Mount Hill Tavern
2120 Colonial Road
Harrisburg, PA 17112Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Mount Hill Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mounthilltavern.com/
- Phone: (717) 540-6840
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 11:30 am to 9:00 pm
Friday - 11:30 am to 10 pm
Saturday 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason Clark
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Mount Hill Tavern features three private rooms for your event. Our smallest, across from our wine cellar, holds up to 16 guests. The Mezzanine can fit 24 guests comfortably with room for an A/V presentation. Our largest room is in the historic Fritchey Tavern room off of our lobby, which holds up to 50 guests. That space was built in 1798, and we restored it to how it would have felt back then, with original wood floors, trim, and windows. A fireplace with gas insert provides a wonderful atmosphere.
- Private Party Contact: Angela Shirk-Martin 717-540-6840x
- Entertainment: Join us again on the lawn every Thursday and Saturday this summer from 6:30-9:30 for our "Mount Hill Tavern 2014 Music on the Lawn" series. Thursday evenings this year will feature jazz, pop, classics, soul, R&B and blues.
Seating will be available on the patio, or guests are free to bring their own tables and chairs for seating on the lawn. Our full dinner and beverage menu will be available on the patio and on the lawn.
- Special Events: Mount Hill Tavern features three private dining rooms for your special event. Please visit our website at www.mounthilltavern.com or give us a call at 717.540.6840 for details.
A word from Mount Hill Tavern
Mount Hill Tavern provides Harrisburg with bold American flavors, exceptional service, & an extensive wine program. Our casual menu offers our unique presentation of some classic items as well as new innovative creations from one of the areas top chefs Jason Clark. We have a full bar as well as a beer list featuring craft beers on draft. We are so pleased with the final look & feel which pays homage to the historical relevance of the location & incorporates updated interior design components. One will find an abundance of historical materials & colors integrated with modern restaurant concepts. We have two levels of seating indoors in addition to our bar, as well as a large seating area outdoors on our patio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Mount Hill Tavern - Best Restaurants in Harrisburg ›
Mount Hill Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (62)fit for foodies (43)romantic (42)great for outdoor dining (41)notable wine list (36)neighborhood gem (33)good for groups (18)great for lunch (18)scenic view (17)hot spot (8)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Excellent as alwaysACM1Dined on 11/15/2014Probably have eaten here a dozen times or more. We have never been disappointed. Nice to see a restaurant which changes their menu with the seasons and doesn't offer the same things day after day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/13/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant. We met some friends for lunch and had a great time. The food was delicious and we had a great experience and will definitely visit the Mount Hill Tavern again.Special Features:
- KanderstonefoodloverDined on 11/11/2014This is hands down the best restaurant for anyone who really cares about having the best quality food and homemade preparation. They use the finest meats, local produce and everything is made from scratch. Chef Jason is fantastic and interested in serving the finest dining experience to everyone. If you have any food allergies or issues, and you call ahead, he will do his best to accommodate you. I absolutely love this chef and this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mt Hill ReviewfinediningladyDined on 11/10/2014Mt Hill Tavern provides a solution to a need for a more upscale dining experience especially when entertaining clients. However, even though the restaurant never seems busy or tables filled, the service is very very slow. Food is very good, but service needs to get better or they will continue to lose customers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything ExcellentEconProfsDined on 11/8/2014The steak was the best we've ever had and the desserts are to die for. Soups are always seasonal and always surprising.Special Features:
- First TimerBikerXDined on 11/8/2014Overall we really enjoyed the character and ambiance of this beautiful historic restaurant and our main meals were prepared to perfection. A higher score would have been given if a dress code was enforced (no blue jeans) and if the tables were spaced further apart as it helps regulate conversation noise levels (I don't want to hear other conversations nor do I want others to hear mine). With that said, our server was very attentive and personable. My only dissatisfaction (food wise) was with the dessert (apple crumb cake) which was awful! Our server removed the item from the bill without asking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Opportunities availableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014The Harrisburg area lacks fine dining and Mount Hill Tavern is situated at an ideal location for the kind of people who yearn for an opportunity to experience an old tradition that is quickly becoming extinct. The food and service were good and prices weren't over the top. Three things stand out which would have improved the rating. Noise level, tables too close together and dress code too relaxed. If I wanted to sit near and see people who weren't at the very least required to dress business casual; or whose every words I could hear, Iwould have gone to a place like Olive Garden or Ruby Tuesday.Special Features:
- Relaxing and ElegantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Such a relaxing atmosphere with amazing service. The decor of Mt Hill Tavern fits the bill of an upscale facility without the overpriced menu. A must see and gauranteed to fall in love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected moreMaxwellDined on 11/1/2014Started with the broiled oysters which were watery, cold and had pieces of shell. Both my dining companion and I picked pieces of shells out of our mouth. The waiter seemed disconnected - maybe waiting too many tables? Ceasar salad was bland and the four pieces of cold shrimp tasted like they were frozen defrosted moments before serving. Would have expected more for $20 salad. Steak was pricey, but good. Small portion. Desert was so-so. Would not return.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphere!Sodelish4uDined on 10/25/2014Our family decided to go here to celebrate my birthday and we were so glad we made this choice for a special occasion! The food was excellent for all four people, the atmosphere and decor of the Tavern is very attractive, and the service was excellent. My husband and son had the pork chop and raved about it!! We will be coming back and bringing friends! Great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingRescuer1218Dined on 10/18/2014I was at the Mount Hill Tavern for the first time 2 years ago and the food was amazing. Unfortunately my most recent dining experience was a huge disappointment. The lobster tail was dry and rubbery and had no flavor. The soup was just average, and the Apple pie soufflé was terrible, it tastes sour. For the $150 I spent on a dinner for 2, I was extremely displeased. It was especially disappointing given how great my first experience was. I don't know if I will return any time soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find on all frontsJalevy99Dined on 10/18/2014We stopped on the way home from Penn State and we were more than pleasantly surprised. The food was amazing, the service was excellent and the overall dining experience was fabulous. We were well taken care of by the staff, the wine list was expansive and we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable experience in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014The entire meal from start to finish was great. All the courses were ample and tasty with great visual appeal. Our waiter was attentive and well trained. The food was expertly prepared with attention to detail. The prices were reasonable and the half plates for many of the pasta dishes was welcomed. The extensive list of inventive shared plates made the evening lots of fun for a party of 4 to share. It was an added bonus that we were actually able to converse during dinner with our friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twice meat not cooked to order.BradK72VIPDined on 10/9/2014Second time there. First time, order filet done medium. It came out rare. Very rare, the waitress even commented when she saw it. This time ordered Kobe burger medium. It came out totally well done. I'm not sure they know the difference. Otherwise it's a nice place - just don't expect red meat to come out the way you want it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Went for my anniversary dinner and everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BRuthVIPDined on 10/4/2014This is our favorite restaurant in the Harrisburg area. Never disappoints, had a very nice meal with good wine pairing and the service was fantastic. Good job Mt. Hill!Special Features:
- Excellent luncheon fairMayappleDined on 9/22/2014The soup selections and combos were great! Wine list was wonderful. Ambiance super.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014We were very pleased with our food. The menu had a number of very interesting selections and we wanted to try a lot of them. Were very pleased with what we chose though. The atmosphere is nice as they have several seating options with a different feel. There is an indoor dining room, a nice outdoor patio, a bar room, a wine room and others. The service was ok early when few people were there, but our wait staff was not as attentive once they got a little busier.Special Features:
- great eveninghoosierXpatDined on 9/20/2014Everything we ordered was delicious. The menu is unique and original but also approachable. The bread and desserts were perfect and unique. The service couldn't be better.Special Features:
- First Time Visitingdolphin1064Dined on 9/20/2014The Mount Hill Tavern is a five star restaurant. The food, service and view were outstanding. I am looking forward to coming back and trying something new off the menu. Thank you!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special occasion treat!2DiforDined on 9/11/2014We were first-time guests celebrating a wedding anniversary. Management and staff went out of their way to ensure a perfect visit and make us feel welcomed. The food, atmosphere and service were all excellent! While we don't contemplate "routine" visits, the exclusiveness of this venue makes it a superb choice for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh ideas, fresh ingredientsSearchingForYummyDined on 9/4/2014Started the evening off with the pear martini - potent but tasty with perhaps a hint of floral. The spinach salad with prosciutto, pistachio-encrusted goat cheese and compressed peaches was fresh and satisfying..although I perhaps would have more enjoyed grilled peaches with a little char on them. I added the seared scallops to my salad which was the perfect added protein. For dessert, the sweet corn ice cream with blueberry compote and toffee covered popcorn was an interesting note. I loved the sweet corn ice cream with the popcorn, but the blueberry compote seemed to belong on a different plate. Perhaps a contrasting savory note of black pepper instead?Special Features:
- An experience2blessed2stressDined on 8/30/2014With the prices, it is not a restaurant we would visit often. For our anniversary, it was very nice. The food was delicious and the plating was very professional. Everything tasted delicious. It is a great place to visit for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We love the beautifully restored historic house and grounds. It feels like you are eating back in the 18th Century. We have eaten at Mt. Hill Tavern several times and each time the food and service has always been excellent. We will be going back frequently.Special Features:
- Good Food Good Musicladyjgb9302Dined on 8/21/2014Mount Hill is a great place to meet friends and have a delicious dinner with Music. The Service is great wait staff and hostest are very please to make sure your meal is enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best of all worldsfoodiefriendDined on 8/21/2014We went to Mount Hill to enjoy the outdoor music. I had taken the kids earlier in the summer and we ate outside. Rain threatening, we ate inside. My kids (6 and 12) love Mount Hill. They quietly played a game at the table while my husband and I talked and had wine. The food is multi-layed in flavor and creative. The ambience is warm and welcoming and the service was great. We like this spot for special occasions and have given various friends gift cards. The night we went, we saw three people we knew, so it's a spot that gathers and welcomes folks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VicEdDined on 8/21/2014We love this restaurant. The food is excellent and the setting is gorgeous. The owners are so very nice and accommodating.Special Features:
- Great ExperianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The menu was very interesting and the food delicious. The chef puts a neat twist on standard dishes. The menu changes and they always have specials. This is a "must do" place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeWandECDined on 8/16/2014Wonder and creative menu. Very helpful and accommodating wait staff. Can wait to return.Special Features:
- not as good as it could've beenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Our outdoor seating was lovely, service was good however we were not told of any happy hour items (5:00 seating) - food did not arrive HOT - otherwise it was niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great servicefoodieinpaVIPDined on 8/15/2014We had a birthday luncheon for 5 and had lunch on the patio. It was a beautiful day and the service was excellent, despite our server being the only one in evidence. She was friendly, efficient, always there with a refill of iced tea or water and never seemed harried even though she was serving at least 5 other tables. The food was good and we split a dessert of carrot cake which was very good and attractively served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great!ErickDined on 8/14/2014Enjoyed the music from the Deck! Drinks and food are consistently outstanding. Will continue to recommend for a quality experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEV1951Dined on 8/14/2014Excellent as always. The Restaurant week offer was a great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best fine dinning Resturant in PAOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/12/2014I have eaten at many restaurants in PA and Mount Hill Tavern is the best fine dining restaurant that I have found. The food and services is excellent.Special Features:
- Birthday BashOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/12/2014Had a wonderful time with 6 guests for a recent birthday. All three generations enjoyed the ambiance, the service was very good, and the food was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A total gemrater1Dined on 8/9/2014We had a wonderful time at the tavern. Our server Jen, was very knowledgable with the menu and made excellent recommendations as well as accommodations for our needs. We had asked about wine and were able to Perfectly pair our drinks with food as well. Food was good (scallops were excellent!) as was the atmosphere; overall a totally great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodloverDined on 8/6/2014Love the atmosphere, especially outside. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor dining vibeRestaurantExplorersDined on 7/31/2014Live music and patio dining for our anniversary was ideal. Tables were a bit close together, making the loud table next to us a bit annoying. Service was quick and attentive. The food was good, though I wouldn't say it was over the top. But, overall the atmosphere was lovely, and we thoroughly enjoyed the evening.Special Features:
- Outdoor ambienceHappyDinerDined on 7/30/2014I had dinner at Mt. Hill two times within the last two weeks and was seated on the outdoor patio which is very pleasant in the warmer months.. Servers were attentive without being intrusive and the food was excellent. Innovative menu. This is a favorite place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My fourth review - same issuesEnjoythedayoffDined on 7/26/2014I love this restaurant and I think the food over the last few months has been well done and delicious. I also really enjoy the relaxed setting. I just don't understand why it seems that the servers are stretched too thin. If they added a few more to ensure attentive service this place would be an overwhelming favorite. Same problem every time we go and it's unfortunate. My server on Saturday night was bussing other tables and literally running to help everyone. I will continue to return for the excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.