Motor City Kitchen
525 West Lafeyette Blvd,
Detroit, MI 48226Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Motor City Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.detroitsuites.doubletree.com/
- Phone: 3139635600x5020
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30 AM - 10:30 AM, Saturday - Sunday: 7:30 AM - 11:30 AM; Soul Food Buffet: Friday: 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 5:00 PM, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM (Round Bar seating only during lunch) Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM (Main Dining Room) Monday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 11:00PM (Round Bar)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Grant Green
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer two private dinning rooms; The 1st St. Cellar and The Fort St. Room.
- Private Party Contact: Anthony Mason 3139635600x5020
- Special Events: Join us every Friday afternoon from 12 PM - 2 PM for our Soul Food Buffet. For only $12.95 (includes soft drinks, limit 2 refills) you can enjoy our southern fried catfish and chicken, candied yams, collard greens (seasoned with smoked turkey), homestyle macaroni and cheese, red beans and rice, corn muffins, salad bar and dessert (varies weekly).
A word from Motor City Kitchen
Motor City Kitchen offers the freshest seafood, and prime steaks. In a beautifully restored restaurant featuring a nonstop bar with innovative cocktails and select wines. Enjoy the friendly service and high energy while you savor the fresh food and stunning ambiance. We are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.We are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Motor City Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
- ehh-expected more for the $$$$foodexpertsDined on 3/1/2014The food was ok, but the service was horrible. It was extremely slow at the time we were there, and when we ordered a drink, waited at least 25minutes for it! The service was terrible... Too bad :(Special Features:
- Nice people, poorly runtookforeverDined on 2/14/2014The food at Finn and Porter's was actually quite good. The server was polite and worked hard. It seems to me that the set-up is the problem. The hotel bar also supplies drinks for the restaurant and was terribly slow. The food runners had no idea where to deliver food, it is unclear why. But most of all it wasn't busy and still took us two hours to eat dinner for two. We didn't even have appetizers. If you have a lot of time and don't care about waiting, it is a fine place to eat. If you have more realistic expectations, go somewhere else.
- Excellant ServiceAnthony502Dined on 2/14/2014I proposed to my long time girlfriend with the help of Anthony (Manager). I call a few days before and he helped me plan putting the ring in chocolate Mouse with whip cream on the side. He brought it out with the ring slightly in the whip cream! It was an excellent idea and I thank Anthony for going the extra mile. Excellent food, service, and ambience for romance, Tasty Sushi, Gumbo, and Steak. A real pleaser of Detroit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent ambience, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014excellent ambience, service but my scallops were very salty. maybe overdid it with the salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not GoodSkierDined on 1/31/2014When we arrived we were told that they did not want to open the restaurant because they were short staffed. They asked if we could sit in the bar across the hall for dinner instead. That was fine but apparently short staffed also meant the bar and cooks too. Everything was slow. One waiter and one bartender for the whole place was inadequate. No reflection on the bartender and server as their hustle was the only reason for 2 stars instead of 1. Almost everything was too salty. My salmon was about the only good thing any of us had. My wife had scallops and could only eat one of the four because they were so bad. We mentioned it to the waiter and he briefly apologized and left. The bill came and nothing was deleted from it.
- its a bardisappointedDined on 12/25/2013I can't tell you how the food was because I didn't eat there. I was disappointed with it having a bar scene versus a restaurant look. That was not my idea Christmas setting plus the place was empty.Special Features:
- Okay but priceyDDB2013Dined on 12/14/2013We had a room at the hotel and had dinner there before going to a game. Expected something different based on info we had. Service was good and food was ok. We had appetizers since we were not hungry and still ended up with over $50 for a bill. Location is right in the hotel and within walking distance to the JoeI would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Worth the (Ungodly Long) WaitkohonmDined on 11/29/2013The food was outstanding -- among the best that I've had in a long time -- but the service was brutal. The place was barely occupied, but we waited the better part of 20 minutes after being seated before our waiter greeted us. Before we could order drinks, he took off into the back. When he finally returned, we wanted to order our food as well as drinks to speed up the process, but he took off again. When he finally returned, we got partway through our orders before he took off yet again. From the time we sat to when we completed our orders was the better part of an hour. Thankfully, our orders arrived quickly, but the wait nearly made us late for an appointment. I'm certain this doesn't happen with all the wait staff, but this was awful.Special Features:
- The WorstZManVIPDined on 11/29/2013Had reservations @ 5pm on Friday, server wasn't prepared. Ordered breaded zucchini and quesadilla appetizers; the zucchini came out burnt and had overly thick breading. Ordered perch for dinner, once again, this was overly breaded and the fish tasted old and dry.
