Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant
3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway
Mount Vernon, VA 22309Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mountvernon.org/inn
- Phone: (703) 780-0011
- Hours of Operation:
Sundays only: 11:00am-7:00pm
Monday-Saturday: 11:00am - 3:30pm;
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm;
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday-Friday 4pm-8pm in Tavern Room
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Wallen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our Catering Department is in charge of booking all of our private events, including Weddings, Corporate Functions, Baby Showers, Promotion Ceremonies, etc. Many of our Saturdays during Wedding Season tend to booked with Weddings, closing the Restaurant for the public. For more information, call our main number: 703.780.0011.
- Cross Street: George Washington Memorial Parkway
- Public Transit: There is a Metro Bus stop at the corner of the crosswalk directly in front of the Restaurant. The Metro Bus stops at Huntington Metro, the end of the Yellow Line.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is directly across the street on Route 235 North.
A word from Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant
The charming Mount Vernon Inn restaurant serves lunch daily and elegant candlelit dinners daily. The Inn offers six intimate dining rooms, two with fireplaces, all with colonial and delicious regional and colonial cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (63)neighborhood gem (45)great for lunch (41)romantic (32)fit for foodies (26)good for groups (25)scenic view (19)kid-friendly (17)great for brunch (16)notable wine list (7)great for outdoor dining (5)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Quality as you would expectHungryWanderingCriticDined on 11/11/2014Adding lunch as a stop or going out to Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant is such a nice treat. The service is usually quite good. The shrimp and grits are truly out-of-this-world! Also recommend their homemade ice cream and bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fine dining experiece!SkyKingDined on 11/10/2014A pleasant surprise. Food was as good as anywhere I've dined in WDC. The service and ambience were excellent. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/3/2014We were married at the Inn one year ago and came back for our anniversary. We just love it there!Special Features:
- This isn't your grandma's Inn!ElaineDined on 11/3/2014Sorry for the remark about grandma's who are wonderful people -- but I was concerned the Mt. Vernon Inn Restaurant would be stuffy/musty/old fashioned/heavy food etc. My mistake! Their menu was contemporary and plentiful with great choices! Our server was delightful and responsive! I hadn't been to Mt. Vernon in 40 years and was amazed at the Educational facilities & museum -- it's a must for locals and visitors alike!Special Features:
- Love it here!kshea555Dined on 10/31/2014This is a great way to end the day at Mt. Vernon! It's so cozy with the fireplaces in each room and the staff are extremely friendly. Food is awesome to top it off. Wish they offered the bacon-wrapped meat loaf for dinner, we were told it was only available for lunch. That was disappointing, but had no problem finding other things to eat that were spectacular. :) Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food/Noisy AtmosphereGirlsnightoutDined on 10/25/2014The food was wonderful. It was seasoned well and cooked perfectly. The menu has a nice variety of food, including some southern comfort dishes and seafood. The only thing I was disappointed about was the atmosphere. I made reservations for 5:30 and my party was one of the first to be seated. The whole restaurant was pretty much available, but we were seated in the bar area, and not the dining area with white table clothes. As the restaurant began to fill up, the bar area became very loud and I felt we were being rushed to finish our dinner. I don't know why we were seated so close to the bar, especially since this was meant to be a nice dinner and we had reservations. They should have offered to seat us in the dining area.Special Features:
- Mt. Vernon Innlove2eatoutDined on 10/24/2014Great venue for special occasion dinners. Food and service excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedLCorpDined on 10/24/2014We reserved a table here for an anniversary dinner and I specifically asked for a "good" table. The good table turned out to be a tiny 2 person table shoved into the back corner of what appeared to be the lounge area since that is where the bar was. First of all, NOBODY wants to sit at a table so tiny your plates barely fit on them, especially when that table is so close to the next tiny little table that it felt like eating at a food court in the mall. They had a large group booked that took took up the whole main dining area, had I known that we were going to be put in the lounge area I wouldn't have bothered even going there. The service was good, but the salmon was dry and over cooked. Wouldn't recommend this place, and won't be back.
- Excellent Excellent ExcellentBrewkjgDined on 10/23/2014My wife and I absolutely enjoyed our entire dining experience at the Mount Vernon Inn. I was originally afraid that this would be a tourist trap but was relieved to find so many locals dining there. We would definitely go back the next time we're in the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic and historicBonnieVIPDined on 10/23/2014Food was ok - trying too hard to be gourmet. Reasonable priced and charming environment.Special Features:
- slow start, good endingOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/21/2014Cynthia, Alex, and James made it happen. I had a tall order - requested a certain dining room. Handicap (walker) diner, six people, plus a high chair for a two year old. None of that happened when I arrived. But after fits and starts, and the three people I named, it all came together.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014The food was outstanding and our waiter was great. The hostess was not prepared to do her job. She seems to need more training.Special Features:
- Better than the food courtfussyfoodyDined on 10/13/2014We chose to dine at the Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant as we were spending the day at Mount Vernon. The menu is quite nice, and most of the food was well-prepared and quite good. Initially, service was non-existent, as it took over ten minutes for even a drink order to be taken, and we seemed to wait an long time for our iced teas to arrive. Thereafter, service was quite attentive, our food arrived at the appropriate temperature and was very good. I do recommend the cream of peanut soup. Everyone in our party enjoyed their meal, and the portions were generous, we all declined dessert. It is certainly a much more civilized experience than the food court at the site. We would happily dine there again.Special Features:
- Good food and serviceBonAppetitDined on 10/10/2014My wife and I enjoyed our first visit to Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant. Good food and service. We will return.Special Features:
- spectacular food & serviceTifn8rDined on 10/10/2014We took visiting relatives to dinner at Mt. Vernon. It was amazing. The food was delicious, cooked exactly to order, and more than enough to leave us satisfied. The wine list was excellent, and the wait staff is very well informed with regard to everything available on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient to Mount VernonJackieshackDined on 10/6/2014The appeal of this restaurant is it's location. You can spend the day at Mt. Vernon without leaving to do lunch somewhere else. The food was very good but pricey. Lots of school kids and groups on the day we lunched at the restaurant which made it noisy and service a little slower. I would definitely eat there again if I was touring Mt. Vernon but wouldn't make a special trip otherwise. Reservations thru OpenTable worked very well and I would recommend using it to make a reservation. There was a long wait but with reservations we were seating immediately.Special Features:
- lunch at a country innSandyDined on 10/3/2014Located besides the entry to the Mt. Vernon estate of George Washington, a stop here for lunch keeps your 18th century experience going in a country inn with wooden floors, fussy wallpaper, and servers in period costumes. I enjoyed the turkey "pye" (turkey pot pie) which was a smallish bowl of firm vegetables and tasty turkey morsels - comfort food. Hubby enjoyed grilled shrimp in Caesar salad. good solid fare, not trendy. you don't come here for trendy. locals as well as tourists favor this place and its friendly, attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peanut SoupOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/1/2014The Peanut soup was great so was the cheese and burger! Service was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soup to and or nuts!JanieVIPDined on 9/26/2014Peanut soup highly recommended burgers were great!Special Features:
- Favorite Local SpotJTGarcia2VIPDined on 9/22/2014The Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant has turned into one of our favorite places to dine! Besides being attached to one of our nation's historic gems, the restaurant has a fabulous menu, with a mixture of "Historic" recipes and more modern choices - the duck and lamb duo are wonderful! The service is very attentive and professional, always with a gracious smile and manner. If you haven't been to the Inn lately, do yourself a favor and go!Special Features:
- graceelouDined on 9/21/2014When we looked at the menu we thought the prices were a little on th ehigh side, but the portions were big everyone left full and still had food left over that we couldn't eat. I went with my family and our server went out of her way to make sure everyone including my 2 year old son had a good time. Even though we were there during the "slow time" i did not see a single employee just standing around talking everyone was working together to make sure every guest was taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fresh and deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/19/2014The food was very fresh and delicious. Our server was very nice. I just felt like we waited very long.Special Features:
- Creativity added to menuMaryDined on 9/17/2014I dined here twice recently and I was pleasantly surprised with new menu additions. The bronzini with chimichurro was delicious! Outdoor dining was also a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a historic setting!married43yrsDined on 9/15/2014We visited the Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant during a vacation trip celebrating our 43rd anniversary. After a full day visiting the Mount Vernon historic site we thoroughly enjoyed a very plesant and delicious meal in the colonial themed Mount Vernon Inn. We also enjoyed a bottle of the Mount Vernon wine along with our dinner and would recommend this to visitors as well. A great way to end a day immersed in the history of our country!Special Features:
- Great Lunch!Sandy1Dined on 9/15/2014Had lunch with my family from out of town, and wanted a unique lunch. Mt. Vernon was historic and beautiful, and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Really nice to find a restaurant whose only "surprise" is that "you are never surprised".....consistently good food, service and atmosphere. The only "disappointment" comes when you want to make a reservation only to find the Inn closed for a private party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not our best experience at Mt VernoBrownieDined on 8/21/2014We go to dinner at Mt Vernon very frequently, as we live right in the neighborhood and enjoy the place, the food, and the closeness to home. On Aug 21, we took our daughter and her husband to dinner to celebrate her birthday. Our server that night, Hector, while a very NICE person, was obviously very new at serving, wasn't a very skilled waiter, but we could have overlooked his newness IF ONLY we'd been able to understand him. Hector had a very heavy accent; we had several questions about items on the menu that were new to us -- a bad combination, as we asked again and again and again ... all to no avail, as we could NOT understand a word Hector was saying. If the server is not able to be understood by the diners, he's in the wrong workSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IT'S A KEEPER!GinoDined on 8/20/2014We love going to the Mt. Vernon Restaurant! The food is always great, the staff is always very upbeat and professional! We've been to Happy Hour there with large groups. It is fun and a great central location. I'd recommend it to everyone!Special Features:
- A Great Experience4fromGeorgiaDined on 8/19/2014First the setting is unmatched, George Washington's Mount Vernon. Second, the staff was very friendly and accommodating (allowing us to even get started a little early). finally, the food was prepared and presented with excellence. I am looking forward to my next trip to DC and my next experience at the Nt. Vernon Inn.Special Features:
- Real Food....Always GoodJoeDinerDined on 8/19/2014We dine at the MVI 2 to 3 times a month and always leave satisfied with the quality of the food and warm service. The staff remembers regulars and greats you like old guests. Typically I don't like to order restaurant week offerings as most establishments offer slop to meet the $35 threshold (which bewilders me as this event is suppose to entice future visits). But, my wife wanted the Lamb, so I bit the bullet. To say I was impressed and surprised is an understatement. Each of the 3 courses were tasty, plentiful, and worthy of being on their standard menu. My wife's lamb was outstanding, and the portion very generous. Despite being associated with a popular tourist venue, MVI maintains a loyal local base of customers.Special Features:
- Restaurant Week Success!MortMason1776Dined on 8/16/2014Wanted to try a new restaurant for Alexandria Restaurant week, and my boyfriend and I decided to try George Washington's Mount Vernon Inn! It was well worth the $35! We each received an appetizer, main entree, and dessert. My scallop wellington was heavenly, the lamb dinner over mashed potatoes and green beans was delicious and the flourless chocolate cake for dessert was sinful! We sat on the back porch area near the patio which was perfect for a hot summer night. We are definitely coming back in the fall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 12joy34Dined on 8/16/2014Excellent meal and great service. The back room has been redecorated and looks great.Special Features:
- Well done!ChpatDined on 8/13/2014Wasn't sure what to expect, figured an overpriced menu hitch hiking on GW's name. VERY satisfied with the menu selection, and very reasonable price. Not overly fancy, but reasonable and comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- higher hopescfreshDined on 8/13/2014I dined for dinner alone. The hostess tried to seat me in the bar. Really because I'm alone?? And the waitperson assumed I was waiting for someone. I chose the restaurant thinking it would be similar to dining in traditional Williamsburg. The website says it's dinner by candlelight but it's actually electric. The decor was from back in the day but there really isn't any beautiful views from anywhere in the restaurant. The fireplace was nice so maybe if you are dining later at night and/or in the winter the ambiance would be better. I thought it would be a finer dining experience. Diners were wearing shorts and tank tops and flip flops. Not at all what I was expecting. Food was pretty good. Waitperson was very attentive.Special Features:
- Perfect Unique Dining VenueHappyDiningDined on 8/13/2014This was a nice little restaurant, and a perfect romantic experience for our anniversary. The food was unique and excellent, and it was fun to try some menu items we don't find in typical dining venues. The service was great, and we felt like all our needs were taken care of immediately. The only complaint I would have is that we were positioned in front of a "group room" of some kind, which had people and servers coming in and out of there constantly and it was a little distracting and noisy at times.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014My husband and I wished to dine at the Mt Vernon Inn because we were married there 17 yrs. ago to the day. We were greeted at the door with a look of dread. It was a little disappointing because having been in the public service business , I noticed little things that could have been done much better. Our server was knowledgable and pleasant, but perhaps policy restricted him. We ordered white wine, but the bottle was never placed in an ice bucket--it just sat on the table. My husband ordered Duck, but received chicken--did they think that he would not notice?? I got the impression that perhaps we were "in the way." We weren't tourists, but locals. Perhaps the Mt. Vernon Inn could use an attitude adjustment.Special Features:
- Great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014We loved the Mount Vernon Inn. We had dinner while listening to Kevin Kline and his band. Wonderful evening!Special Features:
- Dinner at the InnSallyDined on 8/7/2014The Inn has a historic atmosphere with small dining rooms and the staff in period attire. The service is relaxed and allows for a very pleasant meal. The new dinner menu offers good choices, the fried green tomato appetizer is tasty and the pork chop is an excellent choice for an entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very quaint restaurantvettekpamDined on 8/7/2014We loved going here the food was wonderful.It was a very good experience and loved the atmosphere.Would highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful atmospherecasualdinerDined on 8/6/2014A very nice place with a unique, colonial atmosphere. Serves a combination of interesting historic dishes and modern comfort food. I really liked the historic peanut soup and hoe-cakes but for the less-adventurous you can also get buffalo wings or a burger. The Mount Vernon Inn has a quiet, intitimate atmosphere and the prices are reasonable. We will defnitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.