Mountain House - Woodside
13808 Skyline Boulevard
Woodside, CA 94062Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mountain House - Woodside
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://themountainhouse.com/
- Phone: 6508518541
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday, Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: Jerry Olson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Both of our dining rooms are available for private functions. Our Main Dining Room will accommodate up to 70 people for full service dining and the Forest Room will seat up to 40 people. We are also available for cocktail receptions and luncheons.
- Private Party Contact: Jerry Olson 6508518541
A word from Mountain House - Woodside
Whether you’re looking for an intimate dinner or celebrating with friends and family, The Mountain House is your destination. Nestled in the redwoods above The town of Woodside on Skyline Blvd., The Mountain House offers a casual fine dining experience. With our wood burning fireplaces in the Rustic bar and elegant dining room or the outdoor beauty of the forest room, The Mountain House offers a variety of Meat, Poultry, Seafood and game items, such as Bison, elk, ostrich, venison and rabbit.Continued
Just a 5.5 miles south of highway 92 on Skyline Blvd., The Mountain House is easily accessible from San Francisco, the east or south bay.
Just a 5.5 miles south of highway 92 on Skyline Blvd., The Mountain House is easily accessible from San Francisco, the east or south bay.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Mountain House - Woodside - Best Restaurants in Woodside ›
Mountain House - Woodside reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (120)scenic view (120)romantic (115)neighborhood gem (66)fit for foodies (62)good for groups (37)notable wine list (21)vibrant bar scene (16)kid-friendly (14)great for outdoor dining (12)hot spot (9)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (8)late-night find (7)Show More
- Wonderful!BellaDined on 8/29/2014Mountain House is probably one of my top 5 favorite restaurants - ever! Service that is attentive and friendly without being intrusive. A creative menu selection, magnificently prepared. A delightful and welcoming atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mt. House (formally "The Red Pump"BuckStopsDined on 8/28/2014I really enjoyed dinner. The cracked pepper Bison was great medium rare as I ordered. Wonderful reduced wine sauses. My wife's scallops were done to perfection. That is not cooked hard, which is very easy to do. Great view into the redwoods at sunset. Dinning area glass was crystal clear for the views. A nicety required in my book. They relax and take awhile to cook things like they did in the olden days. Not this rush rush with the food. We actually had time to talk and solve the worlds problems. Thanks Mt. House (formally "The Red Pump")Special Features:
- Nice local standardpir8teDined on 8/23/2014Very nice place outside of the city for good food parking a bit tightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDanielVIPDined on 8/23/2014After having eaten here in the past and having a wonderful time there, this experience was terrible. We both ordered the mussels and clams as an appetizer. The broth the clams and mussels was cooked in was sour and salty to the point of being almost inedible. We also both had the scallops and shrimp entrée, which was slightly better than the appetizer, but not much. Again the sauce on the entrée was sour and salty without any pleasant flavors. There was nothing about the meal which made us want to come back and indeed after this experience we never will.
- Great Dinner!NancyKayRocksDined on 8/22/2014Great table, great food and great atmosphere! I will definatley be back and bring my friends and family for the fabulous food and great setting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- otdinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014Our entire evening was perfect. The server knew the menu and was very helpful, and the dinner was excellent. Our entrees were the special bison, the special crusted halibut, the special salmon, and a roasted chicken. You feel welcome and comfortable here; it's worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always excellentCoachDined on 8/16/2014The Mountain House is our go to restaurant for our birthdays as well as other times. We always have an excellent dinner with wonderful entree choices and great service.Special Features:
- A birthday dinnerDaveWDined on 8/16/2014We were at a table surrounded by glass looking out into a redwood forest. Our waitress, Rachel, was perfect. Friendly but not intrusive and a lot of fun, which we like. For example I asked if the Elk she recommended had a name. Without a second's hesitation she deadpanned, "Steve." And the food was wonderful. A terrific evening all around.Special Features:
- Best ever!DematteiDined on 8/15/2014While we frequent Mountain House, this visit was exceptional. The service was great. While the service is always good, this time it was just a little bit better. The food this time was amazing. We always like what we get, but this time it was really, really good. I had their "special" caprese salad and peppered, grilled bison. I can go on forever on how good it was. It's best to just see for yourself.Special Features:
- DelectableCindyDined on 8/14/2014The food is unforgettable. It is so nice to have a quality restaurant in the woods in my neighbor. The ambiance, the food and the warm greeting as you meet the maître d' to the waiter to the busboy were very attentive, but most of all the food is out of this world. Our hats come off to the chef for the wonderful food that is served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/14/2014Recommended by two locals this was a great find. The setting is beautiful. The menu is interesting. The food and service were both very good. We tried the elk and the pheasant. Very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbiancecoastalgirlDined on 8/13/2014Loved the burning fireplace and cheerful greeting from staffSpecial Features:
