Motor Supply Company Bistro
920 Gervais St.
Columbia, SC 29201Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Motor Supply Company Bistro
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.motorsupplycobistro.com/
- Phone: 8032566687x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday-Saturday, 11:30 am-2:30 pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday, 5:30 pm-9:30 pm
Friday-Saturday, 5:30 pm-10:30 pm
Sunday, 5:30 pm-9:00 pm
Brunch: Sunday, 10:30 am-2:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wesley Fulmer
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Koger Center for the Arts, Columbia Museum of Art, Colonial Life Arena, Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center; local bars, clubs and nightlife; several hotels and shopping venues all within walking distance in the Vista
- Special Events: We host a biannual farm-to-table celebration to give back to our local, sustainable farming partners called Harvest Week. For details about the next Harvest Week, visit http://www.motorsupplycobistro.com, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
- Cross Street: Park and Lincoln Sts.
- Public Transit: There are several public transit stops throughout the Columbia, SC downtown area, one of which is located a half-block from Motor Supply Co. Bistro. During the evenings, especially on weekends, taxis are readily available throughout the Vista.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Free valet parking Tuesday-Saturday evenings and Tuesday-Friday at lunch. Parking lot with ~20 spaces. Easily accessible street parking.
A word from Motor Supply Company Bistro
Located in the historic Congaree Vista with a heated patio and free valet parking, Motor Supply has been serving progressive, New World cuisine using classic French culinary techniques for over 20 years. Led by Executive Chef Wesley Fulmer, the kitchen's lunch, dinner and brunch handwritten menus change daily, featuring contemporary New American cuisine, with nods to Creole, Cajun, Southern, French and Asian cuisine. Motor Supply works with local, sustainable farms for produce, meats, dairy and more. Seafood is caught off of the SC coast, and all of our charcuterie, desserts, stocks, sauces and dressings are made in-house. The bar boasts an extensive Wine Spectator Award of Excellence-winning list (2006-13), imported, domestic and local craft beers, as well as an artisan farm-to-shaker cocktail list made from house-infused liquors, handmade bitters, barrel-aged spirits and locally-sourced ingredients and garnishes, mixed up by Head Barman Josh Streetman.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Motor Supply Company Bistro - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
Motor Supply Company Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (103)special occasion (99)notable wine list (64)romantic (59)neighborhood gem (45)great for outdoor dining (38)great for brunch (36)great for lunch (34)good for groups (30)hot spot (29)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Not to be missedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014I took my 2 children ages 3 and 7 for dinner. They do not have a children's menu which is wonderful! We enjoyed mussels, the butcher block, salad, and Cobia. The service was friendly and the wine list extensive. They source their food locally and create amazing dishes full of passion! We had a truly amazing experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shen98Dined on 8/29/2014Nice ambiance, nice wine list. Fun bar scene and great patio. Good option for a nice dinner in the vista.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Would have had 5 stars but the outdoor seating had a huge glare, then the sun was coming in through the unfinished patio and making us so hot we had to move. The waiter said they were almost finished and that it wouldn't be an issue when completed. Would recommend this place, but don't sit outside until they are finished with the remodel. Food was excellent and local/fresh. Pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerBigJeffDined on 8/28/2014Service was outstanding, from the time we were greeted at the door to the time we left. Our server was attentive to our needs, helped us decide what meals we were going to have and was knowledgable about the beer list. It's one thing to have someone knowledgable about the wine list, that's pretty much a given, but when you're knowledgeable about the beer list, its a huge plus in my book. Wife and I had the Duck and flat iron. Both were outstanding and cooked perfectly. Great night out.Special Features:
- RawrfDined on 8/26/2014The experience started outside. Valet was very kind and welcoming. Price included in meal tips only. Hostess was intelligent and quick to help us. Server was knowledgeable. Kindly gave excellent suggestions to aid in our decisions. Appetizer was so good it only left us wanting more. Bread was brought to the table with specialty butter. Bread left some to be desired. Entrees were both outstanding and the menu is fresh and changes regularly. MSco. also had an extensive unique cocktail and wine list. Overall wonderful experience would go back in an instant if looking for a nice meal in the Vista.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hangin in columbiavisittocharlestonDined on 8/26/2014It is a bit hidden on the main street, but completely lovely on the inside. The patio was just renovated and is quite lovely. The food was amazing! Everything I had melted in my mouth and was cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- FABULOUS!!!grubgirlDined on 8/24/2014This is my first time at Motor Supply Company. I have been wanting to go for some time and I was not disappointed. I will dine here as much as possible especially due to the ever changing menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!foodiemomDined on 8/23/2014Motor Supply is by far my new favorite restaurant! Small but definitely big in ambiance and overall experience. Our server was promp, polite, and very knowledgeable. The menu changes every night which I personally love. The food is absolutely fantastic and unique with a wine list to match. If you are looking to make an impression or just want to try something fun and new. This, is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining Experience!HappyDinersDined on 8/23/2014Our youngest son just started his freshman year at USC. Not being particularly familiar with Columbia we hunted around on online to find a nice place to eat when we come to visit him. Boy, did we win the lottery on finding this restaurant! The food was excellent and the server was very attentive and friendly. The restaurant itself had a nice upscale feel to it without being pretentious. Parking is a bit tight so be sure to take advantage of the valet service!Special Features:
- A little shy of perfectionMakeextrasyrupDined on 8/19/2014After making a res. on OT, we waited another 10 min. once we arrived. We ordered the charcuterie plate, but the pickles were way to vinegar-y. My mom ordered sweet tea & was told they only served unsweet. I get that, but when I asked for simple syrup (something I knew they had at the bar), they told us they only had a little & couldn't give us any. It's only water/sugar; not some magical concoction. Geesh! For a place that touts themselves as local/fresh, they should have a sweetener that's not artificial. The rest of the meal was delicious. We shared the cobia, coulette steak & mushroom/avacado salad. All scrumptious. We eneded the meal w/ coffee & lemon/blueberry cake. Yum. Overall good exp, but I'd work on the sweetener & res. issues.Special Features:
- Expected more/better from rec7platesDined on 8/17/2014Never write reviews, but MS was recommended to us by some hometown (Austin) friends. Obviously, we are used to hip dining and "foodie" experiences being from Austin. While the food was good, the drinks were too sweet and the waiter couldn't tell me the ingredients. The staff, from hostess to waiter was blah, and the decor stuck in a time warp. The handwritten menu, while obviously meant to be unique, was difficult to read. Again, ok, but MS so doesn't give a cool, hip, local vibe, farm to table type place that we usually enjoy and are used to. Additionally, we are not food/restaurant snobs, but this place seems to rely on hype and not enough follow through. Would not go back and won't recommend to other USC parents. Up your game.
- Outstanding Service Delicious FoodPhilly16famDined on 8/17/2014From the friendly greeting we received at the door by Stephanie, to the fabulous service from Emily we knew we had stumbled upon a gem. Each one of us enjoyed our lunch so much that day, we returned two days later for Sunday Brunch! The food was very fresh and the quality for both meals was just delicious and so enjoyable. We look forward to another great dining experience and outstanding service at The Motor Supply Company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/17/2014Food is great, but the cheese grits at brunch were extremely salty. I could barely eat them. Otherwise, the food was delicious. Service was ok. Server didn't separate checks for our 5 party group. She stated would should have told her ahead of time and wasn't very polite about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious menuSabelle315Dined on 8/16/2014The food and the cocktails were wonderful. The fresh, daily menu keeps you on your toes so you never have the same thing twice. It's a lovely, small restaurant. If you are seated in the area with the bar, the tables are great and not too noisy. However, if you're given a table in the small entryway, it can be distracting. Staff and other customers constantly walking past your table when you're trying to enjoy a quiet, romantic night can ruin the mood. Try to request a table in the bar area.Special Features:
- expected more, got lessLynneDined on 8/16/2014portions small, prices high, food good, but not good enough to warrant these prices for the small quantity. Scallop appie had 2 scallops for 12 dollars! really? good thing we split it...wouldn't want to ruin my appetite! Husband ordered the hanger steak medium. it came out rare, sent it back. got it back as i was finishing my meal...these things happen, but no compensation what-so-ever. at least offer a free dessert, a free round of drinks or something! cheapos! probably won't be back so soon because of that. I ordered shrimp and grits...nothing special, seemed like frozen shrimp and were small. I had higher hopes for this $100+ meal.Special Features:
- Excellent!Colafoodie1Dined on 8/14/2014We are never disappointed. Their ever-changing menu ensures that every dining experience is fresh and new! Our favorite restaurant! New York has nothing on Motor Supply!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatYumYumsDined on 8/1/2014My husband and I enjoyed a dinner out with another couple who had never been to Motor Supply, and I think we've created new fans! Our meal was very good, although the snapper dish was not as delicious as some of the items I've had there before. Service from Ashley was excellent. Our only true disappointment was that the patio was closed, but we appreciate that it's being renovated and look forward to its re-opening!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014not much food for the price but the food was delicious, would not recommend unless someone has a lot of money to spend on food that is delicious and unique but not unforgettable. Just overpriced in my opinion, especially fo rthe amount you get even if is high quality.Special Features:
- Keep cvoming backjscottVIPDined on 7/30/2014This is my second trip to the area and both times I have eaten here. The food and service is great. I will be back next time I am in the area.Special Features:
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/29/2014We love that the food is as local as possible. Always fresh and priced right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2014Great food, very good service and tasty beer. Worth every pennySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!OFPformeDined on 7/23/2014We scheduled an early wedding anniversary dinner to accommodate travel plans, and the Motor Supply staff once again rose to the occasion! Our food was well served, fresh, and exciting. We were delighted with the entire operation and will travel quite a distance to visit in the future.Special Features:
- All Around ExcellencejohnandsarahDined on 7/20/2014We were here Sunday evening for my Mother's Birthday dinner. Our group was seated comfortably at a table for six with plenty of room for drinks, appetizers, and elbows to spread out. Although a pricier dining option I can comfortably say that I have not had a better meal in Columbia, with relaxed but professional service from our amazing server Adam. I would highly recommend that those who love an emphasis on local, farm to table dishes try this spot. The dishes themselves are absolutely phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Happened?SteveDined on 7/19/2014I've been a patron of Motor Supply for decades. Thus far, my only bad experience. But it was bad. My wife had the tomato trio, I the duck. Our food looked as though it was pre-purchased of prepared much earlier. The duck looked like a baked skinless chicken. No glazing, sauce, nothing. Just plain duck. Any our dinner was served less than 3 minutes after our drinks were served. Felt very rushed, even though they were not busy.
- Good food and nice atmospherebulldogdinerDined on 7/18/2014The food here was very good and the atmosphere was very nice. It was a place you can go to get food made with fresh ingredients. My wife and I enjoyed our meal very much. I tasted my wife's swordfish she ordered and it was very tasty. That is saying a lot since I don't normally like fish of any kind. Wait staff was great and everyone seemed to want to make sure we enjoyed out meal. Even the valet asked us when we were leaving how we enjoyed our meal and told us to have a great night and we didn't use the valet service to park our car. Over all it was a great dinner out with my wife.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 7/16/2014very nice food, ingredients were fresh and food was creative, especially enjoyed the tomato trio, and swordfish special. server was nice but seemingly was in a hurry to leave. she presented the check prior to offering dessert, coffee, etc. she actually seemed a little miffed that those things were ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalIheartfoodDined on 7/16/2014Food, service, ambiance all amazing. Adam is the best server ever and all of the food is delicious. The cocktails are just as creative and delicious as the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food!ImfromcharlestonDined on 7/15/2014I am not from the area, but next time I am in Columbia, I will make sure to come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as usual!!HolleyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Food- amazing!!! Staff- knowledgeable and friendly. You cannot go wrong choosing this restaurant! We took friends that had never been and they were so impressed :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful!Colafoodie1Dined on 7/11/2014We had reservations at 8:30 on a Friday night. Our table was not available when we arrived so we went to the bar for a cocktail. I ordered one of the specials created for the Tasty Tomato Festival celebration. It was refreshingly wonderful...a little kick that was just perfect. We waited about 20 minutes overall for our table which wasn't too bad. We continued our experience by splitting an appetizer that was another Tasty Tomato creation and the duck confit salad. Both were delicious as was the rest of our meal. Everything we ate was carefully prepared and was a true culinary delight. As the menu is always changing to adapt to the seasonal abundance of local fresh food, we definitely can't wait to return for more superb creative dishes!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014Motor Supply has become incredibly consistent from start to finish with creative menu options from the bar and kitchen. It can get loud (though not this night), but it's always a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go-to for nice night on townBlakeDined on 7/11/2014We really love this place. It's our go-to for a nice night on the town. The food is always incredible and the menu is always new. Their drink menu from wines to cocktails is worth noting. I would give you something specific to try but you really can't go wrong with anything on their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful again!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2014The food and our waiter was wonderful. Motor Supply always has something different to eat. We come here for special occasions. The only reason why I gave service 4 stars was because of the hostess's. They did not make you feel welcome and weren't friendly.Special Features:
- fantastic food and serviceBline88Dined on 6/21/2014Make a reservation and get there early to try one of Josh' s amazing concoctions at the bar. A little pricey but the food is all freshly prepared in house and it is very obvious from the first bite. Absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eventual Success!saintgenevieveDined on 6/21/2014The website advertises it as the "go-to" place for artisan cocktails, and yes, our drinks were delightful, but why did we have to coax the drink menu from our server after initially being told they were "between menus" and we could just order anything we could think of ourselves.....wha? He finally produced an "old" menu we could refer to. Thanks! We were also a little surprised to be escorted through the air-conditioned restaurant right out the back door onto the non-air conditioned back porch when we had reservations. We weren't asked if this was OK and we almost didn't stay. It was a muggy night, but the ceiling fans helped move the air enough to make it doable. Once we had our drinks and then the fabulous food, the evening was nice.Special Features:
- Pit Stop at Motor SupplyoverthemoonDined on 6/20/2014My friends and I were stopping in Columbia on our way home from a week long retreat at a lake house in Kentucky. We were researching places to eat and Motor Supply Co. came highly recommended on several sites, so we decided to give it a try. I'm glad we did!!! We started off the evening with cocktails. My friends were I unadventurous and ordered dirty martinis. I however ordered one of their amazing craft cocktails the gin and green tomatoes! It was amazing. We munched on their cheese board and charcuterie board which I both highly recommend. For dinner I had the duo of duck confit and sausage. That sausage was the best sausage I've ever had. I love how everything in the restaurant is locally sourced. You can truly taste the difference!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening as expected...SctravelerDined on 6/18/2014Had an out of town business associate in Columbia for dinner. Motor Supply is the perfect place for the Columbia experience, Dinner and drinks were amazing - especially the cool cocktails. Hats off to the chef as always.Special Features:
- New Chef at Motor SupplyClemsonGirlDined on 6/18/2014They have a new chef - the food was very good with an emphasis on local, in season fruits and veggies and local meats. We had a nice seat on the patio (by choice) - it was hot but we enjoyed it nevertheless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningGoodCookerDined on 6/17/2014After we were seated, we were greeted with complimentary champagne to celebrate our anniversary. Service was great as was the food. Kyle was an attentive waiter. We had the Mahi and the flat - iron steak. Both were very good - I've never had such a tender steak. We had the peach upside down cake for dessert. Great sauce, but the actual cake was just a little dry.Special Features:
- Great Place!Foody4LifeDined on 6/17/2014We have been here several times now, and we are always impressed. Excellent place for a special evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.