1732-1734 Connecticut Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://mourayous.com/
- Phone: 2026672100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Mnday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5;00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Mourayo can host your catering needs. The restaurant can accommodate groups of 20-30 persons in a new section of the dining room without a restaurant buy-out. We can provide set or customized menus.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8558213819
A word from Mourayo
“Mourayo” is Greek for safe harbor where fishermen moor their boats. Mourayo offers healthy, fresh, innovatively refined Greek cuisine. Our regional variations on meats, fish, poultry and legumes have been inspired by the traditional Greek and Mediterranean food culture. We aspire to present an original cuisine concept of this coastal land of blue skies and sparkling blue waters with its thousands of islands! Let us sail you to the Aegean Sea and experience Greek cuisine like never before. We validate Parking after 5:30pm at 2001 S Street (Laz Parking) Monday-FridayContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mourayo reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (57)special occasion (31)romantic (24)great for lunch (21)notable wine list (19)good for groups (15)late-night find (6)great for brunch (4)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- DisappointingdinerindcDined on 10/21/2014The portions were ample, but the food was mediocre. I had the mussels appetizer which smelled overly "fishy" and tasted bland. The beet salad was simple, but good. The baklava was awful.
- Yummy and welcomingall4thefoodDined on 10/17/2014Duck moussaka and lamb stew with orzo (with hint of cinnamon) were mouth watering renderings of the traditional dishes. We were given plenty of time for the four of us to enjoy our cocktails (including a nice bourbon old fashioned) and meal, but friendly service was there whenever we needed it. Took good advantage of the dessert sampling; don't forget the yogurt!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great p[ace eat;v good foodfussyfoodieDined on 10/13/2014good place to talk and eat. Good food and atmosphere/Special Features:
- Good Food Terrible ServiceknowfoodDined on 10/11/2014The major problem I had was with the service. During our main course we were not checked on at all. We wanted to order another glass of wine with our main course. Yet, we were unable to flag down our server for over 30 minutes. Moreover, when we told the busboy that we wanted to order another glass of wine, he told our server and the server still did not bring the wine. When it was time to order dessert we said we wanted to see a menu. It took over 20 minutes for the menus to come, and by that time we were not going to wait to order dessert. At the end of the meal the restaurant wanted to charge us for the wine we never received. Thank god we looked at the bill before paying. Food solid. Mains good but octopus app was chewy.
- Good but not greatEllysownDined on 10/11/2014The food is good, very small portions for what they are charging
- OutstandingMindful1Dined on 10/11/2014Excellent service, innovative menu, delicious appetizers. Everything fresh. Very accommodating staff. Lovely ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good!GoNaBADined on 10/3/2014Mourayo is a DC gem. Consistently good and a big favorite of ours. Please do NOT go there. We want it all to ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed itEaterVIPDined on 10/2/2014The whole fish was delicious. We enjoyed a variety of appetizers. The pita bread was awesome.
- Delicious diningRRNjoysgudfudDined on 10/2/2014Our experience at Mourayo was perfect, from the welcome to the wine to appetizers to main courses. The food was delicious and was presented beautifully, and the service was excellent. It was highly recommended to us, and it seemed to be a popular restaurant, filling up early on a week night.Special Features:
- Upscale Greek farefussyDined on 9/28/2014very delicious food-- all guests at our table were very satisfiedl. and the price was reasonable for quality of food.Special Features:
- Great Food, Nice Staff, But...OmnivoriousVIPDined on 9/28/2014Been here many times. Love the food (especially the fish) and the staff is friendly and courteous, BUT about half the time you go there, they simply don't have enough wait staff. On this busy (admittedly) Sunday evening. The poor manager was running around trying to help what appeared to be one waitress and busboy serve at least a dozen tables. The predicatable result is empty water glasses and wine servings that suddenly appear when the meal is almost finished. This place is great, but they really need to fix this issue. I'll still go back, because the voskous (sp?) salad, any fish, and the lamb stew are divine. Just don't be in a hurry.Special Features:
- FATgooddealVIPDined on 9/26/2014The veal shortribs were too fatty. Two were completely fat with no meat at all. Others were heavily fatty! appetizers were much better than entrees
- KaloramaDined on 9/20/2014Return visit was even more memorable than before - everything very tasty and well prepared, Greek-inspired but not cliche. Excellent service from waiter and support personnel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and foodMichaelGDined on 9/19/2014Really enjoyed the people here, and I loved the food. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great Greek FoodTravelduoDined on 9/18/2014All 6 people at our table enjoyed their food. It is gourmet Greek that is not pretentious. We shared 2 appetizers, had 6 entrees, and a dessert platter. All the food came out artfully prepared and tasted delicious. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Good GreekSueFDined on 9/11/2014Genuine Greek food in a cosy atmosphere - was like being back in Santorini.Special Features:
- sseatsVIPDined on 9/8/2014Many good small plates. First server was very knowledgeable and offered samples of wine. But as is often the case in many restaurants, could not find a server to help us after our entree was eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A quiet couples eveningaaaaVIPDined on 9/7/2014Exceptional, professional, and friendly/personable staff. Grilled Octopus in ink appetizer was yummy. The elegant presentation of our main entrees of shrimp filled ravioli and pork loin medallions tasted fine but sadly did not meet our expectations. On the other hand, the recommended wine pairing (of native Greek wine - Adoli Ghis and Malagouzia) was fantastic. I would visit again but would focus on appetizers and wine. CheersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousetp10Dined on 9/6/2014Went to Mourayo early on a saturday which was clearly not a prime time. It was empty. The service was great as would be expected when there is no one else. The food was the highlight though, everything was delicious. Would definitely recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceRichDined on 9/5/2014It was absolutely wonderful. The food and the ambience were excellent.Special Features:
- Oasis in DuPontGNZmarchDined on 9/5/2014Charming neighborhood restaurant. Excellent and attentive service. Delicious sampler of pita and speciality dips. Nice assortment of small plates and entrees. Quiet, good place to talk and catch up we friends. Elegant classic wooden long bar. Amid the Connecticut corridor bustle, a welcome respite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Greek, impeccable servicerpenovichDined on 9/5/2014Lovely white tablecloth Greek restaurant with impeccable service and thoughtfully prepared food. We ate there for lunch so didn't experience the dinner menu and we would definitely go back for dinner. Wonderful lamb chops; a beautiful Greek tomato, cucumber, olive salad; the best feta we have ever tasted. Many tempting seafood dishes I'd like to try next time, including a whole roasted branzino that the maitre'd masterfully boned and plated for the table next to us. Don't expect gyros or spanakopita. Do expect to eat like you are dining on the Adriatic.Special Features:
- Delicious vegetarian samplerRandomReviewerVIPDined on 9/2/2014Lunchtime bonus: one of the soup offerings was carrot, vegetarian. The service was attentive but not imposing. The iced tea a refreshing non-alcoholic alternative to the Greek wines. One of my fingerling potato pieces was a little too brown, and the whole wheat version of the pita tasted a little yeasty to me, but those were minor detractions from an overall wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014I liked the food very much and thought the service was good. I do not know a lot about Greek wines, but the waiter recommended one I was pleased with. The quality is well above what is typical along that part of Connecticut Ave. Could be a good spot for a special meal occasion. Noise level a bit high, but if you arrive at 8 or so it soon falls to more agreeable levels. Staff very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2014This place has the best combination of higher-end dining without a ridiculous price tab and exceptional yet friendly service. Maitre 'd was exceptional.... looked out for our every need! I didn't give it 5 stars because, even though my friend's grilled bronzino was perfect, I had the mixed grill; which was over-cooked and cold when it came out. I didn't mention anything about it, but I have no doubt that they would have taken care of it if I had. Overall, this is a real gem in DuPont Circle.Special Features:
