Moss Beach Distillery
140 Beach Way
Moss Beach, CA 94038Neighborhood:
Half Moon Bay
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Moss Beach Distillery
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mossbeachdistillery.com/
- Phone: (650) 728-5595
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Thursday 12:00pm - 7:45 last seating
Friday 12:00pm - 8:15 last seating
For same day reservations, winter closing hours vary so please call ahead to confirm closing time.
Saturday: 11:00 (brunch/lunch) - 8:15 last seating
Sunday: 11:00 (brunch/lunch) - 7:45 last seating
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Moss Beach Distillery
This historic restaurant dates back to the 1920's and has been a favorite ocean view restaurant for many people worldwide. Guests marvel at the view of the Pacific Ocean while enjoying the Distillery's excellent cuisine including fabulous prime steaks and fresh seafood favorites. Relax by the patio firepits and enjoy the ocean view while snuggling under a cozy, warm blanket. Bring your furry friend along because the heated patio is very dog friendly. The restaurant even provides a doggie menu that is specifically designed for dogs featuring mini burgers and grilled hot dogs. The resident "Blue Lady" ghost, as featured on Unsolved Mysteries, may even decide to enhance your Distillery Experience!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Moss Beach Distillery - Best Restaurants in Half Moon Bay ›
Moss Beach Distillery reviews from OpenTable diners
109 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (101)great for outdoor dining (56)special occasion (54)romantic (47)great for lunch (42)great for brunch (36)neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (25)good for groups (24)kid-friendly (21)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (8)late-night find (5)notable wine list (3)Show More
- Nice ViewsOTReviewerVIPDined on 11/23/2014The location was great, with beautiful views over the ocean, especially if you're sitting outside. The outdoor patio has thick blankets for patrons to use to keep warm, which is nice. They also have dog beds, as most people brunching outdoors on a November day like us had brought their pets with them. But it's pretty much self-service if you sit outside; you place your order at the bar, carry down your drinks and silverware, and then they'll bring your food. Getting condiments and such was a little difficult. And the unlimited aspects of brunch (drinks, pastries) meant unwrapping from the blankets and climbing back up their stairs every time. For teetotalers like me, brunch was not a good deal. I would have loved to eat the brunch food, but the regular lunch menu had some good options. The food was tasty and plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbeatable AmbianceJennibradDined on 11/6/2014The atmosphere and view is unrivaled. Watching the sun set, while being warmed by a fire and under a nice thick wool blanket was heaven! I would definitely love to visit again, but only for a drink. The food left a lot to be desired. Had the Pesto Stuffed Salmon. Wife had the Chicken. Neither was particularly tasty. If the food was as good as the ambience, this place would be culinary paradise!Special Features:
- Ocean view on a quiet MondayAcaciaHDined on 11/3/2014Went to lunch on a quiet Monday with a group of 5 and scored a view of the ocean. Kale salad with quinoa, macadamia nuts & add grilled shrimp a hit. Others had calamari, seafood platter, ahi sandwich. Hot fresh rolls left no room for extra garlic fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Birthday BrunchCITCincinnatiDined on 11/2/2014I had wanted to eat here for a long time and finally made it. The Bananas Foster pancakes were great, but the chocolate birthday cake was incredibly delicious!Special Features:
- Halloween at the DistilleryjonibDined on 10/31/2014It was a fun place to go for Halloween with our group of nine. We enjoyed the Friday night special very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our FavoriteRenieVIPDined on 10/29/2014Moss Beach Distillery continues to be our special occasion restaurant. The food choices are great and so is the service! Beautiful views of the ocean from many different areas in the restaurant!Special Features:
- Go for the view not the foodLocaldinerDined on 10/28/2014The view is spectacular from here. Drinks are good but the food is pricey and mediocre at best.Special Features:
- Wanted to Like ItKathyHMBDined on 10/26/2014This restaurant has a notable location and potential to be special, but every time I go, something is lacking. Perhaps for the price, I am expecting more in terms of either a tablecloth, better service or food..Special Features:
- Outside great, inside not so muchMarkandMissJennyDined on 10/18/2014Beautiful outdoor patio with fire pits. Nice place to have a drink and some snacks. Inside the restaurant, the décor and furniture are tired and old. Looks like it hasn't been spruced up in a while. The ceilings are high and the layout of the restaurant is a bit awkward. That said, I'd go directly to the back deck which has a spectacular view and a relaxed vibe.Special Features:
- Fresh from the freezerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/17/2014in years past the distillery had good fresh fish. Now days hard to find something that wasn't friedSpecial Features:
- Best ever!ChaChaDined on 10/12/2014My husband surprised me by taking me to this spot and boy I loved it and I didn't want to leave that's all I can say. I ate until I popped (smile).Special Features:
- 40th bday celebrationMissyd408Dined on 10/11/2014I have been here before but my boyfriend took me here for my 40th bday and we had a great time! Food was excellent, waitress was great, brought me cake with a candle with ice cream and took a pic with the Polaroid camera (haven't seen those forever) to capture the moment, free of charge. After we retreated to the outside patio overlooking the ocean and enjoyed the crashing of waves, snuggling under a blanket in front of a roaring fire in the pit....HEAVEN. Love this place.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 1999VIPDined on 10/11/2014Well, they don't manage their reservations very well--we waited a half-hour, and finally got into a freezing dining room. After we asked the waiter if it was always that cold, he got the air conditioning turned off which made it a lot better. The food was actually very good, especially the fried artichokes, and the waiter was nice but the experience was a downer.Special Features:
- Incredible ocean viewMikeSDined on 10/11/2014Arrived for lunch when they opened at noon. Seated immediately at the window. Excellent service, food was very nice. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful scenic view!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014We celebrated a birthday and Had a wonderful time. Ambiance and Service was awesome!!! Food was delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top-notch setting. Else? Meh.jrepDined on 10/4/2014The star, here, is the ocean view. The open-seating, kid- and dog-friendly patio plays a worthy supporting role. The menu was diverse and harmless, but if there's anything there that would justify the price in a less-spectacular setting, we didn't find it. The reserved-table inside area, cramped and run down, felt like even its better days had seen better days. While a definite cut above a sand-side taco stand, the facility seemed more to invite worn-out flip-flops than actual shoes. The over-worked wait-staff tried to raise the tone, but it's hard to be gracious while counting the minutes until your shift ends. Justifiably crowded right around sunset, and relaxed and communal out on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ApplepieDined on 10/3/2014my wife and I went there for dinner we were for are 17th year wedding anniversary. we had a great time very romantic scenery. it was great to watch the sunset. the food was great and the service was wonderful and fast. we will be back. thank you everyone for making that night a great night for us all the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely timeLOFODined on 9/23/2014My honey and I go here for excellent fish and a dose of sea air.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a nice place.JamesDined on 9/21/2014Been coming here off and on for years. Seems to get better with each visit. . Great memories to take home and return with.Special Features:
- Kat711Dined on 9/16/2014We celebrated our anniversary here, and had a wonderful evening. I had the fish tacos and grilled veggies, which were delicious!! My husband enjoyed his meal as well. The service was great and you can't beat the view. The fire pit outside was a romantic place to end the evening. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LMDfoodyDined on 9/9/2014Service was great, views were beautiful, food was awesome, enjoyed our birthday lunch so much going back for anniversary dinner.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RICHARD697Dined on 9/8/2014Food was very stogy vegetables were overcooked and presentation un exciting. It certainly didnt live up to the hype on the web site.Considering the price it was poor value and we have had much better food at half the price in the same areaSpecial Features:
- Great view, great food.daughterDined on 9/3/2014We brought our elderly parents here for their anniversary on a weeknight. Because our parents like to eat early, we arrived when the restaurant was almost empty. The waitress was very attentive. The food was excellent and the view was lovely. They even brought a dessert for the folks to share, and took a Polaroid picture for them to take home. It was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful sunset....delish foodYumYumDined on 8/31/2014We had a great dinner at The Distillery. Such a wonderful setting....sitting outside by the fire pit overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Can't beat it!Special Features:
- Loved it!SuperDined on 8/31/2014Dining views don't get much better than this, overlooking the ocean! Service was prompt and courteous, bloody mary's were terrific, clam chowder was one of the best we've ever had and the food was very good and came out quickly. Disappointed they don't serve cioppino anymore, was always the best! Had not been here in a couple years but will be going back more often!Special Features:
- Nice Saturday eveningcassofrassDined on 8/30/2014Thank you for a great evening. I had a wonderful time visiting and showing my girlfriend this gem on the northern Cali coast. She's from Texas so scenery like this is new to her. Katrina was my server and she was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we thought it would beGiguDined on 8/30/2014We went to sit outside with our dog, which they allow, however the website makes it look a lot better than it is. They have no service outside, you have to go and get your drinks and food from the service bar and the menu is a limited menu. If you want full menu, you have to order from the bar upstairs. The food offered was mostly fried and greasy and way overpriced. The view was great, but, everything else, not so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014We arrived at 5pm which gave us sufficient time to have dinner in the restuarant upstairs before heading down to the outdoor patio for a digestif with the most perfect view of the sunset on the Pacific ocean. Couldn't have asked for a better evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but..........JimmymacVIPDined on 8/23/2014If you are on the coast, this is a nice lunch spot with nice views of the ocean. The menu is limited and although the food was good, it was really overpriced. Service was excellent. we had the fish tacos which were OK and the Stuffed Salmon (farmed) with a pesto sauce and that too was OK ,but both dishes were overpriced !
- Love this place!SfnativeVIPDined on 8/17/2014They made my mom feel so special on her birthday they even took a photo of her and put it into a little Moss Beach Distillery memory booklet. So very caring. I love this place. It still is ran like the old days when people cared about their clients and not just about how many meals you served.Special Features:
- KentDined on 8/16/2014Great food, courteous staff and magnificent view. A great place for a romantic dinner or to get together with friendsSpecial Features:
- Overall satisfactionStellaDined on 8/16/2014This restaurant combines a wonderful location, delicious food and a gorgeous view! And the outdoor patio is dog friendly. A great place to go and you do not need to get dressed up.Special Features:
- go for the view, enjoy the foodcoastaldinerDined on 8/16/2014I pick MBD for my birthday dinner because I love the beach (thus the 5 stars for ambience). Very much enjoyed our evening which began with casual cocktails on the deck overlooking the ocean and proceeded to dinner indoors, upstairs, but still overlooking the ocean. Surprisingly good food for a very casual and not outrageously expensive local. From salads to oysters to sweet potato fries, pot roast, chicken with pasta and Filet steak - everything was very good. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean ViewiolavolaVIPDined on 8/15/2014We enjoyed finding this secluded place right on the ocean. The view is spectacular and a unique atmosphere because the restaurant once was a "haunted house," so they say. We found the food very good but somewhat pricey. Particularly the drinks. Great place to take visitors who come from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View and history worth checking outOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/15/2014I was glad to have an Open Table reservation despite planning on a weekday lunch at restaurant opening as several groups of people arrived just after us, all of us waiting for the door to be unlocked. The waitress steered me to try the fish tacos. The homemade Jalisco style corn tortillas did make for tasty grilled pollack with lime aioli and pico de gallo. My mother's crab cakes were nicely presented. Distillery Steamers have large pesto garlic toast accompanying the Manila clams, so it would be best to skip the bread that comes out ahead!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View & Great FoodKerryloves2travelDined on 8/12/2014This place is a great little gem with a beautiful view! Portions are very large- Beet & Arugula salad we split & it was more than enough for both of us. Clams were wonderful in flavorful broth & had 6 pieces of garlic bread to dip in! Note- Happy Hour in bar only has oysters for 1.25 and all drinks, even wine, half off! Great deal. Service was quick & friendly. Will be back .Special Features:
- PankoNickyDined on 8/9/2014Went there for dinner. The crab cakes were extremely salty. Wouldn't order the panko crusted salmon with pesto on top again (what was I thinking?!). Plenty of veggies, and the wild rice was alright. Prices were high for the quality of the food, so we assumed we were paying for the view. Staff was friendly. By dinner time it seemed like they had had a long and tiring day though. Would maybe go back to have a drink on the (dog friendly) patio sometime. The fire pits looked nice, and the view is awesome.Special Features:
- Great dinner!HawkeyeDined on 8/8/2014We went there for our anniversary. Not a quiet spot, but the food and ambience were very good. The happy hour specials were great and highly recommended. Many people were going downstairs - will check this out on our next visit. We had a great table with a fantastic ocean view. We were pleasantly surprised when the server took our photo after dinner. We now have a nice momento from our anniversary.Special Features:
- Great historic ocean view diningOklahomaDined on 8/4/2014Historic building Great food Wonderful view of the oceanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Viewsluv4teasDined on 8/2/2014Nice Views and good size portions. The sole was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.