Mountain House - Woodside
13808 Skyline Boulevard
Woodside, CA 94062Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mountain House - Woodside
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://themountainhouse.com/
- Phone: 6508518541
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday, Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: Jerry Olson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Both of our dining rooms are available for private functions. Our Main Dining Room will accommodate up to 70 people for full service dining and the Forest Room will seat up to 40 people. We are also available for cocktail receptions and luncheons.
- Private Party Contact: Jerry Olson 6508518541
A word from Mountain House - Woodside
Whether you’re looking for an intimate dinner or celebrating with friends and family, The Mountain House is your destination. Nestled in the redwoods above The town of Woodside on Skyline Blvd., The Mountain House offers a casual fine dining experience. With our wood burning fireplaces in the Rustic bar and elegant dining room or the outdoor beauty of the forest room, The Mountain House offers a variety of Meat, Poultry, Seafood and game items, such as Bison, elk, ostrich, venison and rabbit.Continued
Just a 5.5 miles south of highway 92 on Skyline Blvd., The Mountain House is easily accessible from San Francisco, the east or south bay.
Just a 5.5 miles south of highway 92 on Skyline Blvd., The Mountain House is easily accessible from San Francisco, the east or south bay.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Mountain House - Woodside - Best Restaurants in Woodside ›
Mountain House - Woodside reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (99)scenic view (98)romantic (94)neighborhood gem (67)fit for foodies (61)good for groups (45)vibrant bar scene (27)notable wine list (22)great for outdoor dining (12)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (10)hot spot (7)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)Show More
- Great Birthday CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/19/2014Wade was our server and he was not only delightful, but informed and very hospitable. What a great evening and wonderful dinner!Special Features:
- Off the Beaten PathAnEdibleQuestDined on 10/19/2014Set among the coastal redwood trees, you aren't going to just stumble across Mountain House. You have to go there on purpose which is well worth doing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MimiDined on 10/18/2014As usual we had a wonderful time. We always go to the Mountain House for our anniversary and this year was no different. We really enjoy their food and the people are so nice, and the setting is beautiful. The food is always very yummy. We will be back next year or maybe even before that.Special Features:
- Great placeTdtatum20Dined on 10/16/2014Perfect place to take a loved one for a mini getaway from downtown dinning and the public. Sits beautiful in the woods. Perfect balance or ambiance, service and food quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Excellent selection food. Lovely atmosphere. Great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RositaDined on 10/11/2014My first time at the restaurant. We celebrated for my husband's birthday. We were at the back room where other parties were having birthday celebrations too. I am sure it is very pretty during the day. The food was vey good. I read the menu online and was set to order the pheasant. Not too many places serve pheasant. The waitress informed us the specials and I changed my mind to salmon with a pomegranate sauce. That was good. Skin burnt but I don't eat skin anyway, so that was OK. Meat was still tender inside. I gave some to my son to try and he liked it. We all ended up having the specials, petrole sole with a curry reduction and bisonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we cameMudslideVIPDined on 10/10/2014We had not been here for several year, but wanted to give it a try for our anniversary dinner. The service, rustic venue, and excellent food made for a wonderful evening and we are looking forward to a return visit soon. The staff was very friendly and they obviously have a chef who knows his stuff. My wife had the 10 spice salmon. Outstanding. The place is a gem.Special Features:
- Great as usual!ocularoneDined on 10/5/2014Nestled amongst the Redwoods, the ambiance is so comfortable! The menu is innovative and delicious. The wine list is great. The service is wonderful.Special Features:
- Always a winnerWoodsideFoodieDined on 9/28/2014We've been coming to the Mountain House for years and the food is always wonderful. There are often rather unusual meats (bison, venison, etc) to complement the menu. A recent appetizer favorite of our family is the duck egg-rolls. This place is a true gem, tucked away in the redwoods. Strongly recommended.Special Features:
- Dissappointed this visitRestarantsDined on 9/28/2014I try and eat here every 6 weeks or so but I must say this time I didn't enjoy my visit here. The service just wasn't up to par. I usually get great service but I was seated for almost 10 minutes before I was acknowledged, then when I was attended to I was asked if I had seen the specials, when I said no I was told they would be right back and I didn't see this person for another 7 minutes. I was given the list of specials we made our order then I overheard another waiter tell the table next to us the specials only there were two other items told that I surely would of gotten. Skipped dessert as we just didn't want to be here. If we come back again and are given this staff we will ask for someone else. Bummer cause we like this place.Special Features:
- Hire more staffLuvFoodnWineDined on 9/27/2014There should be more than one bartender working for the entire restaurant. Bartender was slammed with orders from the dining area as well all seats were full at the bar. Been here twice, first time had a good experience because I didn't go to the bar, it was a clear evening and was able to enjoy the scenic view. Second time was disappointing because we chose to go early to sit at the bar. Along w long wait, our appetizer was forgotten about. Kept quiet about it, knew the bartender was slammed with orders. It wasn't a clear evening and just saw our reflection in the windows, that's fine, but when food and service is average there are easier places to get to. Elk was executed well. Ribeye needed some help starting off with quality.Special Features:
- peanutDined on 9/26/2014we have been there several times for birthdays and ann. We have take out of town guest and they really enjoy the view and restaurant and service.Special Features:
- Worth the drive.davesnothereDined on 9/26/2014A wonderful place to celebrate our anniversary. Great food, service and a romantic location. We look forward to another occasion to spend here.Special Features:
- Worst Service EverMSG1716Dined on 9/20/2014Great ambiance, scenic view, mediocre food (the pork chop was overcooked as was the seafood in the bouillabaisse, but the special fish entrees were enjoyed), and absolutely atrocious service. We were completely ignored no matter how many times we asked for our server and mentioned it to him (and he apologized and said he'd be right with us). When told we loved one of the breads, he promised to come back every 10 minutes and check if we wanted more. He NEVER came back. It took over an hour from when we ordered our main course to when we got it and many items were overcooked (probably the heat lamps). We came just ahead of another couple who had left the restaurant before we received our entree.Special Features:
- Has a place in my heartOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I started going hear when I was 16 with an uncle of mine, the food service and atmosphere have always been top notch. Anytime I fall in love this is where I take the lady! EnjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014This is the BEST hideaway in the woods. Great for locals to get out of the house for the night. Food is always great. They serve a variety of game entrees and know how to prepare them to perfection.Special Features:
- lovetoswimDined on 9/12/2014Thank you for the wonderful service and delicious food. I had a great dining experience!Special Features:
- A great experienceGourmetDined on 9/12/2014Kudos for a menu that portrays a wide array of interesting dishes (not just 4 entrée choices, as most other higher end restaurants have deteriorated to). We love game so that is a huge attraction for us (the venison was very nicely prepared) and the rest of the menu was very appealing as well. The duck confit egg rolls appetizer were the best egg rolls we ever had. Excellent service; our waiter gave a detailed, clear and enthusiastic description of the specials that actually enabled us to absorb the different dishes we were hearing about and make an informed decision. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded our wildest expectationsJT94061Dined on 9/7/2014My honey and I went to celebrate our first anniversary. We'd never been to Mountain House before and what a great surprise! A rustic-looking restaurant with a sophisticated dining room, sumptuous fireplace, exquisite food, and outstanding service. We had dishes like cream of artichoke soup, grapefruit and avocado salad, a bison steak that was to die for, and a barramundi in a toasted hazelnut lemon beurre blanc. The wasabi potato cake that came with the barramundi is itself worth the trip!Special Features:
- You must eat here!LynnieDined on 9/5/2014Beautiful location nestled in the woods of Woodside, this restaurant is great for a special occasion or just for a lovely dinner out. The food is amazing, and the service is impeccable. We had the barramundi sea bass, the ribeye steak and the sautéed scallops and shrimp. Amazing! And to top off the dinner, we celebrated my in-laws' birthday with a chocolate mousse torte. Exceptional! Eat here and you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- WonderfulunderwhelmedVIPDined on 9/5/2014Wonderful setting and dining room, ambiance. Menu with good diversity and combinations. Execution was great as were the flavors. Must have the boar shank! Excellent desserts (blueberry/lemon curd turnover is a must!). Service was as good as it gets. GO!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!BellaDined on 8/29/2014Mountain House is probably one of my top 5 favorite restaurants - ever! Service that is attentive and friendly without being intrusive. A creative menu selection, magnificently prepared. A delightful and welcoming atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mt. House (formally "The Red Pump"BuckStopsDined on 8/28/2014I really enjoyed dinner. The cracked pepper Bison was great medium rare as I ordered. Wonderful reduced wine sauses. My wife's scallops were done to perfection. That is not cooked hard, which is very easy to do. Great view into the redwoods at sunset. Dinning area glass was crystal clear for the views. A nicety required in my book. They relax and take awhile to cook things like they did in the olden days. Not this rush rush with the food. We actually had time to talk and solve the worlds problems. Thanks Mt. House (formally "The Red Pump")Special Features:
- Plusses and MinusesjohnandpopDined on 8/27/2014Celebrating my wife's b-day, we commenced with a bad start. There was a miscommunication between Open Table and the restaurant regarding the date of my reservation. When that was resolved, it seemed to take forever to designate a table even though the dining room was, at that time, empty. The server could give us detailed explanations of the ingredients of the specials but his knowledge did not carry on to knowing the prices. The final minus - our table's location (northwest in the closed in porch area) attracted flies. No other table seemed to have the same issue. Positives - food was pretty good - especially the appetizers and salads.Special Features:
- Nice local standardpir8teDined on 8/23/2014Very nice place outside of the city for good food parking a bit tightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDanielVIPDined on 8/23/2014After having eaten here in the past and having a wonderful time there, this experience was terrible. We both ordered the mussels and clams as an appetizer. The broth the clams and mussels was cooked in was sour and salty to the point of being almost inedible. We also both had the scallops and shrimp entrée, which was slightly better than the appetizer, but not much. Again the sauce on the entrée was sour and salty without any pleasant flavors. There was nothing about the meal which made us want to come back and indeed after this experience we never will.