- Wonderful service, great foodDCZooVIPDined on 8/24/2014We don't live far and love greek food. For some reason we forget about this spot, so it was good to find it again on a night out with friends. The food was delicious (especially the whole branzino roasted in salt) and I can't say enough about the server. She was attentive to one in our group with celiac, and though our group arrived at different times, was able to get everyone drinks or food promptly. We will go back again
- Great ScallopsmajetcDined on 8/22/2014Service was great. Thank you Sofia. The scallops were the best we ever had; moist and flavorful. The seared Ahi was a generous serving; but the combination of capers and kalamata olives proved too salty and overpowered all the delicate flavors. After scraping off the capers, the dish was much more enjoyable. Also, the tuna was a little too done for my taste; I would have preferred it to be very rare. The tuna was cooked to medium; but, that may be a regional thing.Special Features:
- great neighborhood restaurantdannsamjVIPDined on 8/19/2014I enjoyed the Dupont Circle restaurant very much. so convenient to the Metro and a delicious Greek/Italian menu.Special Features:
- Very nice Greek foodHKLandDined on 8/18/2014Great, more upscale Greek food. Service was great and the food was quite yummy! Really good main course dishes in the right proportions. I would go again for sure.Special Features:
- Lovely lunch at MourayoJasmineVIPDined on 8/14/2014I went to Mourayo for lunch during Restaurant Week. There were a number of great choices on the Restaurant Week menu, and the quality of the food was excellent. What a great deal!Special Features:
- Excellent Restaurant Week lunchWayneDined on 8/13/2014Good choices for specials. We had the salmon and the chicken entrees, soup and bean salad for appetizers, and the yogurt and cake for desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!number17Dined on 8/2/2014Not your traditional greek food with souvlaki etc., but my wife and I enjoyed the food at Mourayo!
- Above average Greek fare.DinersDriveInsandDebDined on 8/1/2014First time back at Mourayo since my first visit a couple of years ago. Mostly very good, but not as great as I remembered it. One appetizer, the fava beans, was very bland and dry. The meatball appetizer was tasty and moist. The feta, cucumber and onion salad was plentiful, fresh, and tasty, but nothing original or notable about it. The monkfish entree and scallop entree were delicious and perfectly cooked, if a tad over salted. Unless you're familiar with Greek wines or can translate Greek, the wine list can be tricky to navigate, but our wonderful server (sorry, I can't recall her name!) made some great recommendations that suited our tastes perfectly! We were seated immediately for our 8 pm reservation. Service was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surpriseMorrVIPDined on 7/31/2014I'd been to Mourayo several times, but not in the past year. I was happily surprised at the refreshing cucumber and yogurt soup and the chicken with herbs and honey.Special Features:
- Always EnjoyabletheaspDined on 7/31/2014We too two summer interns who had no experience with Greek food to lunch for their farewell. They both were young and realitvely narrow and parochial in their food choices. They came out of the one and half hours happy, well-rounded and much more appreciate of adventures in eating. They met and liked taramosalata, tzatziki and several other mezzedes. They are both from ut side the Washington area but I am sure Mourayo will rank high on their list if/when they come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014Excellent dinner at Mourayo the other night. I had the branzino baked in salt, which is always very good. My guests had the lamb chops and the pork medallions and were very please with their dishes. Service was very attentive but not insrusive.Special Features:
- Mid-week business lunchDinnerDivaVIPDined on 7/30/2014The setting worked well for a 3-person mid-week business lunch -- quiet enough for conversation, varied menu to suit everyone's tastes, above-average preparation and quality.Special Features:
- ExcellentAKG729Dined on 7/29/2014I have dined at Mourayo for lunch and dinner and had drinks at the bar over the past few years. Always perfect service and delicious and creative food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!foodcomaVIPDined on 7/27/2014Loved the place..Tried the lamb dish and loved it..the servers were friendly and helpful!Special Features:
- Great Greek winesWillVIPDined on 7/26/2014Our waiter took the time to give us an impromptu wine tasting of several delicious white wine they were serving by the glass. It was a nice touch and contributed greatly to our enjoyment of our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.