945 W Fulton
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.motorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (312) 491-0058
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Homaro Cantu
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
A word from Moto Restaurant
Celebrate New Year's Eve at Michelin-starred Moto. Experience Moto like never before, with chef stations serving delectable dishes celebrating all 4 seasons — located throughout the restaurant. Plus, there’s a champagne and cocktail for each season, along with red and white wines. $275 (includes food, drink, tax and gratuity). Doors open at 9 p.m.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Moto Restaurant - Best Restaurants in West Loop ›
Moto Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (23)fit for foodies (19)notable wine list (11)romantic (9)hot spot (4)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)neighborhood gem (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- More than perfectMSLDermatopatoDined on 11/8/2014amazing food, wine and service. All senses satiatedSpecial Features:
- Amazing experience...FoodieAtHeartDined on 11/1/2014To begin with, the service was truly outstanding. All of the employees seem to actually enjoy their jobs. The food was just something you need to experience. Completely original. I think the 'which came first' dish was my favorite. Followed by the wild boar. The initial tasting of the tasting was fun and I enjoyed that they have you a your of the kitchen afterword. I initially thought this was probably a one time experience, but I expect I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday CelebrationGoodeats16Dined on 10/31/2014Went to moto for my significant other's birthday celebration. What a treat. The food was excellent and the presentation was outstanding. The service was second to none. Both she and I have nothing but good things to say about our experience. Notice I said "experience" instead of just a meal. A meal at moto is just that--an experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unforgettable!SarahVIPDined on 10/25/2014I dined at moto with a group over the weekend and we had a truly unforgettable experience. The service was fantastic, the presentation stunning and most importantly, the food was delicious and inventive. I was worried it might not live up to the price tag, but it certainly did. We had a truly great time, the environment was friendly and fun and the staff was helpful. I definitely recommend going to moto!Special Features:
- Outstanding eveningLeasiaVIPDined on 10/10/2014Food was outstanding. 14 courses, loved each one. Every bite was delicious, exciting and interesting. Staff was superb, warm and friendly. Everything, especially the presentation of the food was over the top. Just a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique experiencejbrglndDined on 10/9/2014Compares favorably with Alinea in culinary terms, with warmer, more personable staff and atmosphere. Every course, and there were 15 (!), was unique, with its own focus and conception. Subtle and complex more than bold. More emphasis on ingredients than techniques, but also on aromatics. Only downside was lack of a full bar - it was a celebration and different people wanted different things - but wouldn't make me hesitate in going againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Divinehae88Dined on 9/24/2014One of the best meals I've ever had in this city, and I've been to A LOT of places! Very eclectic, very well-executed, and very well thought out. Presentation is beautiful and service was top notched. But best of all, the food was absolutely delicious, each bite has an element of surprise in it, and it was very well balanced and flavorful as well.Special Features:
- Unique dining experience, good foodRinnyDined on 9/20/2014Went here with my bf because we have always wanted to try a place like this. Atmosphere was really nice and would've given 5 stars if it hadn't been for the extremely smokey smell wafting through the entire restaurant and the fact they sat us right next to the bathroom (literally my boyfriend could lean back less than a foot and peer into the restroom seating area). I expected the food to be really different and it was, most of it was delicious with pops of flavor I wouldn't expect, really different and unique! It was definitely an experience you can't get many other places, it was almost like a show the way they presented the dishes. Dinner took about 3 - 3 1/2 hours. Overall somewhere I would try once every couple years for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very ExpensivePraiseTheLardDined on 9/20/2014This is definitely not a place to go if you're looking to get the "most bang for your buck." Even though the 12+ course meal leaves you full, there was something lacking... One could argue that you're paying for an artshow that showcased "culinary expression at it's finest." But I couldn't help but feel that everything was way overpriced; despite considering the amount of prepwork and thought each bite required.Special Features:
- Crazy GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014A really fun dining experience due to the surprises awaiting in the presentation of each course. Food was wonderfully prepared, but more exotic than we are used to. I enjoyed 12 of the 14 courses which for picky me is very good. The wine pairing complemented dishes well and we would not have enjoyed the night as much without it. Great to step outside our box for the night and enjoy some crazy good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry motoPrincessVIPDined on 8/22/2014Interior design - stark, cold and uninviting. Serves only wine and some after dinner drinks, not explained on their website. Can't recommend food as we did not stay nor eat. Surrounded by oversized trucks making deliveries. Entranceway blends into building and unsure of doorway.
- DisappointingATLfoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014My family & I enjoy spending a quiet, long evening tasting unique cuisine and engaging each other in good conversation. We attempt to have one of these meals once or twice a year. At Moto, we enjoyed the atmosphere, service, conversation & wine, but for the price, the food was merely average. Both Alinea & Next provide a superior dining experience.
- Slightly disappointingletsgetrandyDined on 7/31/2014You know going into it that you're going to get some special food, and good service, and you know you're going to pay a lot. But I guess I assumed that the setting would have a more romantic ambiance. There were tables full of loud, rowdy groups around who kept the overall ambiance less romantic or intimate, and made it feel a lot more like what I'd expect if I took my date to Chili's. Well, except for the fact that at Chili's I wouldn't be seated so far away from her. Sure, I realize the wide table makes it easier to fit the dozens of wine glasses that are going to be there, but I'd like to have felt more within reach of my date, and not as if I needed to speak up in order to be heard... kinda felt like everyone else was listening to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1057 reviews are from the Moto Restaurant reviews archive.
- Moto has EvolvedsuburbanfoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014Moto is still Fit for Foodies and holds the bar high for Dining Experiences in Chicago. But if you are familiar with its reputation for fun quirky dishes of the past, it may disappoint you that they seem to have moved past the days of the Cuban Cigar or Coconut Cream Pie in Packing Peanut form days; the food, while still good, takes on a more serious or common form just like the other menus of its caliber (like Alinea or Next, etc.). Also they don't offer a choice of how many courses your table can order, as in the past you could order 8 tastings instead of 12, etc. Service still exceptional. A special place but one we likely won't return to for the money. Their website still describes their menu from 2 years ago and is not current.Special Features:
- Not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Ive been to several places like this and not my favorite among its kind. Took over 4 hours. All the plates had a strange flavor that felt like you had to force youself to eat after about the 2nd dish which made it feel that much longer. Very creative and unique presentations. I might try it again if it was about a third of the price we paid. Just feel like people should know to try a different place nearby instead.Special Features:
- EntertainingDaveVIPDined on 7/5/2014Dining at this level is really all about entertainment, and Moto delivers a live science show. The multi-course tasting menu is the only option, with available wine pairings or by the bottle/glass. Believe it or not, there is more than enough food even though the individual courses are tiny and spread over three hours. While some courses were misses, there was something fascinating about each (presentation, texture). The price is high -- our tab was about $700 for two people with wine pairings, inclusive of non-negotiable 20% gratuity. Memorable - bison tartare, squid ink chips, thyme capsule, s'mores, wine pairings, tour of the kitchen Forgettable - the tasting tray of the tasting menu, distilled green tea water, stiff dining roomSpecial Features:
- Not bad, but not what it used to beAlmostaSconeDined on 7/3/2014This was my third visit to Moto and by far the most disappointing. While there were several great dishes, I miss the days when Moto had more of a sense of humor. I used to love the cuban cigar, or courses where the candle on the table (supposedly for ambiance) turned out to be a sauce for one of the dishes. Now it's much more typical of your average multi-course modernist cuisine. Also, when I rated the noise level as "quiet" I was wishing for a "silent" option. There was so little sound that my friend and I were afraid to have a conversation above a whisper since anything louder would have been heard by the whole room. But the servers talked very loudly (or rather, at a normal level) despite the silence in the room.
- Good but...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/27/2014We love molecular gastronomy....LOVE it! And we went to Moto expecting something along the lines of Alinea or Mini Bar unfortunately it just was not there. Don't get me wrong - the food was good, very good but there was no WOW factor.Special Features:
- FoodieDined on 6/12/2014I have tried other restaurants similar to this one and found it to be pricey, generally speaking. Flavors and aromas were there, yet the place was empty where others were booked, thst caused a bit of concern. I think its a special occasion place. Overall its clean, good quality, staff is polite and accomodating.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Toned down and elegentMichelinstarVIPDined on 6/7/2014I've been to Moto several times over years. It has lost some of the outrageousness (a dessert that looked exactly like a cigar with ashes!) and replaced it with an elegant, polished presentation and service. Perhaps following Alinea's example? The only negative was the meal was still not over 3-1/2 hours after we started.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceTrufoodiesDined on 5/23/2014This was a superb dining experience. From all the creative presentations of the innovative menu to all the glassware no details were overlooked. The waitress and wait staff were all personable and interested in our thoughts on each course. The cost is a bit prohibitive to return often but, hope to have a special occasion soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/23/2014The service was amazing and so was the food . We would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- average, disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2014the meal was certainly creative but flavors were lacking or off (too salty; just not for me). my favorite dish was the chocolate mousse which I think says something about the overall meal. wait staff takes great care in the service so no complaints there.Special Features:
- Unique and creative dine experienceYasu360VIPDined on 5/13/2014THis is a Chef Hamaro Cantu's restaurant. 14 courses+1 index dish in three and half hours. Start with 1 index-dish what will be in 14 dishes consisting of 14 different main ingredients used for each dish. Very unique. Each dish was created using latest technology like dehydrating fruit, vegetable, and etc...and plated beautifully. Chef Richard Farina was on "top chef" of Bravo channel. A pasty chef is a graduate of prestigious US culinary school "Culinary Institute of America". They will give us a tour of restaurant and kitchen at the end of a dinner. A Chef, pastry chef, and all staffs are all nice and friendly. When they are still busy preparing foods, but still kind enough and generous to let us take memorable photos with them.Special Features:
- Once in a lifetime experiencebefany14Dined on 5/9/2014My husband and I visited Moto after hearing about from several people. We had a hard time finding the restaurant, there aren't any prominent signs outside. Once inside, we were seated immediately and given a wine list. The wine was fabulous. The food was very interesting and it came in very small portions. The service was impeccable. My only complaints are the length of our visit, the price, and the portion sizes. Our dinner took lasted 3 hours! Our bill was $500, more than we were expecting to spend. For spending that much money, I was still hungry when we left. I think the prices should be more clear on the website and on the menu. It was a very interesting experience but we will not be going back.Special Features:
- Creative and funjsovikingDined on 5/3/2014We really enjoyed our dining experience at Moto - and that is exactly what it is - a dining experience. It's a multitude of sensations of smell, visual, taste, texture and an overall fun evening. Go with an open mind and definitely do the wine pairing (if you don't plan to drive). We started with a tasting course, as a small sampling of each of the courses to come. Then each course came with it's own unique presentation and flavor profile. One of our party had a food allergy, and they were able to accommodate it easily. Go and enjoy!Special Features:
- Kiddo meal- amazing!screwcapVIPDined on 5/1/2014Absolutely amazing foodie meal for me & my 12&14yr old. We came here 2 years ago, had great meal that has haunted my now 12 yr old. He insisted... Incredible meal! It lasted 4hrs which was probably 30 min too long but amazing to have super great conversation with my kids amongst Devine food. Each course made for new stories etc.... Food as always is amazing Wines incredible Only down part was that we should have been downstairs in lab& not in the regular room With kids- ask for Lab and kitchen tour Hats off to the whole Team!! Cheers- AndrewSpecial Features:
- Wow FactorJimHVIPDined on 4/26/2014Moto is special. EXCEPTIONAL service. Prix Fixe menu is based on the creativity and whimsy of the chef. Loved it all. Menu is even personalized. I went with the wine pairing as well and enjoyed the matchups. If you are into social media, the restaurant and exec chef both engage with you on twitter. Expensive but well worth it.Special Features:
- Will go it again!ElainaDined on 4/26/2014It was an excellent experience! Make sure you don't have plans afterwards because our dinner lasted about 5 hours... And the time really flew by. The food was delicious, the ambiance as comfortable, and the staff were attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeffVIPDined on 4/24/2014outstanding food, outstanding service. can I give it more than 5 stars please???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded every ExpectationKaitlinVIPDined on 4/19/2014I surprised my Dad for his Birthday by bringing him to Moto. I really wanted to make it special for him, so I called ahead and let the restaurant know about the occasion. The team at Moto went completely above and beyond to make him feel special. The service throughout the entire meal was wonderful. And the food... absolutely spectacular. They were also kind enough to give us a kitchen tour so we could thank the chefs in person for a perfect night. I will be dining at Moto again. It was truly a special celebration.Special Features:
- Exquisite diningExquisitetravelerDined on 3/28/2014The tasting menu was a sensuous adventure for the mind and body, as were the wine pairings. Chef de Laser, Homaro Cantu himself called to confirm the reservation and asked if we had any food issues. He was playful on the phone and easy to chat with. At dinner, we were guided into each course and wine pairing with hints for palate sensations about to be experienced, and they were spot on! Throughout the meal we were offered extra off menu treats and an extra dessert tasting AND a tour of the grow room and kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well doneNjord4Dined on 3/22/2014Not only was the food amazing, what surprised me most was the wonderful progression. The wines paired with the food were exquisite.Special Features:
- Memorable Dining ExperienceGonzo70VIPDined on 3/17/2014Moto is dinner and a show. Wonderful tasting, artistically plated, extremely creative cuisine that impresses course after course. Friendly service and great wines further enhance the meal. Chefs Farina and Crenshaw have taken Moto to another level and it has become one of Chicago's best restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All about the experience!!KirstiDined on 3/1/2014Wonderful meal, perhaps one of the best dining experiences I've ever had. Engages all of the senses and well worth the price. The food itself was absolutely delicious too and the service impeccable. It really made my weekend in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/28/2014The food is witty and interesting but most importantly delicious. Gustatory pleasure dominates, and there were no unsatisfying gimmicks that have become all too common at the temples of modern food. The service was attentive and informative but also warm and unpretentious. The atmosphere is lovely, though austere (especially with the lighting, which was a bit harsh). The wine pairings were expertly chosen; only one sop to those who love oversized, over-fruited California products. We also dined at Grace on this visit to Chicago. Grace is a lovely room with fine (though pretentious) service and at least one great sommelier. But the best course at Grace was bested by at least ten of the courses at Moto. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A food spectacleEdumexDined on 2/22/2014Every dish includes exotic preparations and presentation, so you could say it is more a show than a real dinner. If you are looking for a new and original experience, this is it. I recommend it more for the show than for the food; food is really good, but the whole experience is awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperiencebjamersoVIPDined on 2/21/2014Moto offers a great opportunity to have a strange (in a great way) dining experience. The food is extremely well thought out and the presentation is intricate and elaborate to the point of "wow". Some of the tricks were a little on the gimmicky side, but still fun. My only food criticism is that a few of the dishes were a bit on the salty/over seasoned side. The meal is long (15 courses) as we were there for over 3 hours and is one of the more expensive dining options in the city. Service was outstanding as the servers were knowledgeable and attentive without being pushy or overly noticeable. The only thing I question is whether or not this is a place you can go and be a repeat diner. In my opinion, this is a one time experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Tasting MenuHungryCanadianDined on 2/14/2014Everything was very good from the sample taste menu to the desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly disappointingFoodloversVIPDined on 2/8/2014We were excited as we read positive reviews and felt that Moto may be a worthwhile restaurant. First 5 courses were creative and delicious. The remaining 4 savory courses were not edible due to over salting. We mentioned this to our main waitress. She told us each 4 times that for people who eat very low salt diet, she expects that we would have problems. We explained that we are not on a low salt diet every time. The three of us are friends and we eat out all the time. We have dined multiple times at Grace, Goosefoot, Tru, Elizabeth, Sixteen, Next, Alinea, Nico Osteria, Cicchetti, L2O and The Lobby in just the last 12 months and have never been told 4 consecutive times that its our low salt diet that is the source of the problem.