Moti Mahal Restaurant -17th Ave
1805 14th St. SW
Calgary, AB T2t3t1Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Moti Mahal Restaurant -17th Ave
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.motimahal.ca/
- Phone: 4032289990
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 1:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Indian
- Executive Chef: Harjit Mann
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Moti Mahal Restaurant -17th Ave
Moti Mahal is a family run Indian Restaurant with an emphasis on quality ingredients. We use local, Alberta products whenever possible. Come for the authentic Indian food, stay for the cocktails and wine. VOTED BEST INDIAN RESTAURANT by FFWD Weekly 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. VOTED BEST INDIAN by Avenue Magazine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Moti Mahal Restaurant -17th Ave reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (9)special occasion (4)great for lunch (3)romantic (3)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Don DDonsafanDined on 10/10/2014The selection of food on the Buffet was excellent and fresh. Great flavor and you did have the option of ordering from the menu. The staff was prompt, courteous and experienced to the point they answered every question thoroughly. I can't wait to go there for Dinner with my wife.Special Features:
- Great food and service!MasonDined on 8/23/2014This is my first time dining at the 14th Street locations, but have been to the Midnapore location a few times. Always good food, and a nice variety plus dishes not found at every other Indian restaurant. Saturday night was busy and I recommend a reservation. Our table was ready when we walked in and the server Sharlene was attentive, smiling and friendly. Altogether a very enjoyable meal at a reasonable price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Perfect food, service, price :) will be back...alot!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkayWoodOvenGuyVIPDined on 7/24/2014The food was just okay - not bad but not as good as I have had before. I would still come back again.Special Features:
- Great local favourite.fivestarjunkieDined on 7/6/2014We have enjoyed the Moti Mahal since arriving in Calgary 4 years ago. Being from England (with long ties to India and a vibrant Indian heritage population) we initially struggled to find a good Indian restaurant in town. We were happy to find this place with good Indian food and an up-market twist. Would recommend to others - some great tastes on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 67 reviews are from the Moti Mahal Restaurant -17th Ave reviews archive.
- Will return again soon!KeverrrrsDined on 6/1/2014We found that every bite was a 'Pause, Hmmmm, savor, then smile'! It was a while since we were here but we won't wait so long to come back! Each item ordered was even better then we expected. The waiter helped us with a few of his recommendations too. He did well! :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeFoodL62Dined on 5/31/2014We love the food ,ambience,service.Every time we come we like it more.Special Features:
- Simply excellentfrees33VIPDined on 5/20/2014This was my first time at Moti Mahal and it was fantastic. The waitress was very helpful in helping a rookie such as myself order and everything she recommended was delicious. I would highly recommend Moti Mahal to anyone, whether you've tried Indian food before or not. You certainly won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyprettywomanDined on 5/6/2014the food is superb!! we were recommended to try the chili fish....awesome!Special Features:
- Super busyeatsleeprepeatVIPDined on 5/2/2014The restaurant was packed when we got there; had to wait about 15 minutes after our reservation time (maybe next time I won't show up early) before we were seated. Service was great and definitely made up for it. Food was overall tasty, just not memorable. Great vibe since there were a lot of people.Special Features:
- Moti Mahal Consistently Fine FoodCindylouwhoVIPDined on 4/5/2014Moti Mahal is a long time favourite of mine, both for take out and for eating in. Their lunch buffet is excellent, with a lot of variety and different flavours. Ordering a la carte in the evening provides a greater range of choices and consistently good food. This is a great place to go for moderately priced food of high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!DKyycVIPDined on 3/21/2014Amazing as always, the food is delicious, the service is prompt, and overall a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good neighborhood restaurantversailleDined on 3/15/2014Very very good Indian food. Service was also excellent! Will go again for sure!I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had our kids in tow anddsouth20Dined on 3/15/2014We had our kids in tow and they thoroughly enjoyed the delicious food here! We are so happy to now say that they have declared it the or favourite food and best restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food, attentive butdinerDined on 3/14/2014Lovely food, attentive but discrete service, and a nice intimate atmosphere. Altogether a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/6/2014Six of us came here for my mom's birthday dinner. The service was really good and the food was excellent. It's a little pricier than some of the other Indian restaurants in the area but still quite reasonable and the food was really delicious. We ordered 2 appetizers (including a sampler plate), 5 main dishes, 1 order of rice and 3 orders of naan. It was the perfect amount for 6 of us. It cost around $25 each including tax and tip (excluding alcohol). It was a little loud so a bit difficult to hear each other at far ends of the table but not so bad that we couldn't talk. Service was fast and friendly. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining overallIluvfoodDined on 2/27/2014I have to say that this restaurant was fabulous, excellent service without being over the top. The food was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic as alwaysDavidC74Dined on 2/15/2014Moti Mahal is one of my favourite restaurants, with great Indian food and fantastic service. We had lots of questions about the food and the Server answered them all and provided suggestions too. It was another great dining experience, you should go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is consistently great.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013Food is consistently great. Service is attentive without being over the topSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Indian foodMopigDined on 12/20/2013Good food, amazing service and a nice price makes this restaurant a favourite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!luvfoodDined on 12/14/2013The food is always amazing. The more people the better so you can try more things :-) Everything is delicious!Special Features:
- ShazamDined on 12/7/2013Consistently good - with good service for a fairly busy spot. Best East Indian in Calgary.
- Very RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/30/2013We ate there this last Saturday night and enjoyed it immensely. The food was amazing. The service was top notch and the ambiance was perfect for our romantic date. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2013Really enjoyed my dining experience last week. The food was really amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moti Mahal does it againRHC1Dined on 9/24/2013Moti Mahal is an excellent Indian restaurant with dishes that have well balanced flavours nicely spiced. Each of the range of dishes on the menu are delicious. The restaurant can easily cope with dietary allergies such as gluten and dairy free requirements. A local gem just off 17th Ave SW and 14th St SW.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2013I haven't had an off night at Moti mahal in 14 yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing that bothLinzVIPDined on 9/7/2013Very disappointing that both Cobra and Beck's (non-alcoholic) were on the menu and neither were available. A curry requires a Cobra!!!
- Heat over FlavourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/7/2013There seems to be a trend here to over spice the food and in doing so creating heat, but then some of the delicate flavours used in Indian food are lost. This was once my favourite in Calgary but this trend has been very disappointing and it is not a regular spot for us any more.
- Excellent Indian CuisinekertehdonDined on 9/4/2013This has become our favorite Indian restaurant whenever the must have curry moment occurs. Great menu selections, very good service and a great time for a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- There's a reason they are #1BrenEdVIPDined on 8/23/2013Our first foray into Indian cuisine and what an introduction! Our friends ordered several dishes for us to sample and all were amazing! We will definitely go back on our own soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Food I've Ever Had!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/12/2013My wife and I thought we would try this place for the first time and it was the most authentic tasting Indian food we had ever tried! Great atmosphere and kind service make this a place I'd go back to in a minute! I also look forward to trying their lunch buffet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good quality curryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2013with dependable service and nice ambience. Definitely will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and good serviceBillJDined on 7/20/2013Great food and good service but the wine list really needs some work.Special Features:
- Not as good as previous visitshandbagladyDined on 7/19/2013Food was very good, but many years ago Moti Mahal was the first time I'd experienced Indian food, and it blew me away on that first visit. Since then, we've tried many other restaurants around the province, and as a result I was a bit disappointed with our return visit here. Everything was just a bit bland for my tastes, and the butter chicken just didn't have the pop I remembered. Good meal, but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealCalgaryDinerDined on 7/13/2013We are frquent diners at Moti Mahal, this evening we made a late reservation on open table that didn't get converyed to the restautant. they were still able to acoomodate us and sat us almost immediately. We had an excellent mael, with my favourite being the Moti Special plate. The food is very tasty and never fails to deliver. We will continue to be frequent diners as Moti Mohal is so consistent and always very high quality.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & Great Servicetom050VIPDined on 6/23/2013The last minute reservation did not dissapoint. The food was quick and very delicious. The server was very knowledgable and provided excellent guidance on the menu selections. Wine selections were also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/8/2013As a lover of the Indian cuisine, I always enjoy the quality of food at moti mahal that surpasses the quality of its chain-competitors. I love the little accents off pride they put into the dining experience such as their diningware.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny portions and mediocre,OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/8/2013Tiny portions and mediocre, surprisingly expensive food. Below average for Calgary indian food.
- Always a charm!GlutenfreefoodieDined on 6/7/2013As always the food and service were great! They were able to easily accommodate our gluten free needs and provide very tasty food!Special Features:
- Great Indian Restaurant, goodBillJDined on 5/18/2013Great Indian Restaurant, good food, but the win list could use some help.Special Features: