he told our server and the server still did not bring the wine. When it was time to order dessert we said we wanted to see a menu. It took over 20 minutes for the menus to come, and by that time we were not going to wait to order dessert. At the end of the meal the restaurant wanted to charge us for the wine we never received. Thank god we looked at the bill before paying. Food solid. Mains good but octopus app was chewy.
- Good but not greatEllysownDined on 10/11/2014The food is good, very small portions for what they are charging
- OutstandingMindful1Dined on 10/11/2014Excellent service, innovative menu, delicious appetizers. Everything fresh. Very accommodating staff. Lovely ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good!GoNaBADined on 10/3/2014Mourayo is a DC gem. Consistently good and a big favorite of ours. Please do NOT go there. We want it all to ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed itEaterVIPDined on 10/2/2014The whole fish was delicious. We enjoyed a variety of appetizers. The pita bread was awesome.
- Delicious diningRRNjoysgudfudDined on 10/2/2014Our experience at Mourayo was perfect, from the welcome to the wine to appetizers to main courses. The food was delicious and was presented beautifully, and the service was excellent. It was highly recommended to us, and it seemed to be a popular restaurant, filling up early on a week night.Special Features:
- Upscale Greek farefussyDined on 9/28/2014very delicious food-- all guests at our table were very satisfiedl. and the price was reasonable for quality of food.Special Features:
- Great Food, Nice Staff, But...OmnivoriousVIPDined on 9/28/2014Been here many times. Love the food (especially the fish) and the staff is friendly and courteous, BUT about half the time you go there, they simply don't have enough wait staff. On this busy (admittedly) Sunday evening. The poor manager was running around trying to help what appeared to be one waitress and busboy serve at least a dozen tables. The predicatable result is empty water glasses and wine servings that suddenly appear when the meal is almost finished. This place is great, but they really need to fix this issue. I'll still go back, because the voskous (sp?) salad, any fish, and the lamb stew are divine. Just don't be in a hurry.Special Features:
- FATgooddealVIPDined on 9/26/2014The veal shortribs were too fatty. Two were completely fat with no meat at all. Others were heavily fatty! appetizers were much better than entrees
- KaloramaDined on 9/20/2014Return visit was even more memorable than before - everything very tasty and well prepared, Greek-inspired but not cliche. Excellent service from waiter and support personnel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and foodMichaelGDined on 9/19/2014Really enjoyed the people here, and I loved the food. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great Greek FoodTravelduoDined on 9/18/2014All 6 people at our table enjoyed their food. It is gourmet Greek that is not pretentious. We shared 2 appetizers, had 6 entrees, and a dessert platter. All the food came out artfully prepared and tasted delicious. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Good GreekSueFDined on 9/11/2014Genuine Greek food in a cosy atmosphere - was like being back in Santorini.Special Features:
- sseatsVIPDined on 9/8/2014Many good small plates. First server was very knowledgeable and offered samples of wine. But as is often the case in many restaurants, could not find a server to help us after our entree was eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quiet couples eveningaaaaVIPDined on 9/7/2014Exceptional, professional, and friendly/personable staff. Grilled Octopus in ink appetizer was yummy. The elegant presentation of our main entrees of shrimp filled ravioli and pork loin medallions tasted fine but sadly did not meet our expectations. On the other hand, the recommended wine pairing (of native Greek wine - Adoli Ghis and Malagouzia) was fantastic. I would visit again but would focus on appetizers and wine. CheersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousetp10Dined on 9/6/2014Went to Mourayo early on a saturday which was clearly not a prime time. It was empty. The service was great as would be expected when there is no one else. The food was the highlight though, everything was delicious. Would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceRichDined on 9/5/2014It was absolutely wonderful. The food and the ambience were excellent.Special Features:
- Oasis in DuPontGNZmarchDined on 9/5/2014Charming neighborhood restaurant. Excellent and attentive service. Delicious sampler of pita and speciality dips. Nice assortment of small plates and entrees. Quiet, good place to talk and catch up we friends. Elegant classic wooden long bar. Amid the Connecticut corridor bustle, a welcome respite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.