Mountain View at Penn National Race Course
777 Hollywood Blvd
Grantville, PA 17028Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mountain View at Penn National Race Course
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hollywoodpnrc.com/Dining/Mountainview
- Phone: 7174693555x
- Hours of Operation:
January 1, 2014 through December 31, 2014: Dinner: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday (Open Live Race Days Only) 530pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Prime Rib, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ken Shapiro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Catch all the horse racing action from your trackside table while chef Ken Shapiro and his staff prepare sandwiches, appetizers, and entrees featuring grilled steaks, seafood and more, for your dining pleasure.
A word from Mountain View at Penn National Race Course
There's no better way to enjoy the thrills and excitement of live thoroughbred racing than watching the horses run from your own trackside table in Mountain View Dining. A complete menu from sandwiches, appetizers and entrees, along with nightly specials, are prepared by chef Ken Shapiro and staff. Or a drink at the Mountain View Lounge Bar makes this a winning experience from start to finish. (Mountain View Dining is only open on live racing nights).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mountain View at Penn National Race Course reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (64)special occasion (42)good for groups (41)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (7)fit for foodies (7)romantic (6)late-night find (5)notable wine list (5)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)neighborhood gem (3)Show More
- Mountain ViewtemmDined on 8/22/2014Great place to watch the races and have a very good meal.
- Perfect PartyTinaTigerof74Dined on 8/16/2014THe set up of our tables for 24 in our own section was perfect! Everything was so high class and the food choices were vast. Yet it was a casual, relaxed atmosphere if you chose or a fun time betting and watching the races!! Thank you for a great class reunion venue. Having the casino and other activities available gave us all options for the entire evening. We'll be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014ENJOYED OURSELVES, AND EVERYTHING WAS TO OUR LIKING--WILL RETURNSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ColdMrsGDined on 8/9/2014The table we were seated at was so cold I had to get up throughout dinner and stand out of the way of the air conditioner vents. The food was good though and the waitress pleasant. Prices were average for dining but menu is very limited however it does have a nice selection.Special Features:
- Great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Had the Snow crab special could not believe the amount of food for the price. Will go back again before the summer is over to get it again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - Good TimedinefDined on 8/8/2014The food and the atmosphere at the Mountain View are great. I only have two suggestions. The seats/tables closet to the windows should be a little higher to provide a better view of the track. In addition, the menu is limited and should be expanded.Special Features:
- CaseyDSC2DACDined on 8/8/2014We enjoy coming down & watch the Horse's race, & have a nice Dinner. The food was good & racing was great. We had a great time. We plan to come back in the near future. We're from the 'Lehigh Valley'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horse races make for a fun eveningMarcDined on 8/2/2014The prime rib was an excellent choice. Although baked potatoes were basic and vegetables were very small serving. Apple pie was worth the calories.Special Features:
- Fun night outlove2comeDined on 8/2/2014The food at Penn National is great, the service was wonderful and it was a fun night. Nice place to take guests too. It is a very relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:
- Horse racing venue.ktowndenDined on 8/1/2014It's great to dine and bet on the horses at the same time!Special Features:
- Always fun2ofUsDined on 7/31/2014Staff needs traing on serving wine. Otherwise, good service, polite and timelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting night at Mountain ViewhammertimeDined on 7/31/2014The combination of excellent food with excellent service along with the Horse racing right outside your window along with the Casino downstairs made for a very exciting and enjoyable evening in the mountains of PA.Special Features:
- great service2727hDined on 7/25/2014our server, Antonia, was fabulous. She was friendly and very efficient. we have found the food to be inconsistent, and management to be very "unhelpful" in making things right. Usually a fun night out with the added adventure of betting on the ponies.Special Features:
- GipperDined on 7/19/2014Jasmine was our server........great job as she was very attentive to meet our needs. The only negative comment is that I ordered a blackberry brandy and in two sips, it was gone......it measured about a tablespoon of liquid. The reservation to be seated at the finish line was followed and appreciated.Special Features:
- incredibly disappointedsusiejazzDined on 7/18/2014we thought that this would be a fun anniversary night out and booked a table. it was kinda fun having the ability to watch the races during dinner but the dinner itself weas very disappointing. the food itself was okay if overpriced with the exception of the clams which were incredibly overcooked. we ordered an appetizer and soup and both came together, before we could finish either our meal was served. no one came and took away the dirty soup and appetizer dishes throughout almost the entire meal. no one came and asked if we would like a refill on our drinks. it was more like we got seated, our food was all served almost together and we were forgotten until it was time to get rid of us.Special Features:
- Great Evening!MinionsDined on 7/12/2014What a great night! Everything was great. Food, service and location was fabulous! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I recommend the Mountain ViewGtrplyr55Dined on 7/12/2014Great food and service in a cadual atmosphere. Had fun watching the races while eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Four for Dinner.AtthefinishlineDined on 7/11/2014We had a good time 7/11/14. The food was pretty good, two prime rib specials and two loaded salads. Won a few races, drank a little wine...life is good. We have not been here for years and now wonder why. For a fun night out and something different this would be the place to go. I thought the service was pretty good and we did not have any issues. Prices are not bad and if you win a few races who cares. We'll be back again soon.Special Features:
- First expperiencemamziDined on 7/3/2014This was our first visit to your restaurant. Overall, it was disappointing. Apparently there was a sudden influx of people/orders so the service to our table was very slow. The food was just OK. It was poor quality. The wait staff was pleasant but they seemed a bit scattered and rushed. It would have been nice if we could have been made aware of the seating options. We would have liked to be seated at a table with an interactive screen. Our request to have a table at the finish line was honored and appreciated. Hopefully our next experience will be better. Patty and TySpecial Features:
- Dining at Penn National Mt ViewoutwfriendsDined on 7/3/2014The food and service were mediocre at best. It is overpriced for the food and service quality. Prime rib was tougher than a cheap well done steak. The Nacho appetizers were ice cold and watery from the salsa. Although the waitress was friendly enough. She disappeared for long periods of time. It took over 30 minutes from the time we requested our check to the point where we actually paid. The environment is great for watching the races and having a drink but not for the food or service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014A nice place to eat and watch the horses race . The menu is limited and a little on the high side. The crab cakes are very delicious !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Review MountainView RestaurantSue79Dined on 6/28/2014We found this restaurant to be very enjoyable and will definitely visit again. The service was outstanding! My only critique would be to have a larger menu. We found the menu to be a little limited compared to other similar restaurants such as at Pocono Downs in Wilkes Barre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mountainview is delicious and funlove2comeDined on 6/28/2014This is a great place to take guests or just to go out to have fun--the food is delicious and fun to watch and bet on horse racing. There are betting machines at the table so you don't even have to leave your seat. We just love coming out o the track and eating at Mountain view. If you like the casino, it is a great evening out. We have been coming here for many years and find it a very enjoyable evening to be there.Special Features:
- DinnerDinnerDined on 6/27/2014The service was great very friendly and continually checking to be sure we were okaySpecial Features:
- Fab dininghappydinersDined on 6/26/2014This was our second dining experience at Mountain View. We had another excellent diner. We both ordered the prime rib which was excellently done. The cheesecake and deep dish apple pie were yummy. Our server checked in with us often and was very friendly. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Exciting Place to DineFJM14Dined on 6/20/2014As far as restaurants go associated with a horse race track environment, Mountain View does a very good job at keeping the menu varied enough to suit a wide audience and there wait staff is attentive and considerate. From steaks to sandwiches, the food was good and priced reasonably for the area.Special Features:
- Too Long to Get FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014I had a reservation with my husband for 6:30, and we did not get our food until 8:10. That was too long in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DISAPPOINTEDMarshaDined on 6/14/2014I have dined here several times and have always been very please, but the service was slow and our server was hard to find. Hopefully this was just a result of a busy evening and will not happen again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst food experienceluvtheponiesDined on 6/14/2014Saturday our group of 5 ordered dinner at 6:50. By 8:10 we still had no food. After asking our server Alyson how much longer it was going to be she said she just didn't know. The kitchen was understaffed. The evening special of 20 oz. $25 porterhouse steaks wasn't a good idea. Since they still couldn't give us a time for our meal we cancelled and asked the serer to bring us a check for the items we had to that point. Food and Beverage manager came over apologize to us and offered us to eat somewhere else - all of which he took care of. Part of group did that part of group left. What was a bad experience turned out well. We will visit again, just won't order the special :-) Thanks Alyson for great service in bad situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014I've eaten here a few times before, and the food is always very good. I had the top sirloin this time, but I probably should have got the strip steak.. I consider that my mistake, though. Service was excellent, wait staff was very attentive to all my needs. Very good place for a group of friends who also enjoy horse racing. Excellent view of the track (I was seated right at the finish line). Overall, a good dining experience. Definitely recommend getting reservations, though. I even made one, and I was eating alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SharonDined on 6/13/2014Love the food, love the view!! Everything is always so tasty and beautifully prepared. You have the best sweet potato fries around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun at the racesTasteAndSeeDined on 5/23/2014Mountainview is a great place for watching the horse races. Beautiful views of the race track with the hills in the background. Each table has a view screen to see the details of the races, and the race track has easy access to the betting booths to place your bets. Food was well-prepared and tasty, and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- Racetrack PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2014Our 10 yr old requested her "birthday" party at Mountain View @ Penn National Racetrack. She loves to watch the horses and try to see if she can pick the fastest horses. We dropped off flowers and balloons earlier in the day. Everyone was most accommodating to us! She had a great evening!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Disappointed would like more seafood & steps weren't the greatest for carrying food. Plus 20% tip is way too much for a buffet where all they do is fill drinks & take dishes. Not worth the price.Special Features:
- Mother's Day brunchFoodloverDined on 5/11/2014Service is always excellent. Kids love the chocolate fountain. Excellent selection of food that is always great quality. We look forward to it every year for Mother's Day. Mimosa's for 4.00 was a treat as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun for mother's dayKPS44Dined on 5/10/2014I have been here often, but Saturday I Took my parent's for the First time. Thyey loved it!Special Features:
- Penn NationalmelbaDined on 5/10/2014View and atmosphere were great. We were seated at 6:35 - meal did not arrive until 8:24. Food was not great. Our groups rating was - baby back ribs - awesome / great, beef short rib - too much salt to enjoy, Mountain view special burger - was cold. We were hungry and did not complain because waitress apologized at least 6 times for delay. next time we decided just to eat the cheaper food at the races as we do not believe there is a chef checking the food - the prices were high.Special Features:
- Food & HorseslunchwfriendsDined on 5/10/2014Mountain View at Penn National Race Course has good food and of course the scene (viewing horse races) is spectacular? Grand-kids (age 8 & 11) loved the whole experience. Although a kids menu is not 'printed' they have one, and our waitress was great with the kids! We got a 'window' table (which I requested) and we all had an excellent 'pre-Mother's Day' evening!Special Features:
- Fun Night at the RacesKoolkatv13Dined on 5/10/2014They met most of my requests except for a betting computer at one of the 2 tables, which was rather important. They should consider putting these at all tables near the finish line. The food was good but the service could be better, especially since they add a 20% gratuity for large parties(we had 2 tables of 6). Our waiter was not very attentive. Would not have left 20%, which I normally do for good service. It is a fun night out, having dinner, betting on the horses and having a bird's eye view of the finish line.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMay9thmountianviewDined on 5/9/2014This was my third visit to Mountainview restaurant I did not have a bad experience my first two visits however this visit resulted in being my last.... My appetizer was margarita pizza that was dripping with pesto... I looked like the contents of a baby's diaper. Our server got her hands on training at a local drive-thru. We were seated at the lower level of the restaurant so we were right at the window ....at one point we had a visit from a spider that came strolling up the windowsill from the table behind us. The highlight of our night was my girlfriend did win 4 of the 5 races she bet on.Special Features:
- The following 361 reviews are from the Mountain View at Penn National Race Course reviews archive.