1732-1734 Connecticut Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://mourayous.com/
- Phone: 2026672100
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Mnday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5;00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Mourayo can host your catering needs. The restaurant can accommodate groups of 20-30 persons in a new section of the dining room without a restaurant buy-out. We can provide set or customized menus.
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8558213819
A word from Mourayo
“Mourayo” is Greek for safe harbor where fishermen moor their boats. Mourayo offers healthy, fresh, innovatively refined Greek cuisine. Our regional variations on meats, fish, poultry and legumes have been inspired by the traditional Greek and Mediterranean food culture. We aspire to present an original cuisine concept of this coastal land of blue skies and sparkling blue waters with its thousands of islands! Let us sail you to the Aegean Sea and experience Greek cuisine like never before. We validate Parking after 5:30pm at 2001 S Street (Laz Parking) Monday-FridayContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mourayo reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (66)neighborhood gem (63)special occasion (37)romantic (25)notable wine list (20)great for lunch (20)good for groups (12)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Wonderful service, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/24/2014We don't live far and love greek food. For some reason we forget about this spot, so it was good to find it again on a night out with friends. The food was delicious (especially the whole branzino roasted in salt) and I can't say enough about the server. She was attentive to one in our group with celiac, and though our group arrived at different times, was able to get everyone drinks or food promptly. We will go back again
- Great ScallopsmajetcDined on 8/22/2014Service was great. Thank you Sofia. The scallops were the best we ever had; moist and flavorful. The seared Ahi was a generous serving; but the combination of capers and kalamata olives proved too salty and overpowered all the delicate flavors. After scraping off the capers, the dish was much more enjoyable. Also, the tuna was a little too done for my taste; I would have preferred it to be very rare. The tuna was cooked to medium; but, that may be a regional thing.Special Features:
- great neighborhood restaurantdannsamjVIPDined on 8/19/2014I enjoyed the Dupont Circle restaurant very much. so convenient to the Metro and a delicious Greek/Italian menu.Special Features:
- Very nice Greek foodHKLandDined on 8/18/2014Great, more upscale Greek food. Service was great and the food was quite yummy! Really good main course dishes in the right proportions. I would go again for sure.Special Features:
- Lovely lunch at MourayoJasmineVIPDined on 8/14/2014I went to Mourayo for lunch during Restaurant Week. There were a number of great choices on the Restaurant Week menu, and the quality of the food was excellent. What a great deal!Special Features:
- Excellent Restaurant Week lunchWayneDined on 8/13/2014Good choices for specials. We had the salmon and the chicken entrees, soup and bean salad for appetizers, and the yogurt and cake for desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!number17Dined on 8/2/2014Not your traditional greek food with souvlaki etc., but my wife and I enjoyed the food at Mourayo!
- Above average Greek fare.DinersDriveInsandDebDined on 8/1/2014First time back at Mourayo since my first visit a couple of years ago. Mostly very good, but not as great as I remembered it. One appetizer, the fava beans, was very bland and dry. The meatball appetizer was tasty and moist. The feta, cucumber and onion salad was plentiful, fresh, and tasty, but nothing original or notable about it. The monkfish entree and scallop entree were delicious and perfectly cooked, if a tad over salted. Unless you're familiar with Greek wines or can translate Greek, the wine list can be tricky to navigate, but our wonderful server (sorry, I can't recall her name!) made some great recommendations that suited our tastes perfectly! We were seated immediately for our 8 pm reservation. Service was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surpriseMorrVIPDined on 7/31/2014I'd been to Mourayo several times, but not in the past year. I was happily surprised at the refreshing cucumber and yogurt soup and the chicken with herbs and honey.Special Features:
- Always EnjoyabletheaspDined on 7/31/2014We too two summer interns who had no experience with Greek food to lunch for their farewell. They both were young and realitvely narrow and parochial in their food choices. They came out of the one and half hours happy, well-rounded and much more appreciate of adventures in eating. They met and liked taramosalata, tzatziki and several other mezzedes. They are both from ut side the Washington area but I am sure Mourayo will rank high on their list if/when they come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014Excellent dinner at Mourayo the other night. I had the branzino baked in salt, which is always very good. My guests had the lamb chops and the pork medallions and were very please with their dishes. Service was very attentive but not insrusive.Special Features:
- Mid-week business lunchDinnerDivaVIPDined on 7/30/2014The setting worked well for a 3-person mid-week business lunch -- quiet enough for conversation, varied menu to suit everyone's tastes, above-average preparation and quality.Special Features:
- ExcellentAKG729Dined on 7/29/2014I have dined at Mourayo for lunch and dinner and had drinks at the bar over the past few years. Always perfect service and delicious and creative food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!foodcomaVIPDined on 7/27/2014Loved the place..Tried the lamb dish and loved it..the servers were friendly and helpful!Special Features:
- Great Greek winesWillVIPDined on 7/26/2014Our waiter took the time to give us an impromptu wine tasting of several delicious white wine they were serving by the glass. It was a nice touch and contributed greatly to our enjoyment of our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Total Hidden GemesquirebabeVIPDined on 7/25/2014You've probably walked right by Mourayo many times (just like we had). But next time you should walk in. And eat. And eat. And eat. We didn't have anything that wasn't superb and lovely. From the oyster mushrooms with tomatoes and feta to grilled octopus to the shrimp in tomato and ouzo to the crabmeat and cheese pastries to the duck moussaka to the dessert platter. And the wines and the service were spot on, too. The latter being helpful and friendly but not pushy. We plan to go back here many times more and bring all our friends and family. You should, too.Special Features:
- great foodGreek1spotDined on 7/21/2014It was my birthday and they gave me the best service and awesome food. Everyone had a delighful timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attention to detailOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/19/2014Once again, Mourayo excels. I can't say we're regulars, but we go often and have always had excellent food and service. I love this place! On this past visit, we were seated at a 4-top right by the huge front floor to ceiling window, which was open for the unusually cool summer evening. We had just begun to get restless after too much time went by without a greeting from a server when the maître d' reappeared to apologize profusely; he brought our cocktails and told us they were on the house - very nice gesture. The "Symposium" appetizer assortment is marvelous. Thank you Mourayo for not mis-using "entrée" for main course - it means the "entry" to the meal, or the appetizer, people!Special Features:
- Always superb.GranBosqueDined on 7/19/2014This is the best Mediterranean food in DC, period!Special Features:
- One Special EveningezknoxvilleDined on 7/18/2014My close friend was traveling with her grandson and had always assumed he could not go to a nicer unique restaurant for fear of his actions. We chose a late reservation (9:15) in hopes it would not be too crowded and took a risk by choosing Mourayo as it is a very nice restaurant and we would most likely need to leave if it didn’t go well. With their guidance, we choose a wonderful Greek bottle of wine and created a “tasting menu” from several small plates and one main dish. At one point my guest commented she was so impressed when she overheard the Maître d stating softly to one of the servers; “Fresh plates for table 19”. I must say, the food was perfect, the wine was perfect, and overall Mourayo exceeded our expectations in every way.Special Features:
- A visit to the Greek IslesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/18/2014BF and I enjoyed this cozy, relaxed bit of Greece on Conn Ave. Started off with wonderful warm pita & olive oil. Shared the tasty Salata Santorini followed by perfectly cooked lamb chops for BF and an amazing ravioli "Vytina" for me. The tender raviolis were stuffed with shrimp and cheese in a delightful light lobster-Greek brandy reduction. The Adoni's Secret of ravani cake was a satisfying way to end dinner on a sweet note. We are skeptical of Greek wines, but after a recommended first bottle was too acetic to our liking, the manager brought over another bottle for us to taste which was so much better and was glad to switch out bottles to ensure our pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in graceful ambiencemimaof4VIPDined on 7/16/2014Lunch was delicious. Food is healthful, attractively presented in modest quantities. One can enjoy the flavors while not over-eating. Service was quiet, efficient, friendly (but not overly so). Restaurant is small but very attractively designed, with blues providing a sense of sea. Windows opening to the sidewalk make one feel as though eating outdoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodbeafishDined on 7/15/2014We loved the food. The service was terrific. The place is loud but SO MANY are. I don't go out nearly as much as I might because I can't take the volume. I want to converse with the people I am dining with. Sigh. Other than that...this is a very good restaurant. The prices are reasonable for some terrific food. Also I am a vegetarian and they have lots of choices. We all enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Too posh for GreekMamaPoohDined on 7/15/2014I'm Greek and my parents own tow Greek restaurants in the town I'm from… I visit Greece every other year… I know Greek food. The food here was really tasty but not really Greek. When I go out of town and seek Greek food I'm really looking for comfort food and this place just didn't have it. If this is your first experience with Greek food please don't think this is what traditional Greek is. It is wonderful fancy Greek food though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2014Had a nice dinner with group of 4. Salad was divine. Roasted lamb special was tasty but a slightly dry/tough. My companions enjoyed their entrees thoroughly. Service was friendly and gracious.
- pmccroskVIPDined on 7/11/2014upscale Greek food, with innovative preparations, done very well. Incredibly well informed server, with attentive but not stifling service. gracious and helpful maitre de. Would definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 7/11/2014I can not rave about this restaurant enough. The food, service and ambiance were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GreekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/10/2014The egg plant appetizer was wonderful followed by a steak cooked to perfection and fabulous baclava not too sweet just fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous dinneryvo3Dined on 6/27/2014the pork loin medalions with figs etc were to die for; the filet mignon was perfectly doneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!Chris0814Dined on 6/26/2014The salted Bronzino is amazing. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and delicious GreekCtvisitorDined on 6/18/2014It's all about good food. Some of the best dishes are very simple, salad of cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, olives, and feta--well executed and made with great ingredients--as were with pastries filled with spinach, green onions and mint. The meatballs with yoghurt sauce were winners too.Special Features:
- Stick to appetizersmarybindcDined on 6/17/2014We had some great appetizers here: sardines, anchovies, and sesame coated cheese with mixed vegetables were all winners. Some of our main courses were a bit more pedestrian, unfortunately. The Lavraki me Aginares (Fresh branzino fillet with a sauce of artichokes, carrots, fennel seeds and herbs) was vastly overcooked and tasteless. The pasta with rabbit ragout was fine, but nothing special. The pork loin medallions were plated gorgeously, and were tasty. The server did a good job of recommending a wine to accommodate all of our tastes. The decor is a bit late-80s seafood theme, though if you're near the front of the restaurant it's nice and bright with large windows.
- JohnDined on 6/15/2014Outstanding Greek Fare! Propmpt and Courteous servcie. We sat at a table facing Conneticut Ave at an open window to enjoy the ambiance.Special Features:
- DisappointedluvthisplaceDined on 6/14/2014Good but not as great as reviews indicated. Food a little bland and service inattentive. Had to ask for water, wine, etc. What more can I say.Special Features:
- Authentic GreekDCBoomerDined on 6/13/2014Not your average gyros place. We had a wonderful, authentic Greek dinner here. For our starters my wife had the Melitzanosalata appetizer and I had the Salata Santorini. Then, she had the Giouvetsi stin Gastra (lamb stew) and I had the Pythagoras “Theorema” (pork loin medallions) as our main courses. Dinner was accompanied by a very good Greek wine, too (our first!) - the Mitravelas, Estate, Nemea (Agiorgitiko). Both our meals were prepared perfectly and the mix of flavors was spot on. Service was very good, as well. Our server knew both the dishes and the wines and made sure what we drank paired nicely with what we ate. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- great for groupsftailVIPDined on 6/11/2014And we had a fairly big one. Excellent service, food quite good and a nice variety that well accommodated a range of picky eaters. Thanks for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Greek TreasureBritinDCVIPDined on 6/10/2014I've never been a fan of Greek cuisine until now. A group of us took a friend out for his birthday and Mourayo was his choice and we all enjoyed the experience thoroughly. The only critique I will make is that the entries should include more vegetables as accompaniments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gourmetteDined on 6/5/2014Ate at Mourayo for lunch...Have eaten there a number of times and have always liked it for its focus on fish. Had monk fish with tomato, olives and eggplant, which was excellent. My only reservation was that for some reason the service lagged--we were behind others who came in later. But I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek Gem!lekkerDined on 5/28/2014The colorful, relaxing décor, warm ambience and welcoming, friendly staff got our visit off to a great start. Servers were knowledgeable and provided excellent descriptions of the menu offerings. The seafood platter was especially outstanding with each portion of octopus, shrimp, fish, and squid exquisitely prepared with a combination of vegetables, herbs and sauces perfectly balanced to accent their taste. Fresh, grilled sardines were an unexpected delight. Of course pita bread and olive oil were at hand to help swirl up the delicious food. Our perfect dinner was completed with a pleasant Pinot Noir and a dessert sampler of exquisite Greek pastries.Special Features:
- Great Food - Relaxing AtmosphereSBMomVIPDined on 5/23/2014We have eaten here twice and both times the service has been wonderful and the food complex and very well done. The waiter was very well versed in the different wines and made recommendations that worked well with the food. We are looking forward to going again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.