- The waiter was good but IOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2013The waiter was good but I would not recommend this restaurant for an intimate date night. I had reservations, and someone happened to book Finn Porter at the last minute and we had to be seated near the bar. The manager did not seem to care too much.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Bliss Brunch had aFalldrm1Dined on 10/13/2013Enjoyed Bliss Brunch had a great time and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Be BackTheRoseDined on 5/24/2013The service, ambience, and food was amazing. Thoroughly enjoyed. Will be back as soon as my schedule will allow.Special Features:
- Simply DivineAmaloneDined on 5/12/2013I had the pleasure of dining there on Mother's Day. The Brunch was absolutely delicious!!! I will be attending next year and will bring going any other special occasions if this brunch is available!!! The different variety of foods were excellent and was honored to meet the chef who was very humble. The wait staff was very attentive and the mimosa's were truly bottomless:) The live entertainment was a joy...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came to F & P for breakfastKJ313Dined on 5/12/2013Came to F & P for breakfast on Mother's Day. Food was terrible.
- Not worth the money.ericlDined on 5/9/2013Stay away!! Its a lousy hotel restaurant. Both entrees came out wrong. Even though we were the only table in the place, it took a long time to get corrected. The only plus were the happy hour priced drinks.
- The Sunday Brunch was reallyRashidaJDined on 4/21/2013The Sunday Brunch was really tasty! The wait-staff was amazing!
- This was our first visit andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2013This was our first visit and I was disappointed. There was only one waiter for the entire section of the restaurant. Thus, service was poor. He was doing is best but there were many tables filled and he was hustling all the way. I ordered the caesar salad which was delicious, had the barbq chicken entree which was not good. My husband ordered the whitefish which he said was ok. We will give it one more chance, but if we encounter the same issues, it will be checked off our list. Since we live near downtown, we try to frequent the local restaurants as much as possible. Our first time was disappointing.
- Good Food, Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2013Food was very good, but the service was very poor.
- Brunch is betterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/24/2013This is a nice restaurant. I have visited here during breakfast and lunch and prefer brunch more. The food is brought out constantly and you do not have to continuously ask for more. The ambiance is also better during brunch. By lunch time, the staff is a little less friendly and a little less helpful. Also, if you made reservations, try to call ahead of time, or even a day ahead, to be sure they are confirmed.Special Features:
- We went for Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/3/2013We went for Sunday Brunch and it was really nice. We were pleasantly surprised, being that it was the first time for everyone. We had a group of 9, plus 2 children. No complaints. The food, the service, the atmosphere was good. Would definitely return!!Special Features:
- We enjoyed the quiet atmosphereWolverinemanDined on 1/25/2013We enjoyed the quiet atmosphere and great service. Our waitperson was friendly and attentive. Look forward to going back in the future. The Chipolte pasta dish was wonderful and enough for two meals.Special Features:
- below average food,fair service,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/27/2012below average food,fair service, not a place I would recommend or return to. We went before the World Series game are were one of two patron groups. Tells you something.
- My family and I wanted a DetroitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/15/2012My family and I wanted a Detroit experience, something we've never done as life-long Detroiters. Within this Detroit experience, Finn & Porter met our expectation. The food was very good and so was the service. We had a really good time.Special Features:
- While the food was quite good...theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/28/2012While the food was quite good...there was only 1 other couple at 7:p.m. aside from my group of three. An empty restaurant on a Saturday evening is odd.Special Features:
- Nobody there at 7 PM on aBobMcVIPDined on 6/23/2012Nobody there at 7 PM on a Saturday night - I know why.
- Enjoyed the soul food buffetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2012Enjoyed the soul food buffet on Friday. There are better soul food establishments in and around the city, however for the price, service and buffet style I have to commend Finn and Porter on a job well done. The chicken lacked seasoning but the fish was fresh and fried nicely. I enjoyed the greens as well and the muffins are particularly delectable. The service from the door to those who re-stock the buffet is phenomenal!Special Features:
- Our server was great and offeredPollaDined on 6/9/2012Our server was great and offered us free dessert. She has great reccomendation on the food and wine. The shrimp casadias are excellent!Special Features:
- Nothing nice to say. We wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2012Nothing nice to say. We were the only couple there on a Friday evening and I know why. Bought most expensive bottle of wine and found cork in the glass and, someone switched the busted cork with another (different type, blend and country) to cover up their mistake. BAD! Never again!
- Great food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/5/2012Food was very good but service a little slow, considering we were only 1 of 4 tables there at 7:30 pmSpecial Features:
- I was pleasently suprised,DianeVIPDined on 1/26/2012I was pleasently suprised, I had previously seen some poor review and was a bit hesitant to try out the restaurnat. The service was excellent our waitress was very pleasant and attentative. The food was very good and the presentation was excellent. I would recomend this to anyone and will certainely be back.Special Features:
- Food was very good. KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/21/2012Food was very good. Kitchen staff so loud, service slow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are in a hurry go elsewhere..Special Features:
- Very enjoyable dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2012Very enjoyable dining experience - we ate in the dining room and will try the bar, which also provides food, the next time. Both sites provide a nice atmosphere and ambiance.Special Features:
- Pass on Finn & PorterChrisVIPDined on 10/29/2011Dead Atmosphere, slow service even though only a couple of tables on a Saturday night. NO ambiance or music. Can hear the kitchen crew yelling from dining area. Prices to high for such a below average experience. Filet was good and that is about it. Everything else was average or below average once again especially for the price. $124 for 2 people with one app 2 entrees 2 salads 2 deserts and 2 glasses of wine.
- We both had fish from theHIGraficsBVIPDined on 10/3/2011We both had fish from the restaurant, but served in the bar. Great happy hour drink (beer and house wine) specials. Nice bar area. Since main restaurant was closed when we visited, I can't speak to it, but it looked very nice. We enjoyed our meals, and had a nice little table by the window. Bar area and around had lots of patrons but it wasn't noisy.
- We were one of two partiesEllenDined on 8/27/2011We were one of two parties seated on a Saturday night. It was unsettling eating in a restaurant with no other diners. Two of our party were concerned about the freshness of the food, inasmuch as the place was empty. However, the salads were tasty and fresh. My steak was done to my order and delicious as was the trout, ordered by another in our party.The food was nicely presented, including the bread pudding which we shared for dessert.
- Finn and DisappointmentDougDined on 8/25/2011The facility is very pretty but we were one of only a couple talbles int he plance and it took forever to get our food. a couple of the dishes were not what was described o the menu and the chef acknolodged this but said they didn't want to change the menu so they just fixed what they had.
- Delightful date night dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2011Delightful date night dinner for my husband and I. His steak was perfectly prepared with a perfect portion and delicious sides. My lobster risotto was also perfectly prepared melting in my mouth. It was topped with shrimp. The staff was friendly and courteous. They were responsive to my special request to not have scallops put on my dinner. We would definitely choose this restaurant again and recommend to others. The only complaint we had was the $13 "service charge" added to our bill which we assume has something to do with the hotel affiliation. That was a bit excessive in our opinion. Tax & gratuity we can live with, but a service charge? Not so much.Special Features: