Mosaic Restaurant and Lounge- San Jose
211 S 1st St
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Mosaic Restaurant and Lounge- San Jose
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.mosaicdowntown.com/
- Phone: 4082828888x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily 6:30am-10:00am
Lunch: M-F 12:00am-2:00pm
Dinner: M-Sa 4:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: Su 4:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, Asian
- Executive Chef: Richard Yu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Mosaic features 2 private dining rooms.
1) adjacent to our in restaurant dining room, seats up to 32.
2) Within the Hotel Lobby, a full private room that can seat up to 30.
- Private Party Contact: Les 4082828888x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz band Friday nights 6pm - 9pm
A word from Mosaic Restaurant and Lounge- San Jose
Mosaic Restaurant and Lounge features traditional Asian and American cuisine. Located in the heart of downtown San Jose, within the Four Points by Sheraton Hotel, formally the Hotel Montgomery. Mosaic is a destination for great dining experiences,lounging with friends, specialty cocktails, and much much more.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
Mosaic Restaurant and Lounge- San Jose - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
Mosaic Restaurant and Lounge- San Jose reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (9)vibrant bar scene (8)romantic (8)good for groups (7)neighborhood gem (7)special occasion (6)great for outdoor dining (5)hot spot (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Love that cambogee beef!MarkRVIPDined on 9/19/2014I don't even know what "cambogee" means, but when that word is placed in front of the word "beef", it's a delight for my taste buds! The live jazz music on the weekend was a wonderful bonus.Special Features:
- nice decornicbDined on 9/13/2014Eh... it was alright. It was good. But nothing to rave about or seek out to return to this establishment.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014Fun place, but food, while decent, wasn't anything special.Special Features:
- Ambiance and convenienceFredDined on 9/11/2014The restaurant is conveniently located one block from the California Theater and makes an ideal place to dine before a show. Small plates and main entrees are very good, and service was prompt.Special Features:
- Loved It!bpsmithDined on 9/6/2014Everything about this place was wonderful. They have an amazing happy hour with 1/2 off apps and drink specials. One of the apps we tried was the pork steamed buns, and I have never had better...highly recommended! They have a nice bar area with comfy couches and chairs. Only gripe here is that they should pay attention to what is on the tv's, as we were left to watch an infomercial for half an hour before it was finally changed. Dinner was quick, correct, and simply amazing! If you try only one dish, make it the Camogee Beef: super tender chunks of beef and sauteed green beans in a tasty sauce. Ambiance was nice, noise level was peaceful and quiet. Will definitely consider this establishment again when we return to the area.Special Features:
- Vegetarian friendly, great serviceMihirThePizzaManVIPDined on 9/2/2014Many vegetarian options (though not marked on the menu) & they can replace oyster sauce for vegetarians. The portions are huge! We used a Groupon, & had a lot to take home. We would have been fine with an entree, an appetizer or soup, and a small portion of rice. We had the hot & sour soup which was very flavorful, vegetarian chow fun which was good but bland compared to the other flavorful items, mongolian vegetables with tofu which was cooked in a nice sauce, and fried tofu which was very good. Great service from Christine and Matthew. Elegant restaurant located in the 4 Points Sheraton.Special Features:
- Date nighthappyDined on 8/30/2014The food was great. The entire staff was attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to downtowngbtfromsjDined on 8/17/2014I have been to Mosaic twice now and really enjoyed it both times. Happy hour food is awesome, go with a group so you can try several things. We didnt have anything we didnt like and the Calamari and Spinach Dip were both great. Good drink specials as well, especially if you like mules. Its a nice addition to downtown and the outdoor patio, although it doesnt have a great view, is a nice spot. The service was a little slow, especially outside, but we were having a grand time so it wasnt a big deal.Special Features:
- Great find in Downtown San Josediner2013Dined on 8/16/2014First time to visit this restaurant and wasn't disappointed. We had the Cambogee Beef and the Garlic Pork Belly for entrees with Yang Chow Fried Rice. All were served family style. For appetizers we had the Pot Stickers. Both the entrees were delicious especially the Cambogee Beef. The beef was very tender and perfect bite-sized pieces. The sting beans were perfectly cooked and crunchy. The sauce was thick and slightly sweet. The Garlic Pork Belly was very tasty with tender pork. We would order these two dishes again. The rice was good but lacked a bit of seasoning. The Pot Stickers were also good but the wrap was a bit too thick and chewy. Overall, we enjoyed our dinner and would return to try other items on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid ExperienceSVDinerDined on 7/11/2014We came here for dinner on a Friday night. There was a party going at the bar and outside so it was pretty loud when we got there. As the party died down we were able to enjoy it a little more. The drinks - Great beer selection. I settled on a 3 philosophers but they also had selections from Allagash Saison to Old Rasputen. They had an OK wine selection as well. The food - Hot and Sour soup was really good and the friend calamari was on point. The Mongolian lamb was tasty and the candied prawns hit the spot. The service - We had a reservation but didn't need it. We had two servers help us throughout the night. They were both awesome; very attentive and made good recommendations. I would definitely recommend and we'll be back.Special Features:
- Delicious, but tough to park!MarkRVIPDined on 7/5/2014The food and service were both terrific, but they don't validate parking, so it's truly a crapshoot to find a spot. I had the crab cakes and the cambogee beef, and my taste buds were delighted!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comp'd parking; good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014While their OpenTable listing mentioned validated parking, the night we went there was something going on at the SAP Center and as a result, they were not validating parking. Be advised. The portion sizes of the entrees were more than adequate. They have some interesting Asian-Fusion entrees along with some American steak standards for others.
- Just give it a passGrubDudeDined on 6/19/2014Nothing in its favor except maybe the HH drinks, everything else was a huge letdown. The fake "Asian-y" nearly inedible selections, curry, crab puffs, etc. that arrived at our table were beyond terrible, and inexcusably so considering the ridiculous expense-account pricing in this over-rated low-rent hotel bar. Won't be back, ever.
- Very good spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/3/2014Great little spot on first street. Food was great and people were super friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/29/2014We were a bit rushed as we needed to get to the theater. Food was great. I got the Sesuan prawns, and my friend got the Mongolian Beef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 23 reviews are from the Mosaic Restaurant and Lounge- San Jose reviews archive.
- Enjoyable Food- Good Happy HourGirlSaysDoDined on 5/22/2014I found this place via Groupon, and it was very worth it! There's also a happy hour before 7 that has great prices for apps. We had spring egg rolls (standard good), potstickers (notably homemade & tasty!), beef chow mein (not enough vegetables- kinda plain), triple crown (seafood that the bf liked), and cambogee beef which was amazing and tender- very delicious! The beef was the best dish, and I highly recommend it. We didn't try any of the drinks but would come back for the happy hour. It was a hotel so the atmosphere isn't like a typical restaurant, but there was a group of people for a party, so it was lively.Special Features:
- Struggling and now worse!FoodieJDined on 5/19/2014Mosaic is so well located in a developing urban neighborhood near two live theatres and a twelve screen movie theatre. There are year around festivals and events at their doorstep and connected to a hotel. Both the hotel and restaurant were beautifully redecorated with the last sale and the restaurant renamed "Mosaic". Extremely long waits were previously a problem. This has been corrected. The Sauvignon Blanc was thin and watery. Disappointing, the wine turned out to be the highlight of the evening. But then the food arrived! We had smelled something burning earlier and the broccoli on our plate appeared as prime suspect. Mushy, glued together noodles, canned baby corn, overcooked vegetables and no flavor...We left hungry.
- Alright, I guessCarefulDined on 5/3/2014The salad hot & sour was not up to par for an Asian fusion restaurant. Neither was the Chinese salad. However the flank steak and filet mignon entrees were very good.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surpriseddowseatingoutDined on 4/27/2014Was a nice dining experience with friends. Not always sure about restaurants in Hotels, but this was very nice.Special Features:
- Excellent Fusion foodCalifSwissDined on 4/20/20142 appetizers, 2 entrees, 2 sides. Excellent, all of them. Friendly, prompt service. Pleasant athmosphere. The waiter was able to give clear descriptions of the dishes, and recommended a nice wine.Special Features:
- Good meal. Give them a try.travelgirl58VIPDined on 4/20/2014Went on Easter Sunday as they were open when many others were closed. Unfortunately, the restaurant was empty which is too bad as the food is good overall. Nice ambience. Attached to Four Points Hotel so I think some are turned off by that. Prices for entrees were fair although wine and dessert were overpriced. $12 for lava cake with ice cream! The American entrees are a bit better value as they include sides while Asian dishes are a la carte. I had hangar steak and it was tasty. A little heavy on the salt but find that at a lot at restaurants. Lots of food for $19.99. Hubby had special 20oz rib-eye and took half home. His steak was delicious and I'd put it up against any I've had at Mortons. Here only $36 with sides! Service attentive.Special Features:
- An amazing restaurant...LisaDined on 3/22/2014I didn't know this place existed until I was doing research for my group of foodies for our monthly excursion to a restaurant we haven't tried before. The menu looked interesting and moderately priced. The cocktail selection is expansive and intriguing. :) The food was excellent, and our server was uber-attentive and bantered back and forth with me and my energetic companions. LOL I will definitely revisit this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!iOSGuyDined on 3/21/2014This was my second time there... Great food... Will be back!Special Features:
- Thank goodness for Intel, etc...IndaknowVIPDined on 3/19/2014Went for a nice dinner in downtown SJ, this was very close to our hotel ::: Menu seemed interesting, eclectic - yet from what we ordered, it was all just average to below average, a disappointing evening ::: Mosaic is very fortunate - their courtyard is ideal for serving cocktails and appetizers to the larger groups from Intel and other nearby tech businesses, which they host regularly and lavish attention on ::: For the average-Joe customer, you'll watch the action outside and think, hmmm, should have booked elsewhere...
- Delicious Asian foodTomSJVIPDined on 3/19/2014Food was incredibly good - definitely our favorite part of the place. We wanted outdoor seating but a group event had taken up ALL of it so that was a bummer- maybe next time around. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Good foodsr1442380Dined on 3/14/2014I bought the Groupon coupon and decided to try it. I ordered the lamb and it came on a hot plate which was good. The lamb itself was moist and tender but the sauce was a little too salty for my taste. I'm glad I got a side of rice with it otherwise it would have been too salty to eat. Other than that all the other stuff we ordered was pretty good.Special Features:
- Just what the Dr. Ordered!JazzJnkeVIPDined on 3/7/2014Staff is always friendly and the food was good. On Friday nights they have jazz. We come here often.Special Features:
- Night outkozmoandzadieDined on 3/1/2014My friend and I went to Mosaic because I had purchased a Groupon. We both thought the meal was excellent. The food was cooked perfectly. The prices were awesome. The service was great. However, there was a retirement party going on and the noise level of the party was quite high. It would definitely have made a difference if they would have had glass walls up to separate the area that they host parties in. This way, the ambiance of the restaurant would stay the same without interfering with the noise of the party and restaurant patrons who want to enjoy a quiet meal or romantic evening. Other than that, we will definitely be going back to Mosaic Restaurant when we are in the area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingMellDined on 3/1/2014This is seriously the best Chinese restaurant I have ever been to. I bought the Groupon for Mosaic Restaurant and I decided to come with my boyfriend and his parents. When we first walked in, we were blown away by how nice and classy the place looked. We loved the decor and how everything was set up. We ordered two appetizers: the calamari and the salted peppered shrimp. I would have to say those dishes were my favorite dishes of the night. I wish we could have ordered more of them, especially the shrimp. For our entrees, we ordered the pineapple fried rice, Mongolian stir fry, chicken chow mein and honey walnut prawns. Without a doubt, the best Chinese food I have ever had. We are definitely coming back to Mosaic Restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall A Great PlaceJohnVIPDined on 2/15/2014Started with a cocktail at the bar. Service was great with a wide variety of drinks. Our drinks were very good. Dinner was also excellent with fresh and flavorful options. We started with the BBQ pork buns and had Mongolian Beef Stir Fry and Honey Walnut Prawns. All were excellent, but the Prawns were my top pick. You can tell the chef takes pride in his dishes. I'll be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food With Great PriceEaglesNightDined on 1/31/2014Excellent food and service for a very good price relative to the other nearby restaurants with similar menus. I had the snow-crab stuffed salmon and my wife had the flat iron steak. Not only were the fish and steak prepared perfectly but so were the accompanying steamed vegetables and mashed potatoes. The next time I am in San Jose I will return to the Mosaic Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Good ServiceKRoseDined on 1/25/2014My husband and I had reservations for 6:30pm on a Saturday. When we got there we could see most of the restaurant was taken up by a huge birthday party. At first they tried to seat us at the bar because they had so few real tables left. I was not happy since we made reservations to sit down for dinner, not to eat at the bar. But within a few minutes of sitting us at the bar, they told us a table opened up and they moved us to it. Once seated, the service was great. We ordered numerous items that all came out slowly, but it was at a relaxing pace that allowed us to enjoy each item. We enjoyed all of the food, especially the scallop wanton soup and the stuffed tiger prawns. We would come back here is we were in the area again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Asian FlavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/20/2014Mosaic is another excellent restaurant in Downtown San Jose. The flavors are delicious. Wonderful crab cake appetizer. The entrees were even better. XO Peppered Lamb was savory and did not have the gaminess taste. Garlic Pork Belly was one of the most delicious interpretations of pork belly. Ginger Lobster Noodle was generously laced with chunks of lobster in a delicate ginger and scallion sauce. My wife and I will absolutely return to try other tempting menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor food qualityreviewerDined on 12/24/2013The veggie egg rolls seemed as if they were old and fried number of times Creme bruile dessert smelt densely of eggs. Food was not up to the mark
- Won't be returningFlanTobyDined on 12/14/2013Service was subpar, had to remind waitress about our drinks halfway onto dinner....would have brought this up sooner if she had bothered to check back with us. Busy night had a huge group that was hogging the staff....she comped the drinks which was nice but good wasn't impressive so we won't be dining there again
- When we came to this restaurantMindfulDined on 12/14/2013When we came to this restaurant it was really busy with a huge group before us so we waited a really long time to get our food and We all got really frustrated because we had a bunch of kids with us that were starving. The service really lacked in thoughtfulness and support. It's too bad because their food is really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried TofuaffordableCollectorVIPDined on 11/9/2013That was the best fried tofu I've had. So much so, I've been thinking about it and trying to find a reason to make the drive into downtown San Jose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generous portions, but priceyfoodie1Dined on 10/4/2013We order two appetisers (pork belly, calmari), large portions. Since there were only two of us, we didn't finish them as we wanted to save some room for our entre. The pork belly was surprizingly lean, and a bit dry. The calamari was good. We both ordered lamb: an XO Peppered lamb and an order of Mongolian sit fry (lamb). Both dishes looked/tasted similar, like beef, not lamb. It was very salty and mediocre. The service was friendly but we had to physically stand up and wave several times to get the attention of our waitstaff. There was only one other table dining, so it was not like she was too busy with other diners. She was firendly and chatty though whenever she came. I went ahead and left her a 25% tip.Special Features: