Motif Restaurant at the St. Regis Resort Monarch Beach
One Monarch Beach Resort
Dana Point, CA 92629Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $31 to $50
Motif Restaurant at the St. Regis Resort Monarch Beach
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.stregismb.com/index.cfm?action=getPage&pageID=29&navGroupID=6
- Phone: 9492343272
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 6:30am - 11:00am; Lunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Frederic Castan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Motif offers a private dining room seating up to 30 guests. Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Christina Mytinger 9492343765
- Entertainment: Live entertainment every Sunday during Brunch!
A word from Motif Restaurant at the St. Regis Resort Monarch Beach
A delectable culinary experience awaits with Executive Chef Frederic Castan at the helm. The cuisine of Motif Restaurant is reminiscent of European style cafés and features an eclectic array of dishes. Motif’s warm, inviting atmosphere overlooks the magnificent Pacific Ocean, and with its scenic indoor and outdoor dining available, is an ideal choice for breakfast, lunch, dinner or an extraordinary Sunday Champagne BrunchContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Motif Restaurant at the St. Regis Resort Monarch Beach - Best Restaurants in Monarch Beach ›
Motif Restaurant at the St. Regis Resort Monarch Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelQuiet
great for outdoor dining (16)special occasion (13)scenic view (12)romantic (10)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (7)fit for foodies (6)good for groups (6)notable wine list (4)neighborhood gem (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- WowMichaelVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great place. They took care of us. They really made our anniversary specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovechocolateVIPDined on 9/3/2014Had breakfast here every morning, service is great! Esteban exceptional!! Ask for him. The a la carte menu selection is good, never had the buffet. Turkey bacon crisp delish, coffee great, whole wheat crepes good, fruit nice and fresh. Surprised they don't have any gluten free options like cookies or muffins and I was told the gf pancakes were not good. The gf French toast was not to my liking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic eveningStarwood58Dined on 8/22/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our evening of celebration for the 2 of us. Went with the recommendation of our waiter on the featured wine for the evening. It was wonderful. Had the black cod and it was cooked perfectly. The dessert was a molten cake and was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid this restuarantComfortFoodieVIPDined on 8/18/2014We ate here with the kids for dinner one night when it was getting late and we wanted to eat on property. It turned out to be a terrible dining experience. First of all, the restuarnt is taking advantage of little kids who order the childrens buffet which consists of COLD corn dogs and fries that have been sitting under a heat lamp for hours. The other food was OK, but it took forever to arrive even though the restuarnt was half empty. The servers were pleasant but ineffective in providing acceptable service. While you may be tempted to eat here for the conveninece of it, Motif is a restuarant to avoid if at all possib
- Excellent food and locationOc2005Dined on 8/18/2014Enjoyed a lunch date with friends. Would go back again. Food was good, service good, and pretty views.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Want romantic dinner-look elsewhereJytfVIPDined on 8/15/2014Kids running around everywhere!! The food was pretty good and the views fantastic but there are kids running everywhere so it was less than ideal for my wife and I.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/11/2014Nice quite restaurant at the St. Regis Resort. Service was outstanding.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/9/2014Comfortable restaurant, great service. Food was adequate at best. Not horrible, but not very good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/8/2014Pretty restaurant with comfortable seating. Service was awesome. Food wasn't horrible, but it wasn't very good.
- This meal pales to previous explindaVIPDined on 7/8/2014Unfortunately it pales in comparison to the previous night. The catch of the day was pan seared scallops (which is a shame as i planned to order the sea bass which was offered on perious night ) so instead, i went with the burger. i asked for medium rare, but the burger came out WELL DONE and DRY. server didnt even ask if i wanted cheese (upsell?..) my partner ordered the salmon with pasta. it was good but also more charred/dry than expected. the server (lady, blonde, thin) was not very attentative. Miguel (server on night prior) was phenomenal! to top it off, we had to endure a group of screaming adolescents/teens running through our meal. (we were seated at the corner table, at the top of the stairs. where were the parents?!Special Features:
- great ambiance, best kept secretrobinocVIPDined on 6/28/2014We always like to come here when we have chance. The restaurant never seems to be busy for dinner, which is great, because you can always get a nice table with a view. I think people who stay at the hotel tend to either go to Stonehill Tavern for dinner (which we do not care for) or off the property. However, the food is excellent at Motif and you can't beat the views- if you dine outside, as we always do. There are heat lamps if you are cold. They use the freshest ingredients and the good presentations are wonderful. For what you get, the prices are not that bad. I think it's a more romantic place due the views and setting, but I usually also see kids there dining with their families, so it works for all.Special Features:
- Perfect dressy casual dining spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Service is the best I've experience in a long time. Good is fantastic!!! We will definitely go back and is highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteluvavlfoodDined on 6/19/2014Food, service and setting all top notch. A lovely and memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous and DelishLuv2GetWaitedOnDined on 6/7/2014I had seen the St Regis on TV and it did not disappoint. First of all, the employees are all so friendly and welcoming. We were directed to the restaurant and offered a lovely seat outside. Umbrellas were made available and placement adjusted for optimum shade. The view of thee ocean is gorgeous. Our wait staff was attentive, professional and delightful. So sincere. You can tell they take pride in their work. We enjoyed a wonderful cobb salad and delicious roast beef sandwich. And celebrated with a divine cocktail, the California Dream. How appropo! Afterwards we explored the grounds where a wedding was being set up. The swimming pools looked inviting. The gift shops were fun, too. We plan to come to stay next time and spa!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 105 reviews are from the Motif Restaurant at the St. Regis Resort Monarch Beach reviews archive.
- BreakfastLovingtheBeachDined on 5/17/2014I was disappointed this trip because the coffee was luke warm twice while dining and my friend had to send her food back because it wasn't prepared the way she ordered it. This meant I had to wait to eat out of politeness which resulted in my food getting cold. The servers were exceptional which made up for the issue and as always, it is a beautiful place to enjoy breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50thanniversaryDined on 5/10/2014This was our 50th anniversary dinner with our 2 children and spouses and setting was spectacular. WE walked in the garden behind and that was wonderful and so was the outside seating. We were inside which was also very beautiful. The menu suited our family perfectly and the service was quick and food perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay.BlondieDined on 3/24/2014Good service. Okay food. No ambience. It's just a big room with tables. We had breakfast at the same restuarant and they were dragging tables and chairs around while we ate. There are much better places to eat in Laguna!
- Liked it a lototis1Dined on 12/18/2013Beautiful location. Food very good. Service very attentive and professional. The experience made our special occasion all the more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold and averageAllanah2000VIPDined on 12/4/2013Though the service was good the food was no better than an average Tourist trap restaurant for a 5 star hotel they really must get this restaurant sorted.
- Motif ... Never againTonyDined on 10/12/2013Food is mediocre. Service is horrendous, you get appetizers, salads and main course all at the same time. Don't be surprised if you see some hotel guests walking in with their bathrobes.
- Leaves much to be desiredGraemeDined on 10/4/2013Came here for my wedding lunch and service, be it reception, wait staff or valet is slower than molasses. Be prepared to wait 20 minutes min for ANYTHING. But I suppose the people dining here are not reading these reviews, so I L keep it shortSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!amarieDined on 9/30/2013The Lobster salad is amazing and our fish was cooked perfectly. Service was spot on!Special Features:
- Poor serviceTeruchenkoDined on 9/17/2013I was expected nice service at the restaurant in the Hotel , especially like St. Regis but my image was broken. A service parson is not friendly and she seems not want to work. The restaurant was not totally busy at that time. I think there is not next time at this restaurant.Special Features:
- Doesn't live up to expectationkuitutuDined on 8/27/2013Motif has the potential to be a romantic restaurant with the Romanesque garden next to it but the food and service just didn't match up. The wild mushroom tortellini I had was dry and rubbery. The chef forgot the salt. The sea bass and seafood stew my friends had were equally forgettable. Servers were impersonal and inattentive.
- Great Food, but Slow ServiceDavePDined on 7/27/2013I took a group of clients (9 total) for dinner, and the food was delicious. The service was slow and our server didn't check in very often to make sure we had refills of drinks. It was a little disappointing consdiering that the Motiff is part of the highly rate St Regis Monarch Beach Resort. I will try it again for the food, but it may be more appropriate for groups of 6 or less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing foodSydneyVIPDined on 7/9/2013Beautiful hotel and ambianc however the food was expensive and disappointingSpecial Features:
- Not a good choice for stay or dininOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/10/2013This is my first time visit this ST. REGIS location. And, definitely is the last time. The food is fair. It's not beside the beach. You can't walk to the beach, a little bit far. They have the transpotation can take you there. But, it's not very comfortable. Inside the MOTIF, there is a bad smell like the kitchen area is pouring all the oil and smoke out. Comparing to Ritz-Carlton, I'll never come to this hotel again. The Ritz-Carlton will always be my first choice. I went there twice and feel better and better.Special Features:
- not what we were expectingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/25/2013Railing blocked ocean view, too many kids with their nannies, go at 7:00 or later for better experienceSpecial Features:
- Excellent Service at DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/13/2013Would have preferred out door dining, but it was beautiful inside as well. Didn't order an appetizer like my husband, but they still brought me a taste of one of their soups. It was excellent and unexpected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster had a bit of ammonia smellOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2013At 48 per plate, this was a bummer. The rest of the food and wine was great though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was pretty good, butOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013Food was pretty good, but the service and view were great. There is a small but nice park next to the resort that you can walk around after lunch/dinner.Special Features:
- The food was delicious andsnickelsDined on 4/23/2013The food was delicious and service was outstanding!Special Features:
- Wait staff could be more attentive.LAFoodVIPDined on 3/1/2013The food was pricey, but pretty good. However, the waitstaff could be a lot more attentive. I had to repeatedly ask for drinks and the more water. For a top resort, the staff appeared poorly motivated and did not care much after your ordered .Special Features:
- Our mid-week birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/13/2013Our mid-week birthday celebration breakfast was lovely. Among the four of us we tried every section of the menu. The server took our questions seriously and made excellent suggestions. The fresh grapefruit was notable--better than our best markets and beautifully presented. I had the chilaquiles and this everyday Mexican dish was a delight--great flavor without too much heat. It was the hit of the table.As far as setting, the room is beautiful although the best morning views can be had from the little cafe.Special Features:
- AvoidOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/28/2012Food was poor at best. Fire broke out in kitchen and came into dining room. Staff kept saying no fires but alarms went off as soon as we left. Go to the tavern upstairs its much much better.
- Motif restaurant is #1.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/28/2012Our first experience in the south bay and we were fortunate to have breakfast at motif including brunch on Sunday. The food was top rate and service even better. We had a great table outdoor on the balcony overlooking the resort grounds. We will never forget the wonderful experience. Motif has an exceptional chef and service. I particularly enjoyed the duck breast and the dessertsSpecial Features:
- Food was amazing....Crab LouieOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/24/2012Food was amazing....Crab Louie salad...I have to go back for another meal. Thank you! The service was attentive and nice. The view of the ocean and pool was exceptional.Special Features:
- Excellent service and theDelightedVIPDined on 12/18/2012Excellent service and the food was excellently prepared. The breads were also terrific. Pretty expensive but tolerable for special occasionSpecial Features:
- Outstanding service. VerymoblaVIPDined on 12/12/2012Outstanding service. Very warm and friendly staff. Food and ambience excellent. Extremely attentive to special celebrations especially wedding Anniversaries. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- As local residents we've visitedChefstewVIPDined on 11/30/2012As local residents we've visited Motif for afternoon tea on a few occasions. We decided to try for dinner. The menu offering are limited, the room at night lacks any ambiance, and it seems to be more geared towards the stroller set and children. The servers are very nice, but the experience lacks and of the sophistication of the resorts other F & B outlets at dinner. A cheese plate was dropped off at our table without even a mention of what we might be trying. We will stick to Stonehill Tavern from this point forward for dinner.Special Features: