Motor Supply Company Bistro
920 Gervais St.
Columbia, SC 29201Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Motor Supply Company Bistro
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.motorsupplycobistro.com/
- Phone: 8032566687x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday-Saturday, 11:30 am-2:30 pm
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday, 5:30 pm-9:30 pm
Friday-Saturday, 5:30 pm-10:30 pm
Sunday, 5:30 pm-9:00 pm
Brunch: Sunday, 10:30 am-2:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wesley Fulmer
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Koger Center for the Arts, Columbia Museum of Art, Colonial Life Arena, Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center; local bars, clubs and nightlife; several hotels and shopping venues all within walking distance in the Vista
- Special Events: We host a biannual farm-to-table celebration to give back to our local, sustainable farming partners called Harvest Week. For details about the next Harvest Week, visit http://www.motorsupplycobistro.com, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
- Cross Street: Park and Lincoln Sts.
- Public Transit: There are several public transit stops throughout the Columbia, SC downtown area, one of which is located a half-block from Motor Supply Co. Bistro. During the evenings, especially on weekends, taxis are readily available throughout the Vista.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Free valet parking Tuesday-Saturday evenings and Tuesday-Friday at lunch. Parking lot with ~20 spaces. Easily accessible street parking.
A word from Motor Supply Company Bistro
Located in the historic Congaree Vista with a heated patio and free valet parking, Motor Supply has been serving progressive, New World cuisine using classic French culinary techniques for over 20 years. Led by Executive Chef Wesley Fulmer, the kitchen's lunch, dinner and brunch handwritten menus change daily, featuring contemporary New American cuisine, with nods to Creole, Cajun, Southern, French and Asian cuisine. Motor Supply works with local, sustainable farms for produce, meats, dairy and more. Seafood is caught off of the SC coast, and all of our charcuterie, desserts, stocks, sauces and dressings are made in-house. The bar boasts an extensive Wine Spectator Award of Excellence-winning list (2006-13), imported, domestic and local craft beers, as well as an artisan farm-to-shaker cocktail list made from house-infused liquors, handmade bitters, barrel-aged spirits and locally-sourced ingredients and garnishes, mixed up by Head Barman Josh Streetman.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Motor Supply Company Bistro - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
Motor Supply Company Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (107)special occasion (95)notable wine list (62)romantic (54)neighborhood gem (45)hot spot (38)great for outdoor dining (34)great for brunch (29)good for groups (28)great for lunch (27)vibrant bar scene (22)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- vegetarian option verygoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/17/2014Eclectic Food. Great Service. I Would SuggestGoing To NoonAh ForDessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently EnjoyableSCFoodieDined on 10/14/2014Cocktails, food, and wine were excellent here as always. Our waiter was attentive, without being overbearing, and allowed us to dine at our own pace. The newly-enclosed back-porch area is lovely, but will be much benefited by some sound-suppressing panels. There was a large party dining there at the same time we were the other night and the noise level was atrocious. However, our waiter assured us that they will be fixing the sound situation soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experiencedisneyduoDined on 10/12/2014The staff was very friendly. They explained the farm to table way they do things. Our waiter was also able to answer our questions about the appetizers without hesitation. I had wreckfish, a flaky whitefish, which was very good. My wife had bacon wrapped rabbit. That was delicious. I had a small sample. Neither of us had ever tried rabbit before and both of us were impressed. We will definitely go back again when the grandparents can watch our three little ones ( 6, 4 &2) again.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in Columbia!BesteatsDined on 10/12/2014Motor Supply is the best in every category, not the least of which is it's predictably unpredictable food. Their menu changes every meal and is replete with seasonal/fresh ingredients from local farms, etc. -- always a welcome hard choice. The service is professional and helpful, while also bright and friendly. The wine list is extensive - something of a travelog. Can compete with any restaurant anywhere for memorable dining experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a weekend lunchVirginiafoodloverDined on 10/11/2014I made a reservation at Motor Co Bistro based on online reviews and a look-see at the online menu. I wasn't disappointed. My 3 fellow diners and I sat in the glassed-in porch area, which with ceiling fans running, was bright, comfortable, and quieter than the main part of the restaurant. Two of us enjoyed entree-sized salads, one with pulled chicken and one with grilled salmon - both very tasty. Two of us ordered sandwiches - the corned beef and the turkey on jalapeno cornbread. Both sandwiches were ample, with obviously fresh ingredients (the perfectly ripe tomatoes were particularly good). Needless to say, few crumbs were left on anyone's plate! Only wish list item would be sweet tea - Columbia is still the South, right?Special Features:
- Always GoodecinpaDined on 10/8/2014I visit Columbia about every other month with colleagues and we eat at a local restaurant each time. MSC is one of our favorites. We have never been dissapointed by the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good weeknight dinnerLastchanceDined on 10/8/2014The Harvest Week menu sounded attractive and was very tasty although the selection of items was not large. Salads were perfect except for the usual large leaves of greenery that require cutting. The wine list was excellent and our selection was served at exactly the right temperature.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Harvest WeeknomonthisDined on 10/7/2014It was Harvest Week at Motor....if you ever get a chance to visit during this special time, do it! You won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Great local spot!RaffertyTravel2014Dined on 10/3/2014Fabulous food, service, management, and staff Food was exception and different. It was a great experience to try something new and the artsy environment was awesome. Majorly recommend people who enjoy a unique and eclectic spot to try it. Thank you Motor Supply Company Bistro for a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great seviceParentsNightOutDined on 10/3/2014I enjoyed the food and service feom start to finish. My reservation was honored on time. While my wife and I got to the restaurant a little early we were offered seating at the bar until our table was prepared. The bartender was professional and knowledgeable of the menu well enough to help us decide our meal prior to being seated. I ordered a flower delivery and that was on time as well. We will return and I recommend this restaurant as a dinner date option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie AmbianceseafloorscottDined on 9/30/2014Motor Supply stands out among the top three restaurants for local, gourmet dining in Columbia. The charcuterie is always an excellent option and the wine list is long enough to accomodate any taste.Special Features:
- dtregDined on 9/27/2014Excellent service and food. Did not disappoint from referrals and Trip Advisor rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2dyneDined on 9/27/2014Disappointing food-wise. Everything came out tired and bored (bland and under/over-cooked). Also, I couldn't post this review without making a "recommendation." There were no fitting options, so I chose "notable wine list" just to post.Special Features:
- Great Food. So-so serviceDesiDined on 9/26/2014We are dinner here. The food was quite good. However, service was very slow. In fairness to the restaurant it was parent's weekend at USC and the place was packed. I would definitely eat there again. Great bread. The shrimp and grits were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ServiceGamecockGourmetDined on 9/26/2014We had a super meal on a special occasion. Wait staff was very patient even though it was a busy night. The food was excellent and portions were reasonable but not overwhelming. I'd go back any time!Special Features:
- Always a culinary experience!MikeHikeEatVIPDined on 9/26/2014Dinner for four during parent's weekend was excellent. We are from our of town, but this was our 3rd visit to the restaurant. We always enjoy their inventive drink menu; this time we had their Bloody Mary with Bacon infused vodka. The wine menu also includes a very diverse selection of solid choices at a spectrum of price points. We started with their salad with fruit, Cheese Plate, then had the Scallops, Fish of the day, Shrimp and Grits, Bone in Pork chop for dinner. Everything was well seasoned and perfectly done. The carrot cake and creme brulee where a great finish to our dinner. Service was terrific and we enjoyed our evening!Special Features:
- Great dinner placecoindepthDined on 9/26/2014Went hear for our one year anniversary and we had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but datedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2014We had a fine meal before going to see a concert. Local and seasonal sourcing is important to us, so that is why we chose to dine here, and it was recommended by local friends. Our waitress was amazing, but the bar service was very slow. The was good, but felt a bit dated, as if we were dining in 1999. My bone in pork chop was over cooked (should really be cooked to medium or medium well, with the quality of pork that was used) to the point of being dry and chewy. My wife's steak was cooked perfectly, though. The tart crust for our apple pie desert tasted as if it had been stored too long. We would return if we are in town again for a special occasion, but with lower expectations. For the price, it left a lot to be desired.Special Features:
- Great foodGamecock1Dined on 9/19/2014this is the Best restaurant in Columbia SC. The is farm to table fresh and creative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014First time going here. Went for an anniversary and had a great time. The food was FANTASTIC and well worth the money. Service was great and extremely fast. Greeting staff was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerdougnnnDined on 9/19/2014Menu has nice small selection. We had 3 different selections and all were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome business dinnerLindaLouDined on 9/13/2014we selected this restaurant for a business dinner, and it could not have gone more smoothly. One of our dinner guests had several food sensitivities and they were really able to guide us effortlessly into selections that would work. I had seared scallops with green beans, and it was outstanding. One diner had the vegetarian dish (eggplant). He thought it was delicious...just wished there had been more. This is definitely "California Cuisine" .. You WILL have room for dessert! I LIKE that...he wanted a little more. Next time he will order a salad pre entrée!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love their food!gagalVIPDined on 9/12/2014We only visit Columbia once every two years for the certain football game but we have been coming here for the last three games. Their food has incredible flavors and I am always intrigued by their food combinations. Makes me want to take out one of my 3000+ cookbooks when I get home and start cooking!Special Features:
- Always a winner!RIdinerVIPDined on 9/12/2014I have been here three times and it has always been excellent. The changing menu keeps it fresh.Special Features:
- Amazing experiencerachezDined on 9/12/2014We came for our 2 year anniversary and we were very impressed. The waitress was knowledgeable about the menu and made every dish sound delectable. We finally choose 2 different steaks and both were exceptional: crispy and flavorful on the outside and melt in your mouth on the inside. My boyfriend said it was the best steak he's ever had. We can't wait for an excuse to come back.Special Features:
- Our go to date night!cchoosDined on 9/7/2014Always come back to The Motor Supply Company for our date nights. My husband and I love the atmosphere, the service is always great, and the food is outstanding.Special Features:
- Perfect dining experienceMichaelBVIPDined on 9/4/2014Party of 4 and each of our meals and appetizers were excellent. Motor Supply has been a long time favorite and we keep wondering how it just gets better and better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gervais GemWacowillyDined on 9/4/2014Don't let the name fool you . This is not a burger and beer joint. My wife and had the Cobia, daughter the CAB sirloin and son-in-law duck. All were exquisite in presentation and taste. Service was second to none. This just went to the top of our list of best places to eat in Columbia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GIGIVIPDined on 9/3/2014TOO LOUD - TOO EXPENSIVE FOR THE VALUE AND VERY LIMITED MENU. WILL NOT GO BACK. AND OUR GUESTS FELT THE SAME.
- Not to be missedEkwalker80Dined on 8/31/2014I took my 2 children ages 3 and 7 for dinner. They do not have a children's menu which is wonderful! We enjoyed mussels, the butcher block, salad, and Cobia. The service was friendly and the wine list extensive. They source their food locally and create amazing dishes full of passion! We had a truly amazing experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shen98Dined on 8/29/2014Nice ambiance, nice wine list. Fun bar scene and great patio. Good option for a nice dinner in the vista.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatWillieDined on 8/29/2014Would have had 5 stars but the outdoor seating had a huge glare, then the sun was coming in through the unfinished patio and making us so hot we had to move. The waiter said they were almost finished and that it wouldn't be an issue when completed. Would recommend this place, but don't sit outside until they are finished with the remodel. Food was excellent and local/fresh. Pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary DinnerBigJeffDined on 8/28/2014Service was outstanding, from the time we were greeted at the door to the time we left. Our server was attentive to our needs, helped us decide what meals we were going to have and was knowledgable about the beer list. It's one thing to have someone knowledgable about the wine list, that's pretty much a given, but when you're knowledgeable about the beer list, its a huge plus in my book. Wife and I had the Duck and flat iron. Both were outstanding and cooked perfectly. Great night out.Special Features:
- RawrfDined on 8/26/2014The experience started outside. Valet was very kind and welcoming. Price included in meal tips only. Hostess was intelligent and quick to help us. Server was knowledgeable. Kindly gave excellent suggestions to aid in our decisions. Appetizer was so good it only left us wanting more. Bread was brought to the table with specialty butter. Bread left some to be desired. Entrees were both outstanding and the menu is fresh and changes regularly. MSco. also had an extensive unique cocktail and wine list. Overall wonderful experience would go back in an instant if looking for a nice meal in the Vista.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hangin in columbiavisittocharlestonDined on 8/26/2014It is a bit hidden on the main street, but completely lovely on the inside. The patio was just renovated and is quite lovely. The food was amazing! Everything I had melted in my mouth and was cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- FABULOUS!!!grubgirlDined on 8/24/2014This is my first time at Motor Supply Company. I have been wanting to go for some time and I was not disappointed. I will dine here as much as possible especially due to the ever changing menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!foodiemomDined on 8/23/2014Motor Supply is by far my new favorite restaurant! Small but definitely big in ambiance and overall experience. Our server was promp, polite, and very knowledgeable. The menu changes every night which I personally love. The food is absolutely fantastic and unique with a wine list to match. If you are looking to make an impression or just want to try something fun and new. This, is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining Experience!HappyDinersDined on 8/23/2014Our youngest son just started his freshman year at USC. Not being particularly familiar with Columbia we hunted around on online to find a nice place to eat when we come to visit him. Boy, did we win the lottery on finding this restaurant! The food was excellent and the server was very attentive and friendly. The restaurant itself had a nice upscale feel to it without being pretentious. Parking is a bit tight so be sure to take advantage of the valet service!Special Features:
- A little shy of perfectionMakeextrasyrupDined on 8/19/2014After making a res. on OT, we waited another 10 min. once we arrived. We ordered the charcuterie plate, but the pickles were way to vinegar-y. My mom ordered sweet tea & was told they only served unsweet. I get that, but when I asked for simple syrup (something I knew they had at the bar), they told us they only had a little & couldn't give us any. It's only water/sugar; not some magical concoction. Geesh! For a place that touts themselves as local/fresh, they should have a sweetener that's not artificial. The rest of the meal was delicious. We shared the cobia, coulette steak & mushroom/avacado salad. All scrumptious. We eneded the meal w/ coffee & lemon/blueberry cake. Yum. Overall good exp, but I'd work on the sweetener & res. issues.Special Features:
- Expected more/better from rec7platesDined on 8/17/2014Never write reviews, but MS was recommended to us by some hometown (Austin) friends. Obviously, we are used to hip dining and "foodie" experiences being from Austin. While the food was good, the drinks were too sweet and the waiter couldn't tell me the ingredients. The staff, from hostess to waiter was blah, and the decor stuck in a time warp. The handwritten menu, while obviously meant to be unique, was difficult to read. Again, ok, but MS so doesn't give a cool, hip, local vibe, farm to table type place that we usually enjoy and are used to. Additionally, we are not food/restaurant snobs, but this place seems to rely on hype and not enough follow through. Would not go back and won't recommend to other USC parents. Up your game.