- Mt. House1981lcDined on 8/9/2014Very nice setting, great service and excellent food. We celebrated our 41st anniversary there and had a GREAT time. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Rarely disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/3/2014Our family has been celebrating family birthdays here for the past several years. The staff is all friendly and aim to please. Everyone enjoyed their meal as always.Special Features:
- Special placeLuv2dineVIPDined on 8/3/2014We love this restaurant but tonight our meal was disappointing. 3 of 4 diners sent their entrees back to kitchen - a unique experience for our group. However the fourth had Elk and couldn't stop raving! This is a special place and just an off night for us. Will always look forward to dining here.Special Features:
- always amazingTeresaPurznerDined on 8/2/2014always always love mountain house. fresh local food, paired deliciously. nothing on the plate is for show - every component addsSpecial Features:
- Just a great adventure...goesinwaterDined on 8/2/2014It always makes a great evening when you go to a place where time at the bar is spent having fun with the bartender and enjoying the patrons who are friendly and worth chatting with, just a great time. And then the space between the tables makes for a perfect time with your date (my wife), while noticing those around the restaurant too. The service was wonderful and the food came out quick, warm, and tasty. The pepper app was excellent, and the right combination with a cab. Enjoy the evening!Special Features:
- Solid PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 8/2/2014We love Mtn. House, the food is always really good, great seasonal specials so you never get tired of the menu. Rock solid place and the scenery is a bonus.Special Features:
- Classy and Cools24estDined on 8/1/2014Outstanding, creative, carefully prepared food. Friendly. professional wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingBaroloVIPDined on 7/31/2014Finally decided to take the trip up Skyline based on reviews. Wasnt worth the trip. Friendly staff, interesting location in the woods. But food varied from good to poor. Both appetizers were good, especially remember confit egg rolls. Venison was so-so, more like a hamburger that had been pre-frozen vs. the texture of venison at a good restaurant. Lobster dish was frankly horrible. Overall would not return even if there wasnt the drive.
- We had an excellent experienceHonestbarbDined on 7/30/2014John & I took clients to the Mountain House to thank them for their business and to celebrate the close of their new home in the area. The drive to the restaurant was beautiful. We arrived separately and since our clients were a bit later than John and I, we started with a drink at the bar. What a great atmosphere. The bartender was wonderful introducing us to a specialty drink. When our clients arrived we were seated and there was no guilt placed on us for being late. The food was superb. We had elk, bison and seafood. Everyone enjoyed their meal. We ordered wine from a local winery and found it to be perfect with the different dishes. Our server was outstanding, guiding us through our orders. It was a 5 star experience.Special Features:
- My Favorite SpotJenDDined on 7/26/2014The Mountain House is and has been my favorite dining spot for a long time now. The location is beautiful, the food excellent, the staff and owners outstanding. This is where we go for all of our family celebrations or dinner with friends. The bar has a nice menu and is a friendly place to see old friends or make new ones. The restaurant has rustic beauty and an intimate feel. There are always interesting specials along with the standards on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueGlennDined on 7/26/2014There is only ONE Mountain House and there are no others that have the ambiance, character and setting. It's worth the trip from anywhere in the San francisco bay area. The locals eat here too.Special Features:
- What a great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2014I took my husband for his birthday and we were pleasantly surprised at the beautiful scenery. It was a bit cold with the air conditioning blowing but luckily I had my sweater. Food was great and the waiter was awesome...so attentive and really great personality.Special Features:
- something outstandingcricketDined on 7/25/2014There is always something really innovative and outstanding on the menu here, often several dishes. Don't overlook the specials as these often are really unique and truly excellent selections.Special Features:
- Romantic, hidden gem.unclepedroDined on 7/24/2014Made a reservation at The Mountain House for our 10th anniversary. Everyone was very attentive and had clearly read the "memo" in my OpenTable reservation regarding the occasion. They gave us a great spot overlooking the redwoods and hillside where the evening sun was streaming through the trees. Couldn't have been more beautiful. The server was very helpful, responsive and thoughtful. We had to leave before dessert because of a baby at home, but he brought us a little ice cream sundae with a candle in it. It was a nice touch. The food and drinks were really great -- definitely worth the price. Finally, we thought the ambiance was perfect -- low key and woodsy, but with a really classy charm. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb First AnniversaryRobTheManDined on 7/20/2014Some of the finest cuisine in the BayArea. Up there with any 5 star restaurant, but at an affordable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food. Good Experience.ScottDined on 7/20/2014I went for my birthday and had their Bison Short Ribs. They were amazing. Also, had their Caesar Salad, which was also very flavorful. Other plates I sampled at the table were the prawns and scallops and the glaze on the pork chop. Also both very good. The bar was okay. The drinks seemed to fluctuate from strong to light. We had dessert and the desserts were all very rich. A little overpowering all in all. So, for main courses and "what's for dinner," you can't go wrong. Don't expect too much from the bar or dessert. Also know the prices are high and ask to sit in the Forrest Room.Special Features:
- Outstanding dinneruomoneveDined on 7/19/2014Another outstanding visit to the Mountain house. Great food, great specials, a great wine and great, friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ElkAngelicaDined on 7/18/2014We went to Mountain House this past week. We got a little lost trying to find it and arrived a bit late for our reservations. The man handling the seating was incredibly welcoming and took our lateness in stride. He promptly seated us and even provided directions for us to get back home. The waitress was friendly and attentive. She was able to make recommendations around the dishes they served. We ordered the elk -- fabulous! It came in some kind of cherry sauce with some vegetables. The tuna taco appetizers were tasty too, if you like the raw tuna. The dessert we had was some sort of peach cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This was absolutely fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mt houseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014Great fun with friends the service is AWESOME and the food delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ... where the Buffalo roam!SFDURANGODined on 7/18/2014What can I say! Keep coming back to sample as much game as possible. Elk Medallions, Wild Boar Shanks, Bison Sirloin - so far, so good! Want to try their Rack of Lamb but more exotic temptations abound! Will definitely return and either be surprised by the daily game menu or settle on an item on their standard menu. Either way....delicious! And the atmosphere of dining in the enclosed patio looking out at redwood trees is a soothing plus!!Special Features:
- Still One Of The BestJamesDined on 7/13/2014Mountain House well worth the drive. Menu speical varies and always difficult to choose. But, never disappoineted. Try It.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!foodluvverVIPDined on 7/13/2014I took my parents to the Mountain House for the first time and they loved everything about it. We were seated in the "outdoor glassed-in balcony" area, and it was like sitting in an elegant tree house! My Dad and I ordered the Caesar Salads (with anchovy), and it had a very intense flavor but was delicious. My Mom also enjoyed her beet salad. My Dad and I also ordered the same entree: the elk medallions with garlic-mashed potatoes (and vegetables). We both adored the flavor and tenderness of those medallions, which we felt were very generous portions. My Mother thoroughly enjoyed her halibut with rice pilaf and assorted vegetables. We ended the dinner with two scrumptious desserts: blueberry turnover with lemon curd and creme brulee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor service, overpricedTrisDined on 7/12/2014We arrived right on time for an 8pm reservation and headed to the check-in area. We waited for >10 minutes just to check in, with the host, Jerry, ignoring us on purpose every time he walked by. It was awkward and borderline rude, but the ambiance was nice and we were excited to eat -- especially since I'd heard it was quite good! Once we were seated (after a further "on deck" period to wait for our reservation to be ready), things flowed fairly smoothly. Our server, Brett, seemed like a nice guy but lacked in polish. The supporting waitstaff were attentive and quick with bread, water, clearing, etc. Food was good, but not worth the price. My elk medallions were the best, but at $37 for two small medallions they were pricey. Overall, meh.
- CJ44Dined on 7/9/2014Wonderful meal, beautiful setting--a perfect place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- DinnerDinner2Dined on 7/5/2014July 5th An 8:30 reservation. Service was poor at best. Pork chop over-cooked. Halibut was excellent. Waiter was nowhere to be found. Desert was Strawberry rhubarb was awful and portion was tiny. Not what we're accustom to at the Mountain house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choice for dinnernonameDined on 7/5/2014Elk was amazing. Stir Fry Lobster was great. Highly recommend the Blueberry Turnover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulartsDined on 7/5/2014We have always had a wonderful experience a Mountain house. We have gone there for special occasions, birthdays, anniversaries, and Valentines Day. The menu and daily specials have a lot of varity. The staff is friendly and attentive. Don't miss the cream brûlée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A mixed experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/2/2014We go to Mountain House fairly often, usually for a specific event (birthdays, other celebrations). I almost always order the rack of lamb because it has been uniformly great. Tonight was different: the lamb was seriously charred/burned. Our waiter Rick offered to take it back but I decided I didn't want to hold up dinner for too long. This was a mistake. I should have sent it back and wired for a properly prepared rack of lamb. I'm not sure what our future holds regarding special dinners at Mountain House. . I'm not sure I'll order them again.Special Features: