Mountain View at Penn National Race Course
777 Hollywood Blvd
Grantville, PA 17028Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mountain View at Penn National Race Course
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hollywoodpnrc.com/Dining/Mountainview
- Phone: (717) 469-3555
- Hours of Operation:
January 1, 2014 through December 31, 2014: Dinner: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday (Open Live Race Days Only) 530pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Prime Rib, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ken Shapiro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Catch all the horse racing action from your trackside table while chef Ken Shapiro and his staff prepare sandwiches, appetizers, and entrees featuring grilled steaks, seafood and more, for your dining pleasure.
A word from Mountain View at Penn National Race Course
There's no better way to enjoy the thrills and excitement of live thoroughbred racing than watching the horses run from your own trackside table in Mountain View Dining. A complete menu from sandwiches, appetizers and entrees, along with nightly specials, are prepared by chef Ken Shapiro and staff. Or a drink at the Mountain View Lounge Bar makes this a winning experience from start to finish. (Mountain View Dining is only open on live racing nights).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mountain View at Penn National Race Course reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (39)good for groups (29)special occasion (21)kid-friendly (9)fit for foodies (8)late-night find (6)hot spot (4)great for lunch (3)romantic (3)notable wine list (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- great food, nice evening out with familygizzieDined on 11/22/2014The food was exceptional. I would give the meal a 9 out of 10. We all had the special which was a broiled seafood platter with salmon, haddock, shrimp, and scallops. It was over rice with a very light butter sauce. The only reason it didn't get a 10 as we all felt the rolls could have been better. They were just small plain, tasteless rolls. Servers were terrific!Special Features:
- Dining & racesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014As always, a nice evening. Good food, comfortable tables, great menu, and a good view of horse racing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent!K123Dined on 11/15/2014I dined here as part of a small group to celebrate a birthday. I ordered the $24 pasta (it was recommended by the waitress) and the French Onion soup. The soup was great, but the pasta, however, was terrible. The crab meat and prosciutto did not mix well together, nor did they mix well with the provided sauce. The pasta itself was also swimming in the sauce. I took three small bites. The waitress only asked me if I wanted a box, because I, clearly, had barely touched my plate. I didn't want to make a scene so I didn't ask for another order. However, I was surprised the waitress did not ask my opinion of the food. If she would have, I would have provided my opinion. It was very frustrating to have to pay $24 for a meal I didn't eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014All about the horse races. Great view of the track. Food's ok. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be prepared to waitFuntodoDined on 11/8/2014Enjoyed watching the races, reservation a must have, waiter informed us immediately there was a long wait for food, so ordered a bottle of wine and food came just before we finished wine food was fair to good two dinners with wine and tip around $90 no appetizers or desert, only go if you enjoy noise and like horse racingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time for a Fun Nightlove2comeDined on 11/8/2014Taking your guests for an enjoyable evening by visiting Penn National and also the casino. The food, service and ambiance was fantastic--couldn't be better. You don't even have to leave your table to bet on the horse races. Just put money on a card before you enter Mountainview Restaurant and you can place your bets on your table machine. It is a very relaxing evening. We go quite often. A good way to celebrate a birthday or anniversary too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as usualRobinZohnerDined on 11/7/2014I have been a long timer visiting the old building weekly and to be honest I thought I would miss the old building but to my surprise I love it the food was amazing the server was amazing and the drinks were right up there as well. Our server Joe was always eager to get anything we needed or wanted (he is a keeper) although our meal was comped we would have been more then happy to pay ourselves because everything was outstanding 5 star treatment it was nice for us as business owners to relax eat great amazing food have a few drinks and wind it was much needed time to relax and all was perfect thanks to all the amazing staffSpecial Features:
- ServicemessytableDined on 11/7/2014Our waiter was attentive. Our meal and drink orders were correct. However, I would have liked if our table of eight had been completely cleared after our meal. We stayed until after the last race and there were utensils, some food plates, etc. still cluttering the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Declined my open table pointslegaleagleDined on 11/1/2014The waitress/manager did NOT acknowledge the 100 Open Table points I was rewarded. They had no idea what the email was talking about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great steak specialOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/31/2014Had the rib-eye and shrimp special and was very pleased. Have always had good food and service.
- Race-track surpriseLancasterBillDined on 10/29/2014You would not expect to get fine food at a race-track. But this restaurant delighted all four of us our appetizers and entrees. Service was excellent, with drinks, appetizers and main course served at the pace we requested. The bonus is window-side seating near the finish line of the Penn National track, with nearby access to easy-to-use wagering kiosks. But you don't have to bet to be entertained with races every 25 minutes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible service. Below par food.HbgdinerDined on 10/24/2014Dinner for 2 was 90 dollars and inedible. Sent 2 things back, prime rib and crab dip. Waiter argued with us when we politely told him the issues. Kitchen and chef not up to par for the prices. More like old country buffet food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014GOOD FOOD,CLEAN AND WELL ORGANIZED.ALYSSA,our server,WAS EXCELLENTSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love2raceDined on 10/11/2014I absolutely love to come to Mountain View. I love the food and how easy it is to place bets on the horses. Everyone is always nice to us. I have brought several people with us an everyone has had a good time and want so come back when we come again. Busy for the rest of the fall and winter but we will be back in the Spring. Keep up the good work and Kudos to the Chef, have not had a bad meal yet.Special Features:
- PaulaDined on 10/3/2014Overall it was a fun great time, service was great. Prime rib, very good, Porterhouse a little tough and tasteless, kind of disapointed in that, desert excellant drinks v. Good. We all had a fun time, just wish steaks were better/tasteySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday nite at the racednmw922Dined on 9/27/2014I've been here numerous times over the years so I recommended it to a few friends and they absolutely loved it. We will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!!bowler7Dined on 9/13/2014Penn National's Mountain View was just great! Grand experience, everything was beyond expections. Will be back.Special Features:
- Just OKGreatDined on 8/29/2014Nothing to special here. But it is a great place to have a bite and watch the ponies. The last two times we were there we waited a very long time for drinks. This time our appetizer came before we even had water.Special Features:
- Mountain ViewtemmDined on 8/22/2014Great place to watch the races and have a very good meal.
- Perfect PartyTinaTigerof74Dined on 8/16/2014THe set up of our tables for 24 in our own section was perfect! Everything was so high class and the food choices were vast. Yet it was a casual, relaxed atmosphere if you chose or a fun time betting and watching the races!! Thank you for a great class reunion venue. Having the casino and other activities available gave us all options for the entire evening. We'll be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014ENJOYED OURSELVES, AND EVERYTHING WAS TO OUR LIKING--WILL RETURNSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ColdMrsGDined on 8/9/2014The table we were seated at was so cold I had to get up throughout dinner and stand out of the way of the air conditioner vents. The food was good though and the waitress pleasant. Prices were average for dining but menu is very limited however it does have a nice selection.Special Features:
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Had the Snow crab special could not believe the amount of food for the price. Will go back again before the summer is over to get it again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - Good TimedinefDined on 8/8/2014The food and the atmosphere at the Mountain View are great. I only have two suggestions. The seats/tables closet to the windows should be a little higher to provide a better view of the track. In addition, the menu is limited and should be expanded.Special Features:
- CaseyDSC2DACDined on 8/8/2014We enjoy coming down & watch the Horse's race, & have a nice Dinner. The food was good & racing was great. We had a great time. We plan to come back in the near future. We're from the 'Lehigh Valley'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horse races make for a fun eveningMarcDined on 8/2/2014The prime rib was an excellent choice. Although baked potatoes were basic and vegetables were very small serving. Apple pie was worth the calories.Special Features:
- Fun night outlove2comeDined on 8/2/2014The food at Penn National is great, the service was wonderful and it was a fun night. Nice place to take guests too. It is a very relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:
- Horse racing venue.ktowndenDined on 8/1/2014It's great to dine and bet on the horses at the same time!Special Features:
- Always fun2ofUsDined on 7/31/2014Staff needs traing on serving wine. Otherwise, good service, polite and timelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting night at Mountain ViewhammertimeDined on 7/31/2014The combination of excellent food with excellent service along with the Horse racing right outside your window along with the Casino downstairs made for a very exciting and enjoyable evening in the mountains of PA.Special Features:
- The following 389 reviews are from the Mountain View at Penn National Race Course reviews archive.
- great service2727hDined on 7/25/2014our server, Antonia, was fabulous. She was friendly and very efficient. we have found the food to be inconsistent, and management to be very "unhelpful" in making things right. Usually a fun night out with the added adventure of betting on the ponies.Special Features:
- GipperDined on 7/19/2014Jasmine was our server........great job as she was very attentive to meet our needs. The only negative comment is that I ordered a blackberry brandy and in two sips, it was gone......it measured about a tablespoon of liquid. The reservation to be seated at the finish line was followed and appreciated.Special Features:
- incredibly disappointedsusiejazzDined on 7/18/2014we thought that this would be a fun anniversary night out and booked a table. it was kinda fun having the ability to watch the races during dinner but the dinner itself weas very disappointing. the food itself was okay if overpriced with the exception of the clams which were incredibly overcooked. we ordered an appetizer and soup and both came together, before we could finish either our meal was served. no one came and took away the dirty soup and appetizer dishes throughout almost the entire meal. no one came and asked if we would like a refill on our drinks. it was more like we got seated, our food was all served almost together and we were forgotten until it was time to get rid of us.Special Features:
- Great Evening!MinionsDined on 7/12/2014What a great night! Everything was great. Food, service and location was fabulous! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I recommend the Mountain ViewGtrplyr55Dined on 7/12/2014Great food and service in a cadual atmosphere. Had fun watching the races while eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four for Dinner.AtthefinishlineDined on 7/11/2014We had a good time 7/11/14. The food was pretty good, two prime rib specials and two loaded salads. Won a few races, drank a little wine...life is good. We have not been here for years and now wonder why. For a fun night out and something different this would be the place to go. I thought the service was pretty good and we did not have any issues. Prices are not bad and if you win a few races who cares. We'll be back again soon.Special Features:
- First expperiencemamziDined on 7/3/2014This was our first visit to your restaurant. Overall, it was disappointing. Apparently there was a sudden influx of people/orders so the service to our table was very slow. The food was just OK. It was poor quality. The wait staff was pleasant but they seemed a bit scattered and rushed. It would have been nice if we could have been made aware of the seating options. We would have liked to be seated at a table with an interactive screen. Our request to have a table at the finish line was honored and appreciated. Hopefully our next experience will be better. Patty and TySpecial Features:
- Dining at Penn National Mt ViewoutwfriendsDined on 7/3/2014The food and service were mediocre at best. It is overpriced for the food and service quality. Prime rib was tougher than a cheap well done steak. The Nacho appetizers were ice cold and watery from the salsa. Although the waitress was friendly enough. She disappeared for long periods of time. It took over 30 minutes from the time we requested our check to the point where we actually paid. The environment is great for watching the races and having a drink but not for the food or service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014A nice place to eat and watch the horses race . The menu is limited and a little on the high side. The crab cakes are very delicious !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Review MountainView RestaurantSue79Dined on 6/28/2014We found this restaurant to be very enjoyable and will definitely visit again. The service was outstanding! My only critique would be to have a larger menu. We found the menu to be a little limited compared to other similar restaurants such as at Pocono Downs in Wilkes Barre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.