Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant
3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway
Mount Vernon, VA 22309Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mountvernon.org/inn
- Phone: (703) 780-0011
- Hours of Operation:
Sundays only: 11:00am-7:00pm
Monday-Saturday: 11:00am - 3:30pm;
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm;
Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Happy Hour: Monday-Friday 4pm-8pm in Tavern Room
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Wallen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our Catering Department is in charge of booking all of our private events, including Weddings, Corporate Functions, Baby Showers, Promotion Ceremonies, etc. Many of our Saturdays during Wedding Season tend to booked with Weddings, closing the Restaurant for the public. For more information, call our main number: 703.780.0011.
- Cross Street: George Washington Memorial Parkway
- Public Transit: There is a Metro Bus stop at the corner of the crosswalk directly in front of the Restaurant. The Metro Bus stops at Huntington Metro, the end of the Yellow Line.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking is directly across the street on Route 235 North.
A word from Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant
The charming Mount Vernon Inn restaurant serves lunch daily and elegant candlelit dinners daily. The Inn offers six intimate dining rooms, two with fireplaces, all with colonial and delicious regional and colonial cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (65)neighborhood gem (47)great for lunch (38)romantic (34)good for groups (26)fit for foodies (26)scenic view (21)kid-friendly (18)great for brunch (15)notable wine list (7)great for outdoor dining (5)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Very quaint restaurantvettekpamDined on 8/7/2014We loved going here the food was wonderful.It was a very good experience and loved the atmosphere.Would highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful atmospherecasualdinerDined on 8/6/2014A very nice place with a unique, colonial atmosphere. Serves a combination of interesting historic dishes and modern comfort food. I really liked the historic peanut soup and hoe-cakes but for the less-adventurous you can also get buffalo wings or a burger. The Mount Vernon Inn has a quiet, intitimate atmosphere and the prices are reasonable. We will defnitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZgoodDined on 8/6/2014The food and service are outstanding. My meal was a memorable meal in the good way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Mount VernonSunnyinMDDined on 8/5/2014We live in the area so I have eaten there many times. This is a solid, family-friendly restaurant with good food. Our fish (local bass) was perfectly cooked, vegetables appropriately crisp/tender, potato chips made in-house and delicious, they indulgently brought us a bowl of peanut soup with five spoons so we could all try the Washingtonian favorite. I love that they now take reservations so there's no waiting around the gift shop for a table. Our server was being trained so service was good! I highly recommend this to add to your Mount Vernon experience.Special Features:
- Always a winnerHavepilewilltravelDined on 8/1/2014This is our "go to" for a great meal with friends from out of town or close by. It's so hard not to order one of the steaks each time but I do force myself to branch out. Never had a meal there that wasn't fabulous although the ribeye is still my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014Shrimp and Grits (grits from Mt. Vernon's own grist mill) a great way to appreciate the history that surrounds you. Service was fantastic, the whole staff really cared that our experience was a good one. Also, this restaurant helps support Mt. Vernon.Special Features:
- The following 232 reviews are from the Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant reviews archive.
- aaa78Dined on 7/28/2014We had the Cheese grits and Shrimp and the Duck - both were very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014Why serve cornbread in a skillet when it's stone cold? The crab on the salad was spoiled and inedible. The tomato basil mozzarella had no ripe tomatoes and a few sprinkles of DRIED basil. Ridiculous. Overpriced.
- Old Style CharmmommyhundleyDined on 7/24/2014I hadn't been there for a while but was happy to see that it was just as wonderful as I had remembered!Special Features:
- Mount VernonEnvelmanVIPDined on 7/23/2014New menu works, food was great, service could be improvedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice lunch SurpirseGoodeatsGrandberry12345Dined on 7/23/2014Great place wonderful staff and environment. Affordable. They were open for suggestions to making the Menu items the way we liked them. Made for an overall grade A experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodShoegoddess0524Dined on 7/18/2014We really enjoyed the lunch we had. It was very good and everything was perfect. The staff was very friendly and helpful and made sure we always had refills on drinks. The food came very quickly and was hot and delicious!Special Features:
- Would Eat There AgainChsHTTRDined on 7/17/2014We went to visit Mount Vernon for several hours on our way up from Charleston, SC to New Brunswick, NJ to visit family. We stayed at the Hampton Inn & Suites and truly enjoyed the tour and grounds of Mount Vernon. Instead of hoping back onto Rt. 1 and fighting the hoards of traffic, we decided to try the Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant. It is definitely where we would eat lunch again when visiting Mount Vernon. Food is good, service is good and prices are good. If anyone knows the Northern VA area, you know it is expensive, Mount Vernon Inn will not break your wallet. My wife enjoyed her trout, I engulfed my burger, and both my boys (10 & 8) enjoyed their meals.Special Features:
- Great historic optionWorkTravelerDined on 7/15/2014If you like historic dining, you'll love this place. The food was great, fairly priced and a nice opportunity to try things "the old way." My only disappointment was the location. I was hoping to have a view of the Mount Vernon grounds, because the ticket cost for a family was prohibitively expensive. At least with this cost, you are eating it, literally!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodBremner3Dined on 7/10/2014Party of three Two ordered Shrimp and Grits entre, third person ordered lamb. All three meals arrived at same time. Shrimp and grits were cold--both plates sent back. Meanwhile, person with lamb ended up eating alone, waiting for return of other two meals. Result: very awkward dinner--spoiled the evening, which was a special occassion for out of town house guests. I live in the neighborhood and have patroned the Inn many times. Not good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant findWorldTravelledDined on 7/3/2014The food is absolutely delicious. I'd hate to have to count calories because they spare nothing to obtain delightful taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family Dinner@Mt. Vernon InnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014WE were very well treated, especially considering that some of our party arrived late.It was wind down Wednesday which meant there was a nice selection of bottles of wine for half price. We chose the Vouvray which was excellent. I had the Lamb duo as an entree which was superb. There's a kids menu too. Service was very attentive. Overall a great time as usual at the Mt. Vernon Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurantWV2DCDined on 6/26/2014We had a very nice lunch at the Mount Vernon Inn. The restaurant is beautiful inside and makes you feel as if you were stepping back in history. The food was very good and service was quick and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014This was our first trip to Mt. Vernon and the Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant was the icing on the cake. My family thoroughly enjoyed our lunch and our experience. The waiter was great and so was the food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014We had 5:30 reservations, but arrived early, and they were able to accommodate our party easily and graciously. Service was good and attentive, food was spectacular!, and I would enjoy going there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, but ambience notbeenaroundthetableDined on 6/16/2014Drink orders taken and brought in a reasonable time. Then, the waitress disappeared what seemed like forever (15 minutes minimum). She apologized because they had a staff meeting! Hoecake was disappointing. Salad was good, but granddaughter asked for the soup of the day (New England Clam Chowder), cream of mushroom soup. When we asked waitress about it, she said they ran out of the chowder. Two of us ordered the crab cake, and granddaughter ordered lobster macaroni and cheese. All of that food was excellent. However, due to the large lapse time when our waitress disappeared, and then blowing off the swapping of the soup, then the overall rating went down. Hostess was not in period clothing, which is why we decided to go there.Special Features:
- 5LouisianaFriends5LouisianaFriendsDined on 6/16/2014We made reservations and were seated promptly. Staff was friendly, courteous and efficient. The food was delicious as were the cocktails. Definitely plan to return to the Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant. It was a happy experience.Special Features:
- Wish our family had dined elsewhereloveshistorynatureDined on 6/15/2014Even though we had reservations for the 4:30 father's day brunch, the wait staff had trouble finding us a table. Then we waited approx. 15 min. as our table did not seem to have a waitress. When we had been shown to the buffet, we returned to our table and still did not have silverware. Rather than wait for silverware, we obtained silverware from another table (all of them had silverware except ours). The food was good, but not great and my children's hamburgers were not completely cooked. The centers appeared pink and uncooked. I do not think the hamburgers were warm inside. The buffet menu listed a roasted pig and key lime pie. The pig was picked clean and the pie was gone. Would not recommend holiday buffets at this restaurant. Sorry.
- No healthy foods on Father's Day .TwindadDined on 6/15/2014We have loved the Mother's Day buffet st the Inn for two years now. We were disappointed in the lack of vegetables in this buffet . Even vegetables can be grilled . The food -- grilled meats, bread , potato salad , cole slaw, Ceasar's salad and mac and cheese were all excellent . Would have liked to have had the option of healthier choices, too. Limited selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2014When i made the reservation I did not know it was only buffet. I was a little disappointed but the item were very goodSpecial Features:
- Anniversary DinnerShamroqueDined on 6/14/2014We wanted to have nice quiet dinner and we got it! Freshly painted room, great service led by Judy and a lush meal. Fried green tomatoes were a great start, I had the grilled shrimp and scallops which were served over a yummy charred corn risotto with fresh green beans. My husband had the lamb grill and enjoyed it. The menu has been updated some and the quality improved since our last visit. The entire staff was friendly and it was a lovely summer evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMarysThoughtsDined on 6/13/2014Our first time here; food was awesome; service was great; and making the online reservations was so easy. Nice ambience. Would highly recommend for anytime dining as well as that special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MichiganvisitorJune2014Dined on 6/13/2014Our server was excellent! The child's menu grilled cheese was mediocre (burned crust in places, looked and tasted like one slice of American cheese. The atmosphere was great and the adult meals, turkey pot pie and shrimp and grits were outstanding. Overall, I would recommend it. It is a good value for such a nice place.Special Features:
- UncomfortableDisappointedDined on 6/9/2014For the first time ever in our many dinning experiences we were served a bad bottle of wine. We felt bad about sending it back but could not drink, let along pay for such a bottle. Our server was nice about it but one of the hostesses (i'm guessing that was her position since she was seating people) came in the dining area we were in and stared us down with a scowl on her face for quite some time. We felt very uncomfortable and continued to feel that way through out dinner. We never got good service after that so were very disappointed. It was to bad because we were really looking forward to dining there. We will not go back or recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014We enjoyed a wonderful anniversary and birthday dinner! The waiter went beyond when several in our party wanted Cherry Pie and it wasn't on the dessert menu that night. He went to the kitchen and came back with three pieces of cherry pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointmentMaryDined on 6/3/2014The food was excellent but the service was not. The waitress was very hard to hear and understand - in part from the extremely high noise level in the main dining area and in part from her whispering presentation. She kept repeating our order to us, meticulously writing it down only to confuse it in the end. We were a party of 4 - I had gone online to make a special request for one of our party which was totally ignored. Of the four, two of us received the first course we ordered and the other two did not - given the difficulties in communication, we did not bother to ask again - thinking that they would eventually arrive which they never did.Special Features:
- Excellent foodJanieBDined on 6/2/2014Our reservation was for 7:45 pm and there were only two large groups left in the restaurant. Service was good but a little slow in getting entrée. Otherwise, very nice dining experience. Sever told my spouse spoonbread was just offered for Lunch, but then brought him some anyway! Nice touch.Special Features:
- Menu upgraded!FredS1Dined on 5/30/2014My wife and I have eaten at Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant many times over the years. This visit was our first time there since the menu has been upgraded. We could definitely tell there had been improvements in the kitchen. Appetizers, salads, and especially main entrees had been enhanced in quality. Ambiance retains the classic colonial flair of Mount Vernon. Prices have all gone up, as well, though still remain reasonable for the overall dining experience. For special occasions, or simply a delightful taste of colonial fare, Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant is worth your consideration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dramatically ImprovedBillinVAVIPDined on 5/28/2014The new chef and director of operations have made a big, big difference. This is now well worth going. We tried the expanded happy hour menu with cocktails and 4 different main course meals, 2 desserts, 3 appetizers. Other than the fish being a bit dry, everyone gave everything 4 stars, a new experience at the inn. Menu had excellent variety and quite reasonable prices. Wine list should be expanded, in lauding by the glass options, but acceptable as it. Ax always fine atmosphere. Our waitress was very pleasant as was the greeter. Delighted to see the Inn has got it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic Dining ExperienceEmbethDined on 5/28/2014Dining at Mount Vernon Inn immerses you in the historic significance of George Washington’s home, and step back in time to reflect on the founding of our great country as you savor the excellent cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visit FrequentlyDeeDeePDined on 5/24/2014My family and I visit quite often and are never dissapointed. Anthony is wonderful. His outstanding personality makes you feel right at home and comfortable. Need more bartenders like him. Fabiano is one of the best managers I have ever seen. He is absolutely wonderful and will for certain take care of you.Special Features:
- BillDined on 5/24/2014overall a good experience with very good food and service. The only problem was that we were seated next to the bar and this night the bard was noisy at time. It calmed down about half way through, then it was fine.Special Features:
- DeliciousDchoneymoonDined on 5/24/2014Delicious menu. Great staff. Enjoyed the crab cakes so much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pleasant surprise...cmorganDined on 5/23/2014My wife and I ate lunch here during our visit to Mount Vernon. We shared the best spinach and strawberries/pecans salad we have ever eaten. Also, the shrimp and grits was excellent, not what we expected from a tourist restaurant. It was a quiet spot (removed from the noisy gift shop). I have only 2 suggestions: please cushion the chairs for men with boney bums, and discourage the wait staff from upselling so hard. I failed to remember to take advantage of the $10 gift for joining, but that is totally on me.Special Features:
- Disappointing food this visitBrownieDined on 5/23/2014I come to this restaurant very frequently, bringing all of my out if town guests. Usually, the food is absolutely outstanding. This time, I tried the Crab and Shrinp Louis Salad -- as did my guest. Very disappointing -- dry; little flavor to the fish... Generally a bust.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.