- Great Dinner!NancyKayRocksDined on 8/22/2014Great table, great food and great atmosphere! I will definatley be back and bring my friends and family for the fabulous food and great setting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- otdinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our entire evening was perfect. The server knew the menu and was very helpful, and the dinner was excellent. Our entrees were the special bison, the special crusted halibut, the special salmon, and a roasted chicken. You feel welcome and comfortable here; it's worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentCoachDined on 8/16/2014The Mountain House is our go to restaurant for our birthdays as well as other times. We always have an excellent dinner with wonderful entree choices and great service.Special Features:
- A birthday dinnerDaveWDined on 8/16/2014We were at a table surrounded by glass looking out into a redwood forest. Our waitress, Rachel, was perfect. Friendly but not intrusive and a lot of fun, which we like. For example I asked if the Elk she recommended had a name. Without a second's hesitation she deadpanned, "Steve." And the food was wonderful. A terrific evening all around.Special Features:
- Best ever!DematteiVIPDined on 8/15/2014While we frequent Mountain House, this visit was exceptional. The service was great. While the service is always good, this time it was just a little bit better. The food this time was amazing. We always like what we get, but this time it was really, really good. I had their "special" caprese salad and peppered, grilled bison. I can go on forever on how good it was. It's best to just see for yourself.Special Features:
- DelectableCindyDined on 8/14/2014The food is unforgettable. It is so nice to have a quality restaurant in the woods in my neighbor. The ambiance, the food and the warm greeting as you meet the maître d' to the waiter to the busboy were very attentive, but most of all the food is out of this world. Our hats come off to the chef for the wonderful food that is served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/14/2014Recommended by two locals this was a great find. The setting is beautiful. The menu is interesting. The food and service were both very good. We tried the elk and the pheasant. Very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbiancecoastalgirlDined on 8/13/2014Loved the burning fireplace and cheerful greeting from staffSpecial Features:
- Mt. House1981lcDined on 8/9/2014Very nice setting, great service and excellent food. We celebrated our 41st anniversary there and had a GREAT time. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Rarely disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/3/2014Our family has been celebrating family birthdays here for the past several years. The staff is all friendly and aim to please. Everyone enjoyed their meal as always.Special Features:
- Special placeLuv2dineVIPDined on 8/3/2014We love this restaurant but tonight our meal was disappointing. 3 of 4 diners sent their entrees back to kitchen - a unique experience for our group. However the fourth had Elk and couldn't stop raving! This is a special place and just an off night for us. Will always look forward to dining here.Special Features:
- always amazingTeresaPurznerDined on 8/2/2014always always love mountain house. fresh local food, paired deliciously. nothing on the plate is for show - every component addsSpecial Features:
- Just a great adventure...goesinwaterDined on 8/2/2014It always makes a great evening when you go to a place where time at the bar is spent having fun with the bartender and enjoying the patrons who are friendly and worth chatting with, just a great time. And then the space between the tables makes for a perfect time with your date (my wife), while noticing those around the restaurant too. The service was wonderful and the food came out quick, warm, and tasty. The pepper app was excellent, and the right combination with a cab. Enjoy the evening!Special Features:
- Solid PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/2/2014We love Mtn. House, the food is always really good, great seasonal specials so you never get tired of the menu. Rock solid place and the scenery is a bonus.Special Features: