Moss Beach Distillery
140 Beach Way
Moss Beach, CA 94038Neighborhood:
Half Moon Bay
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Moss Beach Distillery
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.mossbeachdistillery.com/
- Phone: 6507285595x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Thursday 12:00pm - 7:45 last seating
Friday 12:00pm - 8:15 last seating
For same day reservations, winter closing hours vary so please call ahead to confirm closing time.
Saturday: 11:00 (brunch/lunch) - 8:15 last seating
Sunday: 11:00 (brunch/lunch) - 7:45 last seating
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Moss Beach Distillery
This historic restaurant dates back to the 1920's and has been a favorite ocean view restaurant for many people worldwide. Guests marvel at the view of the Pacific Ocean while enjoying the Distillery's excellent cuisine including fabulous prime steaks and fresh seafood favorites. Relax by the patio firepits and enjoy the ocean view while snuggling under a cozy, warm blanket. Bring your furry friend along because the heated patio is very dog friendly. The restaurant even provides a doggie menu that is specifically designed for dogs featuring mini burgers and grilled hot dogs. The resident "Blue Lady" ghost, as featured on Unsolved Mysteries, may even decide to enhance your Distillery Experience!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Moss Beach Distillery - Best Restaurants in Half Moon Bay ›
Moss Beach Distillery reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (91)special occasion (53)romantic (45)great for lunch (44)great for outdoor dining (43)great for brunch (34)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (19)fit for foodies (19)kid-friendly (15)hot spot (9)notable wine list (5)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- Lovely timeLOFODined on 9/23/2014My honey and I go here for excellent fish and a dose of sea air.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a nice place.JamesDined on 9/21/2014Been coming here off and on for years. Seems to get better with each visit. . Great memories to take home and return with.Special Features:
- Kat711Dined on 9/16/2014We celebrated our anniversary here, and had a wonderful evening. I had the fish tacos and grilled veggies, which were delicious!! My husband enjoyed his meal as well. The service was great and you can't beat the view. The fire pit outside was a romantic place to end the evening. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LMDfoodyDined on 9/9/2014Service was great, views were beautiful, food was awesome, enjoyed our birthday lunch so much going back for anniversary dinner.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RICHARD697Dined on 9/8/2014Food was very stogy vegetables were overcooked and presentation un exciting. It certainly didnt live up to the hype on the web site.Considering the price it was poor value and we have had much better food at half the price in the same areaSpecial Features:
- Great view, great food.daughterDined on 9/3/2014We brought our elderly parents here for their anniversary on a weeknight. Because our parents like to eat early, we arrived when the restaurant was almost empty. The waitress was very attentive. The food was excellent and the view was lovely. They even brought a dessert for the folks to share, and took a Polaroid picture for them to take home. It was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful sunset....delish foodYumYumDined on 8/31/2014We had a great dinner at The Distillery. Such a wonderful setting....sitting outside by the fire pit overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Can't beat it!Special Features:
- Loved it!SuperDined on 8/31/2014Dining views don't get much better than this, overlooking the ocean! Service was prompt and courteous, bloody mary's were terrific, clam chowder was one of the best we've ever had and the food was very good and came out quickly. Disappointed they don't serve cioppino anymore, was always the best! Had not been here in a couple years but will be going back more often!Special Features:
- Nice Saturday eveningcassofrassDined on 8/30/2014Thank you for a great evening. I had a wonderful time visiting and showing my girlfriend this gem on the northern Cali coast. She's from Texas so scenery like this is new to her. Katrina was my server and she was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we thought it would beGiguDined on 8/30/2014We went to sit outside with our dog, which they allow, however the website makes it look a lot better than it is. They have no service outside, you have to go and get your drinks and food from the service bar and the menu is a limited menu. If you want full menu, you have to order from the bar upstairs. The food offered was mostly fried and greasy and way overpriced. The view was great, but, everything else, not so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014We arrived at 5pm which gave us sufficient time to have dinner in the restuarant upstairs before heading down to the outdoor patio for a digestif with the most perfect view of the sunset on the Pacific ocean. Couldn't have asked for a better evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but..........JimmymacVIPDined on 8/23/2014If you are on the coast, this is a nice lunch spot with nice views of the ocean. The menu is limited and although the food was good, it was really overpriced. Service was excellent. we had the fish tacos which were OK and the Stuffed Salmon (farmed) with a pesto sauce and that too was OK ,but both dishes were overpriced !
- Love this place!SfnativeVIPDined on 8/17/2014They made my mom feel so special on her birthday they even took a photo of her and put it into a little Moss Beach Distillery memory booklet. So very caring. I love this place. It still is ran like the old days when people cared about their clients and not just about how many meals you served.Special Features:
- KentDined on 8/16/2014Great food, courteous staff and magnificent view. A great place for a romantic dinner or to get together with friendsSpecial Features:
- Overall satisfactionStellaDined on 8/16/2014This restaurant combines a wonderful location, delicious food and a gorgeous view! And the outdoor patio is dog friendly. A great place to go and you do not need to get dressed up.Special Features:
- go for the view, enjoy the foodcoastaldinerDined on 8/16/2014I pick MBD for my birthday dinner because I love the beach (thus the 5 stars for ambience). Very much enjoyed our evening which began with casual cocktails on the deck overlooking the ocean and proceeded to dinner indoors, upstairs, but still overlooking the ocean. Surprisingly good food for a very casual and not outrageously expensive local. From salads to oysters to sweet potato fries, pot roast, chicken with pasta and Filet steak - everything was very good. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ocean ViewiolavolaVIPDined on 8/15/2014We enjoyed finding this secluded place right on the ocean. The view is spectacular and a unique atmosphere because the restaurant once was a "haunted house," so they say. We found the food very good but somewhat pricey. Particularly the drinks. Great place to take visitors who come from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View and history worth checking outOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/15/2014I was glad to have an Open Table reservation despite planning on a weekday lunch at restaurant opening as several groups of people arrived just after us, all of us waiting for the door to be unlocked. The waitress steered me to try the fish tacos. The homemade Jalisco style corn tortillas did make for tasty grilled pollack with lime aioli and pico de gallo. My mother's crab cakes were nicely presented. Distillery Steamers have large pesto garlic toast accompanying the Manila clams, so it would be best to skip the bread that comes out ahead!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View & Great FoodKerryloves2travelDined on 8/12/2014This place is a great little gem with a beautiful view! Portions are very large- Beet & Arugula salad we split & it was more than enough for both of us. Clams were wonderful in flavorful broth & had 6 pieces of garlic bread to dip in! Note- Happy Hour in bar only has oysters for 1.25 and all drinks, even wine, half off! Great deal. Service was quick & friendly. Will be back .Special Features:
- PankoNickyDined on 8/9/2014Went there for dinner. The crab cakes were extremely salty. Wouldn't order the panko crusted salmon with pesto on top again (what was I thinking?!). Plenty of veggies, and the wild rice was alright. Prices were high for the quality of the food, so we assumed we were paying for the view. Staff was friendly. By dinner time it seemed like they had had a long and tiring day though. Would maybe go back to have a drink on the (dog friendly) patio sometime. The fire pits looked nice, and the view is awesome.Special Features:
- Great dinner!HawkeyeDined on 8/8/2014We went there for our anniversary. Not a quiet spot, but the food and ambience were very good. The happy hour specials were great and highly recommended. Many people were going downstairs - will check this out on our next visit. We had a great table with a fantastic ocean view. We were pleasantly surprised when the server took our photo after dinner. We now have a nice momento from our anniversary.Special Features:
- Great historic ocean view diningOklahomaDined on 8/4/2014Historic building Great food Wonderful view of the oceanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Viewsluv4teasDined on 8/2/2014Nice Views and good size portions. The sole was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as always.Karen429VIPDined on 8/1/2014We keep coming back to this restaurant and we have never had a negative experience. The food is consistently delicious and the service is attentive without hovering. I had the steamers this time and the kitchen pays attention: there wasn't one unopened clam or one empty shell in the entire batch. And they were cooked perfectly; juicy & succulent, not rubbery. My husband had a beautiful char-broiled steak and licked his plate clean. It's a popular place, so we always make a reservation and doing that, usually get a window view table. But in that place, even if you're not by a window, the view is still very beautiful.Special Features:
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014Great food, and amazing setting. The history is ratcheting intriguing too,Special Features:
- Moss BeachiolavolaVIPDined on 8/1/2014This restaurant was all it was cracked up to be. Has a very good reputation.Special Features:
- very expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014Good food, but overpriced. though there's a nice view, the inside looks like a third rate cafe. Wait staff was not particularly professional. Oysters were very good.Special Features:
- Wonderful Ocean ViewWaterLeeLeeDined on 7/26/2014I always enjoy lunch at Moss Beach Distillery. The food & service is very good and the ocean view is spectacular. I always get the deep fried prawns which are big & delicious, and the beet & mandarin salad - excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely spotShastasMomDined on 7/24/2014An out-of-the-way historic building overlooking the coast-- nice spot to enjoy the views while having a mid-day bite or a relaxing dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placedarikDined on 7/22/2014Our server was very knowledgeable on the menu items we asked about. Service was very good, the view fantastic and the food was excellent. The coast sliders were amazing the tuna was seared perfectly.Special Features:
- 57yearsDined on 7/20/2014We expected more elegant dining. It is more of a neighborhood joint with limited menu.Special Features:
- luvdistilleryDined on 7/20/2014We love this restaurant. we went there two nights in a row, cancelling our reservation we had at another restaurant. we really enjoy the whole experience. first night we sat at a window table enjoying the view and people (and dog) watching, the second night we sat outside. Awesome place, we love it!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ViewRedMavenDined on 7/20/2014The food was amazing. Everyone in our party loved their food and that's saying something because people are picky. Each of us even ordered different items and all were fantastic and really big portions. The view of the cliffs and ocean surrounded by trees was so memorable. You could tell the food was fresh even the orange juice was fresh squezed! Only two small detractors; one - to me the coffee was not just strong but had a slight burnt taste, maybe it was just left on the burner too long and two - the bathrooms are two floors down. My Mom would barely be able to make it, though there is a wheelchair lift it's open and not a regular elevator.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice view and good foodMikeCVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had a very nice window view overlooking the ocean, and the seafood was very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/18/2014Service was mediocre. Sat at a table with dirty chairs. Waiter didn't even know about happy hour menu that is advertsied on their website, however, did agree to honor happy hour prices on drinks only (we dined in main dining room as opposed to bar area). When we received coffee at the end of our meal, were not offered cream and sugar. Once we asked for cream and sugar, we had to request teaspoons to mix. The restaurant was not overly crowded so it was not because they were busy. I think they just don't "think" about things.Special Features:
- Terrific serviceblueladyfanDined on 7/13/2014Wonderful food, but the quality of service from the host/hostess, to the bus boys to the servers is outstanding...consistently every time we go. The staff makes every creative attempt to accommodate every request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dog-Friendly PlaceaccordnguyVIPDined on 7/10/2014After reading an article on various restaurants that have menus specifically for dogs, we decided to try out Moss Beach Distillery. There is a special entrance located outside in the back of the restaurant for those who have brought their dogs. The view was spectacular - clear skies, the roar of the ocean. Bubba & Lucky, our 2 Bostons, "ordered" hamburger patties from their menu. We ordered fish & chips and a Turkey Club. The food was excellent. If you bring your dog, you need to order upstairs in the main dining area and then, when ready, you'll go back up to pick up the order; so, there really is no staff service. The menu prices were veryr easonable and a good time was had by all (especially Bubba & Lucky).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, the rest needs workmamakeestDined on 7/3/2014Great location and view, but the restaurant lacks that cared for feeling. From chipped paint, boxes left in the bar, old carpet, and heavy furniture, its as if they haven't really seen the restaurant since the 80's. The menu was dated, lots of fried shellfish but lacking in fresh, modern approach to seafood. The service was good, our waiter was very pleasant and helpful. After dinner we went downstairs to view the sunset on the patio. One firepit was out of order and the other had missing tiles. The wine pours are generous but not enough to make a return visit.
- Moss Beach DistilleryRoccaVIPDined on 6/29/2014Have been here in years. Great views of the ocean and great service. While entire choices seem a bit on thin side, all is good. Had the chicken saltin bocca. Real good. Would come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful settingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Great views from indoor and amazing views on outdoor patio. Beautiful historic location with a cool ghost story. Great food, but overpriced. 2 dinners, 2 drinks with tip over $100.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.