Motor Supply Company Bistro
920 Gervais St.
Columbia, SC 29201Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Motor Supply Company Bistro
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.motorsupplycobistro.com/
- Phone: (803) 256-6687
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday-Saturday, 11:30 am-2:30 pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday, 5:30 pm-9:30 pm
Friday-Saturday, 5:30 pm-10:30 pm
Sunday, 5:30 pm-9:00 pm
Brunch: Sunday, 10:30 am-2:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wesley Fulmer
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Koger Center for the Arts, Columbia Museum of Art, Colonial Life Arena, Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center; local bars, clubs and nightlife; several hotels and shopping venues all within walking distance in the Vista
- Special Events: We host a biannual farm-to-table celebration to give back to our local, sustainable farming partners called Harvest Week. For details about the next Harvest Week, visit http://www.motorsupplycobistro.com, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
- Cross Street: Park and Lincoln Sts.
- Public Transit: There are several public transit stops throughout the Columbia, SC downtown area, one of which is located a half-block from Motor Supply Co. Bistro. During the evenings, especially on weekends, taxis are readily available throughout the Vista.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Free valet parking Tuesday-Saturday evenings and Tuesday-Friday at lunch. Parking lot with ~20 spaces. Easily accessible street parking.
A word from Motor Supply Company Bistro
Located in the historic Congaree Vista with a heated patio and free valet parking, Motor Supply has been serving progressive, New World cuisine using classic French culinary techniques for over 20 years. Led by Executive Chef Wesley Fulmer, the kitchen's lunch, dinner and brunch handwritten menus change daily, featuring contemporary New American cuisine, with nods to Creole, Cajun, Southern, French and Asian cuisine. Motor Supply works with local, sustainable farms for produce, meats, dairy and more. Seafood is caught off of the SC coast, and all of our charcuterie, desserts, stocks, sauces and dressings are made in-house. The bar boasts an extensive Wine Spectator Award of Excellence-winning list (2006-13), imported, domestic and local craft beers, as well as an artisan farm-to-shaker cocktail list made from house-infused liquors, handmade bitters, barrel-aged spirits and locally-sourced ingredients and garnishes, mixed up by Head Barman Josh Streetman.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Motor Supply Company Bistro - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
Motor Supply Company Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (118)special occasion (93)notable wine list (63)romantic (51)neighborhood gem (49)hot spot (41)good for groups (38)great for outdoor dining (37)great for brunch (29)great for lunch (29)vibrant bar scene (23)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- AmazingG8RMDDined on 11/23/2014Food was amazing! Fresh and cooked perfectly with robust flavors. Hand written menus. We had charcuterie to start, then I had duck and husband short rib. Duck skin was perfectly crisp. To end, chocolate peanut butter pie was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent findstrykr24Dined on 11/21/2014I decided to take my wife to Motor Supply Company as a surprise dinner before going to the TSO concert, and I'm so very glad I did. I had a good feeling about the restaurant when I found it on line. The menu was short (single page for everything) but the choices were plentiful. The food was cooked to perfection, with just the right amount of seasoning. The service was second to none that I have been to. My wife and I have been telling our friends and family about our experience, and will definately be returning for lunch, and other nice dinners together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FoodcoppiDined on 11/19/2014The valet service was very helpful. The attendant works for tips, he was courteous, opened the doors for us, and was accommodating. We were taken promptly to our table, and the waiters immediately came to us. We both ordered the duck dinner after eating the butternut squash soup--both were fixed to perfection and tasted devine! We topped the meal off with decaf coffee and cremebrule--wonderful choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerSeaboardinerDined on 11/9/2014Had not been to Motor Supply for dinner in a while. It was excellent! Rack of lamb and steak, both cooked to perfection; vegetables on the side were fresh and flavorful. Salads were a little bland. Waiter was excellent, and made a great, but moderately priced, wine recommendation.Special Features:
- Motor Supply Co BistroLaurabelleDined on 11/9/2014Stopped in for Sunday brunch with the whole family. Hard to find a restaurant to accommodate our various quirks- meat eaters, vegetarians, gluten intolerant. Not only did Motor Supply Co have something for everyone, it was all delicious. The waitstaff was friendly and not intrusive and we actually got to enjoy our brunch and each others company without ever feeling rushed will definitely be eating there again and highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food in ColumbiaBenInSCDined on 11/7/2014Motor Supply had great food, a cool environment, excellent service and very tasty drinks. We went here for a nice night out and enjoyed the experience so much that we will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Mealmandu18Dined on 11/7/2014Let me start by saying that not only was the food delicious, but our server was perfect! She was friendly, knowledgeable, attentive-but-not-too-attentive, and was always there at just the right moment. The charcuterie board was excellent, duck duo and hanger steak were our favorites. The bourbon banana tart was delicious even though it wasn't pretty. Since the menu is ever-changing and evolving I know these specifics may not help a future diner, but I have never had a bad meal here!Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphere!deliciousfoodDined on 11/2/2014Motor Supply Company Bistro has a great wine list and unique food that changes often. I had the Mahi Mahi, and I would definitely recommend getting that if it happens to be on the menu when you're there. Other people in group ordered the steak with cauliflower and the shrimp and grits, and they loved their food as well. I am definitely going back to dine here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food, changing menuMowgliDined on 11/1/2014The menu makes the food look extremely tasty, and every dish completely delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehkarenDined on 11/1/2014First visit to Motor supply and really looking forward to it, based on local reputation. Food sounded good and was well presented, but in retrospect each course had a major disappointment. Wine by the glass was off (was rapidly replaced with no trouble). Parsnip "chips" on salad were limp. Duck duo: confit overly salty, "crispy" breast not at all crispy, dessert tart had overbaked, old, inedible crust and flavorless filling. Companion's steak and creme brule were more acceptable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/31/2014Best restaurant I've found near campus in Columbia. I'll be back-if I can get a reservation, that is!Special Features:
- Always GreatRIdinerVIPDined on 10/31/2014Great menu that changes daily. A must in Columbia.Special Features:
- Off Night?NewlocalDined on 10/31/2014The consistency of the grits that were served with shrimp was very watery. The waiter actually brought a spoon to eat the dish like a soup. Although this dish was lackluster, the other dish was executed nicely and the atmosphere is always enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- twoSCfoodiestwoSCfoodiesDined on 10/31/2014The food was great as usual. This place is one of my and my husbands best places to get a really good meal and drinks. The menu usually has a nice variety of foods and the main dishes are consistently delicious. The service is always great and our waiter was friendly and was able to answer any questions we had about the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nxr1nxr1Dined on 10/28/2014We had a large group they were able to accommodate even though our reservation had been for 4. Each of us had a very good meal from the duck, swordfish, shrimp to vegetarian entrees. Service was attentive. I would recommend.Special Features:
- Lack Luster LambHowitwasDined on 10/19/2014the whole experience was not horrid. It was definately not good, or great. I wasn't given a knife with my lamb. I was brought to eating it like a hooligan; bone in hand. The bread came out with the food not before and my whiskey neat was poured light. The palace was loud. I could wait to leave. The lamb was okay; a bit tough. It wasn't the worst. I eventual was taken pity on and given a knife. My water was refilled. I won't go there again but I probably went there on the wrong right.Special Features:
- vegetarian option verygoodLoriDined on 10/17/2014Eclectic Food. Great Service. I Would SuggestGoing To NoonAh ForDessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently EnjoyableSCFoodieVIPDined on 10/14/2014Cocktails, food, and wine were excellent here as always. Our waiter was attentive, without being overbearing, and allowed us to dine at our own pace. The newly-enclosed back-porch area is lovely, but will be much benefited by some sound-suppressing panels. There was a large party dining there at the same time we were the other night and the noise level was atrocious. However, our waiter assured us that they will be fixing the sound situation soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experiencedisneyduoDined on 10/12/2014The staff was very friendly. They explained the farm to table way they do things. Our waiter was also able to answer our questions about the appetizers without hesitation. I had wreckfish, a flaky whitefish, which was very good. My wife had bacon wrapped rabbit. That was delicious. I had a small sample. Neither of us had ever tried rabbit before and both of us were impressed. We will definitely go back again when the grandparents can watch our three little ones ( 6, 4 &2) again.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in Columbia!BesteatsDined on 10/12/2014Motor Supply is the best in every category, not the least of which is it's predictably unpredictable food. Their menu changes every meal and is replete with seasonal/fresh ingredients from local farms, etc. -- always a welcome hard choice. The service is professional and helpful, while also bright and friendly. The wine list is extensive - something of a travelog. Can compete with any restaurant anywhere for memorable dining experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a weekend lunchVirginiafoodloverDined on 10/11/2014I made a reservation at Motor Co Bistro based on online reviews and a look-see at the online menu. I wasn't disappointed. My 3 fellow diners and I sat in the glassed-in porch area, which with ceiling fans running, was bright, comfortable, and quieter than the main part of the restaurant. Two of us enjoyed entree-sized salads, one with pulled chicken and one with grilled salmon - both very tasty. Two of us ordered sandwiches - the corned beef and the turkey on jalapeno cornbread. Both sandwiches were ample, with obviously fresh ingredients (the perfectly ripe tomatoes were particularly good). Needless to say, few crumbs were left on anyone's plate! Only wish list item would be sweet tea - Columbia is still the South, right?Special Features:
- Always GoodecinpaDined on 10/8/2014I visit Columbia about every other month with colleagues and we eat at a local restaurant each time. MSC is one of our favorites. We have never been dissapointed by the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good weeknight dinnerLastchanceDined on 10/8/2014The Harvest Week menu sounded attractive and was very tasty although the selection of items was not large. Salads were perfect except for the usual large leaves of greenery that require cutting. The wine list was excellent and our selection was served at exactly the right temperature.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harvest WeeknomonthisDined on 10/7/2014It was Harvest Week at Motor....if you ever get a chance to visit during this special time, do it! You won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Great local spot!RaffertyTravel2014Dined on 10/3/2014Fabulous food, service, management, and staff Food was exception and different. It was a great experience to try something new and the artsy environment was awesome. Majorly recommend people who enjoy a unique and eclectic spot to try it. Thank you Motor Supply Company Bistro for a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great seviceParentsNightOutDined on 10/3/2014I enjoyed the food and service feom start to finish. My reservation was honored on time. While my wife and I got to the restaurant a little early we were offered seating at the bar until our table was prepared. The bartender was professional and knowledgeable of the menu well enough to help us decide our meal prior to being seated. I ordered a flower delivery and that was on time as well. We will return and I recommend this restaurant as a dinner date option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie AmbianceseafloorscottDined on 9/30/2014Motor Supply stands out among the top three restaurants for local, gourmet dining in Columbia. The charcuterie is always an excellent option and the wine list is long enough to accomodate any taste.Special Features:
- dtregDined on 9/27/2014Excellent service and food. Did not disappoint from referrals and Trip Advisor rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dyneDined on 9/27/2014Disappointing food-wise. Everything came out tired and bored (bland and under/over-cooked). Also, I couldn't post this review without making a "recommendation." There were no fitting options, so I chose "notable wine list" just to post.Special Features:
- Great Food. So-so serviceDesiDined on 9/26/2014We are dinner here. The food was quite good. However, service was very slow. In fairness to the restaurant it was parent's weekend at USC and the place was packed. I would definitely eat there again. Great bread. The shrimp and grits were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ServiceGamecockGourmetDined on 9/26/2014We had a super meal on a special occasion. Wait staff was very patient even though it was a busy night. The food was excellent and portions were reasonable but not overwhelming. I'd go back any time!Special Features:
- Always a culinary experience!MikeHikeEatVIPDined on 9/26/2014Dinner for four during parent's weekend was excellent. We are from our of town, but this was our 3rd visit to the restaurant. We always enjoy their inventive drink menu; this time we had their Bloody Mary with Bacon infused vodka. The wine menu also includes a very diverse selection of solid choices at a spectrum of price points. We started with their salad with fruit, Cheese Plate, then had the Scallops, Fish of the day, Shrimp and Grits, Bone in Pork chop for dinner. Everything was well seasoned and perfectly done. The carrot cake and creme brulee where a great finish to our dinner. Service was terrific and we enjoyed our evening!Special Features:
- Great dinner placecoindepthDined on 9/26/2014Went hear for our one year anniversary and we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but datedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014We had a fine meal before going to see a concert. Local and seasonal sourcing is important to us, so that is why we chose to dine here, and it was recommended by local friends. Our waitress was amazing, but the bar service was very slow. The was good, but felt a bit dated, as if we were dining in 1999. My bone in pork chop was over cooked (should really be cooked to medium or medium well, with the quality of pork that was used) to the point of being dry and chewy. My wife's steak was cooked perfectly, though. The tart crust for our apple pie desert tasted as if it had been stored too long. We would return if we are in town again for a special occasion, but with lower expectations. For the price, it left a lot to be desired.Special Features:
- Great foodGamecock1Dined on 9/19/2014this is the Best restaurant in Columbia SC. The is farm to table fresh and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014First time going here. Went for an anniversary and had a great time. The food was FANTASTIC and well worth the money. Service was great and extremely fast. Greeting staff was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerdougnnnDined on 9/19/2014Menu has nice small selection. We had 3 different selections and all were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome business dinnerLindaLouDined on 9/13/2014we selected this restaurant for a business dinner, and it could not have gone more smoothly. One of our dinner guests had several food sensitivities and they were really able to guide us effortlessly into selections that would work. I had seared scallops with green beans, and it was outstanding. One diner had the vegetarian dish (eggplant). He thought it was delicious...just wished there had been more. This is definitely "California Cuisine" .. You WILL have room for dessert! I LIKE that...he wanted a little more. Next time he will order a salad pre entrée!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love their food!gagalVIPDined on 9/12/2014We only visit Columbia once every two years for the certain football game but we have been coming here for the last three games. Their food has incredible flavors and I am always intrigued by their food combinations. Makes me want to take out one of my 3000+ cookbooks when I get home and start cooking!Special Features:
- Always a winner!RIdinerVIPDined on 9/12/2014I have been here three times and it has always been excellent. The changing menu keeps it fresh.Special